Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

my dad posted:

I'm getting King of Dragon Pass flashbacks.

garstal

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It might even be the inspiration. Probably the most important Irish folktale is the Táin Bó Cúailnge, or the Cattle Raid of Cooley. Gaelic cattle raiding was a huge business.

It def was the inspiration. Such a fine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hogge Wild posted:

Of course 'relatively modern' is a bit broad term, but iirc it was quite common to eat poultry in medieval era. And I think that the most important function for the cattle in Greece was to pull plows.

I'd include medieval in what I was thinking of but did they eat chicken much then? I know they ate birds regularly but I don't really remember chickens, more hunted things like ducks/geese/pheasants/etc.

Of course at all times roosters are only useful for making more chickens, and once the hens get too old to lay eggs then, welp. :byewhore:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 12, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course at all times roosters are only useful for making more chickens...

There is one other thing they are commonly used for. Of course, whether that is "useful" is up for debate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kopijeger posted:

There is one other thing they are commonly used for. Of course, whether that is "useful" is up for debate.

Bibant, quoniam esse nolunt.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd include medieval in what I was thinking of but did they eat chicken much then? I know they ate birds regularly but I don't really remember chickens, more hunted things like ducks/geese/pheasants/etc.

Of course at all times roosters are only useful for making more chickens, and once the hens get too old to lay eggs then, welp. :byewhore:

Kopijeger posted:

Ok, I don't have any actual sources of my own, but it's just something that I've always thought to be correct.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia about chickens and castrated cocks ie. capons:

quote:

One of the earliest records of caponisation occurred during the time of the Roman Republic. The Lex Faunia of 162 BC forbade fattening hens to conserve grain rations. To get around this the Romans instead castrated roosters, which resulted in a doubling of size.[2]:305 It was also practiced later throughout medieval times with gastronomic texts describing capons as preferred poultry since the ordinary fowl of the farmyard was regarded as peasant fare and "popular malice crediting monks with a weakness for capons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon

Grand Fromage posted:

:golfclap:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Btw, was there anything that the Romans didn't eat?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

Btw, was there anything that the Romans didn't eat?

Time for some research

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Looking it up, wikipedia mentions "sacred chickens" without specifying sex. I was actually thinking of cockfights.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Typically cultures don't eat pet animals and Romans kept cats and dogs, so I doubt they were eaten in anything other than extreme famine. Otherwise uh. Humans? I can't think of any Roman food taboos. There's only so picky you can be about your food when you're at subsistence. The Roman food infrastructure was good for the time and they had much less food insecurity than a lot of comparable societies but it wasn't anything like a modern developed country. Roman religion didn't impose any food rules I'm aware of.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Several Roman sources, including Pliny the Elder, claim quail are poisonous and should not be eaten, so there's one thing they apparently didn't eat...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's weird, wonder where they came up with that idea.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

That's weird, wonder where they came up with that idea.

maybe from greeks

didn't some philosopher say that spiders had 6 legs or something

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You can still find Capons in bigger grocery stores from time to time. Frozen section usually.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pellisworth posted:

This looks unbelievably dangerous and stupid.

Human history clearly states this is in no way an impediment or restriction on what people will do.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has there ever been a culture anywhere in the world that practiced A Balanced Breakfast?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Back in the dark days before the American Empire, around 1 BT (before trump)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's no distinction between breakfast food and the food you'd eat for other meals for East Asian cultures (I assume all of them- it's true at least of Korea) so I guess so?

I always sort of assumed breakfast as a distinct thing is just a European thing though, does it actually show up in other places?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's entirely a product of marketing and lobbying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

There's no distinction between breakfast food and the food you'd eat for other meals for East Asian cultures (I assume all of them- it's true at least of Korea) so I guess so?

I always sort of assumed breakfast as a distinct thing is just a European thing though, does it actually show up in other places?

Depends what you mean by distinct. The Asian food cultures I have experience with don't have as strong of a distinction--people don't think a fish and spicy noodles are weird for breakfast or whatever--but there are certainly foods that are more commonly consumed as breakfast than at other times. Youtiao and mantou in China, the local versions of congee in Thailand and Vietnam, tamago kake gohan in Japan, etc. Korea's actually the only culture I can think of that doesn't have distinct breakfast foods, though Korean breakfasts certainly do have a theme.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Has there ever been a culture anywhere in the world that practiced A Balanced Breakfast?

The concept of a balanced breakfast is dependent on an understanding of nutrition, which existed in only rudimentary forms until fairly recently.

Agriculture was incredibly labor-intensive. They'd have to consume 3-4,000 Calories a day at least - twice that during parts of the year. People ate whatever they could get, as much as they could lay their hands on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Several Roman sources, including Pliny the Elder, claim quail are poisonous and should not be eaten, so there's one thing they apparently didn't eat...

