Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

sector_corrector posted:

Has this been posted?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/tea-party-pacs-ideas-death-214164

It's a post-mortem of the Tea Party movement from an insider, who says that it quickly turned into a pyramid scheme to milk yokels out of their money while donating less than half of those funds to actual political action, and most of it going to operational costs.

im dead

quote:

On the federal side, FEC Commissioner Ann Ravel has pushed to expand the commission’s authority into this realm to protect candidates like Allen West. Ravel is sincere, but conservative and libertarians are skeptical of government intruding into speech-related activities. It’s also possible that voluntary standards or a privately run grading system may provoke better practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

sharkbomb posted:

I hope Evan McMuffin campaigns exclusively in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho, etc and just shaves a couple points from Trump in every state

He's going to end up with more votes than Jeb!.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I vaguely remember Neurolimal from the Dem primary thread where he was a real piece of poo poo annoying poster.

Day Crew motion to probate him out of this thread

Paging MAGA-CHIEF boosted

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Eonwe posted:

ok good luck with that

record support for fiscally left policies when separated from partisan politics or broken but esteemed economic policies, making p good progress, just need to get old-guard D's to reluctantly get on board and there's a chance

considering how many concessions were granted at the convention this time around, only a matter of time before dems get some sort of oppositional econ stance

zen death robot posted:

Out of this thread!

Out ouT OUT!

TAKE HIS COAT!

trump jokes are cool i just dont care for making GBS threads on poor uneducated folk or passionate young'uns, i'l eat the probie if you want

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

mannerup posted:

he also tried to pivot the gold star discussion to orlando shooter dad before getting called out by tapper, ended the interview looking depressed

i feel like all the hype about Paul Manafort Architect Of Dictatorship when he first came on scene neglected to mention that his last charge was driven from office by an angry mob

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

In a weak and hard to credit "but but both sides do it" kind of way though, and we already know that the author has a skewed perspective as a Republican true believer.

Democrats do the same thing with PAC money, it's a win win system regardless of which party the consultants end up collecting their sky high salaries.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
There's no need to eat a probie, just stop posting

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Neurolimal posted:

i'd rather we educate them on why the government is good and everything they've been taught in school and by newscorps about finance is wrong, than scam them or do nothing

ah so you're one of those 'I'm going to deliberately misread a post just so I can inflate myself in indignant righteousness like a pufferfish' guys

we're all very proud of how good you are. good job.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

etalian posted:

Democrats do the same thing with PAC money, it's a win win system regardless of which party the consultants end up collecting their sky high salaries.

ya, i mean unless you really think it costs tens of millions of dollars to phonebank and fly to a place and hold a rally lol, every candidate has millions-paid consultants giving them mostly worthless advice for obscene dollars

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I like the SA version of his "Jesus and the Presidents" drawing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Conservatives now realizing (or at least admitting) how much of a scam the entire "conservative movement" is now that Trump -- the biggest scam artist of all -- has taken over never gets old.

It is fascinating, though. Check out John Ziegler on right-wing media here:

http://www.mattklewis.com/?powerpress_pinw=8828-podcast

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I just want to know how Paul Manafort is benefitting from working with Trump. Last I read he's not getting a salary? That makes poo poo even shadier because there's no way he's doing this for free.

I predict he gets a 20 million dollar severance in November

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Necc0 posted:

ah so you're one of those 'I'm going to deliberately misread a post just so I can inflate myself in indignant righteousness like a pufferfish' guys

we're all very proud of how good you are. good job.

Don't let him stymie you

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

i'd rather we educate them on why the government is good and everything they've been taught in school and by newscorps about finance is wrong, than scam them or do nothing

I, too, would like a pony

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neurolimial when you found a PAC for educating voters and show me 90+% is going to education ill gladly contribute until then:

lol

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

how long until a NYTimes or CNN story progresses DJT's twitter meltdown to the "I don't even care what you guys think," "it's funny to me how mad you all are," and the "dance my puppets," phases?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

sharkbomb posted:

I just want to know how Paul Manafort is benefitting from working with Trump. Last I read he's not getting a salary? That makes poo poo even shadier because there's no way he's doing this for free.

His russian bank accounts are probably bursting at the seams

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What's wrong with this guy's skull?

He look like some weird alien hybrid of John Michael Higgins and James Badge Dale

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

Would be a foolish move considering the oligarchs deliberately funnel funds out of the Russian Federation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

What's wrong with this guy's skull?

