Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not good at being clear at things, that's an admittedly bad trait of mine, but it's not like I'm purposefully obtuse. Aside from the Catwoman quip I guess but that was just sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SonicRulez posted:

I still don't understand the thought process behind a Venom movie without a movie where the symbiote is on Spider-Man. What would a stand alone Venom even be, Lethal Protector?

Clearly it would be Venom Space Knight featuring a talking panda as sidekick

It will be a G movie where they go help a planet of other talking animals

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A Venom movie would probably be fine, if they did what no superhero movies do and change the genre to something like a horror movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just rip off Maniac Cop 1 and 2 and there's your Venom movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Henry Caville comes from a military family, almost joined the military himself, and is an extremely strong supporter of the military. All his brothers are in the military and he's repeatedly expresses support for the military and even does base visits. "I want Man of Steel to fail forever because he supports American Imperialism" isn't something someone said.

I will say it, gently caress him and the IDF.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will say it, gently caress him and the IDF.

For the record, I do disprove of Caville and his poo poo too, this is just like, the first time I'm hearing about it and isn't something I get quite as personally worked up about in the same way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think most people would be fine with loving either Henry Cavill or Gal Gadot, regardless of sexuality.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Caville family gatherings must be horrible then, they probably go through a cycle of his family asking him why he isn't a solider like <family member> and then he eventually just goes "yea well I'm superman so shut up"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In other news, looks like Sausage Party just barely edged out SS for number one box office on Friday with a 13.5 million Friday (this is counting its 3.3 million Thursday night) against a 13.25 million Friday for SS. Assuming numbers hold, we're looking at a just barely beating 40 million second weekend for SS, another 70ish percent drop from week one just like BvS, with equivalent critical reception to the latter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man posted:

Caville family gatherings must be horrible then, they probably go through a cycle of his family asking him why he isn't a solider like <family member> and then he eventually just goes "yea well I'm superman so shut up"

I don't know why anyone would try to get on Henry Cavill's bad side because he looks like he could probably snap most people in half like twigs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henry Cavill is British and doesn't have an E in his name.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Toxxupation posted:

In other news, looks like Sausage Party just barely edged out SS for number one box office on Friday with a 13.5 million Friday (this is counting its 3.3 million Thursday night) against a 13.25 million Friday for SS.
drat. Losing out to a badly animated sexualized food comedy.

That's a bitter pill to swallow, friends.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe you should stop posting things that you don't mean so that you don't have to say that's not what you meant all the time.

I think the first five words are really all this post needed.

FilthyImp posted:

That's a bitter pill to swallow, friends.

Well to be fair, that counts Thursday night sales unlike Suicide Squad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yikes, what happens if SS does like 400 million? They were saying they needed do to something like 700 million to break even, but if its a critical and box office flop, that says something big that wasn't exactly said about BvS. That at least made 800+ million.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, now I'm convinced Suicide Squad has some amazing original songs. Why do I hear about a Panic in the Disco cover of a Queen song or Sympathy for the Devil when they had such good tracks just for the film on their hands?

(Not that Queen, Panic at the Disco, and the song Sympathy for the Devil are bad, but yeesh, that's a terrible pair+cliche)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FilthyImp posted:

Don't mention Foodfight, I'm eating dinner.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

Yikes, what happens if SS does like 400 million?

It's already made 380 million. Collapsing at 400 million is a near-impossibility. The lowest it'll do is, like, 500 million, and it'll probably settle somewhere between 530-550 million, 600 million at the most. The problem isn't how much it makes, since that's already more or less a foregone conclusion after its first weekend, it's how much it needs to gross to be profitable. And that's where the problem is, common consensus seems to be 550-600 million to be profitable, although there was that one rumor that SS needs a 750-800 million gross to break even. And if the latter's the case, then SS is totally and completely hosed.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There's no way it cost that much, you would need some kind of insane months-long marketing spree to rack up those types of expenses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yikes, what happens if SS does like 400 million? They were saying they needed do to something like 700 million to break even, but if its a critical and box office flop, that says something big that wasn't exactly said about BvS. That at least made 800+ million.

It's already $400m so it will do better than that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

It's already made 380 million. Collapsing at 400 million is a near-impossibility. The lowest it'll do is, like, 500 million, and it'll probably settle somewhere between 530-550 million, 600 million at the most. The problem isn't how much it makes, since that's already more or less a foregone conclusion after its first weekend, it's how much it needs to gross to be profitable. And that's where the problem is, common consensus seems to be 550-600 million to be profitable, although there was that one rumor that SS needs a 750-800 million gross to break even. And if the latter's the case, then SS is totally and completely hosed.

Oops, I totally read 380 as 280 when i looked at BOM earlier. But yea, it could hit around 500 and then stall. They can't claim that the movie was more for fans than critics, because either no, they're not, or fans are not enough to prop up a major movie franchise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Some fans are super defensive, though. My friend got attacked by people accusing him of being anti-Jared Leto. The Jared Leto fandom, calling people "antis" and poo poo. They had Joker avatars. It was surreal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

A movie about Batman and Superman teaming up should have made 3 billion. If SS underperforms they can at least say no one gives a poo poo about the property.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WickedHate posted:

Some fans are super defensive, though. My friend got attacked by people accusing him of being anti-Jared Leto. The Jared Leto fandom, calling people "antis" and poo poo. They had Joker avatars. It was surreal.

"Attacked"?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes, on the internet, through online posts. They did not come out of a bus wielding baseball bats wearing shirts that said "Jared Leto fan". Sorry for any confusion, my intention was not to mislead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Yes, on the internet, through online posts. They did not come out of a bus wielding baseball bats wearing shirts that said "Jared Leto fan". Sorry for any confusion, my intention was not to mislead.

Let's be fair, "Jared Leto Fan" would be written on their foreheads, not their T-shirts.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Who isn't anti-Jared Leto? He's the Israel of people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

He's given interviews where he said that is basically what happens. His brothers joke that he's soft and has never worked a day in his life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should get the next Joker to be played by Jay Leno

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yes, on the internet, through online posts.
oh no

hiddenriverninja posted:

Show us the Earth certificate!
This was a good post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I wasn't acting like they were traumatized yeesh have none of you seriously never heard "attacked" used in a mild sense?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there some kind of anti-Jared Leto coalition? I'll buy the wristband or learn the secret handshake or whatever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Light Gun Man posted:

They will have something in common, both getting shot at by the US military!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just watched Jurassic World and hot poo poo that movie sucked bad

It mostly just made me wish I were watching Chris Pratt in GotG 2 instead of this bad bad dinosaur movie

Hell, it made me wish I were watching Bryce Dallas Howard in Spiderman 3 again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GOTG 2 is done filming.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
This thread makes it seem weird or wrong to want bad movies to fail. Before I wasted my money seeing BvS or SS I wanted them to be GOOD, after I saw that they were bad I wanted them to FAIL. It's criminal that SS is going to make more money than GotG a movie it is clearly trying desperately to emulate badly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How exactly did it try and emulate GoTG?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's a movie about a bunch of losers banding together without any real plot. Also neither is very good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rocksicles posted:

How exactly did it try and emulate GoTG?

Just the pop music really.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are priceless.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I was being serious.

• Locked thread