Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tide posted:

So, really thinking about picking up either the Rift or Vive for my mancave. How is it for multimedia experiences such as movies or watching sporting events? A close second use will be for flight sims (also, which works best?)

Is a 1070 or 1080 plus 16gb really a difference maker over a 970 and 8gb, assuming all else equal?

As much as I am a diehard Vive fanboy and love it for roomscale/motion controls, the Rift has advantages for flight sims. Can't speak for movies/sporting events, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift also has advantages there (it's lighter, for one thing, and has a slightly sharper image). My only warning would be that if you're significantly nearsighted and wear glasses, the Rift only fits glasses below a certain size.

A 1070 or 1080 is definitely an improvement over a 970, yes, though a 970 is workable (it's what I use for my Vive). If you already have a 970, I'd keep it for now and upgrade later if you need the improved performance; if you're buying a new card anyways, I'd definitely suggest the 1070.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Gear VR is best for sporting events and the like. That seems to be the device that all the multimedia stuff ends up on. I mean, the Rift proper STILL doesn't have a Netflix app.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For what you want to do, Rift is the way to go. It's technically cheaper because it doesn't come with motion controllers but you don't need motion controllers to watch movies and do flight sims. The sharper image of the rift is also going to be better for flight sims as it is easier to read the gauges. If you ever want motion controllers. you can always buy touch whenever it comes out.

As for the 1070, it's worth it for me at least. It's better than a 980Ti and if games ever implement the VR features, it will get even better. A 1080 will be even better but that's if you want to spend way more money. 970 was the best bang for the buck and the 1070 is the same. More RAM is always good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Watching Stranger things on Big Screen, void background... wow. I never watch TV or movies by myself, but these really brings the experience a step beyond - everything else is tuned out, big screen in front of.

Wow! I did not see this being something worthwhile, just watching shows, if you told me this is what I'd be doing in VR I would have scoffed, but it's actually... super great?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Watching Stranger things on Big Screen, void background... wow. I never watch TV or movies by myself, but these really brings the experience a step beyond - everything else is tuned out, big screen in front of.

Wow! I did not see this being something worthwhile, just watching shows, if you told me this is what I'd be doing in VR I would have scoffed, but it's actually... super great?

It really is cool. If you get a chance watch a good 3d bluray(you have to rip it to be a SBS video), those are really awesome too with pretty much perfect 3d effects.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

And if you have your bed nearby you can watch on the ceiling while lying down, it's amazing

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Not what you'd want it to be.

On the other hand, War Thunder is everything I wanted Eve Valkyrie to be. Free to play (and you can gently caress up the pay-to-win players with the starting biplanes if you're skilled/lucky), excellent drop-in arcade dogfighting that's always a minute away, and they even have tank fighting and mixed plane/tank maps where you can shoot a plane out of the sky with your tank's main gun.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nalin posted:

~MORE STUFF~.

Bremen posted:

~EVEN MORE STUFF~

FormatAmerica posted:

~EVEN MOOOORE STUFF

Awesome, good to know. I would kill to have VR for my 27" iMac but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. Time to start researching PC builds.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lemming posted:

And if you have your bed nearby you can watch on the ceiling while lying down, it's amazing

I've got a chair that reclines a bit back and let's me tilt back me head, it is very nice not to have to support the full weight of the mask for the whole thing. Actually think I like that better than I would lying down.

I just wish the software would be a bit more stable - it keeps crashing because of some unpronouncable garbage, it constantly loses bluetooth connection, or goes to a grey screen, or brings up the boundary for god knows what reason, and lately it randomly stops recognizing clicks in the menu.

All very frustrating, and the BigScreen app seems to be the cause because it works fine for everything else.

Once it works though it keeps working so long as I don't try to use the controller or more, so perfect for binge watching an entire series hahah. After I had to go the bathroom the technical difficulties convinced me to switch back to the monitor... but I made it about a minute before I'm like "gently caress this" and went back to trying to get the Vive working, it was such a step down.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

For less involving things I like the balcony setups in Big Screen, too. It's a really chill environment. Watching a video and looking out over the city, seeing the curtains flutter on the balcony door.

I wish there was more just environmental things sometimes. Give me camping simulator 2016 where I can like watch the sunset and then put up my tent and make a campfire and maybe there is the occasional animal or something. Subnautica is closest thing currently, I suppose, I need to get back into that. And there's Daydream Blue but the graphics there are so simplistic, it's not really what I want.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/minecraft/status/765216478232715264

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Uh... hasn't minecraft worked on Rift (and Vive) for months now?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh... hasn't minecraft worked on Rift (and Vive) for months now?
Yeah as a mod for the old version, this is official support for the Win 10 version. The mod is probably still better tbh, especially if you have a Vive, but performance isn't great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you even rip a 3d blu ray in sbs

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

How do you even rip a 3d blu ray in sbs

Here's a reddit thread that goes over some of the options https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4mxru3/dear_vr_developers_please_make_some_kind_of_3d/

It's a lot of hoops to jump through for a video you already own though, imo . . . . . .

