Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Finding rotors for the FiST sucks too. I ordered a set from rockauto, got it all tore apart and then discovered they were the wrong size. I had to drive 90mins to the closest dealership that had 1 set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Rhyno posted:

Oxbrain this is not the type of hatch we want to see you post about.

https://youtu.be/CfMFtXu3Lz4 :colbert:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Christobevii3 posted:

Can you not turn off the braking lsd stuff? Have people not fitted larger factory brakes on the fiesta st? Guy figured CTS v brakes fit the veloster without much effort

No, you can't turn off the braking LSD stuff. Not without disabling the central control/logic unit for all the stability/traction control/etc features in the car. Not really safe. And there are big brake kits for the Fiesta ST. but they're not much larger than stock and, honestly, who wants to spend 10% of a car's original price on new brakes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I thought of you when I watched that the other day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sigma X posted:

No, you can't turn off the braking LSD stuff. Not without disabling the central control/logic unit for all the stability/traction control/etc features in the car. Not really safe.

How's it not safe? Obviously no electronics to save your rear end, but as long as we're talking about actual track use I don't really see a problem, especially at our power levels. It's not like some of the big number cars where the electronics are basically required to ensure that most of their owners don't die in a fiery wreck the first time they floor it.

On the street of course anyone who intentionally has ABS disabled is a dumbass. The factory modes are perfectly fine for anything reasonable on public roads.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

wolrah posted:

How's it not safe? Obviously no electronics to save your rear end, but as long as we're talking about actual track use I don't really see a problem, especially at our power levels. It's not like some of the big number cars where the electronics are basically required to ensure that most of their owners don't die in a fiery wreck the first time they floor it.

On the street of course anyone who intentionally has ABS disabled is a dumbass. The factory modes are perfectly fine for anything reasonable on public roads.

It disables the ABS and airbag systems, as well. And it's not something you can just flip a switch and turn on and off.

EDIT: This is all coming from Ford Racing, by the way. They had an ABS replacement module for the Fiesta that removed the stability and braking diff function, but even though the parts catalog listed it as being for the ST, the ST has a completely different hookup and it's not compatible. The module listed is actually for the base Fiesta; part of allowed modifications for a Fiesta racing series in the UK.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 13, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That's pretty nuts. I was thinking like it would take off traction control but to do abs meh but airbags. Sounds like some chevy daewoo designed ignition switch.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I can see turning the airbags off as being an issue. Just buy a car that lets you disable the nanny controls 100% like the R and RS :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I can see turning the airbags off as being an issue. Just buy a car that lets you disable the nanny controls 100% like the R and RS :)

Would those even fully disable the brake-assist differential, though? It seems like that gets classified less as a "nanny" and more as a cost-savings way to avoid the cost of a mechanical limited slip.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Would those even fully disable the brake-assist differential, though? It seems like that gets classified less as a "nanny" and more as a cost-savings way to avoid the cost of a mechanical limited slip.

That's actually a good question.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's so people don't bitch about torque steer.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
In a fiesta st? They could setup the kingpin angle balanced with wheel offset and it wouldn't be that big of an issue in a lower power car...

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I test drove a 14 FoST that was on a Hyundai dealership lot the other day. Lots of fun, torque steer wasn't crazy and I bounced it off redline once or twice in an industrial area nearby. I haven't driven a modern fun car in awhile, and what surprised me was how quiet it was. I actually thought I stalled it a few times. It was super fun around corners, once I got a feel for the clutch. If I bought one (I won't be anytime soon), I could see this car really pushing me to learn how to actually drive fast.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Did my first "mod" to my FiST today. Pulled the recaro headrest and slowly worked on bending it to be a few degrees straighter. I've got a pinched nerve in my neck and the seat wasn't agreeing with it.

Otherwise pretty happy with the car so far! My first tank I am averaging about 24 mpg....am I doing this right?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
10700 miles and 15 25-ish minute track sessions on these brakes.

Front rotor

Inside pad

Outside pad

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 14, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You got 15 track sessions (call that 3 or 4 track days) plus 10k miles out of a set of pads and rotors? I can find no fault with the equipment, should have been checked and replaced if needed after each track day.

I've not tracked the Focus, but my old Cobra would use 1/2 or more of a set of pads on a single track day with 4 or 5 sessions. Rotors were replaced every other track day, pads replaced after every track day (with the OEM pads).

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

You got 15 track sessions (call that 3 or 4 track days) plus 10k miles out of a set of pads and rotors? I can find no fault with the equipment, should have been checked and replaced if needed after each track day.

