Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aerdan posted:

(The Unseelie's actual name would've been Unseelie Court, except that there is an obvious length limitation in the UI.)

Why would they name a mechanic after evil fairies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
YES!!!

We need more Wario.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

GunnerJ posted:

Why would they name a mechanic after evil fairies?

Squaresoft is notorious for stuff like that, and that isn't even the worst of the lot. To pick a later enemy's actual name, what the actual gently caress is an ipplecrapple? The world may never know.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

:stare:

How did they get the instruments so wrong in this port?

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The secret to performing Sabin's blitz attacks reliably is that diagonals don't exist. Instead of a diagonal, just hit the next direction twice, so Aura Cannon becomes down, left, left. This way you can perform his later blitzes with perfect accuracy.

/EDIT: I might be remembering it wrong, it could be the first direction twice, so Aura Cannon could be down, down, left. It's been a long time.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Fudge Handsome posted:

The secret to performing Sabin's blitz attacks reliably is that diagonals don't exist. Instead of a diagonal, just hit the next direction twice, so Aura Cannon becomes down, left, left. This way you can perform his later blitzes with perfect accuracy.

/EDIT: I might be remembering it wrong, it could be the first direction twice, so Aura Cannon could be down, down, left. It's been a long time.

:ssh: Both work.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fudge Handsome posted:

: Not that that would work for Explosionface, who can't do left right left... Gwahaahaahaa!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Eight: Many Bothans Gave Their Lives For Her To Be Here

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Remain, Nathan and Terra scaled Mt. Kolts and discovered that Vargas, Duncan's son and pupil, had murdered his own father over jealousy due to Leave progressing beyond him. Leave saved the party from Vargas and then joined them in their quest to reach the Returner hideout. Today, we're going to enter the hideout, so let's roll.

They hadn't planned on encountering Vargas or anything. He had just kind of been there, as had Leave, but it all worked out in the end.

Really, they just had to cross Mt. Kolts so they could get to the hideout.

Just outside of the hideout, we get into a fight.

Lookit the cute lil' guys!

They only have 119 HP, so they're not going to last long against anything. They also have no weaknesses, and nothing else interesting about them.

They only drop 59 EXP and 80 Gil a piece, so they're hardly even worth anything. According to the Bestiary FAQ I'm using, they have a special attack called Maul, which does 500% damage, but it's not in their AI script, so there might not be any regular way of seeing it.

I gotta admit, it's inconspicuous.

Then again, I suppose you'd want your rebel hideout to be.

He leads us up here, but we don't have to pop in there just yet. Let's take a quick look 'round first.

Well, I see no way that this is going to jinx their hideout.

In this pot, we find a Green Cherry, which cures the Imp status.

Down here is an item shop.

The Eye Drops are the new things here, and they cure Blind, which tanks your physical hit rate. He also sells Tents and Sprint Shoes, but with Auto Dash, I have no use for Sprint Shoes. And I'm fairly good on supplies at the moment, so let's keep moving.

We can't get back there until we talk to Banon, who is the big cheese around here.

The doorway leads to this room. The chest holds a Phoenix Down, by the by.

I'm not sure why I didn't go in this doorway when I was next to it just a second ago.

But, hey, it's an Inn!

A free one, at that. We could use a quick recharge after Mt. Kolts and the boss fight.

It's time to visit Banon.

What's going--Hang on.

Now that we've robbed Banon in front of him, let's go show him that we're his best shot at saving the world.

: Esper...?

: It seems the Empire had complete control over her.

: Carrier pigeons have kept me informed. I also heard she wiped out fifty Imperial soldiers in mere minutes.

Something you loving bring up! Jesus Christ, Banon!

I mean, he's not wrong here, but how about a little loving tact, you hairball?

Oh, Christ, it's time for him to talk about the good ol' days where he had to eat rocks before school and his five mile hike to fight a bear to find a piece of notebook paper.

: But someone went and opened it anyway, unleashing all the evils of the world...Pride...Envy...Greed...Wrath...Gluttony...The only thing that remained in the box was a single ray of light: hope.

: ...

: Your power is a gift, not a curse. No matter what happens, you must remember that. You are this world's last ray of light...Our final hope.

Terra, no pressure, okay? It's either you help them out, or everyone is proper hosed.

