Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

feedmegin posted:

So I'm envisioning a unit mounted on frigging John Deeres, 18 wheelers and yellow schoolbuses going into action. Is, uh, that really what they do? It seems a bit...rustic.

Essentially yes, though that transport would only be mainly used to plop down the brigades into whatever operations zone they have.

The actual details on where wartime brigades are placed are OPSEC ofc (and mind you, i have actually no idea of whatever the military's real plans are) but the infantry brigades would probably only be used for static defense in natural bottlenecks, and not along the main axis of a Russian attack into Finland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

A question- how do submariners avoid going insane? How do navies decide which people will be able to cope with hours crammed inside a boat designed to sink, and do they ever get it wrong...?

I've just now found the new thread and haven't read through it all yet, but I will answer your question from back in the dim mists of like two weeks ago (presuming that it hasn't already been answered) because this is like literally the one thing that I'm actually qualified to have an opinion on.

The US Navy's submariners are all volunteer. I don't know about other navies, but in the US you cannot be assigned to a submarine unless you request it. There was a kind of 100-question psych questionnaire* but mostly I guess they figure that if you actually ask to be put on a submarine, you're probably gonna work out. Actually being underway is kind of easy street, you have an 18-hour routine that you fall into. Being back in port is kind of worse because you get to go goof off on liberty but you need to be back inside that HY-80 steel bitch again tomorrow and it's hanging over you. Underway you just do your job, because where are you going to go? It's far more likely that you'll be standing watch with an incompetent waste of skin than with someone who's going to go completely bugnuts and try to crawl his way up the forward escape trunk 250 feet underwater.

I did an effort-ish post back in the old milhist thread about submarine life, I'll dig it up if you care. Your question has probably been answered in like page 14 and I just haven't read to that point yet.

* one of the questions was "I sometimes pretend I am dead and nobody can see or hear me (y/n)".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

hogmartin posted:

* one of the questions was "I sometimes pretend I am dead and nobody can see or hear me (y/n)".
Oh man military psych test questions are magical. A Finnish classic is "I have considered a career as a florist (y/n)".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Does a penchant for pretending to be dead qualify or disqualify you for the sub lyfe? Qualify, because it shows an ability to retreat into your head in cramped surroundings?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Siivola posted:

Oh man military psych test questions are magical. A Finnish classic is "I have considered a career as a florist (y/n)".

What relevance to military service could this possibly have?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

spectralent posted:

They don't want you to spend too much time on your camouflage.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

Hippies are peace-loving communists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spectralent posted:

IANAP but I've heard that the test includes some confusing questions just to throw you off. The same questions show up several times worded slightly differently and they look if you're being consistent. There is also a time limit so you can't stop to think for too long.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

alternatehistory.com

Well there's your problem right there.

I don't know how people can put up with that. I once ran into a Boo who insisted that the Abrams could not frontally penetrate a Tiger II and I wanted to put my head through the wall.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I don't know how people can put up with that. I once ran into a Boo who insisted that the Abrams could not frontally penetrate a Tiger II and I wanted to put my head through the wall.

Lol. I'm pretty sure our time traveling Abrams could penetrate the loving Yamato.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

IANAP but I've heard that the test includes some confusing questions just to throw you off. The same questions show up several times worded slightly differently and they look if you're being consistent. There is also a time limit so you can't stop to think for too long.

The tests used are based on these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

P-Mack posted:

Lol. I'm pretty sure our time traveling Abrams could penetrate the loving Yamato.

Assuming this is accurate most 120mm APFSDS could do it. Some of them could even penetrate the turret face.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Does a penchant for pretending to be dead qualify or disqualify you for the sub lyfe? Qualify, because it shows an ability to retreat into your head in cramped surroundings?

I'm guessing "no, I do not like to pretend I am dead" was the correct answer in that case. I kind of wonder about who exactly that kind of test weeds out.

"I will do everything in my power to sell secrets and then drive a bus full of kindergarteners off a bridge"
- strongly agree
- agree
- neither agree nor disagree
- disagree
- strongly disagree

Is there someone who really wants to do treasonous and immoral poo poo but has a personal code that keeps him from lying about it on a Scantron form?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hogmartin posted:

I'm guessing "no, I do not like to pretend I am dead" was the correct answer in that case. I kind of wonder about who exactly that kind of test weeds out.

"I will do everything in my power to sell secrets and then drive a bus full of kindergarteners off a bridge"
- strongly agree
- agree
- neither agree nor disagree
- disagree
- strongly disagree

Is there someone who really wants to do treasonous and immoral poo poo but has a personal code that keeps him from lying about it on a Scantron form?

I'm not sure if this is the same ballpark, or even the same sport, but they give similar tests when applying for low-wage jobs with big organizations. The tests are not really there to catch people who plan to be lazy or devious; it's to catch the people who plan that and don't have the intelligence/social awareness to lie about it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same ballpark, or even the same sport, but they give similar tests when applying for low-wage jobs with big organizations. The tests are not really there to catch people who plan to be lazy or devious; it's to catch the people who plan that and don't have the intelligence/social awareness to lie about it.

