Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I thought so, but wasn't sure and didn't feel like checking.

If you hate someone for literally being from Israel that's kind of hosed up? Like there are a lot of political issues involved there but "They're Israeli? gently caress them I hate them and hope everything they do fails" is an extremely messed up viewpoint to have.

Also if Wonder Woman bombs it's far more likely to be taken as "Welp, guess people don't want a superhero movie starring a woman" than "It failed because Gal Gadot was in the IDF!!!!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

If you hate someone for literally being from Israel that's kind of hosed up? Like there are a lot of political issues involved there but "They're Israeli? gently caress them I hate them and hope everything they do fails" is an extremely messed up viewpoint to have.

True, it's unfair to say all members of the IDF are complicit in anything because of Israel's compulsory service which is it's own tangled mess, but her continued support for the institution sucks.

ImpAtom posted:

Also if Wonder Woman bombs it's far more likely to be taken as "Welp, guess people don't want a superhero movie starring a woman" than "It failed because Gal Gadot was in the IDF!!!!"

Yeah, obviously, I'm just saying, hating her aside, and you asked why I hated her so :shrug:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Yeah it's very silly to hate an Israeli born jew for completing her mandatory government service in the military and for being pro-Israel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is not a conversation I should have started in the comic book movie thread; apologies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WickedHate posted:

This is not a conversation I should have started in the comic book movie thread; apologies.

You opened it. We came.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

You opened it. We came.

No no, wait, this is the movie thread, not the tv one.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm not particularly high on the DCCU and definitely did not enjoy any part of Man of Steel, but I kinda desperately need Wonder Woman to be good. The last thing a female DC character needs after Suicide Squad and The Killing Joke is for a movie to bomb. That would feel like a coup de grace. Not even the cool Finn Balor kind.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder Woman is the only comic book character I care about, so if her first big budget film isn't good I'ma be bummed out. Thankfully the SDCC trailer made my hype levels go nuclear and everything seems really good so far.

Also, from Jason Momoa's instagram:

:allears: Gal Gadot is/was a great choice to bring WW to life on film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deadpool was the only comic book character I cared about them getting right, and that feeling when they did was incredible. So I hope WW is great, if just for you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it would be ultra hilarious if the only one of the Big Three to get a not-unwatchable film starring them is Wonder Woman, considering of that trio she's the only one to have no character-definingly iconic DC stories to "adapt", unlike say Killing Joke/Kingdom Come/TDKR/Death of Superman and so on.

Also yeah I really hope WW isn't a bomb regardless of its actual quality, simply because if it doesn't work it says a lot for non-MCU female superhero solo films, and none of it is good.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gal Gadot isn't even Greek, if you're disappointed about her casting it should be because they whitewashed Wonder Woman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

Also yeah I really hope WW isn't a bomb regardless of its actual quality, simply because if it doesn't work it says a lot for non-MCU female superhero solo films, and none of it is good.

I think Wonder Woman will be financially successful just because it's Wonder Woman, quality or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

It all seems a bit Ken Livingstone, to be honest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whizbang posted:

Gal Gadot isn't even Greek, if you're disappointed about her casting it should be because they whitewashed Wonder Woman.

Neither is Wonder Woman :colbert: How is she white? she's from the middle east.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Whizbang posted:

So Greek's aren't white. But Europeans are white.
Is there some list of which countries make you white? Is there a line or cutoff point going through Europe?

Anyway, I really want this Wonder Woman movie to succeed (which 5 years ago was a phrase I thought that I would never say because I have never liked her.)
The letter strikes me as being from someone with a grudge or an axe to grind. I am optimistic about this film because it doesn't seem like they have as complex film to push as they did with Suicide Squad. And won't feel the need to miss the point of the characters as they did with SvB.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She'd be part Turkish anyway :) malakias.

I'm the only guy at my work who isn't greek!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

He's a great cinematographer. He can film a shot like nobody's business and has a great eye for angle, but his storytelling is slipshod at best and his editing work is laughable. Plus his scene direction is pretty trash, considering the best parts of BvS/MoS are when a great actor puts in a performance basically by themselves, like when Michael Shannon somehow is inexplicably the best and most sympathetic part of MoS or Gal Gadot basically acts in her own, much better film in BvS.

