Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I noticed that im not running away with the game on my first cpb game.....and it owns. There is so mich to build its great, your choices actually matter. I actually have to manage my gold because your maintenance costs actually matter and is tied to your resources. The social policies are far more useful and varied. You can't just bribe every city state, it takes tech and units to get on their good side, so that game is deeper. More unique beliefs and i even see a button for vassalization.

Just really cool so far, its a whole new game with each civ seeming so unique. Civ 6 is definitely borrowing a lot from this.

I'm still trying to figure out military though. Its hard to gauge their strength against cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

JVNO posted:

I've stopped supporting it, what with Civ VI on the horizon and its promises to increase mod support. Recompiling, Play testing, diagnosing, and fixing problems was just really time intensive.

There should still be a working link to the last stable non-CBP version in my post history, as well as an improved stable CBP version that another user kept working on after I gave up. I suggest you use his, because I identified some game breaking glitches related to the Inuit Civ in my last mod pack.

Yeah if you check my post history you can find an apirl or may version of the goonpack, I haven't updated it recently because the base CBP multiplayer modpack had gone dead until the last week or two.

I can try compiling a new version with the latest CBP but there's a few issues with desync in multiplayer in the current version so it may not be worth it. plus with the amount of mods I've now got in my current install (110), getting through all the mod loading screens to be able to compile the goonpack takes a long time =P.

If you're only playing singleplayer, download the latest version of the Goonpack, copy all the non CBP mods from into into your mods folder, then go to Vox Populi on civ fanatics and install the latest version of that into your mods folder too. Then you can just enable all of the mdos in your Mods menu in game and play from there.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The tooltip issues are largely a result of CBP adding traits that vanilla just doesn't have. They can't really summarize that stuff in the top portion of the UI, either, because they're trying to retain compatibility with EUI. Personally, I'd rather they just incorporated the EUI changes that are most beneficial and then just not work with EUI, instead of trying support both vanilla and EUI.

(While I'm casting nets for wishes, I wish they'd also take the 'fill a bin on a trigger' bonuses. They're hard to balance and don't feed into the UI so you can easily not account for them when planning.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The reason for this particular change is that if you're a player that has gone to the trouble of seeking out and installing mods for your game, you've probably gone far beyond the point where winning on Prince is any challenge.

Not here, at least. I have many mods, and modded civs, but I can't say I've ever won a game.

quote:

It's not a macho "this mod is only for real players" thing at all.

Difficulty Changes
AI bonuses reduced overall, as AI is much more intelligent in the CP/CBP.
AI no longer receives free techs or settlers (latter only at Deity) at start.
AI can actually suffer from unhappiness on higher difficulties now.
However, AI receives incremental bonuses every era (Gold, science, production, etc.). This, along with tactical AI improvements, helps it keep up with an advanced player without making the early game solely about 'catching up'.
Social Policy and Tech cost per city increased slightly (2-4% more per city, depending on map size).
Difficulties ramped up, removing the below-Prince difficulty levels. Settler is now roughly the equivalent of vanilla Prince, Chieftain - of vanilla King, etc.

Perhaps it's just me, but somehow them getting a free boost just for hitting a new era doesn't jive with the rest of it. I'm not convinced that there isn't a 'this is for REAL players', even if they did not intend for it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bloodly posted:

Not here, at least. I have many mods, and modded civs, but I can't say I've ever won a game.

You've... never won a game of Civ? I know I usually quit once I feel like I'm just going through the motions, but I've had a few close wins I've wanted to see through to the end, and I'm pretty sure I played my first few wins to completion just to see what the win screen was like.

quote:

Perhaps it's just me, but somehow them getting a free boost just for hitting a new era doesn't jive with the rest of it. I'm not convinced that there isn't a 'this is for REAL players', even if they did not intend for it.

In vanilla, high difficulty levels give the AI a massive boost at the start of the game - we're talking four free techs, an extra settler, two warriors, two scouts, two workers... The result is that the human player is at a huge disadvantage in the first few eras, and things like early wonders and warfare are often not worth going for, unless you build your entire strategy around it. However, by the mid-game - assuming things have gone well - the player will often have completely outstripped the AI and the game is no longer difficult. So you get this weird "massive early difficulty, no late difficulty" curve instead of a constantly difficult game.

By instead giving the AI civs smaller boosts at the start of each era, you can keep the AI competitive with a good player, without making the early game a massive slog.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It all makes sense balance-wise

Sure, it's a balance patch, it ought to make sense balance-wise.