I've not tracked the Focus, but my old Cobra would use 1/2 or more of a set of pads on a single track day with 4 or 5 sessions. Rotors were replaced every other track day, pads replaced after every track day (with the OEM pads).

Actually I didn't say there was fault with the equipment, but, if you want to play the "let's compare" game, I got 24 track sessions and 30K miles out of pads on my Porsche. It's all relative. I mentioned earlier on in the thread about how the rear pads split in half and chunked the forward portions out onto the track during their 9th session@7xxx miles; which is not a failure scenario that's acceptable. After examining the brake rotors, it's obvious that the inside/piston-side of the brakes is wearing more. Significantly more. I'd have to grab my calipers from work to measure it, but needless to say, there is a noticeable lip on the inner surface of the rotors and no surface cracking, and no lip on the outer face but with surface cracking.

The FiST is a light car, with the wear I'm seeing and the performance at the track, I honestly believe that the brakes should be slightly larger front and rear, especially with the brake-actuated diff-imitation function.

I've gone with DTC30s and some Centric blanks, we'll see how they hold up.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fair enough, I misinterpreted the intent of your post. My apologies.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

By comparison, my first track day on the stock pads I had to stop early because my pads were already looking like those. Not as thin, but chunks tearing off the leading edges and completely faded away.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Stock brakes on a budget hatch suck, not up to omgporsche level: news at 11

:v:

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Stock brakes on a budget hatch suck, not up to omgporsche level: news at 11

:v:

I really don't get the outrage that is seen on the various make/model specific forums that cars fresh off the lot aren't really competition ready with factory parts.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can you get porterfield brake pads made? I really like my VTRS4 in a warm climate for street and autocross use on my veloster.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sigma X posted:

It disables the ABS and airbag systems, as well. And it's not something you can just flip a switch and turn on and off.

This post of mine will contain a lot of assumptions. If you pull the ABS fuse, I would think it would disable the brake-diff, ABS, traction control, and anything else that uses the wheel speed as input. I don't think there's any way in hell it would disable the air bags because Ford would get the poo poo sued out of them if you lost a wheel speed sensor and your airbags didn't go off in a crash. Especially after all the ignition switch recall stuff happened.

I'm not on the enthusiast forums for this car but has anybody tried it and it really didn't work?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

If you pull the abs fuse you keep airbags, but flatspot your rear tires when trail braking. There is another fuse burried in the dash that disables tvc without disabling abs, but does disable the airbags.

I'm not complaining that the brakes aren't perfect from the factory, I don't mind needing better pads and fluids. I'm complaining that the tvc is a stupid alternative to a proper lsd and why the gently caress can't I disable it?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

This post of mine will contain a lot of assumptions. If you pull the ABS fuse, I would think it would disable the brake-diff, ABS, traction control, and anything else that uses the wheel speed as input. I don't think there's any way in hell it would disable the air bags because Ford would get the poo poo sued out of them if you lost a wheel speed sensor and your airbags didn't go off in a crash. Especially after all the ignition switch recall stuff happened.

I'm not on the enthusiast forums for this car but has anybody tried it and it really didn't work?

I don't actually know, and the FiST-specific enthusiast forum is pretty awful, like most of the model-specific forums. I do know that the e-lsd/e-diff/tvc/blsd/whateveryoucallit does use sensors other than WSS (speed, pitch, steering wheel angle, etc.), which is why the central control module that takes everything offline is how to disable it.

Oxbrain: Do you have any more info about the fuse that disables the TVC? I wouldn't mind pulling that on trackdays and slapping it back in for the drive home.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Sigma X posted:

Oxbrain: Do you have any more info about the fuse that disables the TVC? I wouldn't mind pulling that on trackdays and slapping it back in for the drive home.

From the forum posts," Yank both SRS module connectors. It's in the center of the car, under the center console. It's a real pain to get at if your car isn't already gutted. Yanking those connectors will disable your airbags and TVC/ESP."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

oxbrain posted:

If you pull the abs fuse you keep airbags, but flatspot your rear tires when trail braking.

I'm trying to understand why this would be, guess if it reads good wheel speed sensor values then the torque vectoring still somewhat works. I would just unplug all of the wheel speed sensors then. :) It sounds like what you're saying is effectively disconnect the BCM which I could see loving up the airbags and such.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 15, 2016

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

I'm trying to understand why this would be. I'd unplug the rear wheel speed sensors too, then.

If you're trail braking, your rear wheels have much less weight on them. They will lock up first. Locked up rear wheels + front wheels still turning = rear tires flatspotted.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

If you're trail braking, your rear wheels have much less weight on them. They will lock up first. Locked up rear wheels + front wheels still turning = rear tires flatspotted.

