Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

I have a lodge that I like, but I'd enjoy a higher quality (so I guess old) cast iron. I live in Canada.

Is ebay the best place to find those? Shipping is probably going to be stupidly expensive

Flea markets, yard sales and estate auctions are a great place to look, it seems like you have a better chance a finding a good pan that isn't way overpriced.

I usually take a small steel ruler with me so I can check to see if the bottom is warped. Also, hold it by the handle with two fingers and hit it with your knuckle to see if it's cracked. A cracked pan will usually have a dull thud, a good pan will have a short ringing sound to it. I don't usually care if the pan has so much crud built up on it that I can't see the name or marks on the bottom, if it' has that much build-up on it it's probably a good old pan (and t's fun to clean it up and find out what it is).

Older Lodge pans are nice and smooth on the inside and usually go pretty cheap because they are unmarked and 'generic'.

Identifying Lodge cast iron
Arc Logo - from 1910-1930's
No logo - late 1930's - heat ring with one notch at 12 o'clock (opposite side of the handle) and a raised size number on the top of the handle or the bottom of the pan under the notch.
No logo - 1940's-1950's - heat ring with three notches at 9 12 and 3 o'clock
No logo - 1950's-1960 - letters were added denoting the type of pan. SK for skillet, DO for dutch oven , etc
No logo - 1960-1987 - "Made in USA was added
Egg Logo - 1987-current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Flea markets, yard sales and estate auctions are a great place to look, it seems like you have a better chance a finding a good pan that isn't way overpriced.
Call up your aunts and mum and ask them if they have any old cast iron pans. Chances are they don't use them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ This is a really good idea, my mom gave me most of her cast iron because she got weaker with age and the big skillets are too heavy for her to handle now.

KingColliwog posted:

I have a lodge that I like, but I'd enjoy a higher quality (so I guess old) cast iron. I live in Canada.

Is ebay the best place to find those? Shipping is probably going to be stupidly expensive
Check your local thrift and second-hand stores. And yeah flea markets are great but anymore the stuff is way overpriced.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 26, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I want to rehab my cast iron but I don't know if I have to start from scratch (sticking it in a hot oven until it all comes off and then reasoning), or just season it more. This isn't rust, just uneven seasoning. I oil it every time I use it, but as I just read in the OP olive oil is not a good oil for this, I'll start using veggie oil. I want it to look perfect. Any advice appreciated.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Put some flaxseed oil on it and stick it in the oven for a bit. You can get a small bottle from Amazon or whole foods for less than :10bux:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My dudes, check out what I just picked up:

Got it for the sweet sweet price of $free; I spotted it sitting next to the dumpster on top of some old furniture. It's pretty gunky, but no cast iron is ever beyond saving as we all know.

I predict pancakes and awesome burgers in my future, as great as my pans are they're limited on real estate so this will be a nice change.

Late edit:

Yeah, that'll do. (ignore the crust on the egg, I didn't let it cool down enough after turning the heat down so the first side browned a little. Yolk and the other side were perfect.)

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 1, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, that'll do. (ignore the crust on the egg, I didn't let it cool down enough after turning the heat down so the first side browned a little. Yolk and the other side were perfect.)
Ignore delicious crispies? Never!

Good find!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile and thought it was hash browns. Both are acceptable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I was trying to figure out why someone would put a slice of Kraft cheese on a pancake

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks to Alpine Mustache for the Flax Seed Oil tip. Took her out for a spin.
This is one of the better recipes out of One Pan Two plates by Carla Snyder, a great book I recommend:
https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=xQ2UAQK7X_EC&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PT17

After setting the oven to 350 you're gonna wanna slice up six thin slices of prosciutto and crisp it up in 2 tbsp of butter (bacon oughta work fine I think but I haven't tried it). Transfer prosciutto to paper towel and pour the prosciutto flavored butter over 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (sorry about crappy photo). At the same time cook some large shells (2.25 cups) until they're just shy of al dente (look on the package and subtract 2 minutes from the recommended cook time. Then shock the pasta with cold water to keep it from cooking. Helps to sing Peter Gabriel's shock the monkey but substitute the word monkey with pasta as you do this.

