Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Reminder that someone discovered an Action Replay code for the N64 recently that gets rid of the blur garbage.

Reminds me of how people have used emulators to run DS games at impossibly high (for the original hardware) resolutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fawf posted:

Reminds me of how people have used emulators to run DS games at impossibly high (for the original hardware) resolutions

You can do that with any emulator that does 3D games, just look at Xenoblade run through Dolphin. The AR codes for N64 stuff is pretty impressive since you can actually use that on real hardware.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any good examples? I tried to look for one in Youtube and got a Smash Bros video that looked worst and one that showed a thumbnail for Ocarina of Time, but the video was some blurry bald guy talking the whole time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Do not even ask posted:

To be fair, the Saturn bombing in the West was because SEGA NA panicked about the PS1, released it early before any Western publishers had anything ready for it which caused a mass exodus of support from them. Then SEGA hired Bernie Stolar who was behind the PS1's launch, who held the opinion that 2D games were passe and only 3D games should be localized and since the Saturn did 2D games great and 3D games... ehhhh the library in the west suffered.

The 32X still would've bombed hard regardless.

Stolar gets a lot of justified flak for shunning good Saturn games, but it's fair to point out that the system was ailing even before he took over at Sega. The Saturn's bungled surprise launch, uncompetitive price, and lack of Sonic games and big sports exclusives gave it a rough first year-and-a-half, and Sega had lost most of the war by the time the Nintendo 64 arrived.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It didn't help that their release timeline and chosen titles in the US was nonsensical. Saturn is the only system I specifically remember that my local Software Etc had a shelf of imported games you could buy. Only other time that happened was when they imported Shenmue 2.. In Indiana no less.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Alright fess up, which one of you is this?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Reminder that someone discovered an Action Replay code for the N64 recently that gets rid of the blur garbage.

A handful of games even have codes built-in to disable the various filters and textures and what have you, mostly for amusement purposes and because they could.

PS1/N64 era was wonderful for cheat codes, possibly because it was the last time Midway had a bunch of arcade games they wanted to port.

TV chat: I got a ViewSonic LCD SDTV a few months ago and it's actually pretty drat nice for the N64 onward. Haven't tried hooking the NES up to it yet, but I did try the SNES, and it doesn't play nice with it. The picture displays mostly fine, except for an extremely distracting judder every half-second or so where the image appears to vibrate. I did some cursory searching online and it seems like this may be a problem with certain individual systems or a certain run of them – nothing definitive, just one or two people saying they got another SNES and the problem went away.

That aside, I really like this thing. It has a handle and a nice set of built-in speakers and tilt adjust.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 14, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mutant Apocalypse isn't a terrible game though

True Story I once ran across 8 NCAA SNES games CiB at Goodwill. Couldn't bring myself to buy a Sportsball game so I left them to the ages.

TV chats: My dream TV is still that JBL Xtreme set with the built in speakers and subwoofer.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

As for life without PlayStation?
Resident Evil probably wouldn't have happened, and that was huge in getting people excited for the possibilities of 3D games. Silent Hill might have worked on the N64 thanks to the fog, but the demonic content probably would have been changed. We wouldn't have the poorly voiced MegaMan X sequels, we'd lose a lot of those weird games that were able to be made because of the freshness of the system (PaRappa, Wipeout, 3d fighters).

Nintendo had no problems with Shadow Man so I doubt Silent Hill would have been an issue. They were more concerned about swearing and suggestive content back then.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

i was looking around a local shop (where i ended up getting a copy of jet set radio future in pretty nice condition) earlier and saw a copy of the ps2 shadow man sequel and was extremely surprised there was a loving ps2 shadow man sequel. why has shadow man entered my life twice today

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

fishmech posted:

The Sega Saturn was capable of running games solely off the cartridge

I don't think this is true. If it were, wouldn't there be Saturn flashcarts?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ofecks posted:

I don't think this is true. If it were, wouldn't there be Saturn flashcarts?

But it is!

Not only that but you can even run Saturn games from the vcd card slot!

The PAR 4-in-1 is the best example of the card slot execution because so long as it is inserted it always trumps booting the cd which is how it did the region free booting.

There's actually a cart China POCd to load games from the ext slot but it was abandoned ages ago. There's vids and code of it loading langrisser and I think it was called saroo but it has been a while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

i was looking around a local shop (where i ended up getting a copy of jet set radio future in pretty nice condition) earlier and saw a copy of the ps2 shadow man sequel and was extremely surprised there was a loving ps2 shadow man sequel. why has shadow man entered my life twice today

Dude, it's called "2econd Coming", how could you not know?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 14, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

But it is!

The PAR 4-in-1 is the best example of the card slot execution because so long as it is inserted it always trumps booting the cd which is how it did the region free booting.

There's actually a cart China POCd to load games from the ext slot but it was abandoned ages ago. There's vids and code of it loading langrisser and I think it was called saroo but it has been a while.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean an SD/USB Drive for a Saturn would be as easy as plug-and-play into the card slot now that the encryption has been broken on it?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, does this mean an SD/USB Drive for a Saturn would be as easy as plug-and-play into the card slot now that the encryption has been broken on it?

