Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Watch the state turn blue again! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/764680491198853122

Sputnik is a Russian government run news service.

:shobon:

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

Inferior Third Season posted:

lol. The first debate (if Trump bothers to show) is going to be on par with the Super Bowl and the M*A*S*H finale in terms of viewership. And nobody will escape the highlight reel afterward.

Short of a true appeal to a centrist approach and trying to provoke some nuanced version of a diplomat, there is no way to eschew in "Presidential" version of Donald and surprise the nation- thus swinging what small majority might exist that wishes, "Trump would just seem more professional". If Trump comes in trying to THUNDERFUCK! the debates, the Clinton camp is going to be gleaming with delight to spur him in to a froth of frustration and insecurity. By the single act of him acting rational, people showing up for blood sport will tune out, and anyone using the debates as a means of trying to vet their own interests in the candidates might, God forbid, actually think the man is a politician. This is a real worry for me in a world where people are so willing to shift their opinions over the most trivial circumstances. The bar is so incredibly low for this man to succeed it boggles my mind, the fact that Evangelicals still favor him over Hilary ( 71 percent to 22 percent) is testament to how ill equipped large voting blocks are to evaluating a candidate based on, well, their e n t i r e l i f e and complete lack of a moral compass.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

That sounds half-assed even for a Putin puppet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Putin and Trump aren't doing a very good job at keeping their relationship on the DL

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Augus posted:

Putin and Trump aren't doing a very good job at keeping their relationship on the DL

When you're that in love you want to shout it from the rooftops

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Evangelicals are one issue voters for the most part and that is Abortion. Everything flows from that. If you are a true Christian you think sex is immoral unless it's for procreation in a :airquote: traditional family. Abortion means you are a slut and a whore who obviously is doing this to spite Gods will and are a satanist in disguise. Read the bible (KING JAMES ONLY YOU loving HERETIC) and you'll know it's true!

Clinton supports Planned Parenthood so you know Evangelicals will not stray from trump on that alone, especially since he thinks women who have abortions should be punished

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I have a file too.
It shows that someone I do not like is a poopyhead.
It even has 'secret' on it, so you know it's true.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Spiffster posted:

Evangelicals are one issue voters for the most part and that is Abortion. Everything flows from that. If you are a true Christian you think sex is immoral unless it's for procreation in a :airquote: traditional family. Abortion means you are a slut and a whore who obviously is doing this to spite Gods will and are a satanist in disguise. Read the bible (KING JAMES ONLY YOU loving HERETIC) and you'll know it's true!

Clinton supports Planned Parenthood so you know Evangelicals will not stray from trump on that alone, especially since he thinks women who have abortions should be punished

Their leaders just want to feel important and have access to the throne even if it always ignores them, and will sell out their idiot flock to whoever pretends to listen to them.

It's the old dilemma of serving two masters; they love money and power, and thus have come to hate God.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spiffster posted:

Agreed. They see homosexuality and abortion as the greatest of evils and love the idea of someone attacking other religions. So long as the GOP remains anti-all that, they have the evangelical vote no matter how much else they violate. Life after birth is someone else's problem.

Mercifully, that bloc, like the others loyal to the GOP, is quickly shrinking.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Low level Evangelical are one issue voters.
High up ones care about tax breaks and amassing wealth. Never seen a poor religious leader in the US.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Senator McCaskill somehow ended up turning Fox's accusation of Clinton being the reason ISIS exists into Trump being the reason ISIS exists in Syria. These interviews are getting sad, FN is so obviously trying to protect Trump.

edit, oh and Rachel Campos-Duffy from The LIBRE Initiative is on the panel. They probably shouldn't be allowed on TV, but eh.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 14, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Oh and obligatory gently caress Bob Woodward, that dude is scum.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Prosperity Gospel is a hell of a drug man and I still hear subscribers to that way of thinking even in passing mentions. Brings my blood to a boil.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The evangelical bloc is shattered. What's left of it is desperately clinging to abortion. The key thing to remember is that evangelicals largely subscribe to a hogshit crazy interpretation of the Bible. Jesus says love thy neighbor but those mooching blacks, abortioneers, and homes arent our neighbors. My neighbors are the good clean Christians of the world. It's a schizophrenic death cult and it shouldn't be surprising that they latches on to trump.

