Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seems weird that we're sending Ciri alone against the Crones in order to reserve Geralt for Just Some Elf. Pretty such the Crones are way more dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Lone Badger posted:

Seems weird that we're sending Ciri alone against the Crones in order to reserve Geralt for Just Some Elf. Pretty such the Crones are way more dangerous.

It's because Ciri is way more powerful than Geralt.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Lone Badger posted:

The Wild Hunt are a bunch of highly-advanced elves that travel dimensions, they're not your ordinary run of the mill elves. The Crones are strong, but not that strong.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Geralt won in rock paper scissors. This poo poo is ironclad.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If the crones eat Ciri, big deal. But if the elves get her, welp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a reason that the Crones are entertaining Imlerith. He's way out of their league, and the gifts he gives them are a major source of their power. That's why Geralt, arguably the greatest swordsman alive, is the one to fight him. Besides, Ciri can obviously handle the Crones now that she's not bleeding from the abdomen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just starting Blood and Wine at 39 and I feel like I need to redo my build...I have the potion for it, but I have no idea where to begin. I mostly use Feline gear, and more alchemy than signs. Any links/ideas? Hell, if nothing else I'm sitting on 15 unused points as it is.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I use the following (also at the start of blood and wine): All the strong / light attack skills maxed up till whirl and rend, Griffin techniques, cast signs with adrenaline, and the two green skills that poison your blade when using oils and the one that ups your toxicity when you learn recipes. I threw in max axii first skill for dialogue options as well. I think that caps out all the basic skill slots you have. I run with 1 green and 3 red mutagens.

I wear full wolf gear with that. With light armor you can switch Griffin tech to cat tech I guess, doesn't change much.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I tried Rend and I just could not use it. By the time I've finished winding up they've hit me. Is it useful?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Lone Badger posted:

I tried Rend and I just could not use it. By the time I've finished winding up they've hit me. Is it useful?

It's useful but you have to predict your attacks. LIke when someone starts to wind up or you roll behind them, start pressing the button for rend immediately. I had no issues with it. It's not a "reactive" skill like whirlwind because of the wind up.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
It synergises well with maxed out Quen as you can tank several hits while charging up a big hit with Rend, which is probably why the Ursine grandmaster bonuses are both focused on Quen (chance for a free Quen shield when yours shatters and a 200% increase in Quen damage)

edit: full grandmaster Ursine, get the sword rune that increases the reach of Rend, get the armour rune that gives you a free Quen on entering battle, pop the superior version of Tawny Owl, and go have some fun with the Hanse bases in B&W.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 13, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Rend is best used after a couple of fast hits stagers them back, it's incredibly satisfying timing it just right as they recover and attempt to attack again. Also it cleaves through the shields that some guys have, which is helluva useful.

In other news, I just respecced to try getting a bit more out of my decoction collection and it's all kinds of fun. Within a couple of seconds of any fight I'll have about 6 or 7 on the go at once.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Been working on a mini-mod to rephrase some of TW3's poorly-paraphrased dialogue options. The game generally does an excellent job of paraphrasing what Geralt is going to say/do, with a couple notable exceptions - that one late game quest where one option simply reads "shove someone down" is the big offender, you know the one. Now, a few simple tweaks have rendered that same misleading option much more clearly. I plan on going through the game and rephrasing the few dialogue options that are misleading like that and releasing it as a mod. However, while I can think of several other bad paraphrases off the top of my head, I figured I'd open it up to suggestions for ones that should be included and rephrased. Little or big, it doesn't matter - they don't all have to be as consequence heavy as the aforementioned "shoving" paraphrase. So if you folks have other misleading paraphases in mind, let me know. I don't want to clutter up the thread with it (unless you're all OK with that), so I guess just send me a PM or hit me up on Twitter.

