Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

The Alien 3 doc on the Blu ray set covers all of your questions.

thank you, you are a good person.

does this documentary have a title perchance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wreckage and Rage: The Making of Alien 3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man the amount of work they put into the rod puppet stuff is depressing.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Every time Newt says break the glass! I always think Ripley is grabbing her to do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

thank you, you are a good person.

does this documentary have a title perchance?

IIRC the CG alien baby running away is slightly improved in the blu-ray version compared to the quadrilogy release. The alien/wall CG itself is the same but they were able to work on the lighting of the shot a little more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

man the amount of work they put into the rod puppet stuff is depressing.

Right? It's too late now, but I wish someone could've found the raw footage for the puppet stuff as well as the plate shots and re-composite it. They look seriously great when not composited in the film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

Right? It's too late now, but I wish someone could've found the raw footage for the puppet stuff as well as the plate shots and re-composite it. They look seriously great when not composited in the film.
I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff exists and it's just an issue of money. Alien 3 probably isn't popular enough to get a return on investment for redoing the compositing. The time to do it would have been for the Anthology/Quadrilogy releases, but that obviously didn't happen.

In a perfect fairy tale world they would get some super fans with video chops to do it for free for them (you know those people exist) but that's obviously never going to happen. There's this clip on YouTube that a fan did based on some unused ideas from the movie; the flames are an interesting look into Golic's world view but the really exciting part (or depressing, really) is that the Alien looks noticeably cleaner in the hospital ward shot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The difference is very concrete: Kyle Reese is a legitimate prophet, flashing back to his actual wartime experiences (however distorted they may be), while Sarah Connor dreams of being vaporized in a nuclear strike - which, of course, never actually happened to her. She's a false prophet.

I'm not so sure. Her vision of nuclear annihilation as the inevitable consequence of the escalating conflict between the US-Soviet military-industrial complexes is pretty legit. There's a reason that Reese's gospel of the free man being invalidated and replaced by a heartless, world destroying machine converts her so quickly - and why she is nuke blasted into a skeleton, first transitioning into a melting, bubbling prop robot. The nuke turns her and the families sheltering in place into rubble and Terminators.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sarah's vision can also be seen as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Reese comes from the future and tells her the gospel. She becomes a true believer but inadvertently contributes to its fulfillment by easing into her (in her mind) predetermined role as set by Reese's story of the future, which falls in line with how she becomes an agent of escalation when going on the offensive at the Dyson residence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

I'm not so sure. Her vision of nuclear annihilation as the inevitable consequence of the escalating conflict between the US-Soviet military-industrial complexes is pretty legit. There's a reason that Reese's gospel of the free man being invalidated and replaced by a heartless, world destroying machine converts her so quickly - and why she is nuke blasted into a skeleton, first transitioning into a melting, bubbling prop robot. The nuke turns her and the families sheltering in place into rubble and Terminators.

The issue is that Sarah prevents that nuclear attack, and yet there is still this killer liquid-metal dude. He must still, inevitably, be created. That's the fate that Sarah makes for herself: Reese's future-war is guaranteed to happen, and she's mainly just learned to stop worrying & love the bomb. No more nightmares, so she can sleep easier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you'd be a lot less annoying if you didn't ignore the text all the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Three posts in a row talking about nothing but themes and characters from the movies yet we're the ones making GBS threads up this thread. Riiiiiiiiight.

Sorry we interrupted your fantasy scenarios on what could've been for your fan-fiction mind movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wasn't talking about you. what the gently caress is that post.

it's funny considering what i was talking bout tho.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 12, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

you'd be a lot less annoying if you didn't ignore the text all the time.

That is the text. Destroying one corporation doesn't destroy Skynet - that's the clear subtext of both T2's endings, and the point explored in every subsequent Terminator sequel.

It's a misreading of the Christ myth: when Arnold died for our sins, it was not to unveil an instantly-peaceful utopia, happy ending. We already live in a world where the Earth wasn't nuked in 1997. 1997 was not the end of war, of exploitation.

Arnold died to bring you the burden of freedom: the burden of creating a new inevitability, because the future is immanent in the present. Skynet exists right now. It cannot be destroyed. You will have to redeem it.

