Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a music video that was heavy on maps and diagrams, and not done for comedic effect, so they still have no excuse for putting Manchester in Yorkshire.
They're Norwegian, so I'll forgive 'Edinburg'.

e: New page, so might as well post it in all of its old internetty glory while I find a politically loaded map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xhdy9zBEws

e2:

An around the world training cruise by the new peaceful self-defense oriented Japanese Navy, where they visited important ports, veterans from the second world war, and not China or Korea at all. (And apparently went overland in Africa for a bit :confused:)

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Guavanaut posted:

An around the world training cruise by the new peaceful self-defense oriented Japanese Navy, where they visited important ports, veterans from the second world war, and not China or Korea at all. (And apparently went overland in Africa for a bit :confused:)
Looking at that, I would assume the black was offset a bit to the left from where it should be in printing.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guavanaut posted:

It was a music video that was heavy on maps and diagrams, and not done for comedic effect, so they still have no excuse for putting Manchester in Yorkshire.

e: New page, so might as well post it in all of its old internetty glory while I find a politically loaded map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xhdy9zBEws

e2:

They put Kiel on the wrong seashore, and this is probably not even the most egregious mistake

No wonder they're strictly for self-defence when they're apparently looking for Dakar somewhere in the ocean, they simply wouldn't find their enemies

e:

frankenfreak posted:

Looking at that, I would assume the black was offset a bit to the left from where it should be in printing.

That makes way more sense and I retract my previous diss on the glorious JSDF

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

System Metternich posted:

That makes way more sense and I retract my previous diss on the glorious JSDF
Yeah, it's actually just typical shoddy Japanese craftsmanship.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You think the band made the video themselves? Googling suggests the video was made by Paris-based animation studio H5. They made other errors as well, such as "comuter transport".

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Kopijeger posted:

You think the band made the video themselves? Googling suggests the video was made by Paris-based animation studio H5. They made other errors as well, such as "comuter transport".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kopijeger posted:

You think the band made the video themselves?
I assumed they went with someone in the same country as them, or at least within Scandinavia.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

I hadn't read the posts about how it's from a clip or something so don't you hmm me

HMMMMMMMMMM.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

'Fine, but we keep the name!'

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think a similar map has been posted here before, but here you go:

Bigfoot sightings

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Border control ruined the northern range of their natural habitat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is that total or per capita?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bongo Bill posted:

Is that total or per capita?
Probably total, which is why Texas and Florida manage to be purple.

Oddly enough, New York is undercolored for its population.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think a similar map has been posted here before, but here you go:

Bigfoot sightings

Hmm...it's strikingly similar to this map of the distribution of black bears. Weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bodhidharma posted:

Hmm...it's strikingly similar to this map of the distribution of black bears. Weird.

Yeah, except it's not similar at all?¨

Why is Ohio so sasquatch-crazy?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bodhidharma posted:

except for all of Canada, the Rockies, Texas, and all of New England :yeah:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Bodhidharma posted:

lol, are you high?

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, except it's not similar at all?¨

Why is Ohio so sasquatch-crazy?

Seems that it goes to back to a prominent "sighting" in the 70s. I think that's decisive for many of those sasquatch/bigfoot/grassman/whatever areas: you've got one or several cases that get lots of attention, and from then on the entire thing takes off in that specific area with lots of people being convinced that they saw something too, whereas when you've got your local hobo saying that bigfoot stole his wine bottle noone will be inclined to put too much trust in that

e: poo poo, apparently there are frogmen in Ohio too?

And finally this one's more than just cryptozoology:

e2: the North Dakota-Kansas corridor is apparently so boring that not even monsters or aliens go there

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 12, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Makes sense. But I'm shocked there are no significant bigdfoot reports in the New York / New Jersey area despite the conclusive evidence presented by the X-Files.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I actually did see that guy in Newark NJ in the 90s.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

Makes sense. But I'm shocked there are no significant bigdfoot reports in the New York / New Jersey area despite the conclusive evidence presented by the X-Files.

They get reported as the Jersey Devil, duh.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Oddly enough, New York is undercolored for its population.

But is it undercolored for its non-NYC population?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It's very fitting that Florida's cryptid is just a Big Foot that smells bad.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Makes sense, there are turtlemen in Kentucky.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
When I saw the outline of the Popelick monster I thought it was some Lovecraftian squidman. Turns out it's just your garden variety Bestigor.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I love the lovely knockoff Nessies: Bessie, Tessie, Chessie and Kipsy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a minor-league baseball team named after Champ, the Nessie of Lake Champlain, called the Vermont Lake Monsters. Champ is their mascot!

quote:

CHAMP'S BIO
BIRTHDAY: August 6
HEIGHT: Varies
WEIGHT: Unknown (he won't tell)
BIRTHPLACE: The Depths of Lake Champlain
NUMBER: #0
POSITION: Team Mascot
THROWS: Right
BATS: Right
FAVORITE FOOD: Hot Dogs at Centennial Field
FAVORITE MOVIE: The Little Mermaid
FAVORITE BOOK: Moby Dick
BEST FRIENDS: The fans at Centennial Field
HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Swimming in the lake, riding my four wheeler at games, dancing on dugouts, playing jokes on the Opposing Team

They're no Montgomery Biscuits, but it's pretty amusing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

There probably were several Finnish warlords who considered a certain area of damp forest his "realm" some time since the last Ice Age ended and Finland was inhabited. There just isn't any records of it. Neither that guy's domain nor the early Frankish realm are countries in anything approaching the modern meaning of the word.

Just how long do Finns live? We've got antediluvian Finnish warlords running around???

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
He lives here:

Doesn't get out much these days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

e2: the North Dakota-Kansas corridor is apparently so boring that not even monsters or aliens go there
Kansas-Nebraska is the most terrifying, it's their miles and miles of featureless corn.

ND has ghosts barn, the leading competitor to Maine's spoky litehouse.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Those aren't ghosts it's sweat.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

lol, are you high?

Seems that it goes to back to a prominent "sighting" in the 70s. I think that's decisive for many of those sasquatch/bigfoot/grassman/whatever areas: you've got one or several cases that get lots of attention, and from then on the entire thing takes off in that specific area with lots of people being convinced that they saw something too, whereas when you've got your local hobo saying that bigfoot stole his wine bottle noone will be inclined to put too much trust in that

No hodag on either of those maps? For shame

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

I'm wondering why they mention a Native American monsters for Mass and not the Gloucester sea serpent or the Dover demon.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is Czechoslovakia the joke?

VVV Thanks, I thought I was missing something even worse

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 14, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

Yes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

Considering this map was made well past 1993 and isn't meant to be historic...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

Considering this map was made well past 1993 and isn't meant to be historic...

Shh, don't tell him! This is some Goodbye Lenin thing where he was to keep believing Czechoslovakia still exists.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Also the fact that they didn't color Sebastopol in despite that being part of the conflict, simply because it's outside of the Crimean AR.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Heihe–Tengchong Line, an imaginary line that divides China into two (more or less) equal area parts. The Western side has ~57% of the area, but 6% of the population. The Eastern side has 43% of the area but 94% of the population. The population ratio has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s.

Here is a similar map of the US, but dividing based on population:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 15, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

The Heihe–Tengchong Line, an imaginary line that divides China into two (more or less) equal area parts. The Western side has ~57% of the area, but 6% of the population. The Eastern side has 43% of the area but 94% of the population. The population ratio has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s.

Here is a similar map of the US, but dividing based on population:

Shifting point of the center of population in the US over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shifting point of the center of population in the US over time

Cool. If continue that direction and progression, the center will be Tijuana in 2350.