Knight Who Says Ni
Apr 26, 2014
Am I supposed to gain 32 (!!) levels during the initial conversation cutscene that kicks off Blood and Wine ? I went into the conversation with a lvl. 40 Gerald having finished the main quest and HoS. I re-specced just before setting off to start BaW, but I spent all the points and was good-to-go. Is there some way to de-level, or should I try going back to an earlier save and replaying the beginning of BaW ?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Knight Who Says Ni posted:

Am I supposed to gain 32 (!!) levels during the initial conversation cutscene that kicks off Blood and Wine ? I went into the conversation with a lvl. 40 Gerald having finished the main quest and HoS. I re-specced just before setting off to start BaW, but I spent all the points and was good-to-go. Is there some way to de-level, or should I try going back to an earlier save and replaying the beginning of BaW ?

Did you start the B&W campaign from the main menu? Sounds like you may have used the default save instead of your own.

If not, enjoy your levels.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cirosan posted:

Been working on a mini-mod to rephrase some of TW3's poorly-paraphrased dialogue options. The game generally does an excellent job of paraphrasing what Geralt is going to say/do, with a couple notable exceptions - that one late game quest where one option simply reads "shove someone down" is the big offender, you know the one. Now, a few simple tweaks have rendered that same misleading option much more clearly. I plan on going through the game and rephrasing the few dialogue options that are misleading like that and releasing it as a mod. However, while I can think of several other bad paraphrases off the top of my head, I figured I'd open it up to suggestions for ones that should be included and rephrased. Little or big, it doesn't matter - they don't all have to be as consequence heavy as the aforementioned "shoving" paraphrase. So if you folks have other misleading paraphases in mind, let me know. I don't want to clutter up the thread with it (unless you're all OK with that), so I guess just send me a PM or hit me up on Twitter.

I mean it actually says "Shove X aside. Forcefully." If it wasn't for that last word I'd say it's misleading, but I think that emphasis makes it okay. :shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cirosan posted:

Guessing how you think a dialogue path will go and how it sometimes doesn't is all part of the fun :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean it actually says "Shove X aside. Forcefully." If it wasn't for that last word I'd say it's misleading, but I think that emphasis makes it okay. :shrug:

It's at least not clear enough that lots of people were completely surprised by it being that forceful.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This assassination plan seems overcomplicated. How about I just jump on the ship and start hitting people with my sword until one of them turns out to be Radovid?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

This assassination plan seems overcomplicated. How about I just jump on the ship and start hitting people with my sword until one of them turns out to be Radovid?

Thats the way i feel about how money is handled in this game. Geralt will barter and bitch over 30 crowns, but doesnt think twice about spending 30,000 just to get accese to mediocre rune upgrades.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish there was an option to Axii that fucker in Skellige who decides to pay me less because I told him it was a Forktail I killed, and not a dragon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Should just let him believe.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Nationalise Witchering and make monster education for peasants a public outreach program imo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Lone Badger posted:

Taking on bandits is not the same as taking on heavily armored, trained soldiers.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

redbackground posted:

Guessing how you think a dialogue path will go and how it sometimes doesn't is all part of the fun :(

I get the appeal of not knowing exactly what will happen from your dialogue choices, sure. But I'd argue that you need to have a very good idea of what each one means before it crosses the line from "cool surprise" to "what the hell I didn't want Geralt to do that". As I said, TW3 generally does a good job of this, but the sheer number of times I've seen warnings about that dialogue choice in guides and conversations about the game was the impetus for tinkering around with the game's text, and I do think there are a few areas where the phrasing could be made clearer.

However, I'll concede that I may have made it a bit too obvious. What about phrasing it as something like "Attack Dijkstra"? Then there'd be no question that you're not just shoving the man aside and are crossing over into "grievous harm" territory, but you wouldn't know the details.

Anyways, I don't want to get too hung up on that one dialogue choice - I said there were a few other options that needed tweaking (telling Ciri "Relax, you can't be good at everything." translating to "eh whatever walk it off" strikes me as another; likewise with "Calm down." in Avellac'h's lab) and I wanted to open it up to input. However, if you folks don't really think such a mod is necessary, then I won't waste any more of your time.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 14, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yen in Avellach's lab :xd:

Starting to slightly regret my decisions re: women now.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish there was an option to Axii that fucker in Skellige who decides to pay me less because I told him it was a Forktail I killed, and not a dragon.

