Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Basically any good precedent the rest of the world sets does not have any impact on the US whatsoever. We do things a little differently round here :clint:

*dies from a preventable disease*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7aeWQCF1jM&t=156s

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

The rally kills all your supporters. All your supporters, killed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

poor life choice posted:

The rally kills all your supporters. All your supporters, killed.

He kills off all his racist supporters and then can legit pivot to the center.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

neoliberal posted:

I know there is precedence in other countries for punishing political parties that promote direct voter intimidation. I think that at some point when Democrats regain and the House and the Senate they should consider taking up legislation that directly and punitively punishes parties with candidates that make statements like this that result in major intimidation at the polls with specific handicaps and limitations on their operations for a specific period of time following said elections.

I know in some cases in South America, Southeast Asia, and Africa parties have been banned from running a presidential candidate in the following Presidential Elections for things like this.

This seems like an obviously legitimate first ever post and not some parody to start down the path of "liberals are the true fascists".

SedanChair posted:

Trump's campaign is going to ignore a fire marshal and hold an event that ends up like the train tunnel scene in Atlas Shrugged.

And no editor will have the stones to make a Great White joke in the headline of their story.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My nightmare is that we get credible information that Clinton is real bad, like she eats kittens to gain power before important meetings. But Trump obscures the news with his dumb antics, and we have to about-face and try and get him elected by a sceptical public.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

My nightmare is that we get credible information that Clinton is real bad, like she eats kittens to gain power before important meetings. But Trump obscures the news with his dumb antics, and we have to about-face and try and get him elected by a sceptical public.

I'd still vote for Clinton over Trump if it came out that she ate kittens for power.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PerniciousKnid posted:

If that were true we'd still all be voting for Hillary

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's a weird nightmare.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/764614408886751232

lol?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I'd still vote for Clinton over Trump if it came out that she ate kittens for power.

I'd still vote for Clinton over Trump if she ate live humans for power.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

speng31b posted:

Like how if we had elected a robot that just killed 100 people every day and nothing else in 2000, the world would be a better place and more people would be alive

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

speng31b posted:

poo poo Dick Cheney was VP for two terms. Time for our first undead queen of the damned president!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Epic High Five posted:

Like how if we had elected a robot that just killed 100 people every day and nothing else in 2000, the world would be a better place and more people would be alive

Until the Russians hacked it and suddenly it needed to kill 1000 more people a day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

Greenlight this, Hollywood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was inspired by a discussion about a dozen pages back.

I can see in the debates that Trump trys to present himself as a successful businessman, a self made man, which hopefully Hillary will snap back "What have you succeeded in?" as basically everything he touches turns to failure. This will just make him loose his poo poo because Trump cannot accept anyone questioning his business acumen, even if it doesn't exist.

BTW, that dumb as poo poo thing about the DNC staffer who was murdered was the one to leak the emails has been shared by some friends who are super loving liberial because they hate Hillary so much because they honestly believe in all the bullshit conspiracies and so called scandals. When I responded to them with the message from his family not to use his death for polticial gain, most were "well, I guess maybe Wikileaks may be full of poo poo" but one completely doubled down on on claiming the family had been threatened. I should have severed after they claimed the Wikileaks twitter was actually a psiop and not actually their twitter because of all the bigotry and stuff coming from it.

Anyone who uses the phrase Psiop is automatically full of poo poo.

Oh also, how long do we keep getting BLUELIVESMATTER when the cops start Trapmanning all the Trump supporters that occupy public washrooms in the name of the Real America?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dexo posted:

Until the Russians hacked it and suddenly it needed to kill 1000 more people a day.

Nope, even at 1000 people a day the body count would be smaller

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mister Adequate posted:

Bozeman is also way left comparatively, being a college town. Shitlord white nationalists talking about moving to MT because it's fuckin' white as freshly fallen snow always advise each other "but not Bozeman". Also way back in the day MT sent Jeanette Rankin to Congress as the US's first woman federal representative four goddamn years before the 19th was signed (she helped get it through :v:). The state always gives the EC votes to the R guy but outside of that it is less virulently GOP than first glance would suggest. Also yeah pro-gun as hell but a lot of that is because hunting for the pot is a real thing that might not make the difference between eating and starving anymore, but can make a big difference between getting by okay and being really squeezed on every penny. PS Moose burgers rule.