Maybe things will be clearer in a little while.

Uh...Nathan, you're being a bit of a creeper.

Then again, Terra has no memories, so she might think that this is normal.

Our party is in a few different spots in the base, so we'll be finding them all and chatting.

Hey, Remain and Nathan think you're cool. And Leave thought it was the poo poo when you thought he was a bear.

Okay, I was trying to be kind about it, but go ahead and yell at her. That's effective, too.

: Those people are counting on you, too...

And with a flash of armpit funk, he sends Terra on her way.

Leave is over thataway, so let's see what's shakin' with him.

: He's always thought of my needs before his own, ever since we were little. I think you should trust him, too. But don't tell him I said that! He'll turn red as a tomato!

While Leave is bellowing laughter, Terra notices something on the table.

Psh, she ain't nobody's maid!

And we're back to depressing. No wonder you guys aren't winning the war yet; you need some spice back in your life. Do a jazzy dance number or something. Life your spirits!

I suppose having a king on your side would help with recruitment.

Up here, we can snag another four bits of treasure.

There's three of them. The fourth is hidden.

Just let me loot these chests while I think about it. We start by finding a new weapon for Nathan.

The other chest is a Knight's Code, but the hidden treasure is better.

Oh, uh, five bits of treasure. And this isn't the hidden one. Even if it technically qualifies.

There's a hidden passage over here yonder.

Which leads to a brand new relic.

Terra gets it, since her main form of offense is shafted if she gets Silenced. Not that I think Silence is coming up anytime soon, but it's best to be prepared.

This was a ton better in the SNES version; see, in that version, the Evade and Magic Evade stats had a bug associated with them, where the Evade stat simply didn't work. No matter how high the number, it just didn't do anything. Instead, Magic Evade pulled double duty, determining your evade rate for both physical and magical attacks; the +10 boost to Magic Evade was really good and helped the wearer dodge that many more attacks.

Remain is back in Banon's room, so let's see what's shakin' with him.

Not that it's stopped you from trying.

However, this is the key difference.

If she doesn't want to fight, the Returners aren't going to force her into it; in that same situation, the Empire gave her a slave crown, making her a mindless puppet, obeying their every whim.

Let's go find Banon.

Ah, smoke break.

However, he dispenses no time for pleasantries.

At this juncture, Terra is...Unsure. She doesn't know what to do. They're asking so much of her, a woman who barely has any memory, powers she doesn't understand, and she's being asked to fight against the same people who enslaved her and forced her into terrible situations.

She just isn't sure. She may want to help, but she may not know what she can do. Or she might simply be scared.

I may have had an ulterior motive in having Terra turn them down, yes.

But, you can say no up to three times.

Say no the first time and then come talk to this guy.

As he has a badass Relic for us.

The Genji Glove allows the user to equip a weapon in each hand, as well as a small Defense boost.

Also, I think it flows better if Terra talks to this guy and hears his little speech before agreeing. It's the final nudge to push her over to their side.

And it gets us a bit of dialog from Terra that is worth seeing.

She's acting perfectly normal and rational about the situation.

You can refuse Banon three times and still get the Genji Glove, but I think this bit of dialog, after talking to the other Returner, really fits well.

If we say yes at first, we get a Gauntlet, which allows the user to wield their weapon with both hands, doubling their attack power. I like the Genji Glove better because some of the combinations of stat boosts you can get with two weapons is just silly and I love it.

Let's get this show--

:aaa:

That little bit is only accessible if you ignore the scrap of paper. That's the same pot we pulled the Green Cherry out of earlier, too, so we're now trashpickers. Fantastic.

: The question is, where did they get that power?

: I had Nathan dig around for information. It seems the Empire has been gathering scholars from around the world to study espers.

: Narshe's esper was also the reason for the Imperial assault there.

: Are you saying there's some kind of connection between espers and Magitek?

: Espers and Magitek...Only one possible link comes to mind.

: You don't mean...

: The War of the Magi.

: My grandma used to tell me bedtime stories about magical machines...Those stories were true?

: You're saying we're on the verge of a second War of the Magi?

: It's only a guess. The war took place a thousand years ago, and every historian has a different theory. But one theory says that energy drained from espers was used to power machines...And that ordinary humans were also infused with that same energy.