Whenever the guy releases his solution that would be the result.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mill Village posted:

Nintendo had no problems with Shadow Man so I doubt Silent Hill would have been an issue. They were more concerned about swearing and suggestive content back then.

There was also Ogre Battle 64, which I remember had swearing still, which is pretty surprising for a RPG outside of Barret and Cid, which was still censored at times.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The guy who broke the encryption is actively working on that right this second and has it working well enough.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

flyboi posted:

I"m aware of this, I watched the video. I was specifically referring to the toploading cart slot, where one normally puts a PAR. I didn't know there was a Chinese product, was it abandoned because most of the good Saturn games are arcade ports and MAME is cool and good? I'm guessing there are technical complications in loading code through the cart slot, which is why UK dude is going through the backdoor.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There might be a size limit through the cart slot, since another guy is doing something through that only lets you load small homebrew via the cart slot. His cart is also going to do the Pseudo Saturn functions, and be a SD based memory cart.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp, setting up a Retropie was just about the easiest thing I've ever done with emulators. Even homebrewing my Wii was more complicated. Someone said earlier they were apprehensive about it and as someone whose Linux skills are limited to knowing that penguins live at the south pole, and not to mess around with rm -r, go for it, you almost can't do anything wrong. Even my kludges controller solution works out of the box.

Granted, I did mess up the overscan settings to the point where I now have to dig around in some config file or other, but I guess I'll learn something in the process.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp, setting up a Retropie was just about the easiest thing I've ever done with emulators. Even homebrewing my Wii was more complicated. Someone said earlier they were apprehensive about it and as someone whose Linux skills are limited to knowing that penguins live at the south pole, and not to mess around with rm -r, go for it, you almost can't do anything wrong. Even my kludges controller solution works out of the box.

Granted, I did mess up the overscan settings to the point where I now have to dig around in some config file or other, but I guess I'll learn something in the process.

Once you get everything set up the way you want, immediately make an image of your microSD card and store it on your PC. T hat way if anything fucks up, all you have to do is flash the image to the microSD card again and you're golden.

When I first got my Pi, I was a dumbass and corrupted my microSD card like three times by improperly powering down the Pi. Lesson learned.

I ended up buying that Hori Mini arcade stick yesterday :toot:, it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out on the Pi with some Windjammers.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A Raspberry Pi (or a PS Vita) is a quick way to learn that journaled file systems are great until you start randomly power cycling poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Digital Foundry Retro did a thing about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0

That's certainly some framerate going on with Perfect Dark. I knew it was bad, but holy poo poo :stonk:

Incidentally, I've been playing Goldeneye over the past week, trying to get through it on at least Secret Agent difficulty. Bunker 2 on Secret Agent is at least ten times harder than all the previous missions combined.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

True Story I once ran across 8 NCAA SNES games CiB at Goodwill. Couldn't bring myself to buy a Sportsball game so I left them to the ages.

A few years ago I bought a copy of Madden 2000 complete in box for the N64 for $3. That Madden cart now only fits in Japanese N64's but my Japanese version of Yoshi's Story now fits into US N64's without a Gameshark.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Speaking of Goldeneye, version 5 of the goldeneye source mod just came out and has got heaps of players. You don't even need to own Half Life 2 to play it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Re the Saturn ext slot, the guy didn't break any encryption, he just found a way to work around it. At least that's how I understood his youtub video.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

What's a good replacement for a Mega Drive gamepad because holy poo poo the Mega Drive gamepad is terrible

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

What's a good replacement for a Mega Drive gamepad because holy poo poo the Mega Drive gamepad is terrible

What version are you using? I never found the model 2 (6 button) pad to be all that bad

this one:

not this one which is seriously bad:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

Worst opinion to date in the new thread. I don't know of many adapters that work on the Genesis but you could use a SMS or Atari controller if you really want to experience bad.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm using the standard 3 button one but seriously what is wrong with y'all, that d-pad is atrocious

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Speaking of Goldeneye, version 5 of the goldeneye source mod just came out and has got heaps of players. You don't even need to own Half Life 2 to play it.

Oh wow, I thought that mod was as dead as the Perfect Dark source mod

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Turbo Touch 360, duh.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Maybe I'm just salty because my controller's dpad is a bit creaky. Any way to fix that?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like the big (original) Megadrive pad either. The smaller 6-button one (official) fits in my hands much better.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Maybe I'm just salty because my controller's dpad is a bit creaky. Any way to fix that?

In my direct experience, the rubber pads they used that original controller were terrible. I've got a few of those controllers where it's pretty much rotted apart. I guess I should look into someone making replacement parts, but :effort: .

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Read this post while drinking an Ecto Cooler for maximum retro effect.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Speaking of d-pads, has anybody else had issues with the Neo Geo CD gamepad's joystick? I feel like every one I've ever used has issues with the directional contacts getting rusty. I love the feel of it, it's just a shame it's so high-maintenance.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I had one that wouldn't move left at all. Being the mechanical genius I am, I was able to fix it so that Marco Rossi was able to run left again, with the slight caveat of never being able to stop running left and none of the other directions working anymore. :downs:

I will never attempt to repair anything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good price point for a Sony PVM 14 inch? I am very happy with the 20 inch Sony Trinitron, but the fact it only composite is limiting. At least if I can get a PVM, I can put the Trinitron in my bedroom.

• Locked thread