Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Who needs gameplay when you can date cute people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm satisfied with a close second for 428, and amused that people who want actual gameplay only managed to muster a 20% showing.

Shiren already has an official English translation, the two with the most votes don't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kenka Bancho posted:

allows her to choose facial expressions and battle lines to use when picking and preparing for a fight.

Yup, this is the best game.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm gonna date cute boys who will help me pound my enemies into submission and it's gonna be great.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm gonna date cute boys who will help me pound my enemies into submission and it's gonna be great.

Okay but what does this have to do with video games?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not Operator posted:

Videogames are a form of escapism, in that they're interactable and you can do things with them that are impossible in real life. Like, say, date cute boys who will help me pound my enemies into submission.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Now I want a posh school version of this where it's all about writing strongly worded letters and subtly polite barbs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Now I want a posh school version of this where it's all about writing strongly worded letters and subtly polite barbs.

that's called marimite

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Not Operator posted:

I need someone to play smash bros with

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I bought Higurashi and I'm at the beginning part, how long is it like just high school sim before spooky stuff happens?

I am finding these characters and high school experience so far even less compelling than Muv Luv Extra which is not something I thought I would ever say

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Stefan Prodan posted:

I bought Higurashi and I'm at the beginning part, how long is it like just high school sim before spooky stuff happens?

I am finding these characters and high school experience so far even less compelling than Muv Luv Extra which is not something I thought I would ever say

Your high school experience must have been pretty different from mine then, because the early Higurashi is eerily similar to what I did in high school: sit around with friends and have fun.

If you're not invested in the characters and don't like them, don't keep playing Higurashi. Horror/dread fiction doesn't work if you have, like, negative connection to the people involved.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

Your high school experience must have been pretty different from mine then, because the early Higurashi is eerily similar to what I did in high school: sit around with friends and have fun.

If you're not invested in the characters and don't like them, don't keep playing Higurashi. Horror/dread fiction doesn't work if you have, like, negative connection to the people involved.

I mean I didn't like any of the characters of Steins Gate at first but ended up liking that game a lot and was ambivalent about Muv Luv Extra but liked Unlimited so I'm willing to give it a chance if the part past the high school stuff is good

I kinda take for granted that in a lot of these anime games I'm gonna not like the first part where it's just suupa uguu kawaii high school adventure~~~~ but I'm willing to get through if it has like an interesting mystery or the poo poo that happens is compelling

I did like the high school poo poo in Persona 3 and 4. Those have probably been the only games where I enjoyed all the high school interactions all the time, just so you know that I don't like hate the genre of high school poo poo. I actually like it a lot sometimes, just this game seems way more anime trope-y than some other stuff I've played so far.

I guess to sum up, I like high school poo poo, it's just like the actual execution of the high school stuff in this isn't grabbing me but the actual plot might

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Don't worry, it'll change tone pretty quickly. It's not muvluv levels of read an entire novel before things start tripping out.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

if the part past the high school stuff is good

I kinda take for granted that in a lot of these anime games I'm gonna not like the first part where it's just suupa uguu kawaii high school adventure~~~~ but I'm willing to get through if it has like an interesting mystery or the poo poo that happens is compelling

BRO YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH HAVING FUN WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Stefan Prodan posted:

I did like the high school poo poo in Persona 3 and 4. Those have probably been the only games where I enjoyed all the high school interactions all the time, just so you know that I don't like hate the genre of high school poo poo. I actually like it a lot sometimes, just this game seems way more anime trope-y than some other stuff I've played so far.

I guess to sum up, I like high school poo poo, it's just like the actual execution of the high school stuff in this isn't grabbing me but the actual plot might

oh okay

But "after the high school stuff" doesn't really happen. School Chill Times are a recurring thing throughout the episodes, and also it's a small town school without specific grade levels that services all ages in only a few rooms weren't you paying attention JEEZ

:goonsay:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha I mean we'll see, maybe I'll still hate it later, but people have said it's good and I enjoyed P3/P4 and S;G based on people's recommendations online although I enjoyed P3 and 4 right away. I've enjoyed enough of these that have good reputations that I'm willing to gamble and invest some time in it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

higurashi's plot starts moving toward the end of the festival.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just me and my friends having fun in a creepy-rear end village.

e: The setup for Higurashi is based on old Key games so it does have some typical anime cutesiness.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 12, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Onikakushi probably has the highest silly:creepy ratio of all the chapters but it doesn't take that long to "get real" compared to (to use an example you went with) Steins;Gate. And despite my feeling that the cast is extraordinary strong/well developed there isn't really a defining moment where it will all just click, the chapters just slowly but surely draw you into their personalities and circumstances and before you know it you'll look up and realize that it's just about impossible to not sympathize and root for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most of that character development happens through heavily expository segments in the later chapters and not through the natural course of events. They don't really make the most out of the "silly" portions of the story and those can actually drag as a result. There were a couple I ended up skipping later on (the goddamn water gun fights, the Lacrosse of Higurashi) and I really felt like I missed nothing. They're there for "mood" but it's pretty clumsy at it.