Does Zack Snyder actually have any cinematographer/director of photography credits in his filmography?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
actually Jonathon Kent is the most sympathetic person in MoS

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I hope you tell BSS when you hit your 20th birthday so I can stop excusing all the dumb poo poo you say because you're an idiot teenager

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wonder Woman is not Greek, she's Clay.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

Wonder Woman is not Greek, she's Clay.

Show us the Earth certificate!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whizbang posted:

semitewashed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

You can be Russian without thinking Vladimir Putin is a cool dude, just saying.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Plus there are plenty of conscientious objectors and people who don't agree with what the IDF does in the state of Israel. Gal Gadot is definitively not one of those people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not publicly you can't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not publicly you can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRer0ubNE0o&t=55s

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

You can be Russian without thinking Vladimir Putin is a cool dude, just saying.

This is more like wanting an actor's movie to fail because he's Russian.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mycot posted:

This is more like wanting an actor's movie to fail because he's Russian.

Not really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Not really.

Henry Caville comes from a military family, almost joined the military himself, and is an extremely strong supporter of the military. All his brothers are in the military and he's repeatedly expresses support for the military and even does base visits. "I want Man of Steel to fail forever because he supports American Imperialism" isn't something someone said.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Not really.

Yes really? Like I'm not spending any more posts on a topic even WickedHate thought was too dumb to continue but the argument literally started from looking at the actress's nationality and thinking that was something notable.

edit: Why do people root for movies to be bad anyway? Nothing in Suicide Squad's marketing looked to be for my tastes at all, but I'm still a little bummed it apparently wasn't very good because we got one more bad movie instead of a good one.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Part of it is the misguided hope that a movie failing means it can be reborn. Like Amazing Spider-Man failing allowed Spidey in Civil War which turned out to be really great. I think people apply that to a lot of things even if it's not likely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um. WB is never going to give up DC, and they've already restarted their universe like 3 times already. They're not doing it again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Part of it is the misguided hope that a movie failing means it can be reborn. Like Amazing Spider-Man failing allowed Spidey in Civil War which turned out to be really great. I think people apply that to a lot of things even if it's not likely.

In any event, I'm pretty sure Spidey going back to over to Marvel was the result of a series of events of which ASM 2 under-performing was only the most significant; even after it came out, I believe Sony was still at least nominally committed to their much-mooted Spider-Man cinematic universe (Venom spin-off, Silver Sable spin-off, Sinister Six spin-off - there was even that story about having an Aunt May Agent of Not-SHIELD spin-off which I believe turned out not to be true, but everyone believed anyway).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Henry Caville comes from a military family, almost joined the military himself, and is an extremely strong supporter of the military. All his brothers are in the military and he's repeatedly expresses support for the military and even does base visits. "I want Man of Steel to fail forever because he supports American Imperialism" isn't something someone said.

That's not why I "want Wonder Woman to fail", this is:

SonicRulez posted:

Although not as literal a comparison as thinking Warner Bros. would give DC to anyone else. I just want them to do better! But either way by the time you get to my personal opinion about the actress it's already so coated in poo poo one extra layer of poo poo is negligible. Israel specifically is a big issue over other things for me because of personal reasons so it sticks with me ever since I found that out about her.

If Wonder Woman is a great film, I'd be genuinely surprised anyway. Maybe it will be. More than anything I want to get things over with. It's been a slow march through DC's current cinematic universe so far, it feels like delaying in putting a sick animal down. If they can turn it around, and I have to deal with a character I don't really care about anyway being played by a person I don't like, alright. It just really does not feel like that's gonna happen.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any event, I'm pretty sure Spidey going back to over to Marvel was the result of a series of events of which ASM 2 under-performing was only the most significant; even after it came out, I believe Sony was still at least nominally committed to their much-mooted Spider-Man cinematic universe (Venom spin-off, Silver Sable spin-off, Sinister Six spin-off - there was even that story about having an Aunt May Agent of Not-SHIELD spin-off which I believe turned out not to be true, but everyone believed anyway).

I've been looking forward to a Venom movie since I was a kid, but god, that whole mess would have been a trainwreck.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still don't understand the thought process behind a Venom movie without a movie where the symbiote is on Spider-Man. What would a stand alone Venom even be, Lethal Protector?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

I still don't understand the thought process behind a Venom movie without a movie where the symbiote is on Spider-Man. What would a stand alone Venom even be, Lethal Protector?