The bloc is shattered though. They leaned too heavily on gay marriage. A lot of people literally thought that the obergefell decision was going to be followed hours later by the sound of thunder and a white horse. When obergefell changed absolutely nothing about their day to day lives, though, it broke their reality. The apocalypse didn't come, and so much of the rank and file doesn't know what to believe.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bushiz posted:

The evangelical bloc is shattered. What's left of it is desperately clinging to abortion. The key thing to remember is that evangelicals largely subscribe to a hogshit crazy interpretation of the Bible. Jesus says love thy neighbor but those mooching blacks, abortioneers, and homes arent our neighbors. My neighbors are the good clean Christians of the world. It's a schizophrenic death cult and it shouldn't be surprising that they latches on to trump.

The bloc is shattered though. They leaned too heavily on gay marriage. A lot of people literally thought that the obergefell decision was going to be followed hours later by the sound of thunder and a white horse. When obergefell changed absolutely nothing about their day to day lives, though, it broke their reality. The apocalypse didn't come, and so much of the rank and file doesn't know what to believe.
Such a fate for such backwards-minded zealots can only be just. And should be pressed on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lightning Knight posted:

Driving in much of Milwaukee literally feels like being in a dying wasteland though. I can't even imagine what Detroit looks like in person.

I went about 10 years ago so this was before the crash and all that.

In general, it just feels a lot bigger than it actually is. The actual urban center is fine, but there's a lot of suburbs and they're pretty old. Also the roads were pretty crappy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Segregationist Jeff Sessions on TV defending Trump and right off the bat he blames the media. Losers always blame the media. Sad!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

I hate Evangelicals as much as anyone (Second grade teacher once told me dinosaur bones were put in the ground by Satan) but this is waaaay too simplistic.

They don't have lizard brains and they're usually used to being wrong. No one's having an existential crisis, people are just trying to figure out a way to turn back the clock (Which by the way ain't happening this generation at least, Hi SCOTUS.)

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The main reason Republicans care about promoting socially conservative positions is to drive their base to the voting booth. In 2004 Bush's victory coincided with 11 states voting to ban same-sex marriage.

I wish left-leaning religious figures can get the Social Gospel going again. Some Evangelicals are aware they're being screwed by a party that only gives them lip service.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Segregationist Jeff Sessions on TV defending Trump and right off the bat he blames the media. Losers always blame the media. Sad!

He is parroting Trump, as he is tweeting a lot of poo poo today against the media, especially New York Times.

You would think that if a press outlet can cause you to sink 10 points, you would be sucking their dick and not calling them names.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 14, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Donkwich posted:

I wish left-leaning religious figures can get the Social Gospel going again.

They have for decades now? :confused:

But of course you mean white religious figures

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Donkwich posted:

The main reason Republicans care about promoting socially conservative positions is to drive their base to the voting booth. In 2004 Bush's victory coincided with 11 states voting to ban same-sex marriage.

I wish left-leaning religious figures can get the Social Gospel going again. Some Evangelicals are aware they're being screwed by a party that only gives them lip service.

Most (edit: White) Evangelicals don't give a poo poo about the poor, it gets in the way of judging people, they'll always be Republicans.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 14, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trump would be absolutely nothing without the media, but of course if you're not literally sucking his dick right this second you were never his friend.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

computer parts posted:

Just like how the Democrats do great with the working class except for the white ones, but nobody can shut up about how the Democrats "lost" the working class.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Just like how the Democrats do great with the working class except for the white ones, but nobody can shut up about how the Democrats "lost" the working class.

