Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
ok now i need to ask my buddy who is still in and recruiting if he has a dogtag machine.

WEEDLORD BONERHITLER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
mydogtags.ca or whatever is where I bought them.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

ok now i need to ask my buddy who is still in and recruiting if he has a dogtag machine.

WEEDLORD BONERHITLER

I think most recruiting companies have one, so if not his office one of the others has it, they pass them around.

I used 1800nametapes for just about everything

finally I get my first paycheck for them :smug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i dont think i could pull off a convincing enough con to get tags made at a recruiting station

ten years i've been out and there's still mannerisms that mil people can see a mile away

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dont ask because its a big pain in the rear end to set up they're horrible pieces of poo poo, but we'd make them for anybody that asked, lots of old dudes would want them and poo poo and I'm not going to say no, because I'd rather do dogtags than cold calls or whatever

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i keep saying that i should get another pair made so i dont lose these, considering i've worn them virtually every day for nearly 14 years

also because it has my ssn on it

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My coworker was making dog tags for the company, and I told him that I don't care that the paper says Roman Catholic, put nihilist on mine.

He put Catholic, and spelled my name wrong.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its a good thing you dont care about anything

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Took me three months to notice. I never wear the things anyway. Don't even know where they are.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm jealous of you guys that had cool CO's that had senses of humor, my experience was so miserable we had reps from brigade come to do sensing sessions all the time to find out why everyone was so sad/depressed constantly :smith:

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

A Bad Poster posted:

Took me three months to notice. I never wear the things anyway. Don't even know where they are.

Did this until an open ranks inspection on a Monday morning. Ended up having to clean out the cobble stone streets around the motor pool with a phillips screwdriver. :commissar:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ive just told people for like 5 years that I forgot them at home. No one cares enough to call me on it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I saw some dude whip em out at a bar by ft Riley and this chick was all about it.

I kinda thought "man there's no way that would work" but what do I know

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Ive just told people for like 5 years that I forgot them at home. No one cares enough to call me on it.

you would be catching a lot of poo poo for doing that in my unit at campbell.

if you lived in the barracks you would be doing lunges all the way to your room to get them.

when i was in afghanistan i had them tied to my belt loop with 550 cord and tucked into my back pocket and i got in trouble for not wearing them around my neck until i showed them that i was almost to the point of having blood drawn wearing them under my plates.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

you would be catching a lot of poo poo for doing that in my unit at campbell.

if you lived in the barracks you would be doing lunges all the way to your room to get them.

when i was in afghanistan i had them tied to my belt loop with 550 cord and tucked into my back pocket and i got in trouble for not wearing them around my neck until i showed them that i was almost to the point of having blood drawn wearing them under my plates.

Never enlist.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Even in BCT and OCS no one ever checked to see if I had my dog tags. I stopped wearing them like 3 days into OCS but I''ve had them attached to my belt loop and tucked in my back pocket since I commissioned.

I really must have joined my unit at the perfect time. Good BDE and SQDN commander, I like everyone I work with/for and I know and like all the CPTs about to take command. So whoever ends up being my commander while I'm a PL I will have already worked with before.

The few people I actually dislike are about to leave the unit and don't really have any impact on me to begin with.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

Even in BCT and OCS no one ever checked to see if I had my dog tags. I stopped wearing them like 3 days into OCS but I''ve had them attached to my belt loop and tucked in my back pocket since I commissioned.

I really must have joined my unit at the perfect time. Good BDE and SQDN commander, I like everyone I work with/for and I know and like all the CPTs about to take command. So whoever ends up being my commander while I'm a PL I will have already worked with before.

The few people I actually dislike are about to leave the unit and don't really have any impact on me to begin with.

Oh god all this buildup will be so rewarding. Holy poo poo I can't wait for everything to come crashing down around you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm assuming it will be sometime next summer when all the leadership changes out

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
that's exactly when it will happen

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
an officer is having a :siren: good time :siren:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm jealous of you guys that had cool CO's that had senses of humor, my experience was so miserable we had reps from brigade come to do sensing sessions all the time to find out why everyone was so sad/depressed constantly :smith:

FOR NINE YEARS THIS

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

I'm assuming it will be sometime next summer when all the leadership changes out

You know the speech in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where he is talking about acid and that he is noticing all these signs and then all of a sudden ZANG! He's talking to lizards looking for golf shoes? Like that except those lizards are officers and you're looking for golf shoes

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If it makes you guys feel better my cool co was preferred by a douchebag and followed by a douchebag.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

So, 2BDE at Lewis is bad, but not the worst is what I'm getting.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I'm pretty sure Mustang's post-war Army Joyride is an FBI psyop plot to further marginalize and push us into extremism, thereby generating sufficient blackmail to force us all into a Counter-Trump suicide squad (should he win) or pro-military regime (should coup happen)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

J.A.B.C. posted:

I got one of these some time ago, and ended up taking a red pen to it. It was a good exercise, but the SFC at the time didn't really appreciate it and wanted to smoke me for 'scribbling' on his perfect, precious counseling statement.