But it absolutely doesn't make sense on any other point. When you have things that are just a random collection of bonuses with no logical tie to the concept they are supposed to be attached to, you might as well just remove entirely the real world names like "Burial Tomb" and "Truffle" and instead give them name like "Faith Building Type D" and "Luxury Resource #5".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I also can't really defend against Dr Video Games 0031's criticisms of the building UIs - the vanilla ones are much more friendly.

Nor me, CBP just adds so much clutter. Even if the UI was better, there's still a bit too much... "bonus salad".

Frankly I'd be happy if the summary text just said "More gold" or "More gold per population" or "More gold for trade routes", that kinda thing. Leave the details up top. I'm trying to find where the CBP stores all this XML so I can actually do that.

Also, and I know this is a fault of Civ5 and not CBP (perhaps CBP is unable to fix it), but I find it a bit annoying that I can't easily see from the city screen what buildings I haven't unlocked. Building progression seems more important and complex in CBP so I do find it irritating, it creates a lot of busywork when queuing up buildings for production. I would prefer it if, say, the Library replaced the Council, and the Council stopped being an option after the Library was available.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Once you're adding a shitload of new effects and rules to the game, you're not "balancing" poo poo. This is the same mindset that gave us Caveman to Cosmos.

I trust the NQers more than this nonsense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Once you're adding a shitload of new effects and rules to the game, you're not "balancing" poo poo. This is the same mindset that gave us Caveman to Cosmos.

It's nothing like Caveman to Cosmos.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

It's possible to balance existing things and add new things and they seem to have done a reasonable job of that. Have you even given it a go?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like it. Dunno why everyone is mad about it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jastiger posted:

I like it. Dunno why everyone is mad about it

I just can't bring myself to play vanilla civ5 after CBP. Everything just flows so much better, especially into mid and late game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The things it adds are basically gaps that existed in the base like the lack of early ranged naval units or any sort of ranged mounted unit after the chariot archer

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Sure, it's a balance patch, it ought to make sense balance-wise.

But it absolutely doesn't make sense on any other point. When you have things that are just a random collection of bonuses with no logical tie to the concept they are supposed to be attached to, you might as well just remove entirely the real world names like "Burial Tomb" and "Truffle" and instead give them name like "Faith Building Type D" and "Luxury Resource #5".

The Caravansary gives bonuses to cotton, fur, and truffles, because those are famously trade goods, and to tourism from trade routes because it makes it easier to go visit places. The Burial Tomb replaces the Caravansary partly because it's a famous thing to go see but mostly because CBP works really hard to make sure each building is only replaced once (i.e. there's no "Paper Maker and Royal Library" situation where two Unique Buildings are both Library replacements); the Burial Tomb is effectively "Great Work of Art slot with a free Artifact already in it, +3 faith, get a free Caravansary in the city" and from that perspective everything it does makes sense.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Nor me, CBP just adds so much clutter. Even if the UI was better, there's still a bit too much... "bonus salad".

Frankly I'd be happy if the summary text just said "More gold" or "More gold per population" or "More gold for trade routes", that kinda thing. Leave the details up top. I'm trying to find where the CBP stores all this XML so I can actually do that.

The UI is like that mostly because you're using the EUI version, which is a "let's mention all the bonuses everywhere they might ever matter" sort of thing. The descriptions at the bottom I think are mostly taken from their non-EUI descriptions which of course have to spell everything out.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 13, 2016

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Nova88 posted:

I can try compiling a new version with the latest CBP but there's a few issues with desync in multiplayer in the current version so it may not be worth it. plus with the amount of mods I've now got in my current install (110), getting through all the mod loading screens to be able to compile the goonpack takes a long time =P.

There's an easy way around this! I used to backup the mod cache with each 'stable' build. That way, I was able to continue working on the modpack by just dropping the mod folder from MP_Modpack back into the My Games/Civ V folder, and dropping the cache file in My Games/ Civ V/Cache

So I could keep multiple different mod configurations on hand for various purposes. Especially useful if you have saved games with various scenarios/mod configurations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a question i can't find an answer to: HOw do I get vassals? It has this whole screen for them and pop ups but I have no idea how I get a vassal.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Does anyone know how to fix this bug that's happening on all Leader screens, I've tried verifying game cache, tried all the different quality levels for leader screens, and updated my graphics drivers but nothing has worked.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I think you played to the end of the universe.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Here is a question i can't find an answer to: HOw do I get vassals? It has this whole screen for them and pop ups but I have no idea how I get a vassal.

