Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Whatever, GameCube got Madden just like everyone else. The PS2 coming with a free DVD player was a much bigger deal.

It didn't get so many other things that support from EA literally didn't matter.

I know I mentioned DVD support as being important, but I wouldn't say it's as important as the sheer size of its library. The PS2 was the personification of "something for everybody" to a degree that no other console matched in that generation. In contrast, the GameCube was a continuation of Nintendo's third-party woes.

I'm not saying the system was awful or an abject failure, I'm just pointing out that it was never in any position to compete with the PS2 due to a variety of factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The problem Nintendo has always had with Sony I think is that Sony is an entertainment behemoth with connections and access to product placement and tastemaking media that Nintendo could only dream of, as Nintendo can only go as far as it's huge pile of cash can take it (see: known socialite-for-hire Paris Hilton posing with a gamecube.)

Marketing is huge for the large portion of people who aren't into video games for video games' sake. Hell, that's why the Wii did well, is people bought it for Wii Fit and Wii Sports because it was The Thing. However, Sony has a ton of ridiculous tie-ins and has a few of its own titles that had more low-key but ridiculously strong niche non-gamer appeal; I had people (older white lower-upper class dudes) in my store buy PS2s for Hot Shots Golf exclusively way back during the PS2 era, for instance.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also I think that the PS2's backwards compatibility was a huge factor for people, especially with the somewhat anemic launch day lineup. Sony could easily supplement that with the entire PSX back catalog right when all the games would be dirt cheap "greatest hits."

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

eightpole posted:

having a comfortable controller

Are we talking about the same system here? Try playing any game besides Smash with a Gamecube controller and "comfortable" will probably be the last word you're thinking of.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The Gamecube Controller did nothing wrong

(well the c stick sucked but besides that)

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I thought the gamecube was a failure though? Like on the level of wii u doomspeak

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ventana posted:

The Gamecube Controller did nothing wrong

(well the c stick sucked but besides that)

Many attempts to play Soul Caliber 2 and Mega Man Anniversary Collection say otherwise. The controller is fine for games that were specifically built around it (Smash, Luigi's Mansion) but pretty awful for almost everything else.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Raserys posted:

I thought the gamecube was a failure though? Like on the level of wii u doomspeak

Everything Nintendo makes is a failure. Except for the SNES, unless you were a Genesis fanboy in the 16-bit era.

Nintendo was at it's best when [whenever you were 12] and bad at all other times.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god the controls for ssx tricky were a clusterfuck

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mercury Crusader posted:

Everything Nintendo makes is a failure. Except for the SNES, unless you were a Genesis fanboy in the 16-bit era.

Nintendo was at it's best when [whenever you were 12] and bad at all other times.

don't mistake me, i love the gamecube dearly, i just thought it sold poorly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raserys posted:

They couldnt sell it at 99$ so yeah.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mercury Crusader posted:

If you were 12 when the SNES was out then this is true, yeah

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raserys posted:

don't mistake me, i love the gamecube dearly, i just thought it sold poorly

It did, but it sold double of what the U did, so it wasn't as bad in the long run. Wii U sold Dreamcast levels and if it was the only thing Nintendo had to rely on money they would have gone under like a certain other company.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raserys posted:

It was.

Originally projected to reach 50 million units sold by 2005, the Gamecube didn't even reach half of that by the time production ended in 2007, falling just under the original Xbox's sales. Cue a number of overly defensive shitposts saying in effect: "nuh uh the game cube is good and cool can we have a different thread for doom and gloom and leave a hug box up for the rest of us"

It was the console that made Nintendo realize that it needed to do something different in the console space to remain competitive there. They certainly weren't having any problems with the Gameboy Advance, and the DS will go down as the last dedicated handheld to sell as well as it did, but their console business was in danger and pretty much everyone knew it.

Don't get me wrong: the GameCube was an awesome system and there are games on it that I was and still am happy to have been able to play. It also sold way under expectations despite having a pretty awesome lineup, and continued a downward trend in home console sales that began as far back as the SNES, and was only reversed with the Wii, which went on to sell over a hundred million units.