We might get criminals and slackers, but by God, they will be smart criminals and slackers!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

NLJP posted:

Not a lot of old stuff other than undated dry stone walls sadly. The walls are rad though but nothing milhist related. Might have a wander and take some pics of the rad landscape though but doesn't seem relevant to the thread.

Edit: well, we might have found some stone tools when we were working in the garden and there is viking age and medieval archaology around but mostly in museums now.

Is it closer to which one of these:

Sveaborg Fortress' Commandant's mansion house.

Soldier's croft.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

We might get criminals and slackers, but by God, they will be smart criminals and slackers!

Ie. good jägers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

At a certain point, a person who manages to hide their criminality and slacking is functionally equivalent to a decent employee.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hogmartin posted:

I've just now found the new thread and haven't read through it all yet, but I will answer your question from back in the dim mists of like two weeks ago (presuming that it hasn't already been answered) because this is like literally the one thing that I'm actually qualified to have an opinion on.

The US Navy's submariners are all volunteer. I don't know about other navies, but in the US you cannot be assigned to a submarine unless you request it. There was a kind of 100-question psych questionnaire* but mostly I guess they figure that if you actually ask to be put on a submarine, you're probably gonna work out. Actually being underway is kind of easy street, you have an 18-hour routine that you fall into. Being back in port is kind of worse because you get to go goof off on liberty but you need to be back inside that HY-80 steel bitch again tomorrow and it's hanging over you. Underway you just do your job, because where are you going to go? It's far more likely that you'll be standing watch with an incompetent waste of skin than with someone who's going to go completely bugnuts and try to crawl his way up the forward escape trunk 250 feet underwater.

I did an effort-ish post back in the old milhist thread about submarine life, I'll dig it up if you care. Your question has probably been answered in like page 14 and I just haven't read to that point yet.

Thanks for the reply! Nothing this detailed has been posted yet, unless I've missed it.
That line about "you just do your job because where are you going to go" is, well, kind of amazing. In a claustrophobic sort of way...
It'd be cool if that old post could be dug up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tree Bucket posted:

Thanks for the reply! Nothing this detailed has been posted yet, unless I've missed it.
That line about "you just do your job because where are you going to go" is, well, kind of amazing. In a claustrophobic sort of way...

Boy have I got a thread for you...

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

The post was at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=736&perpage=40#post452289372

I hope I didn't make it sound all hardass or anything, "you just do your job because where are you going to go" is basically what it's about. With three exceptions that come to mind since WWII, being on a US submarine is pretty much like any other military job. Wake up, eat some food, stand watch, eat again, clean stuff, sleep, repeat. The fact that you're underwater isn't an issue at all, you're just in a workplace and you do your stuff. If you're on a frigate or something, you could probably go up to the fantail and look at clouds but you're still going to eat the same galley food on the same mess deck and then sleep in your same rack.

MrYenko's thread probably has some good stuff too, I gotta read that one. I'm guessing (since the title is Submarine Officer 101), it's a little different than my experience. Enlisted other than nukes don't have to go to nuke school and just basically have to qualify on our jobs and qualify on submarines. Nukes and officers have to go to nuke school and presumably sacrifice babies to Admiral Rickover's sainted memory.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

10 August: Opportunity missed at Sixth Isonzo! Let's spend a week running uphill at some completely different impenetrable trenches! This will surely yield dividends. Meanwhile, Joffre and Haig are apparently total BFFs, even as Joffre's liaison with BEF headquarters has written an utterly scathing indictment of the said headquarters's attempts to direct the Battle of the Somme, and it turns out that there might just be 50 tanks in France in mid-September but there won't be any spare parts for them. There's an attack of some sort in Salonika; crazed student Briggs Kilburn Adams continues his ridiculous summer job; Max Plowman is less than impressed by pack drill and Field Punishment Number One; Oswin Creighton moves house and decides he likes Northerners more than aristocrats; and the full truth about Maximilian Mugge's new battalion is now well and truly out of the bag.

11 August: There's an attack from Pozieres towards Mouquet Farm which from the ANZAC side of the hill looks like just another bloody slog, but from the German side caused an extremely dangerous crisis; a medical officer arrives at Contalmaison and goes straight into a cellar full of the most hellishly wounded men; quite a lot of the Germans on the Somme are extremely disinclined to follow General von Falkenhayn's blethering about packing their fire trench with men and clinging tenaciously to every inch of ground at all times; Max Plowman patronises his men, although he's trying to ingratiate himself with them; Neil Tennant has been trying to muck about in a boat and succeeds only in boating around in the muck; walking pratfall E.S. Thompson once again fails at removing himself from his battalion's ration strength; Evelyn Southwell spends a pleasant morning floating origami boats down a river; and Maximilian Mugge's outrage is still firmly in first gear.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrYenko posted:

Thanks! Had a quick glance at the thread. Worth it just for the bit about whales viewing subs as the retarded mute step cousin no one talks about....
Also it'll be unteresting to see the same subject from two different view points.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am too down for this idea, simply so in the future we can have droneodromes.

I think it'd work better if you used a latin/greek root. Robodromes!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

and the full truth about Maximilian Mugge's new battalion is now well and truly out of the bag.

