Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That movie looks potentially interesting. Anyone seen it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mysticblade posted:

That movie looks potentially interesting. Anyone seen it yet?

I didn't realize it was out yet. I'll have to go and see it some time this week and report back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I dont want to see a movie that trivializes cronulla into a hot tub time machine comedy :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

I dont want to see a movie that trivializes cronulla into a hot tub time machine comedy :shrug:

yeah. barring the usual australian movie cringing, there's this.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I saw it at the Sydney Film Festival. There is a bit of cringey stuff, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the reviews have been savaging it for. There is some nuance and it definitely takes what happened that day seriously. The ending was definitely unexpected. I went mainly because Abe Forsythe directed it and he made Ned which is still one of the few Australian comedies from that period that was actually funny (gently caress Boytown)

The opening is just actual footage from That Day accompanied by Christmas songs and it was absolutely depressing.

Not the best movie I've seen all year, but if you can get cheap tickets its worth supporting.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Shunkymonky posted:

he made Ned which is still one of the few Australian comedies from that period that was actually funny

I remember this as being super poo poo, even for an Australian comedy movie.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shunkymonky posted:

Ned which is still one of the few Australian comedies from that period that was actually funny (gently caress Boytown)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I stumbled upon David Oldfield's twitter and it is literally insane rambling about making muslims glow green from nukes.

Was curious what happened to the chucklefuck after watching the SBS doco and his wiki article says he still has a night time radio show?

Anyway I found his abandoned blog from 2013, enjoy.

https://davideoldfield.wordpress.com/

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Bad Eggs was well made, but I never really think of it as a comedy? I think Boytown just pissed me off more because I listened to Get This religiously to get through work and was hearing all the hype. And then all that behind the scenes doco fight that split Tony and Mick.

And yes I will accept that alot of people probably disagree with me on Ned, though I have Shaun Micallef backing me up. And it's been a while since you can only see it buy buying it off eBay for $70. But I am a child and enjoy low budget silly poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0kwouv6oU

And the opening scenes were all filmed at Wonderland whilst it was still open!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Abe Forsythe also made Computer Boy, which will always hold a special place in thirteen year old me's heart.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
The funniest part of the ABC guy detained by the cops is when the cop makes mention of the fact his eyes aren't dilating when he looks into the sun. Light makes your pupils constrict and darkness makes them dilate. What a dumb oval office.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

fuckpot posted:

The funniest part of the ABC guy detained by the cops is when the cop makes mention of the fact his eyes aren't dilating when he looks into the sun. Light makes your pupils constrict and darkness makes them dilate. What a dumb oval office.

Dilate means change size

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Dilate means change size

No it doesn't

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

The Peccadillo posted:

Dilate means change size

good enough for the Queensland police service

Real talk: no it doesn't, dilate means to become larger etc.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Peccadillo posted:

Dilate means change size

I guess you are technically correct to a point, since it means to get wider/bigger...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

spamman posted:

Abe Forsythe also made Computer Boy, which will always hold a special place in thirteen year old me's heart.

Oh man, that lovely movie was so good

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Seeing as we have become AusPol IMBD the katering show 2nd season is now up on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCCGc8JKl5EvE8IjZ_qprNcQ

Also Suicide Squad or Fury Road?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Suicide Squad is garbage, Fury Road is amazing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Endman posted:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Endman posted:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Endman posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cartoon posted:

How is this even a loving question?

I'm seriously asking, this can't be a case of base 'which movie is better' because we're talking about Fury Road versus Suicide Squad. We have to be talking about some other factor.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm just trying to make up my mind which one to see.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends. Fury Road gets you hyped up to kill all men at the end of the movie. Suicide Squad makes you want to kill moviemakers.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I swear you've already subjected us to an unfavorable review of Fury Road, if this is just a long set up to it being "forgettable" you can take that poo poo elsewhere thanks.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Fury Road is great provided all you want out of a movie is explosions.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lizard Combatant posted:

I swear you've already subjected us to an unfavorable review of Fury Road, if this is just a long set up to it being "forgettable" you can take that poo poo elsewhere thanks.
Isn't this the thread for pathetic low effort trolling? My bad I guess.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Wheezle posted:

Fury Road is great

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Unnamed 3rd option. Fury road is not as good as people tell you and theres a giant 40min snooze fest in the middle of it

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Turns out Labor cares a little bit about the Nauru files, and they're pushing for a senate inquiry alongside the Greens. Presumably they've figured out that some people do care that we're breaking all kinds of international law and want to be seen to be on the right side of history. They need 4 more senators on board though, I have only a vague idea of what the peanut gallery's views on offshore processing are but I guess Nick Xenophon's mob would go along with it, but that still leaves one more person to push for it.

Although given that even a royal commission's findings aren't binding, I very much doubt anything would be done about a senate committee's findings, if they even manage to get it off the ground.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ten Becquerels posted:

Turns out Labor cares a little bit about the Nauru files, and they're pushing for a senate inquiry alongside the Greens. Presumably they've figured out that some people do care that we're breaking all kinds of international law and want to be seen to be on the right side of history. They need 4 more senators on board though, I have only a vague idea of what the peanut gallery's views on offshore processing are but I guess Nick Xenophon's mob would go along with it, but that still leaves one more person to push for it.

Although given that even a royal commission's findings aren't binding, I very much doubt anything would be done about a senate committee's findings, if they even manage to get it off the ground.