So now you've got your crispy meat, flavored breadcrumbs, and nearly cooked pasta. Get you cheeses on son! Recipe calls for 1/3 cups of grated gruyere, goat, and parmesean, we usually do 1/2 cup of each. Next melt 2 tbsp butter in the pan you cooked the prosciutto and add 1.5 tbsp flour. Mix it in and once it foams up add 1.5 cup warm milk. Recipe says to cook for just a couple minutes to get it thick but I usually go for at least 5.

Add cheese, salt, pepper, and grate in some nutmeg. Now mix in the prosciutto, pasta, and top with bread crumbs. Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes, and if you're like me use the broiler at the end for maximum brownening.

Throw some chives from the garden on top to be a fancy pants. I know mac and cheese isn't really anything to write home about, but the buttery prosciutto breadcrumbs, three cheese blend, and baking it in a cast iron makes it the perfect comfort food. We make this a lot in my house. I kinda want to substitute one or two of the cheeses with a different cheese, any suggestions?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh my god this looks amazing

I'm already looking up the next time my vegetarian roommate is out of town so I can do this

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

legendof posted:

Oh my god this looks amazing

I'm already looking up the next time my vegetarian roommate is out of town so I can do this

Do they get offended if you eat meat?

Also that dish looks amazing... although my lactose intolerance just made me gassy by looking at it!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Regnevelc posted:

Do they get offended if you eat meat?

No, we just always cook for the whole house.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Fake bacon maybe? :question: I keep trying to think of something salty and vegetarian and keep coming up with nuts and that sounds dumb. I guess if you can get veggie bacon crisp it might be worth a shot.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Mushrooms instead of bacon for vegetarians.

If you're looking to swap out one of the cheeses, consider Gouda.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Soyrizo is really tasty...

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Kenji's got an excellent recipe for mushroom bacon.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/recipe-update-even-better-mushroom-bacon-vegan-experience-food-lab.html

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

...something salty and vegetarian...

Season the sauce with Vegemite. Or Marmite if you want a bit more twang.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Today's carboot find! A 26cm pan identical to the 13 I already have, only much newer looking. Been looking for a decent big pan forever.

Here it is scrubbed clean.

Here's my identical but smaller and much more beaten up pan for comparison, I've finally managed to get a fried-egg-safe seasoning on this thing again, although it still has dents and nicks in the seasoning.

Currently have it in the oven with a nice coating of flax oil on it, this should be good! :woop:

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Maybe this is a dumb question but: I bought my first cast-iron skillet today, I'm thinking I'll let it season tomorrow while I do other chores around the house. I was planning on using the Cook's Illustrated seasoning guide linked elsewhere in the thread. Mine comes preseasoned though, and CI says to strip it of the preseasoning first by running it through the oven's self-cleaning cycle. My oven is cheap and does not have a self-cleaning setting. Is there a standard temp/time to use for that?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
No, self clean can can get into the thousands of degrees and it's impossible to set your oven that high manually. You can always strip the seasoning by soaking on 50:50 vinegar:water for a few hours and then giving it a little elbow grease with a wire brush. You can also use a grinding wheel.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
You could just start cooking on it as well.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

FetusSlapper posted:

You could just start cooking on it as well.

This is what I did with my 10" Lodge about 10 years ago. No complaints so far.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah just soak it for a while and then scrub it down with a brillo pad, then throw some flax oil or bacon or whatever on it. It'll be fine.

New pan up there came out lovely, although there's a weird shiny spot in the center. Gonna try cooking on it later!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Taking a grinding wheel to a brand new pan seems silly to me

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here got any forged skillets? Apparently they used to forge iron skillets in the past too, and not just cast them. The resulting pan is thinner and lighter, less porous. I think noticed while watching this youtube guy who does 18th century cooking and he used skillets that looked a bit off for being cast iron, basically too thin looking. Well they sell them and it says they're forged:
http://jas-townsend.com/6inch-fixed-handle-skillet-p-1478.html

Some day I'd like a forge and bang together my own skillet (no, seriously, I do have a long term goal of having a forge).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone here got any forged skillets? Apparently they used to forge iron skillets in the past too, and not just cast them. The resulting pan is thinner and lighter, less porous. I think noticed while watching this youtube guy who does 18th century cooking and he used skillets that looked a bit off for being cast iron, basically too thin looking. Well they sell them and it says they're forged:
http://jas-townsend.com/6inch-fixed-handle-skillet-p-1478.html

Some day I'd like a forge and bang together my own skillet (no, seriously, I do have a long term goal of having a forge).