It should say a lot that the Wii U will likely not even reach 20 million consoles sold in its lifetime.

I'm interested to see how Nintendo will address this with the NX, and if also ends up being a failure, it will still have some goddamned awesome Nintendo games so of course I'll buy the thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And speaking of the Gamecube and Dreamcast, I keep getting confused why Internet people keep bringing it up that Nintendo NX needs to compete with the PS4. They've already been there and it didn't work.

When the Gamecube came out the Dreamcast had already gone under. The hype for the PS2 had been so ridiculous that even in my tiny, poor country, the thing flew out of the shelves when it came out at a price point that would convert to $500 in today's money. It had one of the worst line up launches I've ever seen a console and in my opinion it took nearly a year and half to get anything that people could legitimately call system sellers (MSG2, GTA, etc). Yet when the Gamecube and the Xbox came out, nobody flocked to them. The PS2 was already too entrenched in just that one year and half.

Now, the PS4 has been out for three years, it sold over 40 million consoles -- everyone knows someone who owns one and everyone who has one has most of their friends playing in it online. Nobody is going to buy a NX if it's just something that is slightly better than a PS4. Hell, Microsoft already announced something like that and I rather doubt anyone will honestly care when the time comes. Specs sell to hardcore people. Normal people care about brands they recognize and word of mouth. And thankfully, Nintendo has finally recognized this and it may lead to good things eventually.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i remember hearing poo poo about how the nintendo nx might have something where you like stack multiple nxs on eachother to connect them and get better performance

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
would you say... two nxes duct taped together

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

Specs sell to hardcore people. Normal people care about brands they recognize and word of mouth. And thankfully, Nintendo has finally recognized this and it may lead to good things eventually.

I dunno, Nintendo has some of the strongest brand names in videogames with Mario and Zelda, and that didn't mean a thing for the Wii U. They landed some really interesting and cool third party stuff for the system, and it didn't mean a thing. Outside of obvious third party woes, the word of mouth around the system is generally positive (among Nintendo fans) and that didn't mean a thing. It had the unique GamePad to try and carry forward the mojo from the Wii, and it didn't mean a thing. The launch lineup was arguably stronger than the PS4 or the Xbox One, and it didn't mean a thing.

I wouldn't even say specs were the problem, for the Cube or the Wii U. The Cube's problems didn't show off the 'flaw' of trying to match or exceed the competition's specs, but were a continuation of other problems that started as early as the SNES era. The Wii U specs as they stand would have been an equally devastating competitor to the PS3 and 360 as the Wii; Those are the consoles it's closest to spec-wise. Unfortunately the Wii U ended up competing against two significantly more powerful systems, both of whom had made better inroads with third-parties to keep the software flowing while anticipated releases made their way through production.

I think the NX could stand a better chance if it can land on going third-party support, have an aggressive price point at launch, and Nintendo is able to deliver its own software more regularly and without obvious disasters like Other M or Star Fox Zero dragging them down. More importantly, they need to be a lot better at marketing the damned thing. I'm still amazed at stories about people not understanding that the Wii and the Wii U were two totally separate systems. In a different universe, the Wii U is Nintendo's PS2, building off the success of its predecessor and selling as well, if not better.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SilverSupernova posted:

Many attempts to play Soul Caliber 2 and Mega Man Anniversary Collection say otherwise. The controller is fine for games that were specifically built around it (Smash, Luigi's Mansion) but pretty awful for almost everything else.

I definitely had an easier time with Soul Calibur 2 on the GC than PS2 myself. And many more games were fine :shrug: Never played the MM collection but there really weren't a lot of games I had that when I look back at them were really terrible with the controls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Crusader posted:

[I am always 12 when I play Nintendo games]

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nintendo is always at its best, though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the wii being a cheap 360p hunk of plastic with waggle sticks and selling out everywhere and everyone souring on it 9 months later and putting it at the bottom of their closet, and nintendo continuing to make half-baked toys with their franchises e.g. star fox: zero buys, metroid: touchscreen poo poo shooter, animal crossing: amiibo pyramid scheme festival, mario: the same poo poo you seen on the SNES and 64 but shorter and less distinctive, have really crapped on the perception of their products. my advice is they need to make something good and prima facie impressive that doesnt seem like a waggle stick stuffed into a 3d-printed plastic tablet hobby kit, instead of making bad things