So...Ghosts of dead espers power magic in human beings? That's pretty goddamned metal.

I like it. Fight fire with fire!

...Oh. My bad. :ohdear:

And what, bring about a tray of tea and crumpets and see if we can bond over orange marmalade? Banon, you are having a senior moment. Take a minute to reevaluate what's going on.

: It's risky, but that esper reacted to Terra before...If we could get it to react to her again, we might just be able to wake it up.

I like to imagine this line is spoken with a :what: face.

Well, it's a better idea than nothing. And, hell, maybe it'll work. What've we got to lose, besides the lives of a magic user, the king of Figaro, his brother, and a thief treasure hunter?

The important thing is that Terra is on board. Without her, this plan has absolutely no chance of working.

I like Leave. He's just the right amount of goofy and enthusiastic to want to do this. He's a pretty chill guy.

However, celebrations have to be cut short. There's an odd noise...

...Well, so much for having a hideout.

Nothing good, I'd reckon.

We're in no shape to be making a stand against the Empire. Not now, not here.

That's right, time to get the gently caress outta here. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!

If they've already taken South Figaro, I'm not sure how much more you can slow them down, but what the hey, give it a shot. Maybe you can at least learn something important there.

Nathan has some advice for Terra before he goes.

But it was basically what we knew before; King Remain is a horny young man.

What? Don't deny it. We all know it's true.

And Leave is still just very chill about the situation.

You're not that chill, no. Leave is the chillest dude in the room.

Oh! For a plan of escape. Hey, Remain has that covered. Good on you, bud.

All we really know is that Terra made it react and it blinked the two dudes with her out of existence.

: It's risky, but we don't have much choice at this point.

...What, like she wasn't coming before? I'm pretty sure she was included in all previous plans!

i.e., gain levels and possibly learn new spells.

And just like that, Banon has joined our party and we're escaping out the back.

But first, there's a bit of party juggling I need to do right now, otherwise I will not have the chance.

Banon gets shifted into the back row. Remain is already there.

Now, Blitzes, Magic and Tools don't give any poo poo whatsoever about rows, so everyone can hang out in the back row for this next little bit.

Banon is a magical powerhouse, and his special command is insanely useful, making you nigh immortal. It's basically a free casting of Cura, which at this point, is nearly a full-heal to the entire party. It's also completely free. Needless to say, Banon is a guest.

Before we end this update, there is one last piece of information that is critical to getting through this next part.

Next time, we'll traverse the Lethe River and make our way toward Narshe.

Stay tuned!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Naturally Remain was a thirsty dog even before Leave... left.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I did not know that you could get the Genji Glove AND join the Returners

My mind is blown.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mauman posted:

I did not know that you could get the Genji Glove AND join the Returners

My mind is blown.

What happens if you don't join them? Go to leave and get attacked?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

What happens if you don't join them? Go to leave and get attacked?

You can deny Banon three times, get the Genji Glove, and then poo poo rolls downhill, and you still hit the river.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I would have figured one of the Figaro brothers would have gone to South Figaro, but I suppose stealth is needed moreso than any kind of lifelong familiarity with the area.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So how well does the GBA version do in the bug department? You've already mentioned one major SNES bug that was fixed, but there were plenty of others...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It also squashes THE Glitch in the game - the one that either lets you break the game over your knee, or completely bricks your save.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Glad you got the Genji Glove. I usually give it to Leave- it fits with his character class that he would be attacking with both hands.

Going down the River Lethe, eh? I remember it having a different name in the SNES version. Probably because of Greek mythology connotations I won't say more about right now.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 13, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Come on, man. You know better than that.

Leavemywife posted:

What's your spoiler policy here?

I don't want to see any of that wink wink, nudge nudge crap where you're dropping spoilers while acting coy about it; I don't want anything spoiled for people who haven't played the game before. There's going to be a few people reading this thread who haven't played the game and know nothing about it, and I'd like to keep them surprised as we go through the story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FredMSloniker posted:

So how well does the GBA version do in the bug department? You've already mentioned one major SNES bug that was fixed, but there were plenty of others...

It fixes pretty much all of the main loopholes, the Evade/M-Evade bug, THE GLITCH and the easiest 'one hit kill on anything including bosses' magic combo.
It doesn't fix the more esoteric/clever ones and some things remain just as bonkers as ever.

