Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best dog race
Lab
Bulldog
Retreiver
German shepherd
Beagle
Poodle
Collie
Yorkie
Boxer
Rott
Dash
poo poo on sue
Chiwawa (?!)
Husky
Cat
Spaniel
Pug
Bull terrier
Great dane
Doobieman
Sheepdog
Eddie from Fraser
Corgi
Whatever lassie is
Other pls state
View Results

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Huskies are good dogs as long as you have a big yard for them to run around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deki posted:

Huskies are good dogs as long as you have a big yard for them to run around in.

They tend to up in shelters since they are really hard to train

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Tibetan Mastiff. Because it makes Pits, Dobermans and GSDs look like pussies

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I work in harsh climates and it's pretty cool to roll up on a drilling rig location and it's -30 outside, and the consultants husky comes running up and wants to play fetch with snowballs and chunks of ice.

Rig dogs are almost always huskies. They're good at alerting the crew of wild animals and love to make a snow nest.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Cuckoo posted:

Tibetan Mastiff. Because it makes Pits, Dobermans and GSDs look like pussies

A TM is a good doge if you are a drug lord

good luck finding one that isn't inbred to gently caress now, though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thathonkey posted:

i like boxers though i dont normally like dogs with hosed up looking faces like that boxers are p cool
i mostly follow dogs on instagram and most of the ones i follow are dachshunds and boxers. they're hyper and skittish but nice

jonathan posted:

English Mastiff or Bull Terrier

Both dogs look cool as gently caress
bull terriers look goofy as hell

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Quantum Finger posted:

A TM is a good doge if you are a drug lord

good luck finding one that isn't inbred to gently caress now, though

If you don't adopt a Tibetan Mastiff by hiking into the windswept hills and offering a hefty sum to a shepherd for his snarling lionbeast, you're doing it wrong

Serious answer:

I know small dogs are usually yappy footballs but out of all of them, I found Papillions are great. They are cute as hell and their yappiness can be trained away. I had one tame enough to quietly sit on my lap in a NYC subway (which to a dog's perspective are absolutely overloaded with stimulation to bark at). There are certain small breeds I will never trust to be well-behaved if seen on the street, such as Daschunds or Chihuahuas, but it's not like every breed under 50 lbs. is a neurotic mess.

Except for Shih Tzus. gently caress Shih Tzus :mad:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Y-Hat posted:

i mostly follow dogs on instagram and most of the ones i follow are dachshunds and boxers. they're hyper and skittish but nice

bull terriers look goofy as hell

i follow mostly hot girls on intagram. they dont' know me, though

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I also love dachshunds because they have attitude. They believe that they're in charge of the household and they're right.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

zakharov posted:

I also love dachshunds because they have attitude. They believe that they're in charge of the household and they're right.

They are also one of the most aggressive dog breeds lmao. This is what happens when you breed a dog mean enough to take on badgers and turn it into a family pet:

"The most aggressive breed, the study found, was the Dachshund. The researchers discovered that that one in five have bit or attempted to bite a stranger, and one in twelve have lashed out at their owners. Chihuahuas were in second place, and Jack Russells were the third most aggressive breed. Up to 30 percent of these smaller breeds have bit or attempted to bite unfamiliar dogs."

The reason you don't see them on bite and fatality lists is because they are thankfully small enough not to kill, and no bite victims want to admit they got owned by a weenie dog

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hemophilia posted:

People who need a working dog or a service dog, fine,

Thanks for backpedaling from your position just enough to accommodate Khazar's needs.

Yes, there are terrible breeders, but the system as a whole presents a barrier to entry that is useful. It's unfortunate that it's mainly a financial barrier in the US, but it helps separate serious owners from dilettantes. Impulse buying is why you rarely see dogs in shopping malls anymore. If you're heavily invested, you have a tendency to try and get it right. Acquisition should be difficult.

