Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Same with Mother energy drink. The ads were all about how it tasted completely different now because everyone hated the old flavour.
Yeah, it originally came in that silver can.
I thin Mother/Coke was the first brand in Aus to start pushing 500ml as standard size too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just enjoyed the weird whiplash in going from "STUFFED CRUST, YOU loving ANIMALS! WE GOT STUFFED CRUST!!!!" morphing to "We're a bit better than the rest, we're fancy because we drizzle sauces on our pizza (that was the gimmick right?)", but then near instantly returning to "STUFFED CRUST, BUT GARLIC KNOTS TOO! WE MADE STUFFED CRUST AND GARLIC KNOTS gently caress AND MADE A PIZZA WITH THEM!" and now apparently a giant rectangle for the Olympics.

Pizza Hut is a complicated brand, perhaps they themselves don't even know what they are.
The drizzle stuff was a fairly high profile marketing fuckup, sales went down presumably to analysis paralysis leading people to just get their pizza from Dominos or Papa Johns instead of trying to poll the family or workplace about what kind of drizzle everybody is going to agree on. I think they also had an uptick in quality complaints and poor store morale because of getting minimum wage pizza prep employees to try and manage a dozen different sauces and drizzles without cross contamination, which being liquids means its a lot more work to deal with than all the dry toppings.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

quote:

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1926: Epaphra is not good at ball games.

:iceburn:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
p'zone was a good dinner for $5 I wish they'd bring that back

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This was my favorite ad campaign in a long time. Just a progression of different people at a Domino's being all 'guys I swear to god we KNOW our pizza was hot trash before, but we're fixing it. Please just give us one more chance'.

Didn't Pizza Hut recently try to jack that idea? All I've seen from them lately has been them advertising a giant rectangle pizza for the Olympics but didn't they weirdly try to rebrand themselves as some kinda like...up-scaleish fast food place?

Pizza Hut tried to be better and appeal to millenia ls by creating really fancy, over priced artisinal pizzas designed by youtube stars.

It was a terrible idea. I think a lot of it is really just Pizza Hut hitting its limit. Between economic woes, the company being old hat, and people going to cheaper alternatives due to being broke they're trying to get blood from a stone. They want to grow but like...how can they? They aren't new or exciting and there is only so much money people spend on pizza.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was a terrible idea. I think a lot of it is really just Pizza Hut hitting its limit. Between economic woes, the company being old hat, and people going to cheaper alternatives due to being broke they're trying to get blood from a stone. They want to grow but like...how can they? They aren't new or exciting and there is only so much money people spend on pizza.

Didn't dominos change their name from "dominos pizza" to just dominos because they're trying to expand way more into things that aren't pizza?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, they made a big deal out of it even though people called them just Dominos anyway even when they were just pizza.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Simpsons were spot on about Dominoes

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Dominos just added salads to their menu and I ordered one last week. The delivery guy said "You'll have to let us know how this is! You're the first one to order it." It was pretty loving gross but I didn't tell them that because I would have had to act the least bit surprised and I couldn't pull that off.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

I always love these.

VI.14.20 (House of Orpheus); 4523 posted:

I have buggered men

It's like looking in a mirror.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder if they also had fetishes co opted by rightwing blowhards.

Oh my god sparta was the alt right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"This is madness!"

"Well, actually, this is Sparta."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That spicy honey crust they came out with around the same time as the drizzles was pretty good tho

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder if they also had fetishes co opted by rightwing blowhards.

Oh my god sparta was the alt right

The fear and fascination of cuckoldry by men of darker complexion goes back at least as far as Shakespeare, as far as I can personally attest and cite, and I suspect "cuck" has been an insult to men as long as men have walked the Earth and felt that women were property. I am confident a classicist can probably tell us the first time it appears in literature (it's probably related to the Maenads, if I had to guess, since they were the free-spirited cult of Dionysius)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hardcordion posted:

If you're someone who likes little cheap crappy surprises that you'll probably end up throwing in a drawer or the trash, just buy a kinder egg. At least then you'll at least get some nice chocolate.

You can also make a small bomb out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRXlBD2oV8

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hardcordion posted:

If you're someone who likes little cheap crappy surprises that you'll probably end up throwing in a drawer or the trash, just buy a kinder egg. At least then you'll at least get some nice chocolate.

Choco1980 posted:

Didn't you know? The US won't allow them.

Not those specific types, but you can buy eggs that meet the safety regulations. They're bigger, and there's a plastic ring so that the toy isn't completely covered. I'm not sure if they're up to par, but you could theoretically market a product that's as good as the Kinder Surprise eggs, just with toys that babies can't swallow.

https://www.amazon.com/Choco-Treasure-Everyday-Single-Pack/dp/B00BFNEC8W

(This is different than the actual Kinder eggs available in the U.S., Kinder JOY, which are just half a chocolate egg wrapped together with a toy.)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

The fear and fascination of cuckoldry by men of darker complexion goes back at least as far as Shakespeare, as far as I can personally attest and cite, and I suspect "cuck" has been an insult to men as long as men have walked the Earth and felt that women were property. I am confident a classicist can probably tell us the first time it appears in literature (it's probably related to the Maenads, if I had to guess, since they were the free-spirited cult of Dionysius)

I'm glad we have amateur historians like you, to answer the questions no one wants the answers to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

"Unis (Pharaoh, ~2400 BC) has appeared as Sobek, Neith's son. Unis will eat with his mouth, Unis will urinate and Unis will copulate with his penis. Unis is lord of semen, who takes women from their husbands to the place Unis likes according to his heart's fancy."

