Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
All high level fractals are basically MM necro fests now. Long live the zerg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I played a Mesmer a lot in GW1, which always made me a bit sad that i bounced so hard off of GW2 Mesmer.

Played a lot of necro too though, so. Kinda miss my old SS setup but this is juuust fine.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nickhimself posted:

228g on the TP, though. Lol that's not gonna happen anytime soon either, so =[

You could make that much in a day or two in bloodfen hopping between jade and justiciar maps and just collecting all that unstable salvage that drops in abundance and is worth a lot, or following tarir octovines and looting 5+ maps worth of grand chests with a guaranteed rare in each and occasional expensive recipe.

Fractals aren't that bad these days for money either, one of the tier 4 daily chests handed me a +9 agony worth 10g on the trading post.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
All of the minion skills take care of themselves in GW2, compared to hitting a button each time you want to summon one, manually targetting low-heath minions with death nova and jagged bones, managing their health yourself instead of relying on druid heal overflow, etc. Sure that's 'easier' and 'more convenient' but now you're just doing the same scepter dps rotation any other condi reaper would be, but with a trail of angry hamsters aggroing things you don't want to fight. And now they only bodyblock projectiles, not actual movement. It's a minion build the same way 5-signet warrior was a build.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You could make that much in a day or two in bloodfen hopping between jade and justiciar maps and just collecting all that unstable salvage that drops in abundance and is worth a lot, or following tarir octovines and looting 5+ maps worth of grand chests with a guaranteed rare in each and occasional expensive recipe.

Fractals aren't that bad these days for money either, one of the tier 4 daily chests handed me a +9 agony worth 10g on the trading post.

I'd love to do Fractacls, but I have like no AR and am still working on getting enough rubies for the bloodstone backpack. That will give me three ascended trinkets total but that's it for ascended gear. What's my best/smartest route for gearing up AR to do Fractals? Money is an issue. I'm not ostensibly poor but my funds are limited. I have 500 weaponsmith/armorsmith if it helps at all, and my most geared character's a warrior so he can use anything I can craft.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

neongrey posted:

I played a Mesmer a lot in GW1, which always made me a bit sad that i bounced so hard off of GW2 Mesmer.

Played a lot of necro too though, so. Kinda miss my old SS setup but this is juuust fine.

i kind of understand why mesmer why changed the way it was in the transition from gw1 to 2 but they will always hold a special place in my heart for being the ultimate assholes back then

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Max out the fractal mastery. Do guild missions for trinkets. Do low level fractals that don't require agony resist or just get good at dodging the agony attacks. Buy ascended rings and a amulet with laurels. Start doing the lower tier dailies and buy the potion if you need more agony resist. Attune and infuse your rings. Craft ascended weapons. You'll probably be around 100ar eventually with the potion. That should be enough for tier 3 dailies which have a decent chance of dropping ascended armor.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Depending on your class and build you might not need to craft ascended weapons if you can get them from elite spec collections instead. Way cheaper that way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Ascended Amulet no longer directly helps you increase your AR, but it's nice to have ofc.

nickhimself posted:

I'd love to do Fractacls, but I have like no AR and am still working on getting enough rubies for the bloodstone backpack. That will give me three ascended trinkets total but that's it for ascended gear. What's my best/smartest route for gearing up AR to do Fractals? Money is an issue. I'm not ostensibly poor but my funds are limited. I have 500 weaponsmith/armorsmith if it helps at all, and my most geared character's a warrior so he can use anything I can craft.

Here's the cost savings way of getting into Fractals:

- For ascended Accessories, do Guild Missions, get 24 Commendations, go the Lion's Arch Guild area, buy 2 unique Ascended Accessories, put some amount of +AR infusions in them. The aim is eventually for +9 AR in many slots, but don't rush for it, +7 and lower are fine too. Just get something.

- For Ascended Rings, after or while maxing out Fractal Mastery, just do lower level Fractals (Tier 1) based on the AR you have in your Accessories, until you get any Infused Ring to drop, regardless of the stats, then Attune it, then repeat for a 2nd ring. Put lots of +AR into these rings, whatever you can afford. Infused rings will eventually drop like candy, and Attuning them is almost no cost in gold or time, so just upgrade them as you go.

