Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Geop posted:

oh my god jesus no :gonk:

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh death #30. :allears:

edit:

Oh #31.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Geop almost accidentally got that one shiny in the best/worst way.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I never realized you can fall off that bridge to get shinies until Geop died almost doing it. :ohdear:

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
The corpse run to the bridge that Geop is struggling with is why I personally hate Huntsman's Copse. That and the boss afterwards, though he's got an interesting gimmick, can be a total rear end in a top hat and is basically my Capra demon for Dark Souls 2.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

SilverhawkPX45 posted:

Did someone say "Rouge Leggins"?!

Really disappointed it's been over 24 hours and geop's avatar is still unchanged.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Regarding the pseudo-Havel: try stabbing in the back. You're not going to break his poise before he murders you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Outranging him also works decently well, such as with spears/bows/magic. In any case, given his gear and visible aura he's a right bastard of a fight.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Geop should drop an item for the Red Phantom to pick up and then backstab him. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yeah, I have had those mancatcher/whip dudes, the entire pack of them that leaps at you, chase me all the way back to the goddamn guy in the chair.

That spot has pissed me off enough that I'll usually just end up saving it for way later when I can just stomp those guys effortlessly. It's possible to run all the way, but it requires way more precision than it should thanks to geometry and all.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 13, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I had been waiting for death #31 for a long time, my thanks to everyone involved.

The corridor to the boss can be a pain when, as happened to me, you lose your patience the fifth time doing it and just try to rush it. Also, the red guy WILL stab you when you're crossing the fog door, like the rude boy he is.

And then the boss can destroy you if you don't know what to do! :v:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 13, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was going to recommend the big spooky bridge but then remembered that doesnt make the run along the rickety bridge any better.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, of course Geop would play a lot of Reinhardt in Overwatch.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The gauntlet of Grave Wardens and the red guy after them is definitely a contender for the most pain-in-the-rear end part of Dark Souls 2. There are parts I personally hate more, but it's on the list.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 13, 2016

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Ramos posted:

Man, of course Geop would play a lot of Reinhardt in Overwatch.

I'd pegged him as Zarya guy. She lifts.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Greatsword guy made me learn to parry. It is actually not hard at all, and my go-to recommendation for dealing with him. I know there's a lot of baggage attached to the technique, it's very often used in a "why don't you just git gud and parry everything? Did you know you can chain-parry the final boss of DS1 :smug:? I neeeever died to him, what a leeeeetdown :smug: :smug:" way. But I want to stress again: it's not that hard with a Buckler against an NPC phantom with very predictable and slow swings. It is just another technique like "bait out triple combo, then backstab" is against some enemies (like the non-whip dudes on the way to the red phantom, actually).

Not that I want Geop to go out and immediately practice parrying until he can steamroll every humanoid enemy, that's silly. It's just a very general recommendation because judging from how many people talk about it, they see parrying as this arcane skill only the superpros can do and never bother with it because UGH I'm not some TRYHARD, and there is that aspect to it (all those PvP montages where they nail an offhand curved sword parry...and did you know that you can parry with two-handed large weapons in DS2? It only needs a full second of prediction!), but with a simple Buckler and, like, five minutes investment to understand when the active frames of the animation are, you will open yourself to a whole new world of possibilities. There are so many fuckers which would give me grief and which I now just parry and gently caress up easily.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The real annoying part with DaS2 parrying is how it's ever so slightly different than in DaS1, due to various minor differences in frames and animation. It'll take a moment to get a feel for the new timings, if DaS1 is still in muscle memory.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I think greatsword guy is the perfect demonstration of every minor problem with Dark Souls 2 combat. The greatsword benefits a lot from the crazy tracking enemies have and it can kill you in a couple of hits, then on top of that he's a huge bucket of health and poise so you'll have to slowly chip him down if you don't fish for criticals. Oh and if you ever thought that NPC phantoms were under the same stamina constraints as you this guy will certainly clear that up. I think I've died to him more than most bosses.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
You couldn't deal with the red phantom because you couldn't dodge him. Not that you don't have the skills -- you definitely should have dodged him the first time -- you just don't have enough points in agility yet. If you aren't using your shield, you need to be able to dodge.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I'm not sure you can get help in the path leading up to the undead purgatory, the area seems to be a No Multiplayer Zone.

That said, I completely feel ya, Geop, that guy is a total jerk. My advice to cheese it, the next time you run into Gavlan, buy up some poison arrows/throwing knives and just let that do the work.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Generally it takes 3 or 4 instances of poison to inflict the status effect from knives or arrows, so just make sure to purchase them in groups of 4. (It doesn't hurt that the usual place to do so will happily act as a pawnshop, of course.)

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Can't wait to watch some high impact poison arrow action in the LP, hell yeah

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll add to the chorus that that guy is a piece of garbage. I hate him and he didn't even drop an awestone when I killed him in the COC. Never going through that pile of BS again.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The gauntlet of Grave Wardens and the red guy after them is definitely a contender for the most pain-in-the-rear end part of Dark Souls 2. There are parts I personally hate more, but it's on the list.

Yep. And sometimes for really lovely reasons.

This happened MUCH more frequently in the base game, but I did get it to happen once so far on my own playthrough. Sometimes in that area, every one of them will decide to notice you at once and bum-rush you. At which point getting through without dying is a lengthy and tedious exercise in kiting four guys around. Thankfully this doesn't happen frequently at all in SOTFS but back when the game came out, this was one of the encounters that sort of solidified my opinions on Dark Souls 2 not being very good.

