Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's possible, but the phone was working great until about 5am.

They said there's a weather related issue (meaning poo poo flooded somewhere), so hopefully it'll be back up and rolling soon. I think AT&T is completely out here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, I switched over to Total on my lunch break and now I get cell reception in my office, so it seems pretty great so far.

They have a 5% discount for auto-refill, so it's really only $33.25/month

Tempting - thanks for the heads up

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

I activated a line with them the other day, it was unable to be completed online and I had to call and do it over the phone. customer service was overseas but it went smoothly. service is good and the price is right. I set up with a nee number so can't comment on porting, I've heard the cs is worse when doing so

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EugeneJ posted:

Offset by taxes and fees unfortunately. Mine comes out to a little over $36.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2016

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I recently bought an unlocked Nexus 5x that supposedly works on all carriers and i now plan on selling it to my mother who is on Boost. Since it's unlocked, is it safe to say that it will work on Boost?

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Looks like Cricket starting blocking my VPN from connecting over LTE. Does anyone know which other MVNOs might be VPN compatible?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bloopsy posted:

I recently bought an unlocked Nexus 5x that supposedly works on all carriers and i now plan on selling it to my mother who is on Boost. Since it's unlocked, is it safe to say that it will work on Boost?

It's not safe to say that at all. Boost has a very select list of lovely phones they will allow to be activated on their network. The Nexii devices do not seem to be on that list.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Porterhaus posted:

Looks like Cricket starting blocking my VPN from connecting over LTE. Does anyone know which other MVNOs might be VPN compatible?

What kind of VPN are you using? I haven't had any trouble with OpenVPN on Cricket.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is the correct way to cancel Cricket service to just turn off auto-pay and quit paying? I don't see any option to actually cancel service.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the correct way to cancel Cricket service to just turn off auto-pay and quit paying? I don't see any option to actually cancel service.

yup

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So with Cricket, bumping your plan up a level actually resets your data???

I bumped from basic to the 50 dollar plan since I drained through my 2.5 gigs in record time. It reset my data usage. I don't even understand why anyone would ever pay 10 bucks to add 1 gig then.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My guess it that not enough people abuse it to warranty a policy change.

You can reset your data by changing up, then changing back. It prorates for each change and you can change twice a month I think.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So basically if you hit 2.5 gigs before your month is over, you can bump up to the next plan? Does it restart your plan month at full price or just charge you the difference?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

So basically if you hit 2.5 gigs before your month is over, you can bump up to the next plan? Does it restart your plan month at full price or just charge you the difference?

You just pay the difference. I paid 3.66 dollars or something and I have about 12 days left or so.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TLG James posted:

So with Cricket, bumping your plan up a level actually resets your data???

I bumped from basic to the 50 dollar plan since I drained through my 2.5 gigs in record time. It reset my data usage. I don't even understand why anyone would ever pay 10 bucks to add 1 gig then.

You don't need to do upgrade-downgrade, you can do downgrade-upgrade and save a couple dollars.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung grand galaxy prime or whatever it's called. Anyone know of a good, cheap phone that has some decent on-board storage space and does 4glte and works on cricket?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How cheap?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
100-150$ or so.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you have prime you can get the ad supported moto g4 for 150

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
What's the cheapest service that will port in Google Voice numbers that I can then port out to Cricket?

Cricket won't accept GV numbers directly because it treats them as landlines, but I read that other services like TracFone or GoPhone do. I won't be using any data or making calls during the process, I just want to transfer my GV number to Cricket the easiest/cheapest way possible.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Celador posted:

What's the cheapest service that will port in Google Voice numbers that I can then port out to Cricket?

Cricket won't accept GV numbers directly because it treats them as landlines, but I read that other services like TracFone or GoPhone do. I won't be using any data or making calls during the process, I just want to transfer my GV number to Cricket the easiest/cheapest way possible.

Tmo prepaid sim costs under $5, sometimes $0.99. you don't have to add money to the account either.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Celador posted:

Why would you port your GV number to a carrier? Mind enlighten me?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
It looks like I won't need to actually do it anymore, I found a workaround after talking to a customer service rep. The reason I wanted to port from GV to a carrier was because it was an old number that I ported to GV a while ago. It wasn't always a GV number.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Celador posted:

It looks like I won't need to actually do it anymore, I found a workaround after talking to a customer service rep. The reason I wanted to port from GV to a carrier was because it was an old number that I ported to GV a while ago. It wasn't always a GV number.