- Step into Tier 2 ASAP, aiming for 43 AR which lets you do most of the T2 dailies. 61 AR is needed to do Mai Trin/Aetherblade. The goal is more ring drop chances and more gold and more practice with the mechanics of the fights.

- On the side, craft an Ascended Greatsword via your 500 weaponsmithing. Probably Zerk stats. Put big +AR into it.

- Craft 1 of the cheaper Ascended Armor (Shoulders, Gloves, or Boots) if nothing has dropped for you yet. Put big +AR into it.

If you've gotten to this point, assuming you have a normal Ascended backpiece, you should have 12 slots for AR, aiming for +9's in them, giving you 108 Agony Resist, which is enough to do all Tier 3 Dailies including Mai Trin.

- Suffer through the hellhole of Tier 3 pugging, slowly clawing your way to Ascended Armor drops and/or gold. Spend them. Try to get to 130 AR total ASAP so you can at least do some of the t4 dailies. Craft more Ascended Armor to move forward if the hellhole is consuming you.

- Grats, you have made it to the End Game where gold and pinks floweth.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Waci posted:

More mesmer info

I swapped into GS + Sword/shield but i have no idea about traits.

Domination 221
Dueling 123
Chronomancer 333

Well of Eternity, Well of Recall, Well of Action, Blink and Time warp for utilities

Being ranged on PVE meta events is something i should have done sooner but i don't feel this build has a lot of direction. It has several nice to have traits without much synergy. Could you suggest a better build?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

- Grats, you have made it to the End Game where gold and pinks floweth.*

*actual results may vary.

Ask me about not even seeing a fractal crate drop since fractals came in sets of three!

fakedit: plenty of uninfused rings with gag stat combos that net you a cool 4s95c at the vendor tho

:colbert:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

I swapped into GS + Sword/shield but i have no idea about traits.

Domination 221
Dueling 123
Chronomancer 333

Well of Eternity, Well of Recall, Well of Action, Blink and Time warp for utilities

Being ranged on PVE meta events is something i should have done sooner but i don't feel this build has a lot of direction. It has several nice to have traits without much synergy. Could you suggest a better build?

Domination 322 (GS skills don't really need reduced recharge, but shatter skills get a nice boost from extra damage)
Illusions 112 (Illusion has some great shatter synergy too)
Chrono 333

My utilities usually are Signet of Ether, Mantra of Resolve (swap if you dont really need condi removal), Well of Recall, Well of Action and Time warp.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guest2553 posted:

*actual results may vary.

Ask me about not even seeing a fractal crate drop since fractals came in sets of three!

fakedit: plenty of uninfused rings with gag stat combos that net you a cool 4s95c at the vendor tho

:colbert:

With the price of Stabilizing Matricies over 40s, if you're looking to sell on average it's currently worth it to salvage and sell. Of course with the inane price fixing allegations, the recommendation would be to do this sooner than later.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I want to make my Revenant my wvw character, is this build good enough or do any of y'all have a better suggestion? I don't have Herald yet but that's just a matter of time.

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil

AnacondaHL posted:

- Suffer through the hellhole of Tier 3 pugging

I just recently got back into fractals after like 2+ years. Think my personal best was like 7. After 3 weeks I've gotten my personal lvl to 66 atm. I never thought PvE was this drat toxic...I've done dungeons/world events etc. but this poo poo takes the cake.

it's like 1 out of 4 runs will be successful because the other 3 will fail because one out of four things will almost always happen.

1. Post LFG without saying it needs an opener.

2. Someone without enough AR..yeah you know who u are motherfucker why even bother wasting our time

3. Someone that got carried and still doesn't have a loving clue how to do the fractal...yeah I'm pointing at you guy...who we had to res 50 times and made the fractal take 5x longer.

4. Some dickhead shitbag that rage quits on 1st wipe and let's everyone know how bad we all are.

not gonna include the waiting till almost end to kick someone to get a friend/guildy in..that poo poo's been happening since forever (dungeons) and there is always the chance it's gonna happen.

