Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SWERY is a super cool dude and it's proof of how lame the world is that he's not better known and celebrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Yardbomb posted:

SWERY is a super cool dude

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/716778252933574656

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
seems like a perfectly normal reaction to me

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
New Day is almost enough to make me consider watching WWE again. Almost. They just seem like some cool dudes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

New Day is almost enough to make me consider watching WWE again. Almost. They just seem like some cool dudes.

they just split the brands again

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Austin Creed (aka Xavier Woods from New Day) runs a gaming channel on YT called UpUpDownDown which is worth it just to watch wrestlers trash talk each other while playing Street Fighter or getting scared by Terror Lab.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

adamantium|wang posted:

Austin Creed (aka Xavier Woods from New Day) runs a gaming channel on YT called UpUpDownDown which is worth it just to watch wrestlers trash talk each other while playing Street Fighter or getting scared by Terror Lab.

This is fantastic and I never even heard of it before, thanks for giving me plenty of new time killin material.

Him and Kofi Kingston playing these goofy rear end horror games. :allears:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

adamantium|wang posted:

I loving hate (mark) Xavier Woods, but I legit love these Austin Creed videos. What a difference video games and no trombone makes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Basticle posted:

I'm several years late to the party but I just bingewatched SGF's Deadly Premonition LP which was amazing (both the game and SGF's presentation of it). I'm watching his LP of D4 and this game looks like garbage, c/d?

Watch SGF's Illbleed LP for the true face of horror

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
We Happy Few is apparently on steam early access, how long's it been out?

Anyone been playing it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Basically everyone I've spoken to says We Happy Few is one of the big crop of games that is a really interesting idea and could be super cool with more content and direction, but right now it's a pretty bland survival game without much to see or do, and where you're ravenously eating and drinking every 5 minutes and sleeping every 10.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well, that sounds about par for the course with early access.

I'll probably check back in with it somewhere down the line once it's been beefed up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WHF is kind of an interesting case as far as early access games go. I kind of wonder how it would have been received if it was half the price, right now I think people are mostly getting blowback from it still being what, thirty bucks? Aside from the price it seems like the perfect candidate for Early Access, a functionally working game that just lacks content.

I am just surprised how bad all the reviews are just because it's light on content, versus something like DayZ that was literally broken and had a ravenously defensive userbase

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
WHF also suffers from having an introduction that is drastically different from—and better than—the actual game. It's turning a lot of folks off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Listening to podcasts and stuff, majority of the negativity is that nobody knew what the game was like until now. I remember the pre-alpha from a whole year back and my initial thought was "wait, this is a survival game???" You look at all the videos and their big showing at E3 and the Bioshock pedigree and really nothing could prepare you for what the game actually is. Just another example of poor communication. They knew what their audience was expecting but I can't recall any attempt to drive the discussion. If I hadn't seen a random youtube video with 900 views released this day last year I would've dropped $30 day 1 and been disappointed as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The thing is the finished product will apparently actually have a story?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

The thing is the finished product will apparently actually have a story?

Yeah the actual game will have a story, right now it's closer to a tech demo than a full fledged game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the "story" is a general goal as the game already has quests of a sort but they're very generic "there's something weird over here, beat up three guys". They can't really have a coherent plot because you have the option of perma-death. You can pick up documents and stuff to give you lore on the world and that's probably the extent of it. Looking at its contemporaries Don't Starve does a similar thing where the story is told indirectly and Invisible, Inc is a roguelike with a opening movie and a final level with everything in the center being flavor text.

So expect a narrative, just not a linear one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah the actual game will have a story, right now it's closer to a tech demo than a full fledged game

they said this about long dark as well, like 2 years later and the story mode is still mostly ephemeral

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

they said this about long dark as well, like 2 years later and the story mode is still mostly ephemeral

Yeah that is the issue with EA games. Ultimately it's a gamble whether it's ever going to be delivered on

I need to replay The Long Dark, that was a "fun" game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they've done a good job of expanding the world and stuff - things are generally a lot more interesting now, and they have a couple of safeguards against doing the Strictly Optimal thing. the few seams the game had (like magically generating wood after a blackout) have also largely been papered over, so things generally feel pretty good now

it doesn't change the fact that it's just fighting entropy for 90% of the game, though. they have a couple of nifty challenge modes where you have to overcome specific gimmicks and those are fun and good, but game designers need to start taking to heart that i'm always going to have more fun with an actual sandbox than i am their sandbox game, because the sandbox is only constrained by time, space, and my imagination and their sandbox game is inevitably going to lack a lot of the details those things give me. so either give me a prompt and a goal to work toward or get off the stage for someone who will.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Because I don't know where else to mention in, anyone looking at SurvHive? Awful pun aside, it reminds me a lot of the old custom games in warcraft 3 and starcraft Parasite. So far no one seems to have any outstanding issues with it. (Yes, it's the sin of early access I know, but still)

Paranoia, betrayal, and murder sound like good times to me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SurHive definitely looks like a Thing game. I'm always down for that, especially after Outpost 13 turned out to be less good than I hoped.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Speedball posted:

SurHive definitely looks like a Thing game. I'm always down for that, especially after Outpost 13 turned out to be less good than I hoped.

Because I'm dumb with money, I went ahead and jumped in.

It is early access, as the game doesn't really explain anything. Essentially it is the Thing, with equal amounts of tentacle rape. The aliens can burst a tentacle from their crotch and infect someone while in human guise, or go full alien to attack with claws and nonsense. They win by infecting everyone. Humans don't win often with low player counts (There's not many playing atm) but they can A: succeed at enough events to get an evacuation event or B: be the last human alive and peace out on the shuttle. 4 classes of humans that all do different stuff, soldier for guns, engineer to fix poo poo and make things like turrets, scientists to get upgrades and cultists to be weird assholes.