Six paragraphs of incoherent swearing is quite a reasonable reaction.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MrYenko posted:

The Admiral in charge of the naval reactors personally interviews every single potential submarine nuclear engineer? :stare:

Well, at least he takes his job looking after all those reactors seriously.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

Is it closer to which one of these:

Sveaborg Fortress' Commandant's mansion house.

Soldier's croft.

Would have been the latter but the building is no longer extant as far as i know. If it helps, the area is called Torp on Senoren. That more or less is as generic a placename as you can get and is basically hicksville. Told you there's not a lot actually relevant to milhist now :)

Might be worth mentioning that my grandmothers family surname is Modig (roughly, 'brave') which is a soldier name. It's been mentioned in the previous thread but this is a pretty good writeup: https://nordicroots.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/swedish-surnames-soldiers/

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

feedmegin posted:

So I'm envisioning a unit mounted on frigging John Deeres, 18 wheelers and yellow schoolbuses going into action. Is, uh, that really what they do? It seems a bit...rustic.

Infantry on bicycles (or on skis, in winter) towed by a tractor was a reality in the Swedish army into the 1990's. It was the only means of strategic mobility for many infantry brigades until well into the 1970's (other than loading the entire brigade on trains, that is), at which point most of them were completely motorized so the guys got to ride in trucks instead. In the event of mobilization, a lot of the motorization was supposed to be done with "conscripted" civilian trucks and cars, though.

The ones that stayed with the old 1966 TO&E upgraded to this instead in the late 70's:

By 1988, the eight remaining brigades that were still using this TO&E were finally disbanded. Tractors towing bicycles remained into the 1990's for some local defense formations that really weren't supposed to move much, though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 14, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I love the air watch guy's soldierly stance, he's alert and ready to shoot a Spetsnaz guy popping up from the bushes any second!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'll give you even money that he's having a wank with his other hand

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Antti posted:

The Admiral in charge of the naval reactors personally interviews every single potential submarine nuclear engineer? :stare:

Well, at least he takes his job looking after all those reactors seriously.

Presumably not every engineer, but probably every officer. ADM Rickover was famous for conducting uncomfortable and humiliating interviews of potential nuclear submarine officers, it would be very surprising if he hadn't enacted some kind of plan to ensure that his successors continued the tradition now 30 years after he died. http://www.businessinsider.com/hyman-rickover-interview-techniques-2014-4

The US has not had a catastrophic nuclear casualty since putting people to sea on the world's first nuclear-powered submarine over 60 years ago, so I'm guessing Rickover got something right.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

hogmartin posted:

Presumably not every engineer, but probably every officer. ADM Rickover was famous for conducting uncomfortable and humiliating interviews of potential nuclear submarine officers, it would be very surprising if he hadn't enacted some kind of plan to ensure that his successors continued the tradition now 30 years after he died.

If Rickover hadn't specified interview protocols for his successors to follow, interviewed them and all that, the CIA would probably be interrogating whoever was sitting in his chair within the day since it clearly wasn't him.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 14, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

xthetenth posted:

If Rickover hadn't specified interview protocols for his successors to follow, interviewed them and all that, the CIA would probably be interrogating whoever was sitting in his chair within the day since it clearly wasn't him.

If he wasn't belittling the chair for not living up to its full potential that would have been giveaway enough.

e: the thread MrYenko linked started off as "here's what it's like to be a submarine officer" but goes off into "here's some wacky poo poo we did on my old boat". Some of the guys have stories about being on 637s which were pretty much all decommissioned by the time I was in high school. I didn't know the forums had so many bubbleheads.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 14, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The highest military award in the service of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was not given, you specifically had to apply for it if you thought you were ready. I find that very amusing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

Greatest blitzkrieg of all time happened in 1944.
mid 1620s and eat my dick

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
anyway, i showed my brand new sheath for my dagger to my hauptmann and he said "that's not suitable for a common soldier". showed it to a friend of mine and he said "as soon as you get hungry you'll sell it."

Thanks for the vote of confidence, dickbags. The friend in question is the same guy who killed my prisoner a few weeks ago

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

anyway, i showed my brand new sheath for my dagger to my hauptmann and he said "that's not suitable for a common soldier". showed it to a friend of mine and he said "as soon as you get hungry you'll sell it."

Thanks for the vote of confidence, dickbags. The friend in question is the same guy who killed my prisoner a few weeks ago

Sounds like they've insulted your honour. You know what to do.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Belgian posted:

tbqh if my hauptmann had been really in character, that would have been a preamble to stealing it from me, probably. embezzling from your own guys was super common, if you were an officer

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 14, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Belgian posted:

sue sue sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

tbqh if my hauptmann had been really in character, that would have been a preamble to stealing it from me, probably. embezzling from your own guys was super common, if you were an officer

Let's play a game, this one is called "1715 or 1915?"

quote:

Lieutenant Malvezy cast envious eyes upon my new binoculars, and brazenly proposed that I exchange them for his own, which weren’t worth forty sous. I refused. He insisted; I refused even more emphatically. He didn’t waste much time exacting petty vengeance on me.

The more things change, etc etc etc.