My fiancee's a Montanan and I have fallen in love with the state, I'll let us get back to our regularly scheduled :stonk: at Trump now.

That actually makes a lot of sense, my grandparents lived in Bozeman and my impression was always that it was nothing but old people and rednecks at MSU, but they also moved away before I started paying attention to politics so my impression is likely quite off. Plus I guess Bozeman has been growing quite a bit, so it makes sense the younger population is pushing things left?

Pikestaff posted:

As a near-native Montanan who's lived here for close to 25 years we have a history of voting blue on a local/state level and red on a presidential level. We've had democrat governors for 12 years now - including Brian Schweitzer, who IIRC had one of the highest approval ratings for any governor in the nation at the time - and we send a lot of democrats to Congress too. As you mentioned the college towns are hippie meccas, I live in Bozeman myself and we pretty much always vote for local measures that improve quality of life. Last week we voted to pour tons and tons of money into our free public bus network because why not, that helps everyone out. Same reason we have super affordable health care here too. Butte is also pretty solidly democrat because no one lives there but the descendants of all the Irish Catholic immigrants who moved here during the copper boom in the late 19th century.

I imagine it's mostly the real old-school ranchers and the die-hard hunters (hunting is a big thing here) that are keeping the state red on a national level but frankly I don't expect that to last, people from California and Washington have been pouring into the state for the last decade and that growth is just speeding up.

Anyways sorry for the derail, I figured I'd throw in my five cents as a local :v:

Yeah, I lived in Missoula for about a decade, but was either too young or apathetic to pay attention to politics beyond assuming that the hippie echo chamber was pretty much just Missoula. That said, I really do love what an eclectic mix the state is, we had tie-dye sporting outdoor liberals who love guns (to fend off mountain lions and whatnot) side by side with loggers, miners, and ranchers, it's a bizarre mix that leads to a blended libertarian/leftist mix, which is why I always think of it as such a purple state. More akin to Colorado than Utah or Idaho really. Case in point, my dad is a hardcore liberal who worked for Planned Parenthood for about 20 years, caucused for Bernie (he's in Colorado now), and partied with the Grateful Dead in the 70s, but is also a life-long member of the NRA.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dexo posted:

I feel like the Russians could hack Trump to do something similar. Most hacking is just social engineering anyhow. People can "hack" Trump by tweeting at him.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 14, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Adequate posted:

Bozeman is also way left comparatively, being a college town. Shitlord white nationalists talking about moving to MT because it's fuckin' white as freshly fallen snow always advise each other "but not Bozeman". Also way back in the day MT sent Jeanette Rankin to Congress as the US's first woman federal representative four goddamn years before the 19th was signed (she helped get it through :v:). The state always gives the EC votes to the R guy but outside of that it is less virulently GOP than first glance would suggest. Also yeah pro-gun as hell but a lot of that is because hunting for the pot is a real thing that might not make the difference between eating and starving anymore, but can make a big difference between getting by okay and being really squeezed on every penny. PS Moose burgers rule.

My fiancee's a Montanan and I have fallen in love with the state, I'll let us get back to our regularly scheduled :stonk: at Trump now.

But the guns are like actual decent hunting rifles and shotguns and not loving AA-12s?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PerniciousKnid posted:

You talk like we haven't already pledged death-commando loyalty to :abuela:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764616186512408577

Seems like a legit strategy to win the Presidency. Especially when said media got you to where you are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bozeman has always been big in Star Trek TNG stuff, I think one of the producers was from there? Anyways it's where the Vulcans land and make friends. I always thought Montana was an odd choice, but I guess Bozeman is like the Austin or Athens of MT.

Also I always thought the state abbreviation for Nebraska was NB, not NE.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Crabtree posted:

But the guns are like actual decent hunting rifles and shotguns and not loving AA-12s?

I don't live in MO but I can tell you there are different types of gun culture there. You have everything from dusty old farts who think only bolt-action rifles, leverguns and double-barrels are the only kind of guns a man should need or be able to own to SovCit separatists who think that the 2nd guarantees their right to own anti-air batteries, Stinger missiles and German 88s. These different gun cultures don't get along with each other BTW.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Next Trump will be running against Crooked Donald Trump.
Or is that already happening?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carlosologist posted:

so do you guys think voter turnout will be at an all time high this election?