They wouldn't be saying that if people didn't eat them, though. Like, you don't have several sources saying people shouldn't eat deadly nightshade or whatever.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deteriorata posted:

Agriculture was incredibly labor-intensive. They'd have to consume 3-4,000 Calories a day at least - twice that during parts of the year. People ate whatever they could get, as much as they could lay their hands on.

They also often ate whenever they were hungry rather than at fixed times. Farmers would carry nuts or whatever to snack on while working in the field, stuff like that. Having three meals at set times became a thing with industrialisation, as far as I know.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Taiwan the most popular breakfast is the "American style hamburger" which if you've seen one is anything but. It's a sad patty on a thin bun with a fried egg. Maybe some sauce and some veggies. It makes McDonald's look glamorous.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Hogge Wild posted:

Of course 'relatively modern' is a bit broad term, but iirc it was quite common to eat poultry in medieval era. And I think that the most important function for the cattle in Greece was to pull plows.

One Thing You Did Not Know About Cattle In Days Of Yore: their most important function is that they eat stuff you can't eat and they create poo poo.

Because that is how you get fertilizer for your fields.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

They wouldn't be saying that if people didn't eat them, though. Like, you don't have several sources saying people shouldn't eat deadly nightshade or whatever.

Quails aren't poisonous, though. I'd imagine a lot of people did eat them, while rolling their eyes at this "poisonous quails" bullshit.

Ancient sources are notorious for being hilariously wrong about animals. Often you look at what ancient sources say about, let's say crows, and you would have to conclude those people were seriously demented.

They obviously weren't, but apparently the overlap between people who could write and people who went out to look at what animals were actually doing was zero

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Libluini posted:

Quails aren't poisonous, though. I'd imagine a lot of people did eat them, while rolling their eyes at this "poisonous quails" bullshit.

Ancient sources are notorious for being hilariously wrong about animals. Often you look at what ancient sources say about, let's say crows, and you would have to conclude those people were seriously demented.

They obviously weren't, but apparently the overlap between people who could write and people who went out to look at what animals were actually doing was zero

Varro seemed to have some idea of bovine behavior/training. Cato, not as much ("if your ox is sick, give it this magic mixture; the slave who gives it must be fasting"). Aristotle also either did his own research or relied heavily on those who did their own. Still lots of things wrong, but some surprising things right that you'd only get if somebody went out to look at what animals were actually doing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Aristotle's the weirdest one to me. His descriptions of animals are so polarized between surprisingly factual and outrageously ridiculous that it is hard to imagine his process for coming to those conclusions.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 13, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Look up aristotle's catfish.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cato also believed in cabbage as the cure for a wide variety of ailments.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cato/De_Agricultura/K*.html

quote:

In case of deafness, macerate cabbage with wine, press out the juice, and instil warm water into the ear, and you will soon know that your hearing is improved. An application of cabbage to a malignant scab will cause it to heal without ulcerating

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Jazerus posted:

Aristotle's the weirdest one to me. His descriptions of animals are so polarized between surprisingly factual and outrageously ridiculous that it is hard to imagine his process for coming to those conclusions.

He is reported to have been a very hands-on person so it's doubly confusing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sarmhan posted:

No wonder everything he said could easily be characterized as "long, dry fart."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Random beliefs that something is deadly poison continued for a long time. Into the 19th century there were people who believed raw tomatoes would absolutely kill you, even though other cultures had had no issue eating them.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I guess it's not really something you rush out to try to falsify

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fishmech posted:

Random beliefs that something is deadly poison continued for a long time. Into the 19th century there were people who believed raw tomatoes would absolutely kill you, even though other cultures had had no issue eating them.

Fan death

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Also GMOs and wi-fi. Meanwhile, consuming far more poisonous things such as alcohol continues to be a major pastime the world over. People are dumb.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ras Het posted:

Fan death

"Fan death" is also a euphemism for suicide, the way "a short illness" often is in America.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Cabbages are a big fuckig deal, just ask Diocletian

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

sarmhan posted:

Well if you are deaf because your ear is full of wax his solution might actually work, although not because of the cabbage but because the water loosens the wax making you hear a bit better.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

fishmech posted:

"Fan death" is also a euphemism for suicide, the way "a short illness" often is in America.
I'm assuming a more deliberate form of suicide though cause "short/sudden illness" usually means drug overdose in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

After Alexander died and his empire split up, did the Greeks stick with the longer sarrissa or did they quickly switch back to more of a shield and spear formation?

I've read that the Sarissa was introduced by Phillip of Macedon. Is that the first time stupidly long spears/pikes were used?

While I'm asking about pikes, can someone explain why cavalry was so prestigious in the ancient world? It seems like most of the heavy lifting in most of the battles I read about is handled by the infantry with cavalry usually only mentioned when they get driven off or penned in. With all these hoplites and phalanxes running around with spears ideally suited to driving off horses, cavalry seems especially useless in Greece but even Homer makes special mention of good horses and chariots.