What breeders with an ounce of common sense and the slightest desire to sell a second litter would want to deal with Internet wrath or having random jerks showing up on their property? Not many, I suspect. People can barely sell a Playstation face to face without the transaction turning into a spy novel.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I thought pretty much all dogs could this - my GF and I have five smallish rescue mutts between us, and every one of them knows the basic words "up, treat, walk, out, ride, dinner", etc. I always figured almost all dogs that got enough human contact(i.e. not being exiled to a backyard all the time) would pick up the basics.

I'm only speaking out of my own experience, and I've owned a lab who was too retarded to learn anything other than "out" pretty much. So all I know for sure is that smart dogs, at least, can develop a pretty sophisticated vocabulary.

Aug 4, 2010

deerhound

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

wiener dogs also sometimes have bad metabolism. my friend has one and he's a fat lump

on the other hand they're cute and cartoony

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Great Pyrenees are the best dogs. Smart enough to train, but bred to be smart enough to ignore you if they think there is something more important to take care of.

A dog that will follow and obey because he trusts you to know whats right, not out of blind obedience.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Khazar-khum posted:

No matter what kind of dog you have, there's a few things to keep in mind.

You get the dog you train. I've trained several service dogs, and I can't stress this enough.

The average dog's IQ falls somewhere between 70-80. We know this because of a variety of tests and studies done over the years to try and understand how people learn. Dogs make the same kinds of connections that humans make, unlike primates. That's because we've co-evolved with them. It's a true symbiotic relationship. The very smartest dogs, Border Collies and Poodles, have an average IQ just like people. The big difference is that they have different drives motivating them. You probably don't think the entire yard needs to be checked every 10 minutes, but a Border collie does. That's why it's so critical to find jobs for these kinds of dogs. Otherwise they will make their own jobs, and you may not like what that job turns out to be. All dogs like having something to do, but some breeds are more intense about it than others.

Regardless, your dog wants to be with you, not alone in a yard or tied up somewhere. You'll get back what effort you put into a dog in ways that just can't be measured.

Smart dogs get depressed and stir crazy when you don't give them purpose? gee who could've deducted

but yes, pick the dog for the lifestyle you want p much~

I laugh at weeaboos who pick Shiba Inus because they're in for a seriously hellacious time

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

shiba inus are expensive as hell

btw did anyone suggest basset hounds yet? this basset is cooler than any of you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was out i. The country a couple of days ago and they had a half-chihuahua half-daschund and as i was leaving the fucker ran out ahead of my car and tried to run me down. Theyre retarded.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

Thanks for backpedaling from your position just enough to accommodate Khazar's needs.

Yes, there are terrible breeders, but the system as a whole presents a barrier to entry that is useful. It's unfortunate that it's mainly a financial barrier in the US, but it helps separate serious owners from dilettantes. Impulse buying is why you rarely see dogs in shopping malls anymore. If you're heavily invested, you have a tendency to try and get it right. Acquisition should be difficult.

What breeders with an ounce of common sense and the slightest desire to sell a second litter would want to deal with Internet wrath or having random jerks showing up on their property? Not many, I suspect. People can barely sell a Playstation face to face without the transaction turning into a spy novel.

pet island-like psychoyic indignity

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Y-Hat posted:

I too love slobber all over everything

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hemophilia posted:

pet island-like psychoyic indignity

Adorable and predictable.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
mutt

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Y-Hat posted:

i had to put down my basset last november

those dogs are not bred for survival and they have an insanely voracious appetite, they will EAT anything so you have to be careful and check that they're not eating something

my dumb basset ate a round pebble outside, the kind that you spread around in a garden. Had to get her stomach pumped.

The dumb bitch did it AGAIN a couple years after, and had to get her stomach pumped.