And that is the point of Aliens as well: Ripley has only destroyed one species - one hive of one species. The Earth has not been saved from death.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wasn't talking about you. what the gently caress is that post.

it's funny considering what i was talking bout tho.

All I see is you interrupting the conversation by talking about other goons while hiding behind the facade of some point that exists only in your imagination (while the whole thread applauded no doubt). Quite frankly all the dick riding is really unbecoming.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is this weren't cd i'd assume that was clever agreement with me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want an alien vs predator movie with colonial marines.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

All I see is you interrupting the conversation by talking about other goons while hiding behind the facade of some point that exists only in your imagination (while the whole thread applauded no doubt). Quite frankly all the dick riding is really unbecoming.
I can't believe I'm going to say this but here we go anyway: SMG is right and Groovelord is wrong, T1 and T2's text support what you and SMG are saying just fine, and your guys' reading of the movies makes total sense to me.

Having said that, you making the above post without a shred of irony or self awareness is pretty funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it only works if you bring in the further sequels. 1 and 2 don't support it (and by it i mean smg not ruddiger) which is why i kinda had to laugh at him bringing the further sequels in after his post gets called out. i guess if i ignore the epilogue it works.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 13, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

is this weren't cd i'd assume that was clever agreement with me.

There's no agreement in this thread when it becomes about petty snipes. What was your point before your boring snap at SMG? A forums equivalent of a "let me google that for you" post. And then the "calm and cool goon" follow up responses after interrupting the conversation for being called out on it. I can see why you earnestly post in the nice guys.txt thread. Goons who unironically whine about CD outside of it while contributing a hefty post size to it themselves seems to be par for the course.

Xenomrph posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but here we go anyway: SMG is right and Groovelord is wrong...

WHO loving CARES. Stop making it about your internet friends. You're not agreeing with SMG. You're agreeing with the movie and the ideas it presents. You're no longer agreeing with the credits on the back of the DVD case or the liner notes or the behind the scenes featurettes or the toy commercials or your wishes of fantasy plotlines. You're agreeing with what's presented on the screen, nothing less.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 13, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol you can't be like that and go to post history.

"That's the fate that Sarah makes for herself: Reese's future-war is guaranteed to happen, and she's mainly just learned to stop worrying & love the bomb. No more nightmares, so she can sleep easier."

this is not supported by the movie. i shouldn't have to spell this out. the epilogue does not agree with this at all. then after my post it's now about the sequels (which doesn't matter since y'know we're talking t1-2).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was actually trying to read that thread when I happened to see your name and realized it was the same thread shitter. Just a terrible coincidence, but please let it keep feeding your ego.

E: T2 is by definition a sequel you loving moron. I shouldn't have to spell it out. Since the number's right in the title. It's also why Aliens is not called Alien 2

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 13, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

"That's the fate that Sarah makes for herself: Reese's future-war is guaranteed to happen, and she's mainly just learned to stop worrying & love the bomb. No more nightmares, so she can sleep easier."

this is not supported by the movie. i shouldn't have to spell this out.

Where did the liquid man come from.

In the text, the liquid man comes from 'the unknown future':

"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it ... with a sense of hope."

'It' is specifically the creation of AI and all that subsequent nonsense (liquid men, time travel, etc.). A liquid man must be created, and must be sent back in time. That's fate - and none of the films are about escaping fate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

I want an alien vs predator movie with colonial marines.

This is where Colonial Marines belong.

Also I want a Predator movie where the Predator is the hero and Machiko is in it, but like...doesn't become the weird fetish character she became.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

You're not agreeing with SMG. You're agreeing with the movie and the ideas it presents. You're no longer agreeing with the credits on the back of the DVD case or the liner notes or the behind the scenes featurettes or the toy commercials or your wishes of fantasy plotlines. You're agreeing with what's presented on the screen, nothing less.
Motherfucker I'm defending you, you idiot. :ughh:
It makes it really hard to agree with you and support what you're saying when you go off on nonsense rants about poo poo nobody was actually saying (made doubly funny when you were calling Groovelord out for allegedly going on a nonsense rant about poo poo that nobody was actually saying). I was literally supporting SMG's reading of the film based on the text, and supporting you and he for talking about the movie's themes and ideas. Like I know you might find that concept difficult to parse because you've got a raging hardon for me but holy poo poo, dude, chillax.

