Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

I actually own a copy of this.

:colbert: Gamma World or Numenera

A Dark Sun roguelike would be the poo poo.

I live and dream one day there will be an infinity engine style CRPG set in the Dark Sun setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This is what happens when I spend too much time thinking about throwaway jokes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sillybones posted:

May someone please recommend me a new roguelike to play? I really enjoyed IVAN and somewhat enjoyed Crawl. Thank you.

It would be easier if you told us what you liked about them.

My recommendation would be ToME but that says more about my biases (plus the fact that, while they're still wildly different, it's probably Crawl's closest relative) than it does about understanding your tastes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's the Six Day Stilt! Top left corner of the world map, bring food so you can cross the desert. It's probably my favorite place in the game, due to ambience and the supplies you can get there.

Instead of starving and getting murdered by dawngliders in the desert just go up the flower fields to the right where you can drop in to eat boars and murder equimaxes. Then you just have to cross two desert tiles when you get to the top of the map.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

get dungeonmans if you want one with good humor and persistent growth.

get caves of qud if you want more traditional gameplay, with really nice ascii (i usually hate ascii), and tons of character customization.

get sproggiwood if you want one with cute graphics that's a little more puzzle-y. but don't let those cute graphics fool you...

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It would be easier if you told us what you liked about them.

My recommendation would be ToME but that says more about my biases (plus the fact that, while they're still wildly different, it's probably Crawl's closest relative) than it does about understanding your tastes.

I am pretty easy. The recommendations were great. I will try ToME too.

baram. posted:

get dungeonmans if you want one with good humor and persistent growth.

get caves of qud if you want more traditional gameplay, with really nice ascii (i usually hate ascii), and tons of character customization.

get sproggiwood if you want one with cute graphics that's a little more puzzle-y. but don't let those cute graphics fool you...

Speaking of persistent growth, are there many good options in that alley? I find them really fun.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Sillybones posted:

Speaking of persistent growth, are there many good options in that alley? I find them really fun.

I'd say the DS remake of Shiren the Wanderer is pretty good in that respect.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I'd say the DS remake of Shiren the Wanderer is pretty good in that respect.

Why the DS one specifically? I haven't played any of them but the new one on the Vita.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In Dungeonmans, do all Halls of Champions consist of four Champions and one Ancient King of the same species? Or did I just run into a special "gently caress you" room in the rotation which did that with kings of thieves? Paralysing, self-hasting, equipment-stealing and lethal in melee - if I hadn't been a ludicrously overpowered rangermans with several spare bows and a huge stack of combat blinking scrolls, I probably wouldn't have survived that.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Prism posted:

Why the DS one specifically? I haven't played any of them but the new one on the Vita.

I just thought it was a little more balanced and has some additional content than the Super Famicom version. I don't really know much about the other Shirens other than the WIi one not being great.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I just thought it was a little more balanced and has some additional content than the Super Famicom version. I don't really know much about the other Shirens other than the WIi one not being great.

Fair. I just wasn't sure if there was something special about the DS version.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dunno how many other people are still interested in this game, but WW2 Tank roguelike Armoured Commander 2 has abandoned the new "traditional" grid map style movement and gone back to a hex system similar to the first Armoured Commander. Except now it only uses this view with no sector map.

Formerly:

Now:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
New style's a lot prettier than a traditional grid, for sure. Seems like the original game was still more unique, but...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone have tips for the scavenging/siege part of Death Road to Canada? I read the tips earlier in the thread and I throw furninture and what not but I don't know if I should be killing zombies to prevent hordes, avoiding them etc. In 10 hours of play best I've done is 5 days from Canada.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Anyone have tips for the scavenging/siege part of Death Road to Canada? I read the tips earlier in the thread and I throw furninture and what not but I don't know if I should be killing zombies to prevent hordes, avoiding them etc. In 10 hours of play best I've done is 5 days from Canada.