I've seen people put the text into word and then 'track changes' as another passive-aggressive middle finger, too. People lose their poo poo over it.

I just have this poo poo printed out around my desk. It's pretty goddamn short and says fairly clearly, "Just write like a human being."

DA Pam 600-67 Effective Writing for Army Leaders

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Never enlist.

Only way I would enlist again is to go 18x and if I don't make it I'm going awol.

And even that has a 0% possibility.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

NTT posted:

an officer is having a :siren: good time :siren:
He must not be signed for enough equipment.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
He's not in S3 yet, it'll come.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this is probably the most serious post I will make in this here Army thread.

Mustang, enjoy your life dude. Seriously. If you don't enjoy getting the green weenie, then you are on the same path as everyone else. Eventually, your life will crash and burn. It is inevitable. Enjoy the good times, because they will not last unless you enjoy taking the green weenie. I do not know how to train for taking the green weenie. I never was able to enjoy it. But people have found a way. Maybe you should hang out with those people to see what kind of lube they use, or what kind of dirt they might have on their commander. But even that won't last, because commanders come and commanders go, so whatever dirt you have will be out dated in a few years, and you will be back to being bent over.

but basically lmao fygm

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Being an officer isn't that bad I imagine. Get paid a good amount of money. Number of people who can actively poo poo on you is a lot lower.

Lots of work for sure. I've been out for four and a half years and I'm putting in way more hours then when I was enlisted so I wouldn't necessarily mind it personally. I guess the difference is I love my job. If you're really into inventories and managing a bunch of people maybe it can be fun :shrug:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fudge posted:

Being an officer isn't that bad I imagine. Get paid a good amount of money. Number of people who can actively poo poo on you is a lot lower.

Lots of work for sure. I've been out for four and a half years and I'm putting in way more hours then when I was enlisted so I wouldn't necessarily mind it personally. I guess the difference is I love my job. If you're really into inventories and managing a bunch of people maybe it can be fun :shrug:

I don't think the day to day of being officer would be bad at all, its all the other off duty commander call poo poo that would kill it for me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Day to day isn't bad at all, though it's entirely dependent on your bosses. I've had good luck with 3 Bde commanders in a row and 2 BN cdrs in a row. Prior to that my BN Cdr was so rough that the CG was personally calling him to tell him to chill out and I only got a cool job because I submitted my full packet to get out, so the BDE Cdr gave me a baller job to keep me around.

That said, being signed for an ungodly amount of equipment, more than triple my peers, is terrifying especially because I know for a fact that it would be physically impossible for my NCOs to do all the inventories properly even if they never slept and never went home and did inventory updates and organization the second they got off regular work.

90% of officers would have a much better life if, instead of calling their boss to report a problem/incident immediately (or never reporting it), they instead took like ten loving minutes to develop a solution to brief as they report said problem/incident.

E: oh and as an officer no matter what your profile says, you will run or you may as well pursue a med board by any means available. I look forward to going from chronically in pain to crippled in ten years.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Triggs posted:

He's not in S3 yet, it'll come.

That's actually exactly where I am right now. I even started my job in the middle of Red Cycle. I thought it sucked the first 2 days but I realized that as long as I'm not the cog in the machine that caused a task not to be executed then it's not my rear end on the line.

I wouldn't necessarily say I enjoy the Army or that I plan on making a career of it but at the same time I don't wake up every morning dreading going to work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

That's actually exactly where I am right now. I even started my job in the middle of Red Cycle. I thought it sucked the first 2 days but I realized that as long as I'm not the cog in the machine that caused a task not to be executed then it's not my rear end on the line.

I wouldn't necessarily say I enjoy the Army or that I plan on making a career of it but at the same time I don't wake up every morning dreading going to work.

prepare for the worst, hope for a little bit better than that and it'll be a lot better for you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

E: oh and as an officer no matter what your profile says, you will run or you may as well pursue a med board by any means available. I look forward to going from chronically in pain to crippled in ten years.

Speaking of, I found out today they kicked my IRR packet back. At this point I might as well just hang in there the remaining 9 months until I can get out. I hadn't bothered dropping a permanent profile packet for my back, but I guess now would be a good time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know why you guys are so mad. I just got back from Europe and i woke up every morning laughing because I was actually being paid to pretty much party with our "international partners" every day.

And this is my last year in the Army.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Retardog posted:

I still have the ones I got when I got to my first unit. They say my religion is Pirate.

Retired in '98. Still have the ones I was issued in Basic Training in a drawer somewhere.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have one of my basic issued one's in a shadow box. My parents have the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

Speaking of, I found out today they kicked my IRR packet back. At this point I might as well just hang in there the remaining 9 months until I can get out. I hadn't bothered dropping a permanent profile packet for my back, but I guess now would be a good time.

Do it dude, it'll make getting yours easier once you get out and have to jump through the VA gauntlet.

• Locked thread