And no, I'm not just "agreeing with the movie", I'm acknowledging SMG's reading (of which there can be many) as being valid. I'm not even necessarily agreeing with it, I'm saying "yes, I can see where one can reach that reading, given the text". There's a really important distinction there.

quote:

Goons who unironically whine about CD outside of it while contributing a hefty post size to it themselves seems to be par for the course.
People complain about CineD because it's got a hefty and well-known reputation for being an insular culture full of backbiting and ivory-tower-y circle-jerkery, and the best threads on this subforum are the ones that actually try to engage in open discourse without posters trying to poo poo up the thread or shut each other down for talking about things that don't personally interest them. I've actively tried to encourage this thread to be one of the "good" threads, where people can actually talk about what they want to talk about without getting shouted down for talking about "wrong" topics or whatever, and for the most part I'd like to think I've succeeded.

We certainly don't have to agree on everything all the time, but holy Christ I'd like to think we can disagree and talk about different things without being goddamn shitheads to each other. :kiddo:

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go back to playing the Operation: Aliens board game while hugging my facehugger plushie or something. Maybe an Aliens coloring book will help everyone relax?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 13, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Alien 3 assembly cut had some really wide shots that I wished were in the original. In conclusion, Alien 3 Assembly Cut is a movie of contrast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya'll some salty rear end mother fuckers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Ya'll some salty rear end mother fuckers.

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Well you have 2 options:

1) you can get facehugged.
2) you can sign up to appear in the Aliens Colonial Marines game instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

blackguy32 posted:

2) you can sign up to appear in the Aliens Colonial Marines game instead.

woah now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Terminator can forever have sequels because they can never defeat skynet in their own timeline.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Motherfucker I'm defending you, you idiot. :ughh:
It makes it really hard to agree with you and support what you're saying when you go off on nonsense rants about poo poo nobody was actually saying (made doubly funny when you were calling Groovelord out for allegedly going on a nonsense rant about poo poo that nobody was actually saying). I was literally supporting SMG's reading of the film based on the text, and supporting you and he for talking about the movie's themes and ideas. Like I know you might find that concept difficult to parse because you've got a raging hardon for me but holy poo poo, dude, chillax.

And no, I'm not just "agreeing with the movie", I'm acknowledging SMG's reading (of which there can be many) as being valid. I'm not even necessarily agreeing with it, I'm saying "yes, I can see where one can reach that reading, given the text". There's a really important distinction there.

People complain about CineD because it's got a hefty and well-known reputation for being an insular culture full of backbiting and ivory-tower-y circle-jerkery, and the best threads on this subforum are the ones that actually try to engage in open discourse without posters trying to poo poo up the thread or shut each other down for talking about things that don't personally interest them. I've actively tried to encourage this thread to be one of the "good" threads, where people can actually talk about what they want to talk about without getting shouted down for talking about "wrong" topics or whatever, and for the most part I'd like to think I've succeeded.

We certainly don't have to agree on everything all the time, but holy Christ I'd like to think we can disagree and talk about different things without being goddamn shitheads to each other. :kiddo:

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go back to playing the Operation: Aliens board game while hugging my facehugger plushie or something. Maybe an Aliens coloring book will help everyone relax?

The Alien thread has changed. I have altered the course of things. Nothing will ever be the same again.

There is no going back to the way things were.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried to figure out why the thread was not talking about aliens but I could not figure it out.

Sigourney Weaver is gonna die in Neill Blomkamp’s Alien Sequel.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 14, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Alien thread has changed. I have altered the course of things. Nothing will ever be the same again.

There is no going back to the way things were.

We tolerate anybody.

Even the intolerable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Preorder yours today! https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Colori...ASIN=1785653768

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is not an Alien.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's an Aliens. Get it right, coloring book producers! :argh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

That is not an Alien.

I had that toy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have that toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Xenomrph is instantly identifiable as a fraud, because he posted the Alien colouring book without actually colouring it in.