Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Literally The Worst posted:

So are you going to answer or are you just gonna keep being a douchebag who whines about tumblr

Si, muchacho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'll preface this by saying that I love the show and donate monthly, so definitely don't take the following as me hating on the show.

I have nothing against the tumblr fans of the show, but some of the stuff I've seen come from there has been a bit cringeworthy. There's been some really cool artwork / cosplay come from there also. All that being said, I do agree that it sometimes seems like they're trying overly hard to be inclusive and sometimes that takes me a bit out of the show.

Not sure that Booblord isn't trying to troll a bit, but at least he wrote a couple of detailed posts about his issues instead of just yelling SJW over and over like you would see on reddit.

e: Today I learned word filters are still a thing.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 11, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

at live shows i sometimes play phrases from metallica songs during the community calendar bit. and when we were in fargo i played the theme from fargo (the movie not the tv show). thats fan service and if you dont like it gtfo!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Earwicker posted:

at live shows i sometimes play phrases from metallica songs during the community calendar bit. and when we were in fargo i played the theme from fargo (the movie not the tv show). thats fan service and if you dont like it gtfo!

My favorite loop or phrase or whatever is the It Takes Two beat and j have loved it since "stop the madness teach a spider to read"

If you used it more that would be cool fan service

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Kevin SA account spotted.

Don't disparage Kevin like that. Kevin would be more positive. Disgustingly positive.

(Kevin and the Desert Bluffs radio show are some of my favorite bits. They're just so pitch perfect as something Cecil would absolutely despise.)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

LOL if Night Wale went full fan service you would see some weird poo poo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
He's being really inarticulate about it, but I definitely agree that the whole strex arc and it's resolution was the low point for the show.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
uhhhh how about that good poo poo in Within the Wires.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptainPsyko posted:

He's being really inarticulate about it, but I definitely agree that the whole strex arc and it's resolution was the low point for the show.

nah i liked the strex arc way more than the last year

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really express it properly but at least if you bulk listen to it like years of content at a time like I tend to, the point where they start doing live shows maybe? feels like the show starts getting a little more...I dunno. Something. I wanna say "up it's own rear end" but it's not that bad really just like kinda approaching that. I listened to one of the live shows and it was definitely a bit too much and now here's another fan favorite character coming onstage!! for my tastes, but I'm sure if you are there and not a weirdo like me it's probably great?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Light Gun Man posted:

I can't really express it properly but at least if you bulk listen to it like years of content at a time like I tend to, the point where they start doing live shows maybe? feels like the show starts getting a little more...I dunno. Something. I wanna say "up it's own rear end" but it's not that bad really just like kinda approaching that. I listened to one of the live shows and it was definitely a bit too much and now here's another fan favorite character coming onstage!! for my tastes, but I'm sure if you are there and not a weirdo like me it's probably great?

Remember that the live shows are traveling performances. As I understand it, not every actor comes to every show, so they deliberately make the scenes with side characters somewhat disconnected from the story, so they can slide scenes in and out depending on who's available. When you listen to a recording, they have all of them, and I get how that can seem exhausting, but in a live performance there might only be a couple.

Maxnmona or Earwicker, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I have nothing against the tumblr fans of the show, but some of the stuff I've seen come from there has been a bit cringeworthy. There's been some really cool artwork / cosplay come from there also. All that being said, I do agree that it sometimes seems like they're trying overly hard to be inclusive and sometimes that takes me a bit out of the show.

I do think it's kind of jarring when they seem to go out of the way to include lots of different demographics, but that might be the point. I was surprised when Maureen turned out to be gay, because at that point it started to seem implausible that Steve and Abby are the only straight people in the show. It doesn't bother me, but it does put me off balance. In most shows, you have a predominantly straight cast and maybe one or two gay characters, and I wonder if they deliberately reversed that dynamic to make straight people like myself appreciate how gay people feel when they watch mainstream shows. On the other hand, I wonder there's something about Night Vale in-universe that attracts queer people or brings such feelings to the surface. Does Night Vale have a disproportionately high number of queer people, or does the show just focus on those people more?

I really like the explicitly non-binary Sheriff Sam, though; non-binary characters are almost non-existent in fiction.