I remember my first attempt at reading Higurashi, I stopped at Chapter 2 because I just couldn't deal with the resumption of silly slice of life hijinks with no clear purpose. Using Steins;Gate as an example, every scene in that felt like it had a purpose. It introduced characters, furthered relationships, expounded on backstories, gave adequate foreshadowing, and noticeably progressed things further towards an established goal. And once poo poo got real, they actually smartly connected a lot of major dramatic events to those previous slice of life scenes.

With Higurashi you only get some asinine "foreshadowing" that's only really there in retrospect and very little character development, with no clear goal in sight. Now, I get that it's important to set the proper mood for your stories, but your scenes have got to have more to them than just that, otherwise they're just dull and meaningless. Thankfully Umineko was a little bit better about that kind of thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the water gun fight owned what the heck

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

You missed out on that water gun fight, friend.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So Sekai Project announced Fatal Twelve. The concept seems pretty interesting. Hopefully it turns out to be a good VN.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm extremely interested

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AouqjGbOueg

MG announced localization of Sona-Nyl: http://mangagamer.org/sona-nyl/

I love the art from Liarsoft.

Alder fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 14, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MegaZeroX posted:

So Sekai Project announced Fatal Twelve. The concept seems pretty interesting. Hopefully it turns out to be a good VN.

I'm looking forward to it. It's by the same studio as Sound of Drop, a horror VN that slid under the radar a bit when it came out but that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AouqjGbOueg

MG announced localization of Sona-Nyl: http://mangagamer.org/sona-nyl/

I love the art from Liarsoft.

Looks cool but it's 18+ so let's not talk about it in this thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Even though it's releasing on Steam?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, there's an all-ages version that's releasing on steam.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh, carry on then. My mistake

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
re: Nurse Love Addiction:

Getsuya posted:

Well I picked it up finally so I'm going to play through with a walkthrough. I never play VNs blind because I'm just there for the story so there's no reason to not just read it straight through. The walkthrough I'm reading says to avoid any bad ends until after I've done all the good ends and that the 'school life' ending is to be avoided at all costs because it spoils every girl's route while also giving you an unsatisfying abrupt ending.
I see what they meant by that now. Some of the real endings diverge from that one much earlier than I realised. But "some of the things that happen in this ending also happen in other endings!" still seems like a really silly definition of it "spoiling" them to me.

Anyway, I've finished it now. I've seen all the good endings, and a couple of others that I ran into by accident. I enjoyed the first real ending I got a lot, because the sudden change in direction was still novel and exciting, but it started to drag pretty quickly after that. I can't, won't, and shouldn't say it's a good game. The nicest thing I can say about it is that parts of it are very entertaining, and I really like exactly one of the characters.

A revised translation of Fault Milestone One came out recently; I might have to replay that next to detox myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flowers' tl has been dramatically overhauled, but there are still a few weird lines. the phrase 'lesbian feelings' is used multiple times in a clunky way.

also, fair warning that it's way less about explicit relationships and happy endings than kindred spirits. it's a lot more about drama and characters angsting.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Also the mysteries are horrible and shoehorned in.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

S;G coming to Steam next month.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/steinsgate-finally-releasing-steam-september-2016/

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd thought it was already on steam

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super cool. I already have the original PC English release but I might consider getting it again just to have it in my Steam library.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

I'd thought it was already on steam

nah, it was part of a leaked steamdb list that included other games like guilty gear, edf and danganronpa, two of which weren't confirmed to be getting released when it leaked, so while getting all of those games pretty much confirmed its existence, they never just put it up

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Finally. As far as I'm aware, Jast has been struggling with 5pb on this for quite some time. Of course, I don't remember where I heard this.

Edit: Higurashi chapter 4 is 100% translated and edited!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 19, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Himatsubushi is the shortest chapter so that's not too surprising, but still cool. They may actually get it out ahead of the Voices/PS3 patch for Tatari at this rate.

It's a big milestone either way because after that it's the Answer chapters which ooooooooooown.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are the Higurashi VN's as different from the anime as Umineko was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really but I think they're executed better. the anime kinda gets the tone wrong imo