Yea the Democrats' insistence on not only aiding poor whites is really hurting them among whites nostalgic for the 50s and probably will until there isn't a middle class anymore.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Who also are active, the social gospel movement is active in both white and non white parts of AMerica. It just happens that it really doesn't sell or make media waves like some poo poo head from FRC.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

He is parroting Trump, as he is tweeting a lot of poo poo today against the media, especially New York Times.

You would think that if a press outlet can cause you to sink 10 points, you would be sucking their dick and not calling them names.

Yeah, Trump is super-whiny today.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/764803159692836864
He also attacks the NY Times for using anonymous sources, which is hilarious coming from a guy who constantly says things like "many people have said...".

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

No one's having an existential crisis, people are just trying to figure out a way to turn back the clock (Which by the way ain't happening this generation at least, Hi SCOTUS.)

The leadership, maybe, but half of my extended family bought survival food after the ruling came down

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bushiz posted:

Add on the instant and substantial backlash to HB2, pretty much all they have left is abortion. Look at how quickly NOM fell apart. They were a single-issue special interest group and now they have trouble raising money.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Egg McMuffin is on This Week this morning and boy are they pretending that he might have a chance at more than a dozen votes outside of Utah.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sir Tonk posted:

Egg McMuffin

Johnson?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've noticed that there's billboards from both Castle megastore and Hustler in Phoenix.

Hustler's slogan is "Summer just got hotter"
Castle's is "If you can't stand the heat, stay in the bedroom."

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see "Summer just got hotter" I'm like "gently caress no!"

Edit: Thought this was the Phoenix thread.
Both stores sell lingerie and other stuff
Hustler is a newcomer in the area, they just opened a new store.
Castle has been around for a long time.

Last weekend I drove by a Castle, and the sign out front said "Give her a different kind of flower" so maybe AZ really is going to flip blue this year!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Evan McMullin, he's the #NeverTrump candidate for President.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Egg McMuffin is on This Week this morning and boy are they pretending that he might have a chance at more than a dozen votes outside of Utah.

I really don't get why they're giving him any more time than the other idiots who are only on a dozen states' ballots. Maybe it's the words "CIA Operative." Like they're laying the groundwork for when it comes out that that's a bunch of bullshit so they can get a few segments out of it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I see a lot of hate for Bob Woodward on this board. I bought a used copy of All the President's Men a while back and now I'm wondering if I should ever read it

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The media isn't covering much of the reality that Trump has zero campaign infrastructure anywhere. That's going to be a massive disadvantage come November. Say what you will about Romney's messed up analytics and terrible internal polls, but he at least had a semblance of a ground game.

He's starting to open offices. How well he can scale so late in the game is anyone's guess.

Asimo posted:

Speaking as a Connecticut resident, :lol:.

State's not nearly as left leaning as some of our neighbors due to all the rich fucks here, but it's still like +7 for Clinton and I can't see that changing at this point. The conservatives here tend to be more old establishment types.

Honestly, Clinton+7 makes this one of Trump's more winnable states. Like it's more of a battleground than VA/MI/PA.

TheScott2K posted:

I really don't get why they're giving him any more time than the other idiots who are only on a dozen states' ballots. Maybe it's the words "CIA Operative." Like they're laying the groundwork for when it comes out that that's a bunch of bullshit so they can get a few segments out of it.

Because the Washington Media Bubble doesn't realize how out of touch they are.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jackson Taus posted:

He's starting to open offices. How well he can scale so late in the game is anyone's guess.

Is he actually? Or is he "planning to"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blue squares posted:

I see a lot of hate for Bob Woodward on this board. I bought a used copy of All the President's Men a while back and now I'm wondering if I should ever read it

70s Woordward taking down Nixon was fine. 1990s-2000s Woodward fellating incumbent politicians and treating Republicans like Serious People can go gently caress himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hahahahaha he's admitting he's losing

the pivot has arrived, unfortunately it was blame and not political opinions

• Locked thread