The point of cast iron is to be dense and heavy - but that might be a cool pan. I wonder how they compare to carbon steel

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

McSpankWich posted:

No, self clean can can get into the thousands of degrees and it's impossible to set your oven that high manually. You can always strip the seasoning by soaking on 50:50 vinegar:water for a few hours and then giving it a little elbow grease with a wire brush. You can also use a grinding wheel.

It's more like 900F, not thousands of degrees. You'd be melting the glass and everything else at those temps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bob Morales posted:

The point of cast iron is to be dense and heavy - but that might be a cool pan. I wonder how they compare to carbon steel

I was thinking the same. Sounds like a cool pan.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys. I washed mine with a little bit of Pam and some water (there was a spot from where the label had been affixed with glue, I had read that Pam would take it off and that seemed to work) and made some BLTs tonight. Delicious. Gonna try burgers in a few nights, probably BLTs again sometime soon, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Picked up an old Husqvarna skillet at a booth fair. I've gone at it with angle grinder and bristle brush attachments, I find they give the nicest results and don't hurt the metal. On the bottom I flattened it using a disc sander because why not, got tools, gotta use them, made a nice circular pattern that followed the factory look. Also used a randon orbital sander on the inside and smoothed it down. Contrary to opinion I really think it helps alot.

Then oil and into the oven. It came out looking kinda rusty / yellowish. That's how it goes for me and I usually find it works better to continue seasoning by cooking after this step. So I started frying eggs, perhaps not the best but i had no bacon. The first one was sticky but the 2nd one was basically like a teflon pan. The secret I find is the spatula. God I love this spatula, I could not cook without it. I fried the 1st egg and I scraped off the pieces that got stuck, metal is the key here, with soft edges, keep scraping and scraping until it's gone, you'll feel how the spatula just glides really easily on the surface. I cleaned out the pan, more oil & salt, then another egg and yes, near perfect non-stickage.

As you can see, I like my eggs fried to a crisp as well, no runny yolks for me. More like chips.

Anyway now I just gotta keep on using it and it'll turn all black. I really like this small one, will be great for pancakes and eggs and smaller stuff. No need to haul out the big one every time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sweet, first thing I cooked in mine was a fried egg too, this pan came up really nice. It stuck a little bit, but I'd only really put two coats of oil on it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2016

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Nettle Soup posted:

Sweet, first thing I cooked in mine was a fried egg too, this pan came up really nice. It stuck a little bit, but I'd only really put two coats of oil on it.

I may be way off base here, but is that a Le Creuset with the "satin black" interior surface? I inherited one of those and I have no idea how to use/clean it. Treating it like my Lodge doesn't seem to work. Treating it like a normal pan doesn't seem to work.

moller fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 22, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

moller posted:

I may be way off base here, but is that a Le Creuset with the "satin black" interior surface? I inherited one of those and I have no idea how to use/clean it. Treating it like my Lodge doesn't seem to work. Treating it like a normal pan doesn't seem to work.

I wash mine like any regular pan and occasionally use Bar Keepers Friend to remove anything that starts building up on it. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Friend®-Cleanser-Polish/dp/B000V72992

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

moller posted:

It's "Cousances", which Google helpfully informs me is actually Le Creuset under a name they stopped using in the 80s, neat. It doesn't seem to have any sort of finish on the inside, I just scrubbed it down and then seasoned it...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought this little thing for $10 in Home Goods or somewhere similar recently, but didn't realize it had holes in the bottom until I took it out the packaging (see 2nd picture).

http://www.wayfair.com/Oval-Cast-Iron-Grilling-Dish-183809-MBQ1480.html

I wasn't intending to use it on a proper grill (we have a shared one here but I've never cooked on one before as in the UK BBQ generally refers to burnt sausages on a disposable charcoal piece of crap, and I'm a bit cautious and want to learn it all first!) but just stick in the oven. Would you just line it with foil or similar first to stop all the juices dripping out of it, or just not use it in a home appliance full stop? It looks quite cute for a little single serving thing to do fajitas or similar.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd stick it on a small baking sheet or whatever to contain the juices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, I'll give that a whirl. Thought it would have some use so that's good to know!

copen
Feb 2, 2003

i'll just leave this here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I bet