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Aug 14, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I suspect "cuck" has been an insult to men as long as men have walked the Earth and felt that women were property.
I don't think "fear of losing one's spouse to someone else" really requires that you think of them as property.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
This is McDonalds in Norway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-IhGu7om-Y

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think "fear of losing one's spouse to someone else" really requires that you think of them as property.

He had to get the dig in at those Reddit MRA fedoras

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

What does "til folket" mean?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Karma Monkey posted:

What does "til folket" mean?

To the people.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

They're pushing those all over Scandinavia at the moment and it's just the same sad euro burger with a few different stuffings. They're not as greasy or as big as the real US burgers, but who cares, it's mcdonalds.

It's regular mcd but with a weird americaboo twist in the advertisement

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Strudel Man posted:

Of course, it also requires that you're an MRA racist fedora wearing redditor.

What I get from this is that we should nuke Norway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's the "Architecture in Helsinki" blog made into a commercial. I want to hate it, but it's so serious, I can only laugh. I think if that played every 3rd or 4th commercial break, I would eventually have an aneurysm.

But by itself, hilarious

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Sorry to bring this back up, but I read through that whole mysterybox.com scam thread, laughed a bit, and then, out of curiosity, went to see if the site still exists.

Not only was I surprised that it does, but it looks like they are going to be trying the scam again as the site just says "MYSTERY BOX Coming Summer 2016 It's going to be a HOT summer."

As for marketing stuff, I really hate radio ads that use car horns or screeching tires in their ads, as it is unnerving to hear that while driving. Now my local station just started playing a new ad for a collision repair shop that has a blaring car horn with screeching tires. I loving hate said ad as twice it has come on while I am crossing traffic.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Sirens, tire screeching etc. should be illegal in radio ads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think a lot of agencies used to frown on radio ads with noises like that, but most recently I think the industry wide stance has become "oh please god, won't someone advertise on the radio we are practically giving spots away."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zedprime posted:

The drizzle stuff was a fairly high profile marketing fuckup, sales went down presumably to analysis paralysis leading people to just get their pizza from Dominos or Papa Johns instead of trying to poll the family or workplace about what kind of drizzle everybody is going to agree on. I think they also had an uptick in quality complaints and poor store morale because of getting minimum wage pizza prep employees to try and manage a dozen different sauces and drizzles without cross contamination, which being liquids means its a lot more work to deal with than all the dry toppings.

Drizzles and fancy crust were also a huge messup becasue the drizzles and fancy crust tasted bad. Like the best options were "plain crust" and "no drizzle" but you feel awkward scrolling past all these drizzles with fancy names and being like "yeah gimme the plain poo poo", so you'd usualy end up trying one of them on a lark, and then your pizza was ruined.

Chitin posted:

Agreed, that poo poo always throws me off.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Chitin posted:

I feel like early in this thread someone said that it was, but a cursory google search suggests that, at least in the U.S., the freedom to use obnoxious and potentially endangering sound effects for an advertisement is protected as if the commercial were a work of art, immune to censorship.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I feel like early in this thread someone said that it was, but a cursory google search suggests that, at least in the U.S., the freedom to use obnoxious and potentially endangering sound effects for an advertisement is protected as if the commercial were a work of art, immune to censorship.

The First Amendment does protect broadcast radio advertising, so the federal government is understandably hesitant to try to prevent sirens, car crashes, etc. from being used.

I can't remember any specific ones off the top of my head, but IIRC some more local jurisdictions have said "gently caress that, this is dangerous" and legislated against them anyway.

The radio group I used to work at was approached at one point by the city council in a pretty informal way and asked to cut stuff like that out, out of concern for area residents freaking out at the sound of screeching tires and then having accidents themselves (the real reason, of course, is "that poo poo is obnoxious as gently caress," but they had to have a more defensible justification for asking us to quit it). We agreed to comply, and everyone was happy...

...until we realized we had PSAs from the NHTSA themselves featuring screeching tires, car crashes, sirens, crying children, and crash victims saying "...help...meee..."

You can tell a client "Sorry, we can't put a siren in your ad for used furniture," but there's not a lot you can do about a PSA from the federal government.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

...until we realized we had PSAs from the NHTSA themselves featuring screeching tires, car crashes, sirens, crying children, and crash victims saying "...help...meee..."

:stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All you need is the right song and the customers will come marching in! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSbGXGtXQs

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not a dumb move:
https://m.facebook.com/arbys/

loving hell I gotta give it to them. The video game and TV references they make are simple, cute and don't feel like they're pandering too much. That's something you can definitely gently caress up if you try too hard or are out of touch but Arby's has done it rather well. Good on them.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
A fast food chain using video game nostalgia to sell its food sounds like the exact definition of too much pandering.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I mean obviously it's pandering but I said it isn't done TOO much in their case. Normally I'm inclined to agree but it just feels understated enough and they aren't over saturating the page either. Yeah it's cheesy but doesn't really bother me :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hardcordion posted:

A fast food chain using video game nostalgia to sell its food sounds like the exact definition of too much pandering.

Sneak King was brilliant though

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love this as long as it stays on their social media pages. If I saw one of those ads in real life or if they made meme-y nostalgia-bait commercials, I would loathe their marketing team. Not that my opinion matters to them, it's not like I can eat less Arby's than "none"

I did really like the papercraft Bender though, someone is either really trying, or really, really bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Arby's social media team posted the Steven Universe logo made out of potato cakes on a red background, and then when people in the comments started a chain of posting lyrics line by line, Arby's participated in the comments :3:

However, their marketing dedication to the color red also means they post Team Valor poo poo, which is like the Donald Trump of Pokemon Go teams.