For what it's worth, I ported an old carrier number to GV and then later I ported it out to t-mobile prepaid no problems. I have a purely GV number as well that I've shuffled between google accounts.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yeah it looks like some carriers consider GV numbers as landlines and won't let you port them to a mobile account. Others, like T-Mobile, it appears don't care either way.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So my daughter currently has a net10 account (yeah I know it's not the greatest provider however i don't pay for her plan) and I am looking to get her a used iphone 5s. Does provider matter that I am carrying over from? I'm guessing att or unlocked but wanted to double check. Also, do you think it's best to wait a month or so? Will price drop significantly once the 7 comes out?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fairly sure net10 provides their lovely service to phones from all carriers as long as they're unlocked and not stolen.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Harminoff posted:

So my daughter currently has a net10 account (yeah I know it's not the greatest provider however i don't pay for her plan) and I am looking to get her a used iphone 5s. Does provider matter that I am carrying over from? I'm guessing att or unlocked but wanted to double check. Also, do you think it's best to wait a month or so? Will price drop significantly once the 7 comes out?

At&t or unlocked, but unlocked would be best just to be sure. Yep, prices will likely drop as soon as the 7 is actually available.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

I want to switch to Cricket - $50 ($45 autopay) Smart plan. I am using a factory unlocked iPhone 6 (bought from Apple, without a carrier attached) - not jailbroken, not tethered.

I want to confirm that MMS works properly before I make the switch. Meaning, I can use my native iPhone messages app to send and receive pictures, videos, and group texts to Android phones or with iMessage disabled.

What is the Cricket rewards? Their website mentions rewards but it's kind of vague. Someone mentioned a $5 Amazon gift card from Cricket rewards a few pages ago too, how does that work?

Also, if someone has a referral code, please post it so we can get a credit.

Thank you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Funosaurus posted:

I want to switch to Cricket - $50 ($45 autopay) Smart plan. I am using a factory unlocked iPhone 6 (bought from Apple, without a carrier attached) - not jailbroken, not tethered.

I want to confirm that MMS works properly before I make the switch. Meaning, I can use my native iPhone messages app to send and receive pictures, videos, and group texts to Android phones or with iMessage disabled.

What is the Cricket rewards? Their website mentions rewards but it's kind of vague. Someone mentioned a $5 Amazon gift card from Cricket rewards a few pages ago too, how does that work?

Thank you.

MMS works on my android, so I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't on an iphone. EDIT: check here: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/bring-your-own-device-byod/customer/bring-your-own-iphone.html

Cricket rewards are points you get for paying on time and logging into their app. YOu can trade the points in for amazon and other gift cards and what not, its alright, but not a reason to pick cricket.

as for a referral: https://refer.cricketwireless.com/54MlPlL

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
MMS works just fine on cricket. Videos are super compressed though

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Funosaurus posted:

Thank you.

It works fine. My brother has no problems sending MMS on his unlocked iPhone 5c.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

MMS works on my android, so I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't on an iphone. EDIT: check here: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/bring-your-own-device-byod/customer/bring-your-own-iphone.html

Cricket rewards are points you get for paying on time and logging into their app. YOu can trade the points in for amazon and other gift cards and what not, its alright, but not a reason to pick cricket.

as for a referral: https://refer.cricketwireless.com/54MlPlL

Thank you. I'll use your referral soon.

Thanks, everyone for the info.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is Cricket still the most-recommended prepaid carrier? The OP hasn't been updated in a year and I have no idea what might have changed.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cricket is good if you want at&t and total wireless is good if you want verizon

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What categories of BYOD will Total Wireless activate? E.g. any CDMA phone, only Verizon ones, any CDMA phone except a Verizon one...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I use one of the unlocked ad supported moto G4 from amazon

e: they have an imei checker that will tell you if its compatible on their site iirc also

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 24, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blue Train posted:

I use one of the unlocked ad supported moto G4 from amazon

e: they have an imei checker that will tell you if its compatible on their site iirc also

Ok, that'll help me see if my current phone will be OK, but it won't help if I decide to get a new phone. Plus, it's tied to Walmart, which is a big negative in my book.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the phone I bought was unlocked so theoretically any CDMA phone should work, excepting maybe branded prepaid devices

you buy the sim kit from walmart but you can buy off their site and just use a cc for autopay, theyre owned by tracfone who also owns net10 straight talk etc. walmart is just the only brick and mortar who sells the stuff, they're not involved exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, that's better. Thanks for the info.