Scavenging is mostly about picking good locations if possible and killing zombies when necessary. As you play more you get a better sense of what "necessary" means, but basically you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you can't easily jog back to a safe or safe-ish zone. So kill enough zombies to keep that true. Some missions are better done solo, particularly the vehicle wreck corridor missions. That took me a while to learn, but is very true. Also, remember that the AI is good about not getting bitten as long as there aren't too many zombies and it doesn't get stuck on anything. So you unfortunately always have to watch for AI pathing issues.

Sieges are mostly about burning ammo. Chainsaws, shotguns, automatic weapons, etc. are very good here. So are pipebombs and grenades, although not really fire in my experience. You can reduce the number of zombies you need to kill and ammo you need to consume by moving around the map, and then making a break for the exit when the siege is over. But particularly if you are indoors, you will need something to break through the throng of zombies by the exit (chainsaw, automatic weapons, are good here).

Throwing furniture is efficient when it's there, but there isn't enough in a siege to make that much of a difference.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also remember that making lots of noise and/or killing a crapload of zombies agitates the horde, which will cause them to both spawn faster and behave more aggressively until you leave the area or die. You can see this effect pretty clearly in a level with very calm zombies: you can initially just walk past most of them as long as you don't loiter, but if you start shooting everything in sight and throwing pipe bombs around, you'll quickly notice a pronounced change in their behaviour.

Fight if you gotta, but try not to go out of your way to attack zombies who haven't noticed your presence unless you need to get past them. You get nothing for it and it makes things a little more dangerous for you.

This all goes completely out the window in sieges though. Go all-out to keep the upper hand for as long as you can, because when things go south, they go south real goddamn fast.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Finally managed to make it to Canada for the first time, although I lost 3 of my 4 party members in the multi-hour siege right before the border (including Billy and Jimmy, the Martial Artist+BERSERK brothers I started the game with), all within the last 10 minutes before I would have been able to escape. A Pyrrhic victory indeed.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the tips, I managed to make it to the 4 hour siege right before the border but I ran out of ammo and bombs and got overwhelmed (I was even able to grab all the freebies within the buildings within the city). Now I'm just trying to work out when to go solo and when to recruit. I am a lover of dumb jokes and internet memes so I always recruit the unique people. Found a maid with an indestructable mop and a 18th century cosplayer

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I recently started playing ToME4 after a recommendation from a friend. I've played a few roguelites in the past, but this is the most traditional roguelike game I've played.

This game is amazing, holy poo poo. Temporal Wardens are awesome. Each of the classes feel really unique and powerful in their own way, and I love how the game cuts out stuff like hunger or potion/scroll inventory management and just throws you into fight after fight with powerful enemies.

My only problem is I want to play ALL the classes, because the ones I've tried are so fun. :(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Definitely pick your events in DRTC like "big shop" police station and gyms can be deathtraps and you gotta learn which ones you can handle amd which you cant

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So Duskers is 20% off ($16), is it worth getting? Its had my mild interest for a while.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So Duskers is 20% off ($16), is it worth getting? Its had my mild interest for a while.

Yes. It's really bleak and tough though! I think I'll be playing it in short bursts for a couple of years.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Yo I'm not sure if this is an entirely appropriate place to post this or not (feel free to yell at me if it isn't) BUT I am currently working on prepping a rogue-like I'm making for a Steam Early Access release and we've reached the point where it would really help to get some more people testing. Call it a pre-beta beta if you will. (NOT Alpha, because by its very definition in software testing it means INTERNAL testing. I must confess it drives me up the wall to see games on sale that claim to be Alpha.) Anyway. My game is called We Need to Go Deeper and it's a predominantly co-op focused rogue-like, so if you'd like to help test you'll have to rope in some friends to test it with you.

Basic premise is that you and some friends are trying to get to the bottom of a procedurally generated trench by running a submarine together. You'll have to repair leaks, fight off nasty crabs and tentacle monsters, and keep the sub in one piece while you travel. If this sounds like something you'd be willing to help test (and spoil the magic for yourself a bit, since it's in a VERY early state) I'd love to hear from ya. Just shoot me a PM here letting me know how many friends/co-horts you have available to play with (and your respective Steam Ids) and I can hook ya up so ya'll can help us get this fella ready for sale. If ya like.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bert of the Forest posted:

something amazing

Oh my god is this inspired by that one board game? poo poo the name escapes me now, but I had so much fun with friends playing that, I would be all for this. How many co-op buddies can you have, up to 4?