He look like some weird alien hybrid of John Michael Higgins and James Badge Dale

He's from Provo.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

yeah it's little details like 'who is paying manafort?' that make the putin thing genuinely fishy rather than (entirely) silly speculation

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Did any of the GOP candidates stand a chance against Clinton?

Cruz would have been gutted once he was properly scrutinized. Rubio would have come across as a ditz. Jeb is somehow more awkward than Romney.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

the trump tutelage posted:

Cruz would have been gutted once he was properly scrutinized. Rubio would have come across as a ditz. Jeb is somehow more awkward than Romney.

Kasich had a decent shot. I think Rubio would've done pretty well too.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Not really, no. The demographic fundamentals are making it essentially impossible unless they can grab the brass-ring hispanic bloc. Jeb and Rubio were attempting it but even if they won the primaries I doubt their outreach would have been successful.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Last four New Hampshire polls:

Clinton +15
Clinton +13
Clinton +10
Clinton +9

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/764835712566980609

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Taaaaake onnnnnn meeeeee (take on me)
Taaaake meeeee onnnnn!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rear end cobra posted:

let's just say that russia is heavily invested in donald j trump

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

sharkbomb posted:

It's all well and good to work along the borders but for real career advancement they expect you to have worked overseas.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zen death robot posted:

Kasich probably could have "aw geez, shucks" and ate his way through the campaign enough to keep it extremely close plus Ohio would be a lock

He definitely could have taken large, yuge bites out of Hillary's campaign, just really tremendous bites

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

His IRS tax forms will show income from consulting with PutinCorp

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

good read on Trump magazine being a huge failure and loving over employees when they went bankrupt

quote:

I had four days to find a new insurance plan—which proved impossible. Because of Trump magazine, I was a cancer patient without health coverage. And since that cancer could be classified as a pre-existing condition, I was worried it could threaten my ability to obtain health coverage from new employers for the rest of my life.
loving lol at the american healthcare system

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
among White voters in Georgia: Trump 66, Clinton 19

The South

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

He definitely could have taken large, yuge bites out of Hillary's campaign, just really tremendous bites

I still believe Kasich joined the race as a way to escape horrible midwest food.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
i hope reince is forced to supervise trump on the trail for the rest of the campaign

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed

Nameless_Steve posted:

Taaaaake onnnnnn meeeeee (take on me)
Taaaake meeeee onnnnn!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think Kasich would essentially have been a lock for the Presidency, to be honest. He's boring, has a moderate facade, and represents stability while not being prone to having his pants fall down every five minutes like every other clown the GOP ran this year. I think he's all of the strengths of Romney without a lot of the weaknesses. He could actually play up the bullshit "corrupt Hillary" angle that the GOP has been building since the 90s (and hilariously squandered with trump), and just run a campaign that's "bathwater conservatism v. 1.0", providing an alternative to Obama's third term.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

As bad as Scott Adams is, he has yet to reach Dave Sim levels of woman hating.

This just started trending.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/donald-trump-magazine-employee-confessional-bankrupt-2016-214155

quote:

... It was the fall of 2006, and Trump magazine was my first job in journalism—albeit as the receptionist. I’d landed the gig by answering an ad on Craigslist. Fresh out of journalism school, I moved to New York with two undergraduate degrees, my student loans, some meager savings and dreams of becoming a theater critic. The receptionist gig paid a paltry $25,000 per year—barely minimum wage. And that was when the checks cleared.

... Before I was hired at Trump, the magazine had already gained a reputation, most of which I wouldn’t find out about until after it folded. And by that time, I had been diagnosed with cancer and—thanks to Trump—lost my health coverage.

And it just goes on and on from there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

I think Kasich would essentially have been a lock for the Presidency, to be honest. He's boring, has a moderate facade, and represents stability while not being prone to having his pants fall down every five minutes like every other clown the GOP ran this year. I think he's all of the strengths of Romney without a lot of the weaknesses. He could actually play up the bullshit "corrupt Hillary" angle that the GOP has been building since the 90s (and hilariously squandered with trump), and just run a campaign that's "bathwater conservatism v. 1.0", providing an alternative to Obama's third term.

At least the polling showed a more moderate on the surface canidate like Kasich or Rubio could probably do much better against Hillary.

Instead the worst possible canidate won the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mikiebarb/status/764820806782287873

• Locked thread