Also that black phantom is a jerk and does a disproportionately huge amount of damage for where he is in the game for no good reason. He actually one-shot me when I first challenged him when I was in the covenant of champions, which is a testament to how hard he hits.

Edit; Wait, I don't remember what my last post was. I didn't think I said anything spoiler-y? Sorry, in any case. Although if anyone can remember what it was then please send me a PM because I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

BenRGamer posted:

I'm not sure you can get help in the path leading up to the undead purgatory, the area seems to be a No Multiplayer Zone.

That said, I completely feel ya, Geop, that guy is a total jerk. My advice to cheese it, the next time you run into Gavlan, buy up some poison arrows/throwing knives and just let that do the work.

You can get a buddy for that, did that poo poo with a friend, scholar.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gimbal lock posted:

You couldn't deal with the red phantom because you couldn't dodge him. Not that you don't have the skills -- you definitely should have dodged him the first time -- you just don't have enough points in agility yet. If you aren't using your shield, you need to be able to dodge.

Fwiw, Geop's shield actually did seem pretty effective against him - each hit from the red phantom was taking out about a third of Geop's stamina, which isn't that bad. I was pretty surprised when he 2-handed his mace instead!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

PleasingFungus posted:

Fwiw, Geop's shield actually did seem pretty effective against him - each hit from the red phantom was taking out about a third of Geop's stamina, which isn't that bad. I was pretty surprised when he 2-handed his mace instead!

It probably had something to do with the fact that it was still doing something like 10% of his health each time and the phantom showed no signs of slowing down - or at least was happily doing more than three attacks in a combo. It seemed like Geop was making the right choice, opting to try dodging instead, but the game just decided he didn't have enough i-frames.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

WFGuy posted:

It probably had something to do with the fact that it was still doing something like 10% of his health each time and the phantom showed no signs of slowing down - or at least was happily doing more than three attacks in a combo. It seemed like Geop was making the right choice, opting to try dodging instead, but the game just decided he didn't have enough i-frames.

Tying your ability to dodge to a stat you have to level instead of the type of roll you're doing itself was a great idea, right?. :downs:

This is one of those cases where the enemy has seemingly infinite stamina in this game, as well. This was way worse on release; most enemies do give you a break at this point, but there are still some jerks that can just keep going and going.

On another note, jump attacks (not plunging attacks) in this game can be pretty ridiculous. Some weapons - ultra great swords included - basically turn you into a cruise missile that can do a 180 degree curve to hit an opponent with the jump attack.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 14, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I didn't have much trouble with Big Red tbh as I killed him first go-round. Though I might have cheesed him by jumping. Can't remember.

The run-up to him absolutely sucks tho. That's pretty bad

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That pathway to the bridge infuriates me to no end. I have gotten adept to pulling every one of those guys with a bow because staff mummies are dicks. I can completely understand people running through to skip all of it and I wouldn't be surprised if they died far more than I did doing so :v:

WFGuy posted:

I've had success with a mixture of dodging and blocking, but it requires a 100% physical defense shield. You main dodging but you block the BS stuff he can pull off. It's very doable even with sub 100 agility.
He's also something of a lesson/prelude for what's coming up. Namely the damage he does and that he does, not, stop.

Also he's one of the few enemies made harder by use of the mace. Because he matches your pace and has 6x your reach. This guy is a big enough dick for me to never care too much over strike weapon playthroughs because longswords are the bees knees for whittling him down (and once you can do that, you can handle pretty much every other enemy in the game the same way.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 14, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
That dude is why sorcery runs are considered "easy mode." Especially since you get soul spear and great soul arrow before you get here.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Interesting thing, you don't need to used ranged weapons to pull those bandaged guys one by one - if you approach slowly they'll only aggro one at a time. Their trick is that they wait a few seconds after noticing you before they jump down. As for that phantom, I got pasted by him a couple of times before getting a buddy to help me - then promptly missed the jump to get that item and had to do the whole run again. I'M SORRY

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

PleasingFungus posted:

WFGuy posted:

Yeah, I forget if it was posted here or in another thread, but in Dark Souls 2 it seems like often you want a shield as a backup for the end of your roll so you pop up from the dodge already blocking instead of standing up into the tip of a wild swing. Like, you can't really do the Dark Souls 1 method of tanking every hit, but a stable shield will absolutely save your rear end when you end up just inside the range of the enemy's combo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Interesting thing, you don't need to used ranged weapons to pull those bandaged guys one by one - if you approach slowly they'll only aggro one at a time. Their trick is that they wait a few seconds after noticing you before they jump down. As for that phantom, I got pasted by him a couple of times before getting a buddy to help me - then promptly missed the jump to get that item and had to do the whole run again. I'M SORRY

This is unreliable and likely to get two of those dudes on you at once and that's a death sentence. Their 'hey there's the player range' is really huge, I've managed to get three of them on my case by just moving two steps forward towards the downramp.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I actually dont mind that area too much. That tiny two foot dropoff is enough to give you a plunging attack when they try run up the ramp to get you

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is unreliable and likely to get two of those dudes on you at once and that's a death sentence. Their 'hey there's the player range' is really huge, I've managed to get three of them on my case by just moving two steps forward towards the downramp.

Yeah, this tended to happen a lot in the base game, like I said. I think they are a lot less prone to all bum-rushing you now, but it does still happen occasionally. But I remember it basically being a 50/50 shot of you either drawing in one of them or all of them near release.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IIRC if you headshot them from the pole then they'll take fall damage when they drop down. Not a lot but it's funny (a bit)

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Deaths have finally overtaken jumping! :skeltal:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
^^^Damnit Geop try jumping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?