Other than that it is still decent money/loot ...just do the dailies...all i ever do. Keep your sanity intact.

I hope it gets better 75+...

deaf jesus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 13, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i kind of understand why mesmer why changed the way it was in the transition from gw1 to 2 but they will always hold a special place in my heart for being the ultimate assholes back then

Yeah, it makes some sense and aesthetically I love giving them swords, but man I keep getting weird urges to pick up GW1 again sometimes just so I can really hammer some mobs for having the gall to literally do anything at all.

Kinda want to give mesmer another go now that it's been a couple years but I left mine off deep enough into the story that I think it'll do a bad job for giving me the feel for wtf I should be doing. And I've got a bit of an urge to do the early charr story over again (and there's never enough ladycharr out there). I do have an empty slot and more level-to-30 boosts than I could ever possibly use and a bazillion level up tomes, but ugh, I really ought to be sinking my xp into all these masteries... And do I really want to feel that fragile? I've been playing necro almost exclusively since I came back, and my god that's durable.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 13, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

hurtmeplz posted:

I hope it gets better 75+...

It does, though you definitely want a Viper Necro for T4. Makes life a lot easier.

AnacondaHL posted:

With the price of Stabilizing Matricies over 40s, if you're looking to sell on average it's currently worth it to salvage and sell. Of course with the inane price fixing allegations, the recommendation would be to do this sooner than later.

Also if you attune then salvage it's the equivalent of salvaging an extra ring, and attuning is dirt cheap.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I came back recently and tried out the fractal changes and it's a nice change of pace from swamp x3 along with the cringe worthy fractals tuned down.

Things improve at 75+ because people are probably going to be maxed agony resist instead of the hodgepodge of random resists in the lower ratings, there is some agony outside the fractals to test people for resists if it's a consistent problem, and if they don't listen and stand in it you can kick em.

Or just replace em at the first wipe at the boss because it's fast to fill if you put at boss in your lfg.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sad I missed all the GW1 profession talk last page. That game has such clever classes. I've idly thought about how Dervish and Paragon could work in GW2. Hypothetically I could see Dervish as a mantra-using Guardian elite spec or something, but that'd seem like it isn't doing justice to something that was so cool.

I mostly played Mesmer in GW1 and that hasn't changed in GW2. It's a pretty unique profession in both but it really was something special in GW1.

nickhimself posted:

You don't need agony resist for low-tier fractals, and doing fractals helps you get money/materials to build up agony resist for later. That's not to say it doesn't take effort, but you can get started in fractals as soon as you're rocking exotic gear, really.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 14, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would want to see a paragon elite spec for guardian, honestly

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

It could work, after all, we already have spears in the game...

Dervish could be the elite spec for another class. The light armor classes all would feel kind of wrong for dervish, maybe ranger or thief?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Look at you poor saps still being hopeful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

I could see it, though I'd be really surprised if they made land spears. They'd probably just shove a warhorn in their offhand and give them a bunch of new shouts. I'd love spears as a land weapon, though, especially as they seem to be de-emphasizing underwater combat.

That was actually something I ran into when I was screwing around thinking of hypothetical elite specs: there's no way ANet is going to be able to keep adding entire utility skill types to professions, so eventually elite specs are going to have to expand a type they already have. It might also be cool for elite specs not to add a new weapon, but to give the profession an entirely new skill bar with an existing weapon. (The danger there is that you're now removing options with an elite spec rather than adding them, but I don't think that's necessarily something they should never do.)

TeaJay posted:

It could work, after all, we already have spears in the game...

Dervish could be the elite spec for another class. The light armor classes all would feel kind of wrong for dervish, maybe ranger or thief?