It's done through diplomacy screen, has quite a high diplomacy modifier though, so you either need to be order of magnitudes larger than them, or include it as part of a peace deal where you wrecked them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I forget, don't AI military units get some free promotions on harder difficulties to make their threat higher? They're less dumb overall in CBP by a little, but I thought that was one of the things done to keep them competitive.

E: I could be thinking of some other mod

EE: haha poo poo. Just updated my CBP from 4.something to 8.something. I guess it was a little behind the curve :derp:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 13, 2016

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Bloodly posted:

CBP gives the AI a fairly small stacking percentile bonus/discount to food/prod/culture/faith/science with each additional era. I think it's roughly in the 0-10% range across difficulties, primarily there because the AI is worse at optimizing/specializing yield growth.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I forget, don't AI military units get some free promotions on harder difficulties to make their threat higher? They're less dumb overall in CBP by a little, but I thought that was one of the things done to keep them competitive.

While the CBP AI is better at war than vanilla, it still gets a bunch of free XP and percentile bonus to XP generated, from 0 base/0% to 30 base/100%.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nova88 posted:

It's done through diplomacy screen, has quite a high diplomacy modifier though, so you either need to be order of magnitudes larger than them, or include it as part of a peace deal where you wrecked them.

Like when I click on their portrait you mean?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SkySteak posted:

I think you played to the end of the universe.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, vassalage is a tradeable 'item' after you hit the medieval era (or a particular tech, I forget). If they sue for peace after a crushing war, they may offer it up as 'capitulation'.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: I could be thinking of some other mod

EE: haha poo poo. Just updated my CBP from 4.something to 8.something. I guess it was a little behind the curve :derp:

The "CBP" people are talking about right now is actually the "Community Patch Project" and has been renamed to to Vox Populi. It hit 1.0 sometime this year. edit: Although the version number I see in-game is v88 so maybe we're both on the same page.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 14, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Nova88 posted:

Does anyone know how to fix this bug that's happening on all Leader screens, I've tried verifying game cache, tried all the different quality levels for leader screens, and updated my graphics drivers but nothing has worked.

That's a mod conflict. Same thing happens to me with the loading screen. Couldn't tell you what mod it is, though, sorry. :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The things it adds are basically gaps that existed in the base like the lack of early ranged naval units

But that's in the game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I gey what you're saying, but isn't the first ranged naval unit from Compass? I dunno if I'd call that early early.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely a weird period where you have triremes but they can't really do anything because the main purpose of melee naval units is to fight other naval units.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Trieremes are for figuring out where to put your next coastal city to funnel food to the first, and then watching over that trade line. :colbert:

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, it's one of the trading items near Open Borders, Defensive Pact etc.

Bogart posted:

That's a mod conflict. Same thing happens to me with the loading screen. Couldn't tell you what mod it is, though, sorry. :v:

Time to trawl through my mod config and disable thing until it works, should only take about 11 hours... =P

Here's my mod list if anyone wants to despair/notice any glaring conflicts:
http://pastebin.com/2Sj0HgrD

Nova69 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 14, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I gey what you're saying, but isn't the first ranged naval unit from Compass? I dunno if I'd call that early early.

The first one is from Sailing. :flame:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nova88 posted:

Yeah, it's one of the trading items near Open Borders, Defensive Pact etc.

Time to trawl through my mod config and disable thing until it works, should only take about 11 hours... =P

Here's my mod list if anyone wants to despair/notice any glaring conflicts:
http://pastebin.com/2Sj0HgrD

Its weird it wasnt there when i played earlier and crushed Siam. Either way, im finding im not running away witb the game like I normally do, which is good. Having a ton of extra units is really great too. Plus the game isnt drowning me in gold so i have to be smarter on my choices. Im digging the cbp

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is there any way to install CBP to the base game instead of as a mod? Whenever I try to load my save, it CTDs after about five seconds of trying to load the custom settings.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The White Dragon posted:

Is there any way to install CBP to the base game instead of as a mod? Whenever I try to load my save, it CTDs after about five seconds of trying to load the custom settings.

Right here

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

You may get problems like this if you have both the multiplayer pack in your assets/DLC directory and the game mods installed at the same time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
May have run into a bug with the CPB. It looks like when you capture a city state you can't liberate it :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jastiger posted:

May have run into a bug with the CPB. It looks like when you capture a city state you can't liberate it :(

I definitely liberated a city state in one of my CPB games. Might be a temperamental thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Was there something special about how it was taken over? I remember in the base game city states peacefully conquered by Venice and Austria might have lost their city-state status at that point.

• Locked thread