I have a couple of people I know I'd like to try it with, but would any goons in the thread like to team up for it as well?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

SaffronKit posted:

Oh my god is this inspired by that one board game? poo poo the name escapes me now, but I had so much fun with friends playing that, I would be all for this. How many co-op buddies can you have, up to 4?

I have a couple of people I know I'd like to try it with, but would any goons in the thread like to team up for it as well?

Haha I think the game you're referring to is Red November; we get that comparison a lot but I've actually never played it to be honest. Though from the looks of it it looks like an apt comparison to make! Anyway, our game supports up to 4 crew members. Sorry, should have probably mentioned that in my post haha

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That premise sounds fantastic. Good luck!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Haha I think the game you're referring to is Red November; we get that comparison a lot but I've actually never played it to be honest. Though from the looks of it it looks like an apt comparison to make! Anyway, our game supports up to 4 crew members. Sorry, should have probably mentioned that in my post haha

I would highly recommend you play Red November, it's pretty fun.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

SaffronKit posted:

I would highly recommend you play Red November, it's pretty fun.

Indeed, I intend to try it as soon as I get the chance!

Helical Nightmares posted:

That premise sounds fantastic. Good luck!

Thank you kindly! :D It's a pretty exciting time for us now. Me and three other dudes have been working on this on-and-off while working on our college degrees for the past 3 years now, so it's been a long time brewing. Hoping to really get it in ship-shape so we start off on the right foot when launching via Early Access. Incidentally, if anyone has any pet peeves about Early Access games in general they'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them in preparation for figuring out how to best approach our Early Access period.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Is this local co-op, or internet co-op, or both? I'd love to help test, but the people I could/would play with are different between the two.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Lee posted:

Is this local co-op, or internet co-op, or both? I'd love to help test, but the people I could/would play with are different between the two.

Having loaded it up to peek at the game, it is LAN or online co-op.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone here been playing siralim 2? i'm 20-something floors in but ugh.. i feel weak but i can survive well.

currently using a stronghold as a tank which auto provokes after each of it's turn so it gets targetted. along with that i have a valkyrie soldier that has a 30% chance to counter when an ally is attacked. i have a unicorn for the chance to revive on attack and minor healing, some ent for passive mend on the party for survivability, a dragon who's passive reduces the enemy's attack, and some swamp thing which i mostly use for aoe bleed + def/spd buff+debuff.

there's seemingly no easy way to restore mp in battles, though stats refill after each. but my monsters can only cast 1-2 spells a battle aside from some minor heal which is based on hp and a str buff i got that also uses hp instead of mp.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Yo I'm not sure if this is an entirely appropriate place to post this or not (feel free to yell at me if it isn't) BUT I am currently working on prepping a rogue-like I'm making for a Steam Early Access release and we've reached the point where it would really help to get some more people testing. Call it a pre-beta beta if you will. (NOT Alpha, because by its very definition in software testing it means INTERNAL testing. I must confess it drives me up the wall to see games on sale that claim to be Alpha.) Anyway. My game is called We Need to Go Deeper and it's a predominantly co-op focused rogue-like, so if you'd like to help test you'll have to rope in some friends to test it with you.

Basic premise is that you and some friends are trying to get to the bottom of a procedurally generated trench by running a submarine together. You'll have to repair leaks, fight off nasty crabs and tentacle monsters, and keep the sub in one piece while you travel. If this sounds like something you'd be willing to help test (and spoil the magic for yourself a bit, since it's in a VERY early state) I'd love to hear from ya. Just shoot me a PM here letting me know how many friends/co-horts you have available to play with (and your respective Steam Ids) and I can hook ya up so ya'll can help us get this fella ready for sale. If ya like.

This sounds absolutely amazing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I can in fact confirm We Need To Go Deeper is in fact, amazing. Even with the current sparse features two of my fellow goon friends and I had a blast. We made it to the 4th level which is apparently not implemented yet because we instantly game over'd (or won and there is no win screen?).

