Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

That would be really really hard

Sure, there's no way they could make it 1:1, but cap turn rates and slow the movement down a bit and you'd get closer than just the generic Source engine feel it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Max Wilco posted:

Is it possible to get Killing Time running on Windows 7, or do you need to set up a virtual machine or something? Is it also worth checking out the original 3DO version?

If you're feeling adventurous, obscure digital store Zoom sells Killing Time, apparently modernized to work on new computers:
https://www.zoom-platform.com/#store-killing-time

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sure, there's no way they could make it 1:1, but cap turn rates and slow the movement down a bit and you'd get closer than just the generic Source engine feel it has.

Friction, sticking-to-ground-ness, and air control, are probably also important but easily tuneable variables. It'll just take a gigantic amount of experimentation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hey can someone explain to me why the gently caress developers still insist on mouse input smoothing in video games? No one asks for it yet it still seems to be turned on by default, sometimes with no option to turn it off. I can see no reason why?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SwissCM posted:

Hey can someone explain to me why the gently caress developers still insist on mouse input smoothing in video games? No one asks for it yet it still seems to be turned on by default, sometimes with no option to turn it off. I can see no reason why?

I haven't played an FPS worth a poo poo that didn't at least let you turn off mouse smoothing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I haven't played an FPS worth a poo poo that didn't at least let you turn off mouse smoothing.

Bethesda's RPGs still require loving around with ini files. Whether or not they're worth a poo poo to you is debatable but there's no denying that they're major titles. I've also run into it a lot on Unreal engine stuff.

But still, why is it even an option?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Did you ever stop to think about all the fraggers with parkinson's????

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:toot: :toot:

My best friend is visiting next week, and we are loading this the gently caress up. I loooooooove that they've added maps. I don't necessarily care that the gameplay is changed. It'd be cool if they allowed you to disable jumping, though that hardly matters.

I'm also someone who legitimately enjoyed (the 360 port of) Goldeneye:Reloaded. Sure, it was CoD with Bond paint on it, but dammit, that jungle map was fun as gently caress. :colbert:

I'd love to play with goons as well. I assume this would be the best thread to organize that sort of thing?

EDIT: Needs a double-base cable-car map. All FPS games do.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 12, 2016

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

A.o.D. posted:

Did you ever stop to think about all the fraggers with parkinson's????

Every Genji that gets a POTG has Parkinson's.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

SwissCM posted:

As a developer myself, I'm also intrigued as to why mouse movement sometimes isn't left raw. However there's an important thing to note that mouse smoothing is usually mislabeled and is actually mouse acceleration, something that's actually very different.

Mouse smoothing is interpolation used to clean up movement of low DPI mice (around 400), however as most mice are at least 800 DPI now so it really shouldn't be used anymore, and hopefully isn't.

Mouse acceleration on the other hand is where fast movements are compensated as much bigger movements, and some people actually use or otherwise rely on this. Strangely I almost never see this directly labeled as an option (and as I stated is wrongly called smoothing sometimes) and I'm not entirely sure why. I almost wonder if it ended up in a bunch of stock code and everybody just keeps forgetting to change it. Or if it's being affected by the "Enhance pointer precision" system mouse option (they really shouldn't be but I've seen that and worse mouse APIs before).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Max Wilco posted:

Is it possible to get Killing Time running on Windows 7, or do you need to set up a virtual machine or something? Is it also worth checking out the original 3DO version?

laserghost posted:

If you're feeling adventurous, obscure digital store Zoom sells Killing Time, apparently modernized to work on new computers:

I bought the PC version a while ago and wrote quite a bit about it and that Zoom platform laserghost mentioned earlier in the thread.

As for the 3DO version, it's different enough from the PC version that it might be worth a look if you have a 3DO. The PC version has a completely different level layout than the 3DO version, along with some of the in-game FMVs playing out in a slightly different order. My main problem with the 3DO version is that the very first area of the game is this weird stone garden maze that seems to go on forever. This wouldn't be too big of a deal except that the majority of the enemies in the area are the same undead shotgun hitscan hunter repeated about a dozen times and health pickups aren't guaranteed. The 3DO version also runs a bit slower and it's graphics not as crisp as the PC version. I have a thing for obscure FPS and the 3DO had quite a few (I'm kind of surprised PO'ed doesn't have a PC port) so I'm used to Killing Time on 3DO, but the PC version is a lot better based on the level design and how well it runs in general.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Rocket Pan posted:

Mouse acceleration on the other hand is where fast movements are compensated as much bigger movements, and some people actually use or otherwise rely on this. Strangely I almost never see this directly labeled as an option (and as I stated is wrongly called smoothing sometimes) and I'm not entirely sure why. I almost wonder if it ended up in a bunch of stock code and everybody just keeps forgetting to change it. Or if it's being affected by the "Enhance pointer precision" system mouse option (they really shouldn't be but I've seen that and worse mouse APIs before).

Eternity Engine has an explicit option for mouse acceleration and it feels great to use, to the point where playing ZDoom and other Doom ports feels weird without it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's also worth pointing out there are a couple interesting usages of the Doom engine that likely will not get ported to G/ZDoom, such as Cruis'n Velocity.

Linguica posted:

Don't forget the PC version of Killing Time!

What really? Do they actually use the Doom engine, or just made use of Doom data formats to make use of freeware Doom editor instead of having to develop their own content development pipeline?