The more I think about it, the more I realize Dervish would probably have to be an entirely separate profession--none of the existing ones would really fit it with an elite spec. Which means it probably isn't going to happen, combined with the Dervish's "Avatar" skills being human racial skills and some of that flavor being wrapped into Revenant (which also has a bit of Ritualist).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 14, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

there's no way ANet is going to be able to keep adding entire utility skill types to professions

warrior: rage
engineer: gyro

rest got nothing new

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dreggon posted:

warrior: rage
engineer: gyro

rest got nothing new

I meant "skill type the profession didn't already have," really. Like Eles and Necros getting shouts that they didn't have before, that sort of thing. Eventually you're going to run out and start having to make up new skill types, in which case the distinctions between them will definitely become even more arbitrary.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

fractal life

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
wtf you have so much everything

I want to play end game stuff =[

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Most of that stuff is something you can easily get, well, except for the permanent bank access (?) and I guess 4500 gold too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, run fractals for a while and you'll be swimming in those agony infusions, and just run events for a whole and you'll have all the salvaged materials you could ever imagine. Getting that much gold takes a more concentrated effort, though.

If I was any good at making gold I'd offer tips but I'm just super awful at it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yeah, run fractals for a while and you'll be swimming in those agony infusions, and just run events for a whole and you'll have all the salvaged materials you could ever imagine. Getting that much gold takes a more concentrated effort, though.

If I was any good at making gold I'd offer tips but I'm just super awful at it.

You make gold by just playing the game. It vomits the stuff at you. I think since HOT launched I've scraped together something like 6k by just doing fractals and raiding and selling mats I don't really go out of my way to harvest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xenix posted:

You make gold by just playing the game. It vomits the stuff at you. I think since HOT launched I've scraped together something like 6k by just doing fractals and raiding and selling mats I don't really go out of my way to harvest.

I think part of my problem is I'm not aggressive enough about selling mats. I'm pretty reliable about selling cloth, leather, wood, and metal every time I reach a 250 stack, but I don't make much on other crafting mats like blood, bone, etc.

But I also haven't really started doing fractals yet. I started playing at launch but I've been pretty on-and-off and I never really got started on fractals (and haven't yet entered a raid at all). I'm sure I'll be raking in money pretty easily once I start doing those regularly.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Once you get a set of ascended and the required AR, you make like 5-11g in about 45 minutes every day from just junk items. You also can get ascended crafting mats and other things that sell well, like matricies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xenix posted:

Once you get a set of ascended and the required AR, you make like 5-11g in about 45 minutes every day from just junk items. You also can get ascended crafting mats and other things that sell well, like matricies.

I've got pretty much ascended everything except armor, and I could use an ascended offhand sword. Hopefully I can get what I need to make ascended armor by doing some low-to-mid tier fractals.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you infuse your backpack and rings and attune your rings you'll have 12 agony slots, if you stuff 6 +8s and 6 +9s into them you'll have 102 AR. The shop sells a +15 AR potion, and 117 AR is enough to do a third to half of the T4 fractals (the extras depend on how good you are at dodging Agony inflicting attacks). Doing half T3s and half T4s is definitely enough to generally get some ascended drops within a month or so, or at least to get enough money to start expanding your collection of Ascended stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My suggestion is to pick one character as your main, or 2-3 if you can armor and rune share, and just craft that first ascended armor set and weapons, equip every other guy in ascended drops.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Dreggon posted:

fractal life

My life is fractaled

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fractaled but whole

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Is there anyone doing low-level fractals that is willing to take a new guy aboard and show him the ropes? I want to get into this poo poo and learn how to do it, but i'm not interested in running with pubbies and their inevitable "all purple gear and hardmode achievements" requirements to join their garbage-tier groups.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sjonnar posted:

Is there anyone doing low-level fractals that is willing to take a new guy aboard and show him the ropes? I want to get into this poo poo and learn how to do it, but i'm not interested in running with pubbies and their inevitable "all purple gear and hardmode achievements" requirements to join their garbage-tier groups.

You can always ask in gchat, but that problem isn't really rampant, especially in the lower tiers since the full-ascended/max AR folks are running in tier 4 anyway. Some of the best/cleanest runs I've been in have been with pubs, across all tiers, so I really wouldn't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Sjonnar posted:

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1R-GiMTON4

Also Dreghon why Poison Cloud over Blood is Power?

• Locked thread