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone ever gotten their phones to sync to their Vive? I think I got it to show up once, but Bluetooth is jank incarnate.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

No surprise but it's *extremely* well-implemented and nice to have something that launches smoothly from Oculus Home.

Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of Minecraft!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Since a lot of Blurays already offer a downloadable digital copy, maybe one day in the not too distant future they will work with VR headset makers and offer a player that works with the headsets. Although that is probably a pipe dream, but I feel like a lot of people with headsets would buy the movies because the experience really is pretty cool.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Here's a reddit thread that goes over some of the options https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4mxru3/dear_vr_developers_please_make_some_kind_of_3d/

It's a lot of hoops to jump through for a video you already own though, imo . . . . . .

Definitely just pirate it. Buy a legit copy or something of the regular version to make up for it. Getting that stuff to work legit is not worth the time or effort

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Definitely just pirate it. Buy a legit copy or something of the regular version to make up for it. Getting that stuff to work legit is not worth the time or effort

Haha yeah, I didn't know if I could say that or not ;) I already have something like 150 blurays, and I would buy a poo poo ton more if they just worked in VR personally.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know if the Win10 Minecraft can connect to Vanilla servers? I just bought the Gear VR edition yesterday, which has its own multiplayer system like the other mobile versions, and the Win10 port looks to have a lot of the same interface elements. I'm hoping to be able to eventually go onto my usual server and stroll around the stuff I created.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FormatAmerica posted:

No surprise but it's *extremely* well-implemented and nice to have something that launches smoothly from Oculus Home.

Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of Minecraft!

Is the Oculus Home version of Minecraft totally free?

Microsoft was claiming that the Win 10 Beta Edition of Minecraft was free, but it turned out you still need to log in with a traditional account, which I don't have.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zero VGS posted:

On the other hand, War Thunder is everything I wanted Eve Valkyrie to be. Free to play (and you can gently caress up the pay-to-win players with the starting biplanes if you're skilled/lucky), excellent drop-in arcade dogfighting that's always a minute away, and they even have tank fighting and mixed plane/tank maps where you can shoot a plane out of the sky with your tank's main gun.

gently caress, I totally forgot about War Thunder. I've got to imagine it's rough to play in the arcade dogfight mode in VR, though?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Anyone know if the Win10 Minecraft can connect to Vanilla servers? I just bought the Gear VR edition yesterday, which has its own multiplayer system like the other mobile versions, and the Win10 port looks to have a lot of the same interface elements. I'm hoping to be able to eventually go onto my usual server and stroll around the stuff I created.

It can not. The PC/java version is a completely different build than the mobile/Windows 10 version.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Is the Oculus Home version of Minecraft totally free?

Microsoft was claiming that the Win 10 Beta Edition of Minecraft was free, but it turned out you still need to log in with a traditional account, which I don't have.

I don't know - I didn't have to log in but I had the win 10 version installed already and I'm not really clean on how it all works together (or not)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The Win10 version of minecraft is a port of the pocket pc version, which is all C++. It's also the direction that microsoft has declared they are moving in - they are going to feature freeze the java version and concentrate development on the pocket pc version moving forward.

Due to all this, it's super smooth but there are no mods and there won't be until they nail down the API in some future version. It's going to be a while, probably years, if ever. Microsoft paid two billion dollars so they figure they'll be able to monetize it somehow, likely with DLC so there probably won't be as robust a modding community.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about War Thunder. I've got to imagine it's rough to play in the arcade dogfight mode in VR, though?

There's a third-person follow cam by default which I find very comfortable.

There's a first person as well, my friend tried it and got pretty sick from that but he insisted on sticking with it because he found it to be cooler...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ciaphas posted:

If you intend on doing well, yeah. The last time I tried it, it was super easy to lose your mouse cursor, and there was some weirdness with the camera (particularly in vertical maneuvers) that was probably better for nausea than situational awareness. Still fun, though I'd recommend playing with a stick (separate throttle not needed) and sticking to realistic or simulator mode and first person.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FormatAmerica posted:

I don't know - I didn't have to log in but I had the win 10 version installed already and I'm not really clean on how it all works together (or not)

I just tried... so it lets you log in and play but it calls it it a "Trial" and says your playtime is capped at 90 minutes unless you buy the full version.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would you search for? 3d sbs? Sorry for dumb question but yeah gently caress that process. I own zootopia on blu ray I just wanna see it in 3d :qq:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I just tried... so it lets you log in and play but it calls it it a "Trial" and says your playtime is capped at 90 minutes unless you buy the full version.