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope nintendo can put the nx in a comfortable and sleek form factor. i understand why all their hardware comes encased in a cheap plastic tomb but i hope they come up with something attractive and ergonomic for once without having to wait for a revision.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SilverSupernova posted:

It's not the 'Cube controller's fault that the idiots who made the MMAC switched the conventional jump/fire buttons. At the very least, they should have made X a jump button so you could play it with X and A in the traditional jump/fire layout. It was fantastic for the X collection where you could map the buttons.

Soul Caliber it just depends on what you learned to play on. I loved playing it on the GC controller cause that's the version I had.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

the wii being a cheap 360p hunk of plastic with waggle sticks and selling out everywhere and everyone souring on it 9 months later and putting it at the bottom of their closet, and nintendo continuing to make half-baked toys with their franchises e.g. star fox: zero buys, metroid: touchscreen poo poo shooter, animal crossing: amiibo pyramid scheme festival, mario: the same poo poo you seen on the SNES and 64 but shorter and less distinctive, have really crapped on the perception of their products. my advice is they need to make something good and prima facie impressive that doesnt seem like a waggle stick stuffed into a 3d-printed plastic tablet hobby kit, instead of making bad things
lol source your quotes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

source: me, this thread, a few minutes ago, 8/14/16

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super No Vacancy posted:

source: me, this thread, a few minutes ago, 8/14/16

nice try, Arthur Gies

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm michael pachter

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm michael pachter

no you're the love child of pachter and gies

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Super No Vacancy posted:

I hope the approach that Nintendo is taking to the new Zelda is one that they'll take with other games in the future. Breath of the Wild feels like the first Nintendo title in a while where they have looked at what people who don't buy their games and consoles are playing (open world exploration games), and then have actually tried to move into that market. It feels like a potentially really successful combination of Nintendo's really good approach to gameplay with a genre that is very popular at the moment, and I hope they try more new things like that.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm michael pachter

what does the future hold, gaming industry superanalyst michael pachter

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Red Bones posted:

Breath of the Wild feels like the first Nintendo title in a while where they have looked at what people who don't buy their games and consoles are playing

Splatoon was just last year. Still, the game does raise some excitement that they'll do similar things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my og wii is still under my TV

i still have to play dead space extraction, opoona, de blob, and metroid prime 3

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is this where I talk about how my NES would be superior to an NX? Just kidding, but I seriously hope the NX does well. The Wii was amazing and I think everyone I know has come in contact with it or owns it, but the Wii U, I only know one person who has it and he uses it as a Brawl/Mario Maker platform

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 14, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SilverSupernova posted:

Splatoon was just last year. Still, the game does raise some excitement that they'll do similar things.

Oh, that's true. I hope that these two titles are more indicative of where the company is heading in the future. I guess there was that lovely looking 3DS steampunk X-Com game they made, too, that was experimental. Well, hopefully if the NX just provides all their teams with one platform to develop for, there will be more room for successful experiments.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Pretty much all of last year was a weird experimental phase for the company. Some for the better (Splatoon, Mario Maker) and some not so much (Amiibo Festival).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mercury Crusader posted:

Quick, somebody get Junpei in here to confirm this.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Raserys posted:

what does the future hold, gaming industry superanalyst michael pachter

Climate apocalypse

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

the wii being a cheap 360p hunk of plastic with waggle sticks and selling out everywhere and everyone souring on it 9 months later and putting it at the bottom of their closet,

That's just not accurate. They've sold over 900 million software units for it(according to their last financial report). That just doesn't happen for something someone stuffs in a closet after a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the wii had awesome games its just that during the middle of wii's life all the wrong games got the attention, like THE CONDUIT rather than actually awesome/unique games like munchables, opoona, zack & wiki, madworld, domino rally, spectrobes origins (IKU ZE) etc

• Locked thread