10/10 would go deeper again.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It is indeed very fun, if still needing some work (which is why it's in beta, so duh). My best comparison at the moment is the hectic gameplay of Guns of Icarus with the flavor of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and a dash of Lovecraft (at least, that's the only thing I can think of to explain some of the enemies we've encountered thus far).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Played We Need To Go Deeper with two friends earlier, and the game is incredibly rough, yet astonishingly good at getting across the basic feel of gameplay. We had a blast yelling at each other through a voice chat client, and I can tell it's really going to go places.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

I think everyone who reads this thread got a boner about the concept. I dont wanna participate but it sounds rad as hell.

E: Playing games before they're released has always ruined them for me. Like especially if I really like them I play a million hours of beta then never return to the game when its done cause ive already spent so much time on it.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Well this is all great to hear, guys. I am glad that despite the bugs y'all generally seemed to have a good time. :D Thanks for all the kind words! Your comments about made my day.

I will admit it is slightly concerning how quickly y'all burned through the content though haha but of course that'll all be part of the balancing act. Not that there isn't more content to add mind, but I suspected the current content would be a lot trickier to get through. :v: With that said, I'm curious to see how our level variants (The first layer for instance, can change biomes to change the way that area plays) increase base replayability.

We're working on a new update to fix some of the problems y'all have brought to light on our game, which I super appreciate by the way. This has been a very revealing day for us!

Isaac posted:

E: Playing games before they're released has always ruined them for me. Like especially if I really like them I play a million hours of beta then never return to the game when its done cause ive already spent so much time on it.

This is a totally valid stance to take too. I'm actually the same way when it comes to early access stuff. Which is why we're not just sending these beta builds to our existing fans just yet - don't wanna ruin the magic for them/get them burned out on it too soon. But thanks for the kind words :) Hope to see y'all around when we're finally ready for an *actual* release. :dance:

EDIT: Incidentally, for anyone who IS in the beta, I just started a new section on the Beta Testing forums that I suggest you subscribe to if you want to be informed about each patch/update we do. Normally in a release, we would make a formal announcement of each update, but with Beta I don't want to crowd our store page with patch notes/small updates just yet. So if you are interested, subscribe to this new discussion to know what each new update contains! http://steamcommunity.com/app/307110/discussions/1/353916981474631685/

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 16, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

how many people are you targeting for a playsession?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

baram. posted:

anyone here been playing siralim 2? i'm 20-something floors in but ugh.. i feel weak but i can survive well.

currently using a stronghold as a tank which auto provokes after each of it's turn so it gets targetted. along with that i have a valkyrie soldier that has a 30% chance to counter when an ally is attacked. i have a unicorn for the chance to revive on attack and minor healing, some ent for passive mend on the party for survivability, a dragon who's passive reduces the enemy's attack, and some swamp thing which i mostly use for aoe bleed + def/spd buff+debuff.

there's seemingly no easy way to restore mp in battles, though stats refill after each. but my monsters can only cast 1-2 spells a battle aside from some minor heal which is based on hp and a str buff i got that also uses hp instead of mp.

What mage are you playing? As that can factor into everything!
Also what castle stuff do you have unlocked and which realms? For getting better Spell Gems there is a food that increases the chance of finding them, also the magical realm has more spell gems. (At the very least it has a shattered one where you grab all 5 pieces).

E i type good

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Eonwe posted:

how many people are you targeting for a playsession?

I don't have any specific number in mind, just anywhere from 2-4 players is fine. The game has a system for auto-balancing difficulty so it should hypothetically be viable for any number of players. The cap of 4 is mainly due to the number of "jobs" our current submarine has available. If anything, we may need more smaller teams to get a better idea of how well the difficulty is self-balancing, since so far most of the folks here have come on board with 3-4 players.

Though if I misunderstood your question and you meant how many people are we targeting for the beta, then the answer is that I also don't have a number in mind for that either. But more than we have now, so it's all still open for whoever wants to PM me for beta keys. I'll make a formal announcement or something for when we're gonna close the doors on that. It's already inherently limited to these forums at the moment, since I haven't made this kind of post anywhere else as of yet.