Oh, I thought that the torque vectoring fuckery was still doing something.

Edit: You can probably tune that out with different pad compounds at the back or a adjustable prop valve. I still find it hard to believe that it's really going to THAT noticeable with the rears locking up.

Is this something you guys have experienced or more forum talk? I'm really not trying to sound like a dick in this post, I'm genuinely curious.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 15, 2016

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

Oh, I thought that the torque vectoring fuckery was still doing something.

Edit: You can probably tune that out with different pad compounds at the back or a adjustable prop valve. I still find it hard to believe that it's really going to THAT noticeable with the rears locking up.

Is this something you guys have experienced or more forum talk? I'm really not trying to sound like a dick in this post, I'm genuinely curious.

The habit is incredibly common in FF hatches. Any time you remove ABS from one, you risk the rears locking up under heavy braking or trail braking. I haven't had it happen in the FiST, but then again I haven't had the ABS module disabled in the FiST. My old Nissan with no ABS did it all the time I got on it hard.

EDIT: Given the FiST's habit of rotation off-throttle in hard cornering (one instructor noted "it's like driving an old 911!"), I fully expect one or both of the rear wheels to lock up if the ABS module is removed.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 15, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Considering plugging/disconnecting the sympozer in my FiST. I am not a fan of the car being this quiet and then just having chewbacca snarls piped in seemingly at random. I'd rather the drat thing just be actually loud :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

Considering plugging/disconnecting the sympozer in my FiST. I am not a fan of the car being this quiet and then just having chewbacca snarls piped in seemingly at random. I'd rather the drat thing just be actually loud :v:

I did this for a while and missed the growling because afterwards it's so quiet you basically can't hear anything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I did this for a while and missed the growling because afterwards it's so quiet you basically can't hear anything.

Yeah, for a sweet kids' car that vroom vrooms this thing is way too quiet. I just dislike the arbitrary nature of the sympozer, it seems to pipe intake and the occasional turbo swish back into the car whenever it feels like it. I know "cold air" intakes are mostly useless for this car, as the turbo gets fed plenty of air by the stock system, but it would be nice to hear some intake and turbo sound from my real fast rollerskate car, so I may end up buying or making something that punches up the intake sound a bit. I had a SRI on my last car that was obnoxiously loud and I loving loved it.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 16, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, for a sweet kids' car that vroom vrooms this thing is way too quiet. I just dislike the arbitrary nature of the sympozer, it seems to pipe intake and the occasional turbo swish back into the car whenever it feels like it. I know "cold air" intakes are mostly useless for this car, as the turbo gets fed plenty of air by the stock system, but it would be nice to hear some intake and turbo sound from my real fast rollerskate car, so I may end up buying or making something that punches up the intake sound a bit. I had a SRI on my last car that was obnoxiously loud and I loving loved it.

Don't get the injen intake. I had one for a while and it didn't make a nice sound. It did make the turbo audible which was cool but it also had a really strange noise that just didn't sound good.

In my opinion there just isn't a way to make the engine on this car sound good which is a shame because they manage to make the engine in the ecoboost mustang sound great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Don't get the injen intake. I had one for a while and it didn't make a nice sound. It did make the turbo audible which was cool but it also had a really strange noise that just didn't sound good.

In my opinion there just isn't a way to make the engine on this car sound good which is a shame because they manage to make the engine in the ecoboost mustang sound great.

Yeah, the intake sounds I have heard on youtube are OK. The one intake that actually works at drawing colder air is the 2JR cowl intake, and its just absurdly loud and the turbo is constantly chattering and shrieking into the cabin. I have seen some guys wrapped the are they are mounted in with sound deading material, that might be the way to go. But the cowl location is worrisome for winter, probably would have to swap back to stock while there is snow.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PaintVagrant posted:

I got a symposer delete kit and have been happy with it. I got used to the "quietness" fairly quickly, but it did just highlight how loud the cabin noise is at highway speed.

GutBomb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gphc0GWEQ5k

They don't have a US Distributor that carries those, but you can contact Martin Martin.Lomas at scorpion-exhausts.com and they will direct-ship you one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Oh I agree there's plenty of ways to make the car sound nice from behind, I was specifically talking about engine noise, not exhaust note.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

Oh I agree there's plenty of ways to make the car sound nice from behind, I was specifically talking about engine noise, not exhaust note.

Oh, the intake noise? No, the intake noise is pretty much all awful.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

FiST torque vectoring chat: on my BMW I can unplug the steering angle sensor to permanently disable traction control while keeping ABS. Can the same be done in the FiST?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does the one that actually draws cooler air even make a difference when the air is travelling through a 900 degree turbo anyway?