Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

That last panel reminds me of Feiffer's drawing of the Terrible Trivium from The Phantom Tollbooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Selachian posted:

That last panel reminds me of Feiffer's drawing of the Terrible Trivium from The Phantom Tollbooth.

Like, zoinks Scoob, it's the Slender Man!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If anybody's into podcasts, "How Did This Get Made?" a podcast discussing bad movies recently covered the 1996 Phantom movie.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-phantom-live/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just thinks of them as "perks".

Working Daze reminds you of other, better comics.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a loose adaption.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inspector Danger

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Feminine equals weak and bad. Got it, Greg. Thanks. Explains a lot about the attitude toward Tiff and her makeup.

quote:

Once you get them doilies goin’, next it will be a lawnmower cosy, an outboard motor cosy, a table saw cosy, an X -Box cosy, etc. You get the idea…

quote:

I’d suggest a closet. A walk in closet. I know from experience that women never have enough closet space.

quote:

Hope that isn’t load bearing drywall…

quote:

GuntherGrass said, about 19 hours ago
It’s gonna be a Fibber McGee closet!

GuntherGrass said, about 18 hours ago
It’s gonna be a Fibber McGee closet for the guys, so they don’t have to toss lotsa cool stuff.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 18 hours ago
TJ’s marking a door, because…

A) He’s secretly the new Bat Man (he’s already wearing a utility belt) and needs a new way to keep his bat cave secret (it wasn’t hard to keep it from Brad).
B) it’s a matter of needing more pantry space, so they can keep their Spaghetti O’s separate from his precious gourmet supplies
C) He plans a way to escape, if Toni needs the rolling pin to throw at Brad (or in case he gets an idea for a new crazy scheme, and wants to “proactively be a step ahead”)
Or
D) They never had a back door….

quote:

I really am not all that knocked out about the house gag, although it will be fun to see how it turns out. What really is interesting is Brad’s description about and feelings about Toni. He describes her as a girl who has had a tough, hard life, losing her parents, and is a firefigther who could “kick TJ’s butt.” Those of us who know the strip know how Brad met Toni back with her dangerous (then) and abusive boyfriend, and her issue with her diffidant brother, and his inconsistent relationship with his daughter Shannon. Brad comes from a much more stable family. Ironically TJ shares a lot with Toni, having lost his mother, and basically his dad as well. So to me the character information and development is the real gold in this and related arcs. The rest is just background noise, sort of like how Shakespeare develops plays through the events of the main characters, as they are reflected through the subsidiary characters.

quote:

Yo Smiley. Aren’t YOU Supposed to Obtain some kinda ‘Building Permit’ thing from some Over-Paid, Arrogant, Local City Bureaucrat by Greasing His/Her palms with Large Sums of Cash AND (DEEP Breath) Humbly Asking the Property Owners Permission BEFORE Completely Destroying whats Left of THEIR House, FIRST???

:siren:

quote:

Why do you assume that “most” men woukd want a “feminine, girly woman to marry”? I am unusually strong for a woman, even now in my over-weight old age. For example, my sport in my 40s was natural weight lifting and my hubby and i celebrated when my upper arms reached 15". During my 20s while on a prospecting trip with some friends the car turned out to have too lean a mix for the altitude, so for the heck of it i pushed the car uphill (a decent distance) till we coukd reach an area to work on it. There were three men in the car. The ones who knew me were not in the least surprised. The one who did not looked embarrassed when the other two told him to stay in the car, that i woukd enjoy it. During my weight training years Steve used to get a huge kick from watching the reactions of young men, especially the one who got a terrible case of hiccups. Oh, BTW, Steve marriage proposal was the 15th one i had gotten (4 of them from two men who each proposed twice, and another came from an old boyfriend after Steve and I were engaged). Steve’s was the one i accepted. I was not wealthy and not a great beauty, but my being strong never caused problems. Actually, neither did my often smelling like the 50# chimps who used to bounce on my back turning the time i was working my way through college as an adult student (after having been in retail mgmt before my mother’s final illness). So, something other that being “girly” must have been attractive about me back then. The last age at which i was “girly” (and thinly muscular rather than overtly) must have been 17).
:siren:

quote:

I’m surprised that IamJayBluE didn’t treat us to his “titles” today, so I will step in:

“Any Old Portal”
“All In All, You’re Just Another Hole In The Wall” (♪♫)
“Don’t Bring Me Down — Spruce!” (♪♫)
“Beavis And Buttkick”
“The Way I Heard It…”
“Give Us This Day Our Doily, Brad!”
“Dolly…Pardon?”
“Another Opening, Another…WHOA!”

Got anything, Jay?

fort knox

Dustin

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

The Wizard (April 1934)

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger

The champagne suggests a tryst. It was his lover, Gordon.

ETA: Heh, a GroverHaus ref in the GoComics comments. Someone's touching the poop.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 14, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

I know colorblind casting is all the rage now and I'm generally supportive of it, but I don't know if I can handle the idea of a white Delta or a black Gunther.
Well, I assume part of the issue there is that Greg Evans apparently lives in what must be close to the whitest school district in the US. I'm guessing that's his local high school, anyways. As I was watching that video, right away, I was astounded that there was literally not a single non-white person until that one guy showed up for the groundbreaking "Women, Am I Right, Fellas?" song and dance number. A song which, although it features words such as "complex" and "perplexed," somehow manages to never fit in the word "sex" in any context whatsoever.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Maybe while you're there, you can get your mom a copy of Squiggle Monthly, or she might be old enough to enjoy that Nine Inch Nails magazine on the top rack.

Trilobite posted:

I think she's also the one who's paying the ultra-ritzy expensive private school tuition (either directly or through some kind of rigged scholarship)?
I thought of that but didn't include it because I started thinking it was that other person that throws money at the Morgans, the former nanny who is now the wife of the billionaire defense contractor.