That with Carnage as the main bad guy, I would assume. Kid WickedHate fuckin loved the symbiotes. I'm a lot less into them now, but still, that'd be cool if it could ever get pulled off well.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
A Peter-less Venom film has been a goal since the '90s, I remember reading Wizard Magazine describing the pitch as being similar to The Fly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

That's not why I "want Wonder Woman to fail", this is:

Although not as literal a comparison as thinking Warner Bros. would give DC to anyone else. I just want them to do better! But either way by the time you get to my personal opinion about the actress it's already so coated in poo poo one extra layer of poo poo is negligible. Israel specifically is a big issue over other things for me because of personal reasons so it sticks with me ever since I found that out about her.

If Wonder Woman is a great film, I'd be genuinely surprised anyway. Maybe it will be. More than anything I want to get things over with. It's been a slow march through DC's current cinematic universe so far, it feels like delaying in putting a sick animal down. If they can turn it around, and I have to deal with a character I don't really care about anyway being played by a person I don't like, alright. It just really does not feel like that's gonna happen.

I get where you're coming from with this, and it's put me in an extremely tough spot as far as the movies go. Because overall, no, they're awful, and the direction they took the movies in has been awful from the get-go. I would like nothing more than to see a good DCCU built from the ground up (personally I would take heavy inspiration from the immediate post-Crisis state of the comics) with a much better foundation than loving Man of Steel, but unlike you, I loving love Wonder Woman, and I want to see her in a good movie regardless of what 'shared universe' it's attached to. It's taken them this long to get a Wonder Woman movie put together and if this movie sucks, they're just going to dig in their heels and say "See, we told you. Wonder Woman is too complicated to do in a movie", and take another 75 years to try again. They're too far along now, they've invested too much to simply pull the plug now.

It's like when the ho-hum New 52 Batgirl became Batgirl of Burnside. I was hoping they'd take the lagging sales and bad press around Barbara's book and bring back Steph or Cassandra as Batgirl, but once they had the new costume and all the buzz surrounding it, they're not going to just throw that out to course-correct to where they should have gone in the first place. The ship done sailed, and just like I did end up liking the new Batgirl comics, I'm hoping for a couple of good films out of the DCCU.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

A Peter-less Venom film has been a goal since the '90s, I remember reading Wizard Magazine describing the pitch as being similar to The Fly.

Separating from the source worked for Catwoman! :downs:

Travis343 posted:

I get where you're coming from with this, and it's put me in an extremely tough spot as far as the movies go. Because overall, no, they're awful, and the direction they took the movies in has been awful from the get-go. I would like nothing more than to see a good DCCU built from the ground up (personally I would take heavy inspiration from the immediate post-Crisis state of the comics) with a much better foundation than loving Man of Steel, but unlike you, I loving love Wonder Woman, and I want to see her in a good movie regardless of what 'shared universe' it's attached to. It's taken them this long to get a Wonder Woman movie put together and if this movie sucks, they're just going to dig in their heels and say "See, we told you. Wonder Woman is too complicated to do in a movie", and take another 75 years to try again. They're too far along now, they've invested too much to simply pull the plug now.

I understand that my lack of interest in Wonder Woman divorces me from the situation a lot. If nothing else I'd feel lovely if my wishing it'd be bad makes it bad and you end up disappointed because of it. I think this whole shared universe is part of the problem though-it's just in it's DNA.

That every female superhero movie has been terrible is loving lovely as hell though and really needs to change. I'm hoping Captain Marvel can finally turn things around for good. Luckily for WW, she's popular enough that I don't think the movie will be any more of a "failure" than the last three movies even if it does suck, and she was reportedly the best part of Dawn of Justice. So enough ticket sales to make back the budget, at least. Hopefully that'll mean she'll get more movies in the future regardless of this one.

I don't dislike Wonder Woman and really appreciate stories that manage to make me care about her. The upcoming movie does not seem like it'll do anything of the sort, and I'm disappointed in that as much as I feel anything else towards it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe you should stop posting things that you don't mean so that you don't have to say that's not what you meant all the time.

• Locked thread