Can we count on the JUSTICE PARTY for this one? I feel like if they really want to spread their wings this is a good one for them to get on board with.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Actually I just saw Fury Road for the first time last week and it is just as good as people said. It's great. Kill all men.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Turnbull government’s knee-jerk reaction to the thoroughly misleading ABC special on the treatment of ­inmates at the NT’s Don Dale Youth ­Detention Centre marks yet another failed ­response to the real issue hiding in plain sight.

Like the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse, the latest show promises to feed those most in need of public reassurance of their own innate sense of morality and do little for those most at risk.

Had Labor Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s government not been so obsessed with the Roman Catholic Church it would have acknowledged that the overwhelming majority of cases of child sex abuse take place within the home, and that among those cases, there was a significant over-representation of children from broken homes, or de facto ­relationships, and yes, sad but true, of children identified as indigenous.

The terms of reference restricted Justice Peter McClellan to examine child sexual abuse in institutional context; ring-fencing the real problem from much-needed scrutiny.

So, too, do the Letters Patent for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s commission into “the Child Protection and Youth Detention Systems of the Government of the Northern Territory”, ignore the bigger, almost existential, problem facing the young indigenous people who make up a staggering 97 per cent of the children in detention in the Northern Territory.

Turnbull’s Rudd-like bull-at-the-gate approach to government meant that his first Royal Commissioner, the former NT Chief Justice Brian Martin, had been replaced within a week of his appointment, by the familiar and ­almost permanently outraged indigenous figure Mick Gooda and former Queensland Supreme Court judge Margaret White, who should bring to the commission the judicial experience Gooda lacks.

Before bailing out, Martin said he would look at “questions about the culture in the system” adding that “whether racism does or doesn’t play a role will be a part of the ­inquiry.” He jumped ship saying he did not have the “full confidence” of sections of the indigenous community and was not prepared to compromise the inquiry.

Therein lies the problem.

Questioning the culture of the system is like looking at the paint job on a crashed car without asking whether the lack of brakes may have been the cause of the smash.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

The so-called Abu Ghraib hood was being worn by the ­recidivist inmate Dylan Voller because of his unpleasant habit of spitting at law officers.

There’s little doubt that the other tough measures — hosing down and tear gas, as disagreeable as they may seem to middle-class ABC viewers — were also used for good reason most of the time.

The commission will spend a lot of money establishing what two previous inquiries have already established.

It will not, however, probe the dysfunctional habits of the community from which the young inmates have come.

Exploring the crisis in those families which identify as indigenous is unpopular because it will expose the myth that the life of Aboriginal Australians prior to the arrival of Europeans was idyllic.

It might disturb vegans to learn that the early Australians were carnivorous, it might disturb feminists to learn that they were, for the most part, fiercely patriarchal, and it might disturb pacifists to learn that they were often at war with each other.

Sadly, elements of the old culture of wife beating, polygamy and patriarchy still exist within some indigenous communities across the Northern Territory, northern Western Australia and northern Queensland.

Young girls are threatened with arranged marriages to older men, they are routinely treated brutally by their “husbands” and they have little ­redress.

Jacinta Yangapi Nampijinpa Price, a woman with a deep understanding of both European and Aboriginal Australia addressed a meeting at the Centre of Independent Studies in Sydney in late June.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

Speaking plainly and from the heart, she addressed the ­issues that the Royal Commissioners will not.

“What we cannot continue to do,” she said, “is make excuses for violent behaviour. Instead of looking for constitutional recognition or treaties or governments to solve the problems, ownership, responsibility and constructive criticism must take place.

“Yes we’ve worked out the role governments have played in our country’s history but we also must acknowledge our own part in the demise of our people. We must acknowledge what within our own culture is detrimental to us finding solutions to our own problems and work out what changes we must make to move forward.

“Why is it we should remain stifled and live by 40,000-year-old laws when the rest of the world have had the privilege of evolution within their cultures so that they may survive in a modern world? Why in these times should there be an us-and-them mentality? We can’t rid this country of Europeans and the British or those from the rest of the world for that matter who now call Australia home.

“There was a four-decade long campaign to win citizenship rights for Aboriginal Australians but now the absolute fundamental rights of Aboriginal women, girls and children are being denied and ignored by white feminists and human rights lawyers who believe they know better, who believe that the real perpetrators are English speaking white men. We have the same rights as anybody else in this country and it is about time those rights were respected by everybody.”

Ms Price’s commonsense drives deeper to the heart of the basic issue than any Royal Commission has and should be adopted by all Australians.

Lid fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 14, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1651221008472272:0

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wheezle posted:

Fury Road is great provided all you want out of a movie is explosions.

in addition to being a filmmaking masterclass fury road was packed with heavy handed symbolism and had a clear message

do you need a narrator to explain films to you or what

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Cleretic posted:

Can we count on the JUSTICE PARTY for this one? I feel like if they really want to spread their wings this is a good one for them to get on board with.

I wasn't aware of what sort of policies they had, although now I look they do sound like the types to support an inquiry. Equality and all that, assuming they care about refugees as much as they do about animals.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hinch should support it because for him it's pretty much core business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-14/nauru-abuse-allegations-require-senate-inquiry-says-bill-shorten/7732906

Lmao from the article where Labor are pushing for an enquiry

Bill Shorten posted:

"I support regional processing, but I don't believe you should have regional processing at the price of indefinite detention.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i for one am a sensible adult with sensible opinions and a realistic view of the world

vote 1 torture party

• Locked thread