That's pretty generous and nice of them to do for the people who want to try new VR stuff but might not otherwise care to play minecraft.

I played a couple hours tonight- it's very nice, I feel like the controls and visuals are better than Minecrift (especially trees!).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

What would you search for? 3d sbs? Sorry for dumb question but yeah gently caress that process. I own zootopia on blu ray I just wanna see it in 3d :qq:

I think the player can handle whatever type of format and the file itself will probably tell you what it is. Just search for 3D.

720p is also probably the highest resolution you want to deal with, according to Lord Carmack you get severely diminishing returns afterwards

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah just the name of the movie followed by "SBS" usually works.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

sure, if you want to win, but it's extremely awesome to be in the cockpit anyway.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

KakerMix posted:

It can not. The PC/java version is a completely different build than the mobile/Windows 10 version.

Aw. :( Minecrift still works though, right?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Minecrift has handed to the torch the Vivecraft, which still works.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Aw. :( Minecrift still works though, right?

Breakfast All Day posted:

Minecrift has handed to the torch the Vivecraft, which still works.

This, plus you get a whole lot of mod content that also works really well all things considered. There is never going to be a modding API for the Windows 10 version of Minecraft, never ever. Why would they allow you to mod the game when they can (and do!) charge money for visual packs? You'd have to be out of your mind to think Microsoft would allow that onto their two billion dollar purchase.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zero VGS posted:

Full version is only ten bucks, too, which isn't bad at all. Of course there's also optional skin packs and whatnot.

FormatAmerica posted:

That's pretty generous and nice of them to do for the people who want to try new VR stuff but might not otherwise care to play minecraft.

I played a couple hours tonight- it's very nice, I feel like the controls and visuals are better than Minecrift (especially trees!).

It is very nice, I bought it pretty quickly after playing the demo for about a half hour. Lots of smart decisions here in terms of comfort. Graduated turning or smooth scrolling, move in the direction you are looking or not, all the sort of stuff that should come standard in first-person VR games but often doesn't. Also a "big screen" quick key where you can pull out of the 3d world to where you are playing minecraft on a big screen in a virtual minecraft living room, which is nice if you start getting a touch of motion sickness or whatever and want to chill it out without leaving the game. Has the mining pick lock to a block while you are mining it so you can look around while hacking away. Just smart little things, I've never seen the Vive version so I don't know how much of this it implements but this seems like a good version.

I haven't been big into minecraft in years, so this is a really cool jump back in for me. The game translates incredibly well to VR. Pretty relaxing and it's cool to just be able to look around with my head to scope out ore or poke my head out of the door to look for creepers.

Bhodi posted:

The Win10 version of minecraft is a port of the pocket pc version, which is all C++. It's also the direction that microsoft has declared they are moving in - they are going to feature freeze the java version and concentrate development on the pocket pc version moving forward.

Due to all this, it's super smooth but there are no mods and there won't be until they nail down the API in some future version. It's going to be a while, probably years, if ever. Microsoft paid two billion dollars so they figure they'll be able to monetize it somehow, likely with DLC so there probably won't be as robust a modding community.

I don't really care about mods that much, but I assume I can only use the officially sanctioned DLC texture packs, which is a bummer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Picked up Minecraft since it was free. Getting used to the default mouse look combined with head tracking is weird, but man it sure looks cool.

Thanks, I've been waiting for this to hit the CV1 since I saw giant bomb cover it a year or two ago. How hard is it to add the cabinet art? I would require that, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sir Tonk posted:

Picked up Minecraft since it was free. Getting used to the default mouse look combined with head tracking is weird, but man it sure looks cool.

Thanks, I've been waiting for this to hit the CV1 since I saw giant bomb cover it a year or two ago. How hard is it to add the cabinet art? I would require that, of course.

There's a reddit thread here with a pack of cabinet art that a guy made, it has a lot of the bigger names: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewRetroArcade/comments/4qyuuo/need_some_cabinet_art_made_taking_requests/

His zip file also includes templates for the marquee and side art. Then you just need to google for the best images you can find of the art. If you just search for the name of the machine you want to make and "cabinet art" you can usually find a decent enough picture of it (and sometimes you get lucky and find someone trying to sell the art panel stickers or something and get a super-clean copy). Then use Photoshop or Gimp to fit it into the template as best you can. In game, the glossiness and dim lighting cover a lot if it isn't perfect.

I mean, I absolutely suck poo poo at using Gimp, but I made these myself:

Moon Patrol

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Time Pilot and Popeye

You'll notice that the buttons/joystick don't line up with the art in most cases on mine -- you can actually get in there and adjust them until they are right, but that's a level of crazy tinkering that I'm not up to yet.

(edit): if you go here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736005082 there's a guide that talks about how to set up everything from the emulator .dlls to roms and also has the templates for cabinet art too, this may be helpful

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 16, 2016