Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter 22, here's the page though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-026--Red-Dragon-IV?id=300783

i love so much that they didn't skip past the aftermath. nope, gotta show the butchering and corpse retrieval in detail.

Oh no!! That's horrible. Here I was completely expecting them to cut open the stomach and out pops Farlyn, slightly wet, but still okay. I kept reading page after page, expecting this!! Aw man. :smith:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-026--Red-Dragon-IV?id=300783

i love so much that they didn't skip past the aftermath. nope, gotta show the butchering and corpse retrieval in detail.

Faryln :(

On one hand, part of me was thinking like DrSunshine in that she'd pop out a-okay, but just a little bit under the weather. On the other hand, this is pretty much the expected outcome of being eaten by a dragon and digested for weeks. I appreciate that the author had the guts to follow through on that conclusion, and I don't think she'll be revived either with the specific rules that apply.

I'd be down with a bittersweet ending. Heck, I might even prefer one! But I'd also be fine with Farlyn reviving too. :unsmith:

Isn't this the last volume of the series? I thought I read somewhere that it was ending soon, but I'm not sure.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It was speculated this was around where the series would end, but enough rubs have been introduced between that guestimate and now that I think it's fair to say it's more like we're halfway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all this sad stuff is really dragging down the inevitable dragon cuisine.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Technically, most of her body hasn't been lost, it's just become dragon meat.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is that cannibalism?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Avulsion posted:

Technically, most of her body hasn't been lost, it's just become dragon meat.

...that's it! Revive Faryln into the dragon's body!

SUMMON SISTER DRACOPRIEST

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Turns out the dragon was pregnant, it lays an egg, out pops Farlyn as a half-dragonborn.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, like 10 chapters in, it was pretty clear that the whole greater goal of "Find Farlyn" was a pipe dream and the team was delusional / in denial about her death, and i honestly never expected them to find any remains of her at all. Most creatures don't take roughly 2 weeks to digest something a 10th of their size, and definitely no creatures as active and huge as a dragon.

I acutally figured they wouldn't even find the dragon, and that it was the perpetual "carrot on a stick" goal to make a frame work for the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it might have worked if the dragon had been sleeping all that time.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I thought the idea was dragons slept most of the time so stuff gets digested slower

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

I'd be down with a bittersweet ending. Heck, I might even prefer one! But I'd also be fine with Farlyn reviving too. :unsmith:

I...think that would just be a "bitter" ending. A story where people set out to rescue their friend only to find their friend digested and dead is just a sad ending all around with no real up-sides.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The page only says that the "chances of a successful resurrection drop drastically". First of all, it's still just a chance and they could always get lucky. Second of all, "successful resurrection" isn't clearly defined. Maybe it's still possible to resurrect these people, but they lose something in the process, like being crippled for example. Farlyn being stuck in a wheelchair is still better than her staying dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

The page only says that the "chances of a successful resurrection drop drastically". First of all, it's still just a chance and they could always get lucky. Second of all, "successful resurrection" isn't clearly defined. Maybe it's still possible to resurrect these people, but they lose something in the process, like being crippled for example. Farlyn being stuck in a wheelchair is still better than her staying dead.

I would guess it means "isn't resurrected at all" or "is resurrcted without the missing body parts (depending upon whether the missing body parts are necessary for life)", because it sort of stands to reason if someone ended up in a wheelchair or something that you could then just finishing healing them afterwards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem is that there is no flesh to resurrect. they may find a way around that, but otherwise i don't think a skeleton is enough.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
They resurrect Farlyn into a dead monsters body and then Larius spends the rest of the series resisting the urge to kill and eat her while Senshi keeps trying to and they "Oh Senshi! You silly!" as they catch him sneaking up on her with his knife and frying pan.

