Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
lol the babby isn't Chakotays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol S3 episode 1. Crewman Hogan gets munched right at the start, Evil Dead style

One day realigning the proton emitters, the next monster poo poo.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
also one of the cavemen pointed at Kes and distinctly used the word "chingan"

the writers were having fun with this one

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
aaand misc crewman with one word of dialog just got munched

this is fun

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol S3 episode 1. Crewman Hogan gets munched right at the start, Evil Dead style

I tried watching the intro to this episode but MY GOD Voyager is like nails on a chalkboard to me at this point.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
S2E2

Sulu ==awesome

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
all of the chairs on bridge of the Excelsior are on casters

"Helm, hard about!"

**entire bridge crew scoots into the opposite wall**

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The best part is that the crewman who gets turbofucked on that hostile deathplanet that Seska leaves them on becomes a plot-relevant bit of continuity next season.

RIP crewman Walked into A Cave, you proved Intelligent Design happened.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

buttcrackmenace posted:

all of the chairs on bridge of the Excelsior are on casters

"Helm, hard about!"

**entire bridge crew scoots into the opposite wall**

Shouldn't the inertial dampeners take care of that? You'd have to have a dedicated department just for blotting coffee out of the berber.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trials and Tribble at ions is the better anniversary episode because worf has to explain klingon head ridges

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Glad I'm taking notes on each episode as I go so I can compare them.

Some redditor made an "essential" episodes list and he included a lot of poo poo you don't need to watch because it got his dick hard or some such. So on a suggestion in the other Star Trek thread, I'm making my own :spergin: list.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Arcsquad12 posted:

Trials and Tribble at ions is the better anniversary episode because worf has acknowledges but refuses to explain klingon head ridges

The General
Mar 4, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Shouldn't the inertial dampeners take care of that? You'd have to have a dedicated department just for blotting coffee out of the berber.

Inertial dampeners are the first casualty of a firefight.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

DrBouvenstein posted:

One things that's always bothered me in TNG, DS9, and VOY, is people wearing costumes in the Holodeck.

There are several ways this makes sense to me:

a) it's a crafts project that they take pride in (I think this is especialy true of O'Brien and Bashir's WW2 pilot getup)

b) they like being seen in their costumes (contrast with Seven of Nine in VOY, when she definitely does use holo-clothes becaue she doesn't want other people to know she's experimenting with holo-dating)

c) holo-clothes don't feel right and ruin their immersion

d) in the future, cosplay - originally only a Japanese thing, you may remember, and not popular in the West until after c. 2000 CE - is extremely mainstream and as such almost everyone has several sets of costumes for their favorite dress-up activities

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Apollodorus posted:

d) in the future, cosplay - originally only a Japanese thing, you may remember, and not popular in the West until after c. 2000 CE - is extremely mainstream and as such almost everyone has several sets of costumes for their favorite dress-up activities
I think that's the closest to the actual truth. I remember Pulaski being all "LOL I just replicated these dirty loving whore rags this morning. What a quaint use of our limitless power" in the Moriarty episode.

It's like dressing up with a Goku shirt when you go watch Resurrection of F, or punching some guy in the face during an Avengers movie.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if you don't dress up the holo people will know you're from the future and that will violate the holographic prime directive

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

FilthyImp posted:

I think that's the closest to the actual truth. I remember Pulaski being all "LOL I just replicated these dirty loving whore rags this morning. What a quaint use of our limitless power" in the Moriarty episode.

It's like dressing up with a Goku shirt when you go watch Resurrection of F, or punching some guy in the face during an Avengers movie.

Pulaski was pretty awesome like that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

There are several ways this makes sense to me:

a) it's a crafts project that they take pride in (I think this is especialy true of O'Brien and Bashir's WW2 pilot getup)

b) they like being seen in their costumes (contrast with Seven of Nine in VOY, when she definitely does use holo-clothes becaue she doesn't want other people to know she's experimenting with holo-dating)

c) holo-clothes don't feel right and ruin their immersion

Well the truth is that it looks good on camera and helps telegraph a character's actions but I'm going to pretend it's so you don't end up getting jizz stains all over your work clothes.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Holo clothes are a solid force field and when you fart you have to feel it travel up your back to your neck hole so you don't feel sexy and that's the whole point of the holodeck.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Holo clothes are a solid force field and when you fart you have to feel it travel up your back to your neck hole so you don't feel sexy and that's the whole point of the holodeck.