The previous work was a bunch of standalone episodes that ended up being strung together partway through the season though

I love season one of night vale a lot but using it as the barometer for the rest of the show is a terrible idea

I really don't understand people who say "I wish it had stayed like it was in the first year." I can respect that they liked it better, but would you really want five years worth of "one guy talks about weird stuff going on in town for twenty minutes?" The worst thing that can happen to any work of serial fiction is to keep doing the same thing over and over again. I like that the show has evolved over time. And serialized stories exist in symbiosis with their audience. Some people call it pandering, but if the most devoted fans were people on Tumblr, then is it really wrong to give them what they want? None of the changes in the show have felt forced to me, so I'm not going to complain because it's different than when it started.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

Remember that the live shows are traveling performances. As I understand it, not every actor comes to every show, so they deliberately make the scenes with side characters somewhat disconnected from the story, so they can slide scenes in and out depending on who's available. When you listen to a recording, they have all of them, and I get how that can seem exhausting, but in a live performance there might only be a couple.

Maxnmona or Earwicker, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

That would explain a lot then yeah. I dunno, the mood was just so very different and I wasn't into it. Like I said I'm sure it's better if you are there live.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jurgan posted:

I really don't understand people who say "I wish it had stayed like it was in the first year." I can respect that they liked it better, but would you really want five years worth of "one guy talks about weird stuff going on in town for twenty minutes?" The worst thing that can happen to any work of serial fiction is to keep doing the same thing over and over again. I like that the show has evolved over time. And serialized stories exist in symbiosis with their audience. Some people call it pandering, but if the most devoted fans were people on Tumblr, then is it really wrong to give them what they want? None of the changes in the show have felt forced to me, so I'm not going to complain because it's different than when it started.

I enjoyed the first season a lot more than the second season myself, because the atmosphere of the town was explored a lot more. It seemed that the second season was far more character centric. It had some great episodes, Light on the Mountain is one of my top 3 episodes for instance, but was a bit too much on the new-quirky-character-of-the-week side with a Big Bad that was introduced too early. I think the show has hit a really good balance since then, though. The Big Bad this season was set up over a longer period of time starting with hints that gradually grew bigger and more blatant. That made the puppy absolutely terrifying and abnormal at the end. It became a far better villain than Strex.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really need to relisten to season 4, because I ended up not caring too much but also I listened to the first chunk of it in the midst of a nervous breakdown

So

That will color your initial impressions

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I can't stand listening to the live shows. It's like 60% cheering and screaming and Cecil might as well be playing a different person because his podcast delivery would not work at all in a live setting. I get this. I also get that people are jazzed as gently caress to be seeing Night Vale live. Lord knows I would be too. I'd buy a ticket in a heartbeat if they came to my tiny middle-of-nowhere-Canada city. I would have given a finger to go see one of the shows with Dessa. I just don't think the live show translates to audio very well. I wouldn't judge the show's degree of upitsownassedness from the live show.

I think current Night Vale is weaker than both Alice Isn't Dead and Within the Wires both, but that's just one of those things- they're new and fresh. Night Vale at its best (by which I mean my impression of Night Vale at its best because I definitely don't have the kind of memory that would allow me to remember what any of the show has been about between last week and "The Woman from Italy" which is about the time I discovered there are other good podcasts in existence and didn't just have to constantly replay Night Vale episodes over and over again) still beats any other weird fiction podcast out there.

loving love WtW right now. I am so sorry I've forgotten you, lady with the nice voice! Thank you for the hot tips on where cameras are and also for helping me fall asleep like three nights last week.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm not sure I can even compare the podcasts at this time. Alice Isn't Dead is more of a novel read out loud than an episodic story; you could listen to a random episode of Night Vale as your first episode and not miss much, but you have to listen to AiD in order. WtW is more experimental. Its first few episodes are weird, but the plot is starting to take shape by episode four. I am certainly not complaining, though; I wouldn't want just a copy of WtNV, and "like NPR but spooky" is becoming a very played out genre (listen to Tanis if you want to hear how such a story can run completely off the rails).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure I can even compare the podcasts at this time. Alice Isn't Dead is more of a novel read out loud than an episodic story; you could listen to a random episode of Night Vale as your first episode and not miss much, but you have to listen to AiD in order. WtW is more experimental. Its first few episodes are weird, but the plot is starting to take shape by episode four. I am certainly not complaining, though; I wouldn't want just a copy of WtNV, and "like NPR but spooky" is becoming a very played out genre (listen to Tanis if you want to hear how such a story can run completely off the rails).