I mean jesus christ, they're very odd looking, can be cute but they're dumb af

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

My childhood lab ate about 20 cubic feet of rose bushes with giant rear end thorns. I'll never understand how he didn't gently caress himself up doing that, but he didn't.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Herding dogs need so much work that you might as well tell your parents you got a real grandkid, those assholes gotta play at the park or they eat your ottoman

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dely Apple posted:

Herding dogs need so much work that you might as well tell your parents you got a real grandkid, those assholes gotta play at the park or they eat your ottoman

Yeah but when they aren't pissed off with way too much energy they own. They bond really closely, they're smart as gently caress, and they will keep small children out of trouble.

One of the things that blew my mind when my folks got their first aussie was how visually oriented they are. I was used to labs which are much more smell-oriented. Going from that to a dog that will make eye contact when communicating, watch tv, or generally just stare at you or other interesting things was a major trip.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'll fuckin' kill you

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cartouche posted:

JR Terriers train YOU.

Jack Russel Terriers know exactly what you want them to do, they just don't want to do it.

Also they can live like 15-20 years. That's one reason small dogs are great, they live much longer than bigger breeds.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

RFC2324 posted:

Great Pyrenees are the best dogs. Smart enough to train, but bred to be smart enough to ignore you if they think there is something more important to take care of.

A dog that will follow and obey because he trusts you to know whats right, not out of blind obedience.

the most correct opinion in this thread, aside from my own

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
do never own an aussie or border collie, those dogs belong on farms

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Quantum Finger posted:

do never own an aussie or border collie, those dogs belong on farms

It's okay to own either if you will put in the effort of daily hour jogs and/or agility training classepfffahahaha who am I kidding, no one gets a high energy dog and actually does that. They get it because it's DAWW SO CUUUTE then toss it in a shelter when it becomes destructive or neurotic.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Cuckoo posted:

It's okay to own either if you will put in the effort of daily hour jogs and/or agility training classepfffahahaha who am I kidding, no one gets a high energy dog and actually does that. They get it because it's DAWW SO CUUUTE then toss it in a shelter when it becomes destructive or neurotic.

It's fine if you just loving walk them and otherwise don't neglect them. I was in charge of walking the aussie we had when I was a teen, and once I left the burbclave my parents just took over. It's good to get up off your fat rear end once a day anyway.

A twenty or thirty minute walk is enough for a medium-energy aussie, though more is better of course. I've known plenty of lazy suburbanite fucks that have handled it.

My mom is getting somewhat elderly now and is on her own since dad died in january, and still has a full time job. Her two aussies aren't nuts. Or at least, not most of the time. The male is so spoiled that he hates going outside unless there is something to chase or a walk to walk. I've seen the little wimp go out to pee and make a u-turn as soon as he hit the back porch cuz it was too hot/rainy/whatever. He'd even be fine as an apartment dog if you kept the once a day walking deal and didnt mind tripping over him every 5 seconds. Which are basically the same provisos he already comes with.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

those dogs are not bred for survival
same as every other pure breed tbh. boxers and labs have high cancer rates, dachshunds have spine problems, pugs have breathing problems, and english bulldogs have all sorts of problems including flatulence and being the dumbest dog breed

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Shiba inu

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Poor Eddie had the lead at the start

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Was about to, they are chill as hell unless you're a baby rabbit, then down the hatch you go. And they take up 75% of the bed somehow.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yo get a catahoula they are prob the smartest and nip like gently caress but they also make approx. 1,000 cute dog noises and don't cry every 2 hrs about how they want to go outside or eat food

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 14, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ratjaculation posted:

Poor Eddie had the lead at the start

i missed that

whoever trained that dog on Frasier was good

i wonder if eddie has a doggie mansion on beverley hills, haven't seen him do much acting these days

must be really well off

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lastgirl posted:

i missed that

i wonder if eddie has a doggie mansion on beverley hills, haven't seen him do much acting these days

must be really well off

they slaughtered and ate him in the finale, live on telly

kelsey grammer got a emmy for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lastgirl posted:

i missed that

must be really well off

Original Eddie died, then was replaced by his son. I think the son is dead at this point too though.

• Locked thread