Assless force fields were deleted from the timeline in the Temporal Cold War.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
computer create a force field that can defeat my farts

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
No wonder the Vulcans didn't want us running all over, they'd seen all the 29th century humans meddling in poo poo recently.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Between that and the events of First Contact the Vulcans must have thought we were like the weird time war aliens like the Krenim of the Alpha Quadrant.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Speaking of the Krenim why was Voyager not prepared for them after Kes went backward through time and warned everyone about them, their weapons and how to beat them.

The Krenim shows up and everyone is like "Oh gently caress we can't deal with their weaponry captain!"

Answer: Bad Writing

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VectorSigma posted:

if you don't dress up the holo people will know you're from the future and that will violate the holographic prime directive

Plus for maximum verisimilitude you need to keep wearing the costume when you go back to work.

No time to change back into uniform in the go-go world of the future.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

computer create a force field that can defeat my farts

"Structural integrity of pants at 15%, failure imminent."

naem
May 29, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Well now I'm wondering about their skin tight one piece jumpsuits they wear 24/7, I'm guessing they zip them off after a long day and it's just visible cartoon stink lines radiating outward

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trast posted:

"Structural integrity of pants at 15%, failure imminent."

:science: I'm detecting micro-fractures along the seat of my underwear, damage to secondary layers of pants
:techno: The Leola Root Stew particulate matter is in a state of flux, highly energized and reacting violently with the barrier's leading edge.
:science: Maybe if we re-route power from primary dong restraint
:techno: combine that with an asymmetrical tachyon inversion in the secondary ball sweat reduction matrix

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 14, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Star Trek Season 8:
Data experiments with farts, Worf goes Vegan and fills 10-Forward with noxious gas, Geordie and Troi deal with an unruly computer update to the main processor core.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For what it's worth, Kate Mulgrew's autobiograhy is in the two-for-one sale on Audible:

https://www.audible.com/sp/2for1/re...f_rd_s=center-1

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Star Trek Season 8:
Data experiments with farts, Worf goes Vegan and fills 10-Forward with noxious gas, Geordie and Troi deal with an unruly computer update to the main processor core.

Worf went straight to DS9 I believe. Immersion ruined.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

shovelbum posted:

No wonder the Vulcans didn't want us running all over, they'd seen all the depraved poo poo we got up to once we invented the holodeck

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm really tickled by the idea that calm, reasoned, renaissance-man Picard likes to spend his time on the holodeck giving holo-Troi a Cleveland Steamer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
DS9 has objectively the best pilot and finale. You don't have to think it's the best Star Trek, that's up for debate, but it's definitely the best when it comes to pilot/finale.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

DS9 has objectively the best pilot and finale. You don't have to think it's the best Star Trek, that's up for debate, but it's definitely the best when it comes to pilot/finale.

DS9 Pilot: You are the Space Prophet.
DS9 Finale: I am the Space Prophet.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mister Macys posted:

For what it's worth, Kate Mulgrew's autobiograhy is in the two-for-one sale on Audible:

https://www.audible.com/sp/2for1/re...f_rd_s=center-1

*unconventional Irish Catholics"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Redgrendel2001 posted:

*unconventional Irish Catholics"

*never been 4000 miles of Ireland*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

happyhippy posted:

DS9 Pilot: You are the Space Prophet.
DS9 Finale: I am the Space Prophet.

It should have ended with everyone jumping up and doing a high five where they freeze frame and cut to credits.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"If Sisko is allowed to wear a dashiki, then Janeway gets to kiss the holo-blarney stone, drat it."

It all makes sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm really tickled by the idea that calm, reasoned, renaissance-man Picard likes to spend his time on the holodeck giving holo-Troi a Cleveland Steamer.

He would probably do the cool and collected pensive approach to designing the holoprogram too, like he is in a staff meeting or debating with an ambassador.

"Computer. *clasps hands* Perhaps we should change Troi's expression from one of disinterest to.....one of interest"
"Computer. Lower the ambient temperature by 3 degrees, The viscosity seems a bit off. *hitting padd* Hmmm another degree."