But you were right.

Rex Morgan MD

And today our hero makes an old woman who has done nothing but nice things for him and his family cry. Good job, Rex!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle November 29, 1922

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I've never hated the "new" Harley outfit quite as much as I do now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Holy poo poo those legs. I keep forgetting that he can't draw them and am astonished as if for the first time every time he tries drawing them.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, so the Ghost Who Walks, avenging angel that stalks the jungle, mysterious immortal bane of evil, hangs out in public places cracking open bottles of soda?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so the Ghost Who Walks, avenging angel that stalks the jungle, mysterious immortal bane of evil, hangs out in public places cracking open bottles of soda?

It's fine, he's gonna zip it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

omfg a knee ban this sick filth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

This kid talking like a 50-year-old mobster in a movie twice as old as he is is either the worst or the best writing.

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Yes. And?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

This kid talking like a 50-year-old mobster in a movie twice as old as he is is either the worst or the best writing.

He's one of those kids with nerd parents except they're mobsters.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As far as capacity to induce vomiting goes, I suspect even the worst of Gilchrist's musician tributes will pale in comparison to Zakour/Roberts and Reddick's Kenny Baker tributes. I apologize if this is how you find out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tiggum posted:

Reply All

These made me smile, even though I hate the art.

On the other hand, Intelligent Life sucks more and more every day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

These made me smile, even though I hate the art.

On the other hand, Intelligent Life sucks more and more every day.

I guess she's about 8' tall as well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I'd just like to say, I appreciate this.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle November 29, 1922

More please.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Ned is such a drama queen.
"OH, I'm so sad, the gorgeous man I love will be gone for maybe up to a year, and when he returns he'll be a millionaire, just like me. It's such a shame there are no planes to Alaska. Ever. Oh sorry me! Maybe if I take one of the million dollar horses out of the million dollar stable and trample the wage slaves I've hired I'll feel a little better, but *SOB*"
I hope a bear eats Hank.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

:sad:

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (July, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (October 1939)

Mopsy (April, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (August 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

True North

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Slammy, do you have the date on that Everett True?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

dismas posted:

Slammy, do you have the date on that Everett True?

December 2, 1918 - The Southeast Missourian

Some things never change.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You know what, this thread has made too much sense lately. I've figured out why. Have some much needed Ballard Street:

And finally, I'm sad to say that the MRA crowd has invaded the suburbs of Ballard.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think this is a better cartoon.

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo those legs. I keep forgetting that he can't draw them and am astonished as if for the first time every time he tries drawing them.
Why are they never straight? They always look like she's seated or squatting or something, or she's a satyr. She's never just standing. I don't think he does this with the other women characters, and certainly not the men. Just Gwen.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Johnny Walker posted:

Slammy posted:

Calling it: dead daughter who had artistic talent.
Nope, but I think it was a good guess anyways.
I stand corrected. You were right on target.

Jungle Jim

JJ just can't catch a break.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Luann

quote:

what a drag…. not giving a single darn Tiffany is (as always)

quote:

Tiffany has a reason why she is dressed this way. It probably has to do with a guy I bet, but we will see. And yes Argy it is the beginning of a new arc.

quote:

I’m beginning to think that those are her “out to the boonies” clothes. She was dressed similarly when she went with Gunther to study salamanders.

quote:

Tiffany’s dressed this way, because….

A) Any way you slice it, she had no intention of participating in the activity
B) Forgot to reschedule her 12:00 flirtation session with Chip, the school IT guy
C) Didn’t care about doing it (and you’re not gonna make her)
D) Was going to dig for compliments and weed out the competition for that other good parking space, the one for employee of the month
Or
E) Thought there would be a make-up test, today

quote:

“Primp And Circumstance” (♬)
“Me.. And Eye Shadow….” (♪)
“My Farrel Lady”
“No Cover Alls For A Cover Girl”
“The Princess Is A Seedless Peach”
“I Ain’t Gonna Talk About it- No Mow!”
“Planters Are Nuts!”
“Better Never, Than Cultivate”
“She Fears Sheared Stockings”
“Soil And Waterproof Don’t Mix”
“A Waste Of Spades For The Queen Of Diamonds”
or
“The Girly Bird Doesn’t Get Worms”

quote:

Aww, Don’t SWEAT It, Lu. You Don’t want THIS Gal anywhere NEAR Activity that Involves, Vegetation, Dirt, and Especially BUGS.
Insect Bites Make THIS Fetching, Young Lady Do Strange Things.
Just Ask a Recently Aroused Gunther…..,

fort knox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1F93EJIds

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Aww, Don’t SWEAT It, Lu. You Don’t want THIS Gal anywhere NEAR Activity that Involves, Vegetation, Dirt, and Especially BUGS.
Insect Bites Make THIS Fetching, Young Lady Do Strange Things.
Just Ask a Recently Aroused Gunther…..,

Uh, beg your pardon?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Uh, beg your pardon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1F93EJIds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Why are [her legs] never straight? They always look like she's seated or squatting or something, or she's a satyr. She's never just standing. I don't think he does this with the other women characters, and certainly not the men. Just Gwen.

My suspicion is that it's the opposite reason that Brooke's women are all gam and no rear end. Reddick's favorite parts are her luscious, luscious rear end and thighs, but doesn't know how to stop drawing them once he gets to the bottom (har).

The Amazing Spider-Man

Um. MJ? Honey? Peter's very good at taking pictures of Spider-Man because he IS Spider-Man. Something tells me he won't have the same ease taking pictures of anyone who isn't Spider-Man.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

drat, that's a fine elephant.

Big Ben Bolt

"Now go get me pictures of the Ant-Man!"

• Locked thread