It doesn't have the greatest balance yet, but I did have a few fun moments, one that comes to mind is a tense moment outside the armory where 3 of us were staring each other down with MGs. One of them takes a step back and says something like 'well the alien has to be one of you, so I'm gone'. Since pubs aren't intelligent enough for basic subterfuge, I turned and blasted the other guy. Sure enough, he was an alien. The other human stuck with me from there on till the rest of the server had gone alien and bumrushed us.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh. SurvHive is probably going to amount to a game of "Who's the Werewolf" with guns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, a couple months ago Alone in the Dark: Illumination got a patch (which I sure didn't expect) and I finally went around to checking it out. And you know what? The game actually feels much better. There were a bunch of little changes in the patch that are really nice, like actual damage indicators, and they look to have basically reworked the classes a bunch (I tried out the Hunter and the Witch). Oh, and those text intros? Now they have some super hammy voice overs that I'm not sure are good but that I'm loving. There's also some narration in the levels as well. I don't feel like I can call it a good game now, but it's way better than before, that's for sure, even if I still wouldn't choose it over Left 4 Dead.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i bought imscared since people lauded it in this thread and its only 4 bucks. i got to the part with the 4 mirror pieces, could only find 2, got bored looking and stopped. i heard theres an even more annoying part later, kind of thinking of getting a refund

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Relin posted:

i bought imscared since people lauded it in this thread and its only 4 bucks. i got to the part with the 4 mirror pieces, could only find 2, got bored looking and stopped. i heard theres an even more annoying part later, kind of thinking of getting a refund

the imscared demos were both really interesting when they came out but the full game is basically both of those stitched together with a small amount of new content. the puzzles are frustrating and most of your baked-in fanbase has done them before. it's like konami actually releasing silent hills and then it's mostly the hallway from pt with no changes.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Looks like there's a DLC coming for Layers of Fear, hope its a little less scripted than the base game.

It isn't, really; it's kinda more of the same, in that you walk around the house and find things to happen, and eventually walk to the end. If you liked the main game, I'd still recommend it though, as it does expand a little on the events of the first game.

I generally liked Layers of Fear, but I can see why a lot of people don't; it was touted by pretty much everybody based on how good and distinctive it was and how creepy its demos were, but when the full game came about, although it did pretty well critically (better than any Unity game I've heard of), it still got a lot of stick for being a haunted house so it was played once and left alone. Which is a bad thing, because not only are there are a lot of documents and other things to find (that actually effect the ending, of which there are three), but much like Gone Home, the real horror of the story is found only when you actually read things and try to piece the plot together, which only a few people (none of which are the usual Youtube suspects, apparently) are willing to do with a game. In short, it's a walking simulator a la The Chinese Room's output, and as a horror game, it therefore fails, but as a character study into a deeply hosed-up individual and the effect he had on those closest to him, it's pretty great actually. I liked it, anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If anyone pulled the trigger on We Happy Few, they just released a pretty decent patch that tunes up the survival mechanics to be less annoying, adds notes on the compass, and makes the "main quest" a bit more fleshed out, so it might be worth another shot. I like it so far.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm looking for first person horror games or horror themed games that actually have combat mechanics. I mean even into the more "atmospheric" realm of things just as long as it's well made. Things like condemned, FEAR, metro, alien isolation..

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head, there's Cryostasis (if you can find it) and maybe Prey, which should be coming out next year.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Betrayer is like Far Cry with ghosts. System Shock 2 is a no-brainer if you're into immersive sims.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

Send me a PM for help with the mirror part if you want

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Marshal Radisic posted:

Off the top of my head, there's Cryostasis (if you can find it) and maybe Prey, which should be coming out next year.

I really liked Cryostasis. But bear in mind many others hate it and it doesn't run that well. It's perfectly serviceable but it's an unstable 30-60fps. I also found it more of a "thriller" than horror.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for first person horror games or horror themed games that actually have combat mechanics. I mean even into the more "atmospheric" realm of things just as long as it's well made. Things like condemned, FEAR, metro, alien isolation..

Metro 2033. It has some *extremely* weird and spooky moments that took me by surprise. Some of the post-apocalyptic subway stations are actually haunted, and in a pretty weird way.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Speedball posted:

Metro 2033. It has some *extremely* weird and spooky moments that took me by surprise. Some of the post-apocalyptic subway stations are actually haunted, and in a pretty weird way.

I was going to make an addition saying Metro 2033's atmosphere has this sort of kitschy feel that breaks the immersion for me. It feels too much like stalker. I didn't really like its atmosphere although the gameplay is really fun. And yes I play with russian VO. The sequel had better production values so I think I'm going to maybe skip over to it. What I remember on the PS3 was great.

Dead Space or F.E.A.R. are both examples of great action games with really good pacing and atmosphere that create good immersion. And also degrade in quality with the sequels...

I wish they'd hurry with that Alien Isolation sequel if there is one... And give us a drat way to kill xenomorphs. For Now I'm probably going to just settle for F.E.A.R. 2. Gonna keep trying Outlast as well because I feel like I'm either not getting it or I just don't like games where you can't fight back. Cryostasis looks great though, just does seem hard to find.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 14, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FEAR 2 isn't that good. FEAR 3 is a good game but it makes an action leap like Dead Space 3 does. I enjoyed The Darkness 2 immensely but it's also an action shooter with some spooky moments.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I thought F3AR was pretty bad but the expansions for the original FEAR were alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

While I wouldn't describe it as horror, Oxenfree had some genuinely creepy moments.