Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

The problem I'm facing is that i think being on the road all the time will make it impossible to interview. I have already missed a group examination for a dwp job because I had travel booked in advance and there was no way to get out of it.

Also, I know it's easier to get a job when you have one, but if I can only apply to 1/4 as many jobs while I'm on the road vs job hunting full time, it might be a wash anyway. I know in general it's dumb to quit without a new job, but does it make sense in this specific situation?

Are you talking to any engineering recruiters? Those folks solve problems like this, they will set up phone interviews, and if you haven't botched those, the in-person interviews for a day you're in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
I have not, what is the best way to find one? And is it a thing where you have to commit to one, or can I have multiple recruiters shopping me around?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

I have not, what is the best way to find one? And is it a thing where you have to commit to one, or can I have multiple recruiters shopping me around?

You can use as many as you want

Don't pay for it either!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Start with one or two recruiters, you'll find them on linkedin, or if you're in a hot market, they'll start harassing you like moths to a light.

Some recruiters won't divulge the companies they are hunting for until you give them a resume, so have it ready. Also, don't be afraid to ask them for tips on how to sell yourself. They make their money by successfully getting your rear end on a seat at some firm who pays them to find folks.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

osker posted:

ill,
I've been using the Mollier from the back of the MERM for years. I used a hand scanner to get at it and I've been telling myself that I'd rescan it to get rid of the slight warp it has, but it works just fine as is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v3fuki4vlsj1ul/MOLLIER.pdf?dl=0

If you're sitting for the Thermal Fluids PE I strongly suggest getting a copy of Keenan and Keyes Steam tables. Not having to interpolate or calculate fg deltas is a crazy time saver in the exam. The books include a banging Mollier diagram that is 36"x42" but it is so detailed that resizing it to 11x17 makes it almost unreadable without a magnifying glass.

Thanks! This will help big time. I'm currently waffling between taking the Thermal Fluids/Mechanical Systems tests, but I'm leaning Thermal Fluids. I'll get the Keenan & Keyes book if I go that route, the detailed tables sound helpful.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

illcendiary posted:

Thanks! This will help big time. I'm currently waffling between taking the Thermal Fluids/Mechanical Systems tests, but I'm leaning Thermal Fluids. I'll get the Keenan & Keyes book if I go that route, the detailed tables sound helpful.

FYI, the Steam Table books were last printed in 1969-ish so you can get them used on amazon for like 5 bux a pop.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Out of curiosity, how badly would it go for me if I stuck a fork in a 115V/400 Hz power outlet?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gorman Thomas posted:

Out of curiosity, how badly would it go for me if I stuck a fork in a 115V/400 Hz power outlet?

Both sides or one side?

...It'd probably go worse for the aircraft maintainer whose circuits you hosed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The problem I'm facing is that i think being on the road all the time will make it impossible to interview. I have already missed a group examination for a dwp job because I had travel booked in advance and there was no way to get out of it.

Also, I know it's easier to get a job when you have one, but if I can only apply to 1/4 as many jobs while I'm on the road vs job hunting full time, it might be a wash anyway. I know in general it's dumb to quit without a new job, but does it make sense in this specific situation?
Don't quit. It makes no sense. Apply for jobs, go to interviews. If you need to, call in sick, "need to take your car in", etc so you can interview. Your first job is finding a new job, focus on that. Your second job, which you need, is as a field service engineer - you are free to half-rear end this, just don't get fired.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Don't quit. It makes no sense. Apply for jobs, go to interviews. If you need to, call in sick, "need to take your car in", etc so you can interview. Your first job is finding a new job, focus on that. Your second job, which you need, is as a field service engineer - you are free to half-rear end this, just don't get fired.

The issue is that calling in sick doesn't do any good if I'm in a different part of the country. I could call in sick, but my employer would tell me to go to the doctor/get some rest at the hotel in whatever state I'm in. For example, if I get a call on Monday, and the prospective company wants to schedule an interview for later in the week when I'm in bumfuck, nebraska or where ever, to make it to the interview I would have to cancel the whole trip and whole week's work. The other option is to schedule like 3 weeks in advance. Will potential employers be okay with that much lead time?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Both sides or one side?

...It'd probably go worse for the aircraft maintainer whose circuits you hosed.

Both sides. I asked one of our sys engineers and he shrugged and told me I'd probably die quickly.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gorman Thomas posted:

Both sides. I asked one of our sys engineers and he shrugged and told me I'd probably die quickly.

Its about the same as a home outlet. Why not test at home?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CarForumPoster posted:

Its about the same as a home outlet. Why not test at home?

Apparently the human body has slightly lower impedance at 400Hz than household 60Hz.

The real answer to the original question is that nothing would happen, because you've probably got a plastic fork on an airplane.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Enourmo posted:

Apparently the human body has slightly lower impedance at 400Hz than household 60Hz.

The real answer to the original question is that nothing would happen, because you've probably got a plastic fork on an airplane.

Science confirms humans are literally capacitors

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PRADA SLUT posted:

Science confirms humans are literally capacitors

Sorry lemme make an n-dimensional matrix for all possible points of contact, skin conductivity factors, weight, height, water/salt levels in the body...

As a first approximation it's fine, odds are the airplane socket would zap you just a tiny bit harder than household mains.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

The issue is that calling in sick doesn't do any good if I'm in a different part of the country. I could call in sick, but my employer would tell me to go to the doctor/get some rest at the hotel in whatever state I'm in. For example, if I get a call on Monday, and the prospective company wants to schedule an interview for later in the week when I'm in bumfuck, nebraska or where ever, to make it to the interview I would have to cancel the whole trip and whole week's work. The other option is to schedule like 3 weeks in advance. Will potential employers be okay with that much lead time?

Whet loving field do you work in where a potential employer won't let you schedule your interview time? If they propose a time that doesn't work you just say that you're busy then and propose an alternate time.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Do employers really care that much if you're out of work anymore? I'm in software so I know it's not the same but I haven't had a job for months and nobody I've interviewed with has asked about it at all, let alone seemed concerned.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I got hired for an out of college entry level position a year after graduation. Granted, I had a semester of grad school as an excuse, but there was still 4-5 months without anything going on.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

HondaCivet posted:

Do employers really care that much if you're out of work anymore? I'm in software so I know it's not the same but I haven't had a job for months and nobody I've interviewed with has asked about it at all, let alone seemed concerned.

They tend to care more in a couple situations:

• you've been unemployed for years, especially in a field where the state of the art is constantly changing
  • you have a spotty work history in general, rather than being laid off from one job you've held for a long time
  • the industry-wide/nationwide unemployment rate is high, so they can afford to be picky, and being currently unemployed is paradoxically one of the first disqualifiers

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I know this may seem like it belongs more in the resume/interviews thread, but I'm more interested in hearing from my fellow engineers on this one. Have any of you MAEs (if there are many of you floating around in here) had trouble getting interviews or jobs lately? I've been applying for what feels like a decade, but the only decent job prospect I had was for a company that was doing a mass-hiring and just seemed to invite everyone who applied.

I'm currently in O&G (who knows if I'll even still have a job here by the end of the day), but I live in a major aero hub, so relocation shouldn't be a factor or concern. I've been applying to these aero companies like it's nobody's business and I haven't even gotten a nibble. All this on top of the fact that a friend who worked HR at Grumman said my resume looked stellar... So wtf am I doing wrong?!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Also bear in mind that Skype interviews