I mean, Dark Arena and Cruis'n Velocity are GBA games, they're unlikely to be using the Doom engine. Doom itself doesn't use the Doom engine on GBA! And there are other games like Birthright and Amulets & Armor that made use of Doom format maps but did not use the Doom engine.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://sites.google.com/site/conwayestate/home/attic/lutynskichat

According to this interview, Killing Time uses an original engine (by Rebecca Heineman, who also did the 3DO version of Doom), but they actually used BUILD.EXE to create the maps and then converted them to their own engine's format.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

Supposedly it's coming to GOG sometime in the near-ish future, there was apparently a support page for it set up but not active. I'll personally wait for that, as much as I want to play it I don't want to sign up for yet another DD store.

Cat Mattress posted:

I mean, Dark Arena and Cruis'n Velocity are GBA games, they're unlikely to be using the Doom engine. Doom itself doesn't use the Doom engine on GBA! And there are other games like Birthright and Amulets & Armor that made use of Doom format maps but did not use the Doom engine.

Didn't one of the GBA Dooms use the original engine? The first one, I thought, and that's why it ran poorly. And then the second one used the Southpaw engine?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Didn't one of the GBA Dooms use the original engine? The first one, I thought, and that's why it ran poorly. And then the second one used the Southpaw engine?
Correct. Doom 1 is based off of Jaguar Doom, Doom 2 uses Southpaw.

I don't know for sure about Dark Arena and Cruis'n, but Dark Arena contracted community mappers to make maps for them and Cruis'n is a 3D racing game that uses "stairs" instead of slopes...

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

daft punk railroad posted:

According to this interview, Killing Time uses an original engine (by Rebecca Heineman, who also did the 3DO version of Doom), but they actually used BUILD.EXE to create the maps and then converted them to their own engine's format.

quote:

We used DOOM when I was writing the new engine as a stop gap
There's a lot less "new engine" and a lot more "stop gap" even in the final product.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: :toot:

My best friend is visiting next week, and we are loading this the gently caress up. I loooooooove that they've added maps. I don't necessarily care that the gameplay is changed. It'd be cool if they allowed you to disable jumping, though that hardly matters.

I'm also someone who legitimately enjoyed (the 360 port of) Goldeneye:Reloaded. Sure, it was CoD with Bond paint on it, but dammit, that jungle map was fun as gently caress. :colbert:

I'd love to play with goons as well. I assume this would be the best thread to organize that sort of thing?

EDIT: Needs a double-base cable-car map. All FPS games do.

Very fun stuff! Just played some GoldenEye Source 5.0, very smooth gameplay, much improved from an older one I tried a while back. Groovy.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

My plan to improve goldeneye source: make the controls terrible.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rand Paul posted:

Other players don't see your Karate chop action.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

Very fun stuff! Just played some GoldenEye Source 5.0, very smooth gameplay, much improved from an older one I tried a while back. Groovy.

So glad to hear it!

Hey, what's involved in getting a 360 controller going with it? My friend is pretty much a console gamer, so this'll be one of his first attempts at a first person shooter on PC.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Shouldn't be too difficult at all in source engine.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1445-TKCN-0831
that should get you started.

also yeah there is an option in create server for No Jumping. Also read the readme and stuff there are probably a ton of server cvars.

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 13, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Commander Keenan posted:

Every Genji that gets a POTG has Parkinson's.

It took me way too long to figure out what the hell this meant.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rand Paul posted:

Ah, someone who's never held an N64 controller, I see. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new Goldeneye Source is fun as hell. I hope the community that's popped up lasts.

In other news, I released the first version of a thing I've been toying around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgeU3XHX4Y0

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

Please tell me there's a wad for this

There is

The author suggests combining with DOOD, ROOL, and Megabounce, for the ultimate nausea experience.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The Kins posted:

The new Goldeneye Source is fun as hell. I hope the community that's popped up lasts.

In other news, I released the first version of a thing I've been toying around with.

This is real cool and good. I didn't know about the IDKFA soundtrack or that wadsmoosh either. I was using maybe an older version of that, but no where near as polished.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Weapons feel punchy and goooood. Except for the super shotgun. It feels like a nerf launcher. Which would be great in anything but Doom. I :swoon: LOVE :swoon: what you did with the sound effects, particularly the weapons. Remixing and layering those otherwise stale Doom 3 sounds: GREAT RESULTS.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOCbGHQgFU

Tonights experiment. Sidescrolling? In my Quake?!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

c0burn posted:

Neat... but that camera jerk when shooting the shotgun is jarring.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

A.o.D. posted:

Neat... but that camera jerk when shooting the shotgun is jarring.

Yeah, i'll probably get rid of that.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

The Kins posted:

Honestly, my favorite thing about this video is a reminder of how thoroughly we've all memorized E1M1.

Also, the mod looks pretty sweet.

And I find it hilarious that you included your holy water pistol.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I like how each generation there are people who want to bent id games enough to make platform games:

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/retroquake.planetquake.gamespy.com/blog/index3786.html?p=267

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogSV6STCro0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZegD6vFZQ

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

c0burn posted:

That just jogged something in my memory...

I remember playing a game some random website's forum member made on the Quake engine, pretty sure it was Q1, it was a kind of weird, character-action game, though played mostly from the side, I think. It was a one-man project and completely free but I remember having fun with the beta; anyone know what I'm talking about?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

c0burn posted:

A simple rocket jumping map built for this mod would be fantastic.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mordja posted:

That just jogged something in my memory...

I remember playing a game some random website's forum member made on the Quake engine, pretty sure it was Q1, it was a kind of weird, character-action game, though played mostly from the side, I think. It was a one-man project and completely free but I remember having fun with the beta; anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Ascension of Vigil?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Even doom has some sidescroller mods, I don't know if anything good ever came from it though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The Kins posted:

goddamn is that a reference to the Doom rpg I see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

c0burn posted:

The Ascension of Vigil?

Yup, that's it all right!