Meanwhile Chilchack and marcille are just like wtf are you guys serious the entire time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They just need to level up Marcille so she can cast "Wish". Things will be all right.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xun posted:

Yeah I thought the idea was dragons slept most of the time so stuff gets digested slower

They dragon's not being asleep is an odd point. I'm of the mind that the skeleton isn't Farlyn's but probably one of a female orc (since males have horns on their heads). Doesn't explain why the staff found its way inside the dragon though. But since we never see Farlyn get eaten I'm still holding out that she's just deeper in the dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were basing their predictions of dragon behavior on their natural habits. nothing that happens in the dungeon is natural.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There have been enough unexpected things crop up along the way that there might be more to it, having to go deeper to get some stronger magic to resurrect Farlyn and finding out what's going on with the dungeon at the same time would keep the story going pretty well.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want to see dragon steak, dragon stew, fried dragon cutlet, dragon medicine...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

They dragon's not being asleep is an odd point. I'm of the mind that the skeleton isn't Farlyn's but probably one of a female orc (since males have horns on their heads). Doesn't explain why the staff found its way inside the dragon though. But since we never see Farlyn get eaten I'm still holding out that she's just deeper in the dungeon.

They saw Farlyn get eaten though, didn't they? And the dragon was also identified. I didn't feel like there was any room for ambiguity; if that's not her skull then that just means that there's even less of her body left.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

They saw Farlyn get eaten though, didn't they? And the dragon was also identified. I didn't feel like there was any room for ambiguity; if that's not her skull then that just means that there's even less of her body left.

They never see her get swallowed. She's in it's mouth until she casts the teleportation spell and after that nobody knows.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Everything Burrito posted:

Chapter 22, here's the page though

Did this setting have some sort of last rites to put spirits to rest? If they can't figure out how to resurrect Farlyn, they might have to opt for possession so she isn't trapped in the Dungeon as a vengeful spirit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they established that ghosts only hang around when something is holding them. if they take farlyn's bones out of the soul trapping labyrinth that would probably suffice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

So the possession bit is probably just trivia and not foreshadowing, then

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

the problem is that there is no flesh to resurrect. they may find a way around that, but otherwise i don't think a skeleton is enough.

In chapter 22 there was a body that was so badly burnt they were waiting for a really good mage to resurrect it, so just bones might be almost impossible.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 27 of Dungeon Meshi is out. Chock full of skeleton related info.

All wizards know forbidden magics, they will just rarely tell you about them. I hope Farlyn is ok with all this, both if the Resurrection spell worked correctly and if she wants to be brought back. Her soul was accepting of her death in Liaus's dream.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 13, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Huzzah! :unsmith:

Part of me was waiting for the twist of "PSYCH! It turns out the skeleton's not actually Farlyn's at all, it's a random dragon victim and she's deeper into the dungeon", but I'm glad I was wrong.

Now eat the dragon :unsmigghh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 27 of Dungeon Meshi is out. Chock full of skeleton related info.

All wizards know forbidden magics, they will just rarely tell you about them. I hope Farlyn is ok with all this, both if the Resurrection spell worked correctly and if she wants to be brought back. Her soul was accepting of her death in Liaus's dream.

Having read Fullmetal Alchemist I was all prepared for human transmogrification alchemy to backfire and do something utterly, utterly horrifying. PHEW! What a relief that seems to have gone alright and not summoned Cthulhu or something. :unsmith: But something seems a little off about Farlyn, I hope everything will be okay. :ohdear:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Having read Fullmetal Alchemist I was all prepared for human transmogrification alchemy to backfire and do something utterly, utterly horrifying. PHEW! What a relief that seems to have gone alright and not summoned Cthulhu or something. :unsmith: But something seems a little off about Farlyn, I hope everything will be okay. :ohdear:

Just a few negative levels to work off, I guess. Or she's a ghoul or something now. Let's hope for the first one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yay, a happy ending(?). all it took was a little hard work and a lot of forbidden dark arts which pervert life itself.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Really satisfying. The ritual didn't feel like a copout because of the detail, how it was only possible through their earlier efforts and still had risk of failure

The hair going banshee during casting was a nice touch too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DrSunshine posted:

In the close-up on page 17, Farlyn is clutching her neck and has her left eye closed. Remember how they killed the dragon?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tarezax posted:

In the close-up on page 17, Farlyn is clutching her neck and has her left eye closed. Remember how they killed the dragon?

:vince: OH poo poo! I totally didn't pick up on that. Holy crap oh my god.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, even before anybody point that out, I had a feeling there'd be unintented consequences.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think even chilchak and senshi are aware of that much. they were horrified by everything that happened in this chapter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

There usually is for this sort of thing, but the ritual may have been forbidden based on the enormous sacrifice required or how easily it could be abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
She recognized her brother and Chilchak without prompting, so hopefully there's enough of Farlyn left in there that she won't start trying to eat people.