God all of those shows are so bad

Limetown is the only good one

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Wait, you didn't like Alice Isn't Dead? I loved the last season of Night Vale, but I think Alice was clearly the stronger of the two.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think he was referring to all the "npr but scary" shows

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Agreed. I enjoyed Limetown and can't wait for it to continue in season 2. Another one I tried was The Black Tapes, but it wasn't very good. I listened to four or five episodes, but the characters were just completely unlikable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mokinokaro posted:

I think he was referring to all the "npr but scary" shows

Yeah this.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The only thing I'll say about whatever has happened here is that we have made zero story or character choices based on what we think any of our fans might want. As evidenced by how much you all complain about them.

It's interesting sometimes that people will point to a story or character as "pandering to Tumblr" when that story or character choice was made before the tumblr fanbase existed. It's almost like any story choice that doesn't appeal to you is scapegoated onto groups of people you also don't like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The first couple lives shows did feel like they had a lot of fanservice, but that's due to the number of guests slotted into their plots.

Not that I'm complaining. Condos is still one of my favorite episodes.

Also, Tumblr, reddit and 4chan are always internet scapegoats. Just how it is.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

maxnmona posted:

The only thing I'll say about whatever has happened here is that we have made zero story or character choices based on what we think any of our fans might want.

If you did, there would be a lot of knotting, if the Supernatural fandom is anything to go by.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

The only thing I'll say about whatever has happened here is that we have made zero story or character choices based on what we think any of our fans might want. As evidenced by how much you all complain about them.

It's interesting sometimes that people will point to a story or character as "pandering to Tumblr" when that story or character choice was made before the tumblr fanbase existed. It's almost like any story choice that doesn't appeal to you is scapegoated onto groups of people you also don't like.

Well, you have said in the past that the show really exploded when Tumblr got wind of it. Also, the popularity of the show allows you to do things you couldn't have before, like having multiple characters voiced by well-known actors. But I believe you when you say that you're telling the stories you want, not the ones you think will be popular, and for what it's worth I have no significant issues with the direction the show has taken.

Slaan posted:

Agreed. I enjoyed Limetown and can't wait for it to continue in season 2. Another one I tried was The Black Tapes, but it wasn't very good. I listened to four or five episodes, but the characters were just completely unlikable.

Interesting; I liked Black Tapes for the interaction between the main characters, and they're the only reason I haven't given up on the show. It seems to have the same issue as The X-Files: start with an episodic, character based show, then try to tie everything into a grand myth-arc but drag it out for so long that the audience loses interest. Anyway, this is a bit off topic; there's another thread for discussing other serial fiction podcasts.

Edit:

TinTower posted:

If you did, there would be a lot of knotting, if the Supernatural fandom is anything to go by.

I just looked up knotting, and now I hate everything in the world.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 13, 2016

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Well, you have said in the past that the show really exploded when Tumblr got wind of it. Also, the popularity of the show allows you to do things you couldn't have before, like having multiple characters voiced by well-known actors. But I believe you when you say that you're telling the stories you want, not the ones you think will be popular, and for what it's worth I have no significant issues with the direction the show has taken.

Interestingly, the only actor I can think of that was cast as a result of the popularity of the show was Wil Wheaton. Everyone else are people we knew from before the show blew up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

Interestingly, the only actor I can think of that was cast as a result of the popularity of the show was Wil Wheaton. Everyone else are people we knew from before the show blew up.

That makes a lot of sense. Most of them are New York based and I could see Jackson Publick and James Urbaniak being completely into your style as well as the NY theater scene.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wil Wheaton is ironically the only casting choice I ever groaned at

Also I want Wil Wheaton to die

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

any piece of media who's fans are nerdy enough to refer to themselves as a "fandom" or have "headcannons" is going to inevitably also attract people who talk about "fan service", "the BIg Bad", "Mary Sues" and all that sort of stuff.

to some extent it's just part of that world. When I go see a band and the band plays a couple of their more popular hits because the audience loves those songs, and the band wants to fuel themselves with the burst of energy they will get from the audience when they play those songs... no one calls that "fan service".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't mind when the Wil Wheaton chocolate gets in my peanut butter. :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

I don't mind when the Wil Wheaton chocolate gets in my peanut butter. :shrug:

Honestly I love him on Night Vale despite being mixed on him overall (there's stuff he's good in, and stuff where he does nothing but annoy.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

Honestly I love him on Night Vale despite being mixed on him overall (there's stuff he's good in, and stuff where he does nothing but annoy.)