Should find out where he lives and murder rampage the whole village imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

finally got around to starting HoS. I also just finished Stranger Things, and the monster's lair in that show is very similar to the lair of the first monster in HoS thought it was a cool coincidence

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Has anyone been experiencing a crash since 1.22 came out? I'm not using any mods etc and the game has always run fine when I played around half a year ago. I can play for about half an hour and then the thing completely freezes, other than the audio, which will play sounds as if the controls are still being received. Drivers etc are up to date.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Rather Dashing posted:

Has anyone been experiencing a crash since 1.22 came out? I'm not using any mods etc and the game has always run fine when I played around half a year ago. I can play for about half an hour and then the thing completely freezes, other than the audio, which will play sounds as if the controls are still being received. Drivers etc are up to date.

This is pretty similar to a bug that was in around release. Do you have an Nvidia card?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yep, a 970 GTX - it being an old bug would make sense in that I only seem to be getting results from over a year ago when googling about it. I'm all patched up from GOG Galaxy though, with all the DLCs.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Does anyone have any tips on running a good Scoia'tael or Monsters deck? I end up falling back to my Northern Realms one as I can't find a strategy that's as reliably effective as spies/decoys/medics.

Bronzie
Dec 13, 2006

Rather Dashing posted:

Yep, a 970 GTX - it being an old bug would make sense in that I only seem to be getting results from over a year ago when googling about it. I'm all patched up from GOG Galaxy though, with all the DLCs.

I think that problem was related to the Nvidia streaming service, which is active regardless of whether you actually have a device that uses it or not. Try stopping the service and seeing if that helps with the crashes.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Bronzie posted:

I think that problem was related to the Nvidia streaming service, which is active regardless of whether you actually have a device that uses it or not. Try stopping the service and seeing if that helps with the crashes.

Holy poo poo. I disabled this crap for unrelated issues ages back. Looks as if the recent Win10 service pack reenabled it. Thanks, hopefully that's done the job.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If that doesn't work change your card's power management to 'prefer maximum performance' and also change from borderless window to fullscreen.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

kim jong-illin posted:

Does anyone have any tips on running a good Scoia'tael or Monsters deck? I end up falling back to my Northern Realms one as I can't find a strategy that's as reliably effective as spies/decoys/medics.

Having a bigger hand trumps all strategies basically, so yeah, Nilfgaard/Northern Realms will always be the best. A bigger hand gives you more moves so you can react to the enemy and save cards for later, and also more cards=more creatures=more damage.

The only cards that can do the same for Monsters/Scoia'tael are the muster cards. They are very vulnerable to scorch though, so try to bait that out before playing your muster cards. Monsters are better at mustering, but Scoia'tael have more flexibility and medics.

My advice for monsters:
- Put in all hero cards, especially yen, avallach, geralt n ciri
- decoy, scorch and champ horn are important
- I would take clear weather over other weather cards
- use the leader that can play weather cards from the deck, after that fog is p. good
- put in vampire, crones, arachas muster sets
- dandelion & Villentretenmerth are good
- keep your deck as small as possible

don't forget you can play a strong card in the first round even when planning to lose to keep him around (faction ability).

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, I've completed all the Gwent quests, as well as the tournament. Miraculous Guide to Gwent says I've gotten all the cards in Velez, Novigrad, and Snelling, but there are still 20 cards that can be won from other Gwent players. Do I just have to go play 20 randoms? Just trying to Collect Em All!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 14, 2016

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I would suggest using a guide! You need to buy some, win some from certain named NPC's, but also a pool from generic merchants.
https://www.vg247.com/2015/05/29/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Samopsa posted:

I would suggest using a guide! You need to buy some, win some from certain named NPC's, but also a pool from generic merchants.
https://www.vg247.com/2015/05/29/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/

That's actually the very guide I used! I've bought all of the ones from those vendors, and beaten all the named NPCs. The game says I've got 17 new cards left to get from playing randoms, but I've played some more merchants and I'm getting cards I already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

As long as you are getting cards, you're not done. There are a finite amount of copies of each card in the world.