No, because the all time highs all happened back when way fewer people were allowed to vote.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So given that Trump always seems to change what he is saying, why is the US media still reporting anything he says without a huge ***MAY NOT BE WHAT HE MEANS*** at the beginning of any article or story?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

twistedmentat posted:

Bozeman has always been big in Star Trek TNG stuff, I think one of the producers was from there? Anyways it's where the Vulcans land and make friends. I always thought Montana was an odd choice, but I guess Bozeman is like the Austin or Athens of MT.

Also I always thought the state abbreviation for Nebraska was NB, not NE.

It helps we have an air force base and a bunch of silos, but nothing else worth noting, so Montana was largely left intact after the Eugenics Wars of 1992-1996, making it a good location for Zefram Cochran to build his ship.
:goonsay:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Booourns posted:

So given that Trump always seems to change what he is saying, why is the US media still reporting anything he says without a huge ***MAY NOT BE WHAT HE MEANS*** at the beginning of any article or story?

Hey, I think you have figured out how Trump has conducted his business dealings for his entire adult life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764621531460886528

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764621610766696448

:allears:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764624268852330496

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764622402886234113

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/764624098903359488

Trump is finally fed up. bout to start spending his own money.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 14, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Was Dowd the one who ignored all warnings and all printed instructions and ate some huge amount of pot brownies, freaked out for like 2 days, then said marijuana was too dangerous to be legal?

in her defense the candy wasn't labeled with dosing information (because you can't really determine what a 'dose' is, like how many doses of liquor are in a bottle?) but she should have asked the clerk

i bought some weed candy last time i was in denver and it said 10mg per piece. not knowing how much that was relatively, i asked the clerk and he said each piece was "about a bowl" which i understood

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

I like how it looks like the dude in the back is trying to climb to freedom.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Booourns posted:

CNN started doing this. In all the "Trump claims Obama founded ISIS" headlines they started adding a "(but he didn't)" disclaimer in the headline itself to avoid confusion.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump says if he loses "I will never ever forgive the people of CT, the people for FL and PA and Ohio, but I love them anyway."

what the hell is that even supposed to mean?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

emdash posted:

Trump says if he loses "I will never ever forgive the people of CT, the people for FL and PA and Ohio, but I love them anyway."

Maybe he'll buy up low-rent apartments all over those states, shoddily renovate them, and try to force out past tenants with long-term neglect over the course of decades. The ultimate revenge.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

emdash posted:

I assume it means thats where he'll open the gulags

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

emdash posted:

Maybe he's trying to make the election seem so in the bag it'll depress democratic turnout? I don't loving know.

Honestly these overtures of accepting defeat are becoming more and more blatant lately. He's probably mentally checked out by now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Crabtree posted:

I'm not Montana enough to really know for sure, my view is limited, but from what I've seen yeah that does seem to be the case. I mean you get crazy collectors like Burt in Tremors I'm sure, but most of what's around is legit stuff that is needed to kill food. Dicking around with stupid fancy bullshit will get you murdered by a moose or a bear or something and nobody will have any sympathy. By the same token the same people who are big into hunting are into conservation as well, Teddy Roosevelt style, as they know they need to be careful stewards or poo poo will just go extinct.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thaddius the Large posted:

It helps we have an air force base and a bunch of silos, but nothing else worth noting, so Montana was largely left intact after the Eugenics Wars of 1992-1996, making it a good location for Zefram Cochran to build his ship.

Further :goonsay: on this topic, central Montana would be loving wiped off the face of the earth with the fury of a thousand suns, and eastern Montana would be covered in fallout, but there's a pretty huge healthy chunk of southerwestern Montana that would almost certainly have avoided both fates if the Cold War had gone hot. Nothing in the area worth hitting directly, nothing much to the west worth hitting hard either. Butte and Bozeman could be two of the biggest cities left in North America, and there's a lot of agriculture in the area that could turn it into a real powerhouse for rebuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Helps that his ship was converted from an ICBM and launched out of its silo. :v:

• Locked thread