Yeah I'm not a fan of the dude really but he's fine, even good?, on Night Vale. His character concept is interesting too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Earwicker posted:

any piece of media who's fans are nerdy enough to refer to themselves as a "fandom" or have "headcannons" is going to inevitably also attract people who talk about "fan service", "the BIg Bad", "Mary Sues" and all that sort of stuff.

to some extent it's just part of that world. When I go see a band and the band plays a couple of their more popular hits because the audience loves those songs, and the band wants to fuel themselves with the burst of energy they will get from the audience when they play those songs... no one calls that "fan service".

Look at this guy, releasing all these albums of good music people want to hear.

Fanservice lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When I last saw the show live -- I want to say it was two years ago now, whenever y'all were in Minneapolis doing The Librarian -- I had a brief bout of OH poo poo I AM GOING TO BE THE ONLY ORDINARILY-DRESSED MIDDLE-AGED DUDE IN A CROWD OF COSTUMED TEENAGE GIRLS because that was certainly the crowd who had shown up early (as I had) waiting outside the theatre for it to open. As it turned out, the actual crowd when the show started was rather more diverse than that, and a good time was had by all. But even if it hadn't been, who cares? We were all there to enjoy the same thing, and a bit of Old Man Culture Shock on my part isn't exactly a reason to deprive other people of enjoying something.

(Also, some of those costumes were pretty cool. Lots of newscasters with inexplicable third eyes and kids in lab coats, but I'm pretty sure I saw at least one glow cloud too.)

Every fandom has some weird/creepy bullshit, and in some cases (Supernatural, ahem) it does seem to be dominated by it, but kids being enthusiastic about a thing they enjoy is something I will never, ever allow myself to object to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the crowds at live shows have been getting older on average, partly because of the novel and the show getting some more mainstream media attention, and partly because of the natural passage of time.

however when the audience had a lot of teenagers, many of them bring their parents in varying stages of willingness. ranging from super enthusiastic dorky parents or even grandparents who got into the show because of their kids and legit like it because we're "bringing radio drama back", to the super bored parents who have clearly been dragged there as an obligation, have no idea wtf is going on and dont want to know. I often look for someone in that latter category in the front row and consider it a good show if that person starts having a good time and is smiling or laughing by the end. I'd say we win them over like 85% of the time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Earwicker posted:

the crowds at live shows have been getting older on average, partly because of the novel and the show getting some more mainstream media attention, and partly because of the natural passage of time.

Heh, that reminds be a bit of a conversation I heard between a couple of theater workers at that show while I was heading inside that went broadly, "So is this like a TV show or something?" "Eh, not exactly."

I imagine people are more familiar with it now.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

docbeard posted:

Heh, that reminds be a bit of a conversation I heard between a couple of theater workers at that show while I was heading inside that went broadly, "So is this like a TV show or something?" "Eh, not exactly."

I imagine people are more familiar with it now.

Serial was the big moment where I didn't have to explain to people what a podcast is on a near daily basis.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
[extremely black tapes voice] it's like radio on demand

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mokinokaro posted:

If I didn't know Earl Harlan was Wil Wheaton (and I wouldn't except for the credits) I wouldn't care, so I don't. That said Wil Wheaton is an awful person who threw the Fark/Worth1K/SA photoshop contest and so I will hate him and his stupid face forever. :argh:

I don't mind the whole 'spooky NPR' genre - Limetown was great, even if it's unlikely another season is going to come out any time soon (I consider it basically a fait accompli at this point) - though Tanis and the Black Tapes kind of lost me in their respective second seasons, and the whole PNWS "OMINOUS THUD NOISE PLAYS" trope is just... ugh.

Really enjoyed the newest WTNV episode, especially the word from our sponsor.

e: "A podcast? You mean people still listen to the radio?" is a phrase that take up nearly 20% of The Black Tapes.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Earwicker posted:

however when the audience had a lot of teenagers, many of them bring their parents in varying stages of willingness. ranging from super enthusiastic dorky parents or even grandparents who got into the show because of their kids and legit like it because we're "bringing radio drama back", to the super bored parents who have clearly been dragged there as an obligation, have no idea wtf is going on and dont want to know. I often look for someone in that latter category in the front row and consider it a good show if that person starts having a good time and is smiling or laughing by the end. I'd say we win them over like 85% of the time.

The Ghost Stories show I saw could have been any play/concert/show audience. A year ago, the Murder Theater audience was very clearly the "Tumblr crowd" or whatever. Pretty interesting difference a year makes!

Also everyone disliking the live shows - just you wait until Ghost Stories comes out. :stare: