Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

I know that they had a lot of ex Star Trek writers involved. But as for why they started lightening up I am not sure. Richard Dean Anderson probably had lots to do with as Jack kind of evolved from a bitter hard rear end into someone enjoying how weird his job was. The time loop episode was something special.

They even actually made effort to evolve Teal'c as a character over time instead of being perpetually broody, and got some good comedy out of him too. He just look so drat satisfied smashing that door back in the guy's face after starting god-knows-how-many loops copping it in the face :allears:.

Never mind trying to pitch his own detective show. In-deed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trast posted:

Also I just remembered that the writer that wrote racist african planet for TNG wrote the sexist mongolian planet episode for SG1!

Yeah a friend of mine clued me in on that a few years ago when he was binging SG1. Amazing how it's almost identical, that lady has some issues with strong short haired blonds triumphing over dark savages in ritual combat.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They even actually made effort to evolve Teal'c as a character over time instead of being perpetually broody, and got some good comedy out of him too. He just look so drat satisfied smashing that door back in the guy's face after starting god-knows-how-many loops copping it in the face :allears:.

Never mind trying to pitch his own detective show. In-deed!

This is blasphemy to Stargate fans but I've seen all 3 series multiple times and the only episode I consistently skip is the one Teal'C wrote himself where he is a firefighter / detective or whatever.

I'll watch the Stargate Universe episode where they go to a night club or the racist mongolian SG-1 episode before that one.

Also just because my genitals are on the inside doesn't mean my posts are poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

This is blasphemy to Stargate fans but I've seen all 3 series multiple times and the only episode I consistently skip is the one Teal'C wrote himself where he is a firefighter / detective or whatever.

I'll watch the Stargate Universe episode where they go to a night club or the racist mongolian SG-1 episode before that one.

Also just because my genitals are on the inside doesn't mean my posts are poo poo

That episode reads like a pet project rewritten into barely being SG-1 script, so I dont think anyone would blame you for skipping it. And he was a firefighter, incidentally.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That episode reads like a pet project rewritten into barely being SG-1 script, so I dont think anyone would blame you for skipping it. And he was a firefighter, incidentally.

"Oh you are on the verge of death so you get to show off your ACTING. TALENT."

It's like those episodes of TNG or Generations where Brent Spiner obviously wanted to act since his typical character was monotone / flat

Or when Tuvok gets to chew the scenery the few times in Voyager when its an alternate version / reality / emotional breakdown

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Brent Spiner's Lore was always terrible.

They should have got someone else to play Brent Spiner playing another character.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got tricked into watching this Ezri episode because I thought it was an O'Brien episode.

It's got Ted Chaough in it though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so, like, where is this coming from? are you drawing on personal experience here? i still feel like there's more being read into Keiko's character than is actually there

I figured it out. Keiko is a classic "picky eater" personality. I hate those people, they are a narcissistic cancer on every basic social gathering. It all stems from that first episode on TNG where she is an absolute poo poo about trying scalloped potatoes and boasting about how she, in her wisdom, ate the exact same thing every single day of her life.

gently caress you Keiko. Scalloped potatoes are amazing.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"Oh you are on the verge of death so you get to show off your ACTING. TALENT."

It's like those episodes of TNG or Generations where Brent Spiner obviously wanted to act since his typical character was monotone / flat

Or when Tuvok gets to chew the scenery the few times in Voyager when its an alternate version / reality / emotional breakdown

To be fair, there's an episode in, I think, season 7 with Michael Shanks having to cycle through the dozen personalities stuck in Daniel's head, and he absolutely nails them.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, there's an episode in, I think, season 7 with Michael Shanks having to cycle through the dozen personalities stuck in Daniel's head, and he absolutely nails them.

Yeah that one is great but he gets plenty of chances to chew the scenery while being an indignant poo poo about everything. I more meant the Data / Teal'c / Vulcan dude who by design can't act and has rare spurts where a bad actor shows you how bad they actually are.

That might have been Daniel "Archaeologist gets super jacked and is dual wielding assault rifle" Jackson Era as well.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

shadow puppet of a posted:

I figured it out. Keiko is a classic "picky eater" personality. I hate those people, they are a narcissistic cancer on every basic social gathering. It all stems from that first episode on TNG where she is an absolute poo poo about trying scalloped potatoes and boasting about how she, in her wisdom, ate the exact same thing every single day of her life.

If your job is just standing around looking at flowers all day you don't need much energy to get by slices of fish and dick penis will suit you just fine.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not sure what Harry meant but when he hosed that alien and got an STD they had this exchange

quote:

TAL: So you liked what happened?
KIM: Yeah, a lot.
TAL: Enough to try it again?
KIM: Absolutely. I've got to be honest, I wasn't expecting something so different.
TAL: Neither was I. Our species look so similar. Well, at least on the surface.
KIM: I would've never guessed when it came down to the basics. Well, let's just say the birds and bees would be very confused.
TAL: The birds and bees?

I always remembered everyone making GBS threads on Harry for getting his dick wet, I must have missed that apparently he was the one that got dicked.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd like a new stargate series. Apart from Universe falling apart, SG1 and Atlantis are both tons of fun and have a slew of science fiction alumni. Too bad that Roland Emmerich is going to make another lovely movie about it.

Haha. No he won't.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best Stargate episodes are the ones written by the guy who plays Teal'C where somebody kidnaps or murders one of his many hot exes (or sometimes it's his son or Bra'tac) and so he just fucks off on an epic one man revenge mission, single-handedly slaughtering hundreds of enemy jaffa in spite of serious personal injuries (remember that time he literally duct taped two staff weapons together?) until he triumphs on his own or is aided and rescued at the last second by the rest of SG1

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tighclops posted:

The best Stargate episodes are the ones written by the guy who plays Teal'C where somebody kidnaps or murders one of his many hot exes (or sometimes it's his son or Bra'tac) and so he just fucks off on an epic one man revenge mission, single-handedly slaughtering hundreds of enemy jaffa in spite of serious personal injuries (remember that time he literally duct taped two staff weapons together?) until he triumphs on his own or is aided and rescued at the last second by the rest of SG1

Did he write those? Until this post I never realized how many of those episodes there actually were.

I liked when they retconned that the zats didn't actually disintegrate people so Teal'C just started grimacing and looking more badass since he could shrug off weapons fire that incapacitated anyone else

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

By that point he and the rest of SG-1 had been zat'd enough times to build up some serious immunity.

e: Or some serious neurological conditions.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I stopped watching voyager along with the thread because christ it's bad. But DS9 is loving great so far. I only remember watching scattered episodes, but In the Hands of the Prophets and the episode about the file clerk of Auschwitz some Bajoran labour camp are weirdly crazy loving good.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

lenoon posted:

I stopped watching voyager along with the thread

Hey now

still going, just slowed down a bit

Threshold about broke me

then came Meld, in which Tuvok goes nutter and murders holo-Neelix

think about that for a minute. are we to believe that Tuvok went to the trouble of programming a virtual mess hall and a virtual Neelix? Also programmed virtual Neelix with the annoyance setting turned to 11?

gonna spend some time in the workshop today, so Voyager will be on in the background... should get through a couple of hours

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 13, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sten Freak posted:

Watched the DS9 episode last night where Bashir and O'Brien are destroying that bioweapon and the aliens try to kill them then convince the DS9 crew that the two of them are dead. Pretty drat good. Quark's toast to them was classic Quark. He's my favorite character on the show at this point.

Also laughed at Keiko being 100% convinced O'Brien doesn't drink coffee in the afternoon which is what tipped her off that the vid had been altered when in fact O'Brien drinks coffee all drat day.

E: it was like a twist in the last 5 seconds of the show lol

Why didn't they just launch the bioweapons into a sun somewhere? Or react them with antimatter in deep space or something?

"We gotta get rid of this thing" is a weak as poo poo premise for a Trek story.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

Germstore posted:

space has lots of building materials and lots of space. it has a lot of potential in my opinion.

Your great grandchildren won't see any of that potential realized in their lifeimes.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Squizzle posted:

Why didn't they just launch the bioweapons into a sun somewhere? Or react them with antimatter in deep space or something?

"We gotta get rid of this thing" is a weak as poo poo premise for a Trek story.

If the writers had bothered to think of those ways to destroy them it would have just came with some kind of technobabble to justify the script.

"Why do we have to use this specific machine to destroy these canisters one a time? There are thousands of stars like 10 minutes away."
"Because....there would be a.....subspace explosion that would spread....hazardous tetryon particles that were contaminated with the virus for 5 light years......meaning any ship would have a chance to absorb these toxic particles when refueling or passing through this space, causing a plague. Starfleet principles won't let us risk a single extra life"

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 13, 2016

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Was that the episode where she insults O'Brien's mother by getting grossed out by the concept of touching real meat?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

keiko is horrible but gently caress obrien too

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

Your great grandchildren won't see any of that potential realized in their lifeimes.

So?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the expanse is pretty good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it is but just to be a nitpicky goon I gotta say although the dude that plays Amos does a fine job I don't get that casting decision whatsoever (Amos is supposed to be a burly physically threatening dude)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TNG goes out of its way to show that people can switch departments like they were working for a company, rather than the military, and you even see in All Good Things... that dedicated medical ships exist. LaForge starts off as a console officer on the bridge wearing Red, as does Worf. Hell, even in the JJverse you see Kirk hand over the job of Chief Engineer to Chekov and tell him to put on a red shirt.

Sure, but if you're going to take that approach, then Troi should already have known basic poo poo like "what happens to the ship when antimatter containment fails (it blows up and everyone dies)" seeing as she's already a senior officer by that point. Also, if we're still clinging to the not-a-military approach, why are we dicking around with having the enlisted/officer divide?

It's just really inconsistent. I honestly wish the writers hadn't made Troi out to be so clueless in that episode; I'm not saying "nuhhh troi shouldn't be in charge", I'm saying "hey if you're not going to have the line/staff officer divide then maybe you should write troi as having more of a clue about how the ship works". How many crises and battles has she already sat through on the bridge? There's still plenty of potential drama and conflict to be had between her and Ro if Troi knew her poo poo.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Medical doctors often receive commissioned officer status. Don't chaplains as well? That's a class thing grafted into military culture.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The best seasons of SG1 were some of the later ones when RDA, much like Robert Beltran in Voyager, just stopped giving a poo poo and mailed in performances for a paycheck.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

She doesn't even have to know that much more to be believable. But everyone in the Federation knows "losing antimatter containment" means "BIG BOOM."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lenoon posted:

I stopped watching voyager along with the thread because christ it's bad. But DS9 is loving great so far. I only remember watching scattered episodes, but In the Hands of the Prophets and the episode about the file clerk of Auschwitz some Bajoran labour camp are weirdly crazy loving good.
Everyone trying to watch Voyager and failing needs to at least watch the last five minutes of the episode "Rise" to see the most phoned in climactic space battle in the history of Star Trek. Voyager and ShipOfTheWeek sit 500 feet apart and exchange four shots. Everything is delightfully static,. the precious shield codes are a 4 digit number and the effects team was budgeted for just two weapon-impact shots and no fly-away-in-defeat shots.

"Captain they are shooting"
"Captain I know their shield frequency"
"Shoot them in the weapons!"
"Captain we've won!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One things that's always bothered me in TNG, DS9, and VOY, is people wearing costumes in the Holodeck.

It happens all the time...off the top of my head there's the beginning of Generations where they all go to the bridge in their nineteenth century outfits, in DS9 when Julian and O'Brien have their holodeck adventures shooting down Nazis, and in Voyager I think people wear costumes to Fair Haven?

Why don't they just use holo-clothes?

Even stupider is in an episode of Voyager, Tom is fixing some classic 60's truck or something, and when he goes to the bridge, he's not only still wearing a jumpsuit, but he has grease on him. I understand replicated clothes, though seems silly when stranded in the Delta Quadrant when limited resources...but how is grease still on him when he leaves the holodeck? He replicated grease on his replicated jumpsuit for "authenticity"?

Also, the senior staff seemed to have a LOT of time on their, like, basically whenever they want. There's ~150 on Voyager, two holodecks, so in theory each crewman should only have about 2.5 hours a week to spend in there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DrBouvenstein posted:

He replicated grease on his replicated jumpsuit for "authenticity"?
The amazing part is not that people still do poo poo like this, but that it only took three hundred years to get them to stop taking pictures of themselves while doing it.

Personally, I cannot wait for Star Trek: Discovery to more closely incorporate millennial-mindset activities as the crew pauses to take endless group shots of themselves mining dilithium and posing with replicated food.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They would be wearing holo clothes on top of their jumpsuits though. Unless you want everyone to go onto the holodeck naked. You really want to be in the room with a naked Neelix?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I just assume the non officers actually have poo poo to do

naem
May 29, 2011

I like to think the Star Trek future isn't a utopia, instead we only see the useless top 1% and everyone else is slaving away in some kind of bilge hole/rape gang begging for gruel

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK got through the remainder of season 2.

Dreadnought? Unremarkable.

Death wish? Yaay a Q episode! How did they manage to make a dull Q episode?

Deadlock? Reset button. Everything is destroyed and ppl die then **boom** the "other" blows up and errythings OK

Innocence had a nice lil twist at the end. Enjoyed.

The Thaw? **blast of discordant circus music**

Tuvix? Dafuq.

Resolutions? Yeah They hosed

Finale was unsurprising. Of course its a fuckin trap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buttcrackmenace posted:

Death wish? Yaay a Q episode! How did they manage to make a dull Q episode?

buttcrackmenace posted:

OK got through the remainder of season 2.

lol it only gets worse

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol S3 episode 1. Crewman Hogan gets munched right at the start, Evil Dead style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i started over at season one, episode one, last night

It was weird because I think everyone had lines in this one, but I only got as far as the first time you see Kes