Also before I saw other LP's of it, I thought the only way to get the Genji Glove was to refuse Banon three times as well. It's a lot more satisfying doing it this way though.

Edit: spoilers removed.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 14, 2016

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fixed. Sorry.

I think there may be other ways to get Genji Gloves, but not this early in the game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mu looks and fights very different than his Chrono Trigger counterpart.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Y-Hat posted:

Mu looks and fights very different than his Chrono Trigger counterpart.

That's because those are Nus.
I'm wondering how Starforce 2 broke apart.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love this game so much but from here to Zozo (if you consider place names a spoiler let me know and I'll delete that) really drags for me. I just don't find it interesting.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FredMSloniker posted:

EDIT: There was something about a future relic exploit that's been patched out here, but it's gone now.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 14, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Sabin is awesome. His Blitzes put him in my final party for sure. I also really like Street Fighter.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sabin would totally rule if he could be played in Street Fighter. :)

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

achtungnight posted:

Sabin would totally rule if he could be played in Street Fighter. :)

I'm not even that big a fan of Dissidia but it baffles and annoys me that he hasn't been in a single one of those games yet.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Fudge Handsome posted:

I'm not even that big a fan of Dissidia but it baffles and annoys me that he hasn't been in a single one of those games yet.

We already have one Brawler type, in the form of Tifa, so it wouldn't be TOO far a stretch.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fudge Handsome posted:

He even has the perfect burst move!

Edit: :doh: This was the post.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 14, 2016

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Silegna posted:

I'm wondering how Starforce 2 broke apart.

Do you happen to mean that Mega Man DS game? Because I can gladly answer that question if that's what you mean.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

ParanoidLogician posted:

Do you happen to mean that Mega Man DS game? Because I can gladly answer that question if that's what you mean.

Yeah, I was making a joke, as Mu is a huge thing during that game.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

May want to edit that out. Remember we're in an LP thread, not a general FFVI discussion thread.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Syka posted:

May want to edit that out. Remember we're in an LP thread, not a general FFVI discussion thread.

As well as anyone who mentioned future cities and relics.

Please. I'd like as much to be a surprise as possible.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

Leavemywife posted:

I've played this game a ton, it's my favorite Final Fantasy by far - but I never really got into the nuts and bolts of how things worked and how to min/max and how to manipulate the RNG or whatever - I just played it for a good story and fun gameplay.

To that end, I really don't know what "THE GLITCH" is referring to - when it comes up can you just let us know? Or if someone wants to PM it to me, I'd appreciate.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

hexedangel posted:

I've played this game a ton, it's my favorite Final Fantasy by far - but I never really got into the nuts and bolts of how things worked and how to min/max and how to manipulate the RNG or whatever - I just played it for a good story and fun gameplay.

To that end, I really don't know what "THE GLITCH" is referring to - when it comes up can you just let us know? Or if someone wants to PM it to me, I'd appreciate.

Check out this spoileriffic link my friend

http://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

Moxie posted:

Check out this spoileriffic link my friend

https://link

Oh, I've read that whole thing and live-followed as it happened, I just wasn't familiar with the verbiage. If "THE GLITCH" is the thing that makes almost all of that LP possible, then I gotcha. Thank you, my friend.

Also, spoiler alert on the other thread, don't click it unless you're very familiar with FF6.

Also also - as it relates to the reply below me I certainly don't want to poo poo on Leave's thread, and I apologize if my question prompted that.

hexedangel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 14, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's kind of a dick move to come into a FF6 LP and go "HEY YOU SHOULD READ THIS OTHER ONE INSTEAD."

I mean, I get why you're recommending it, but...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

Done.

hexedangel posted:

PM sent.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Silegna posted:

Yeah, I was making a joke, as Mu is a huge thing during that game.

Right, right. My bad entirely.

Have to say, wasn't expecting people to get so fired up over glitches.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's enough of them that it's part of the actual gameplay experience. Some of the things I always did in this game and knew about were technically glitches even though I never used them as such :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Just found and caught up with this LP, another JRPG I've never played and know next to nothing about, apart from the bad guy is a big dick. Looking forward to see how it plays out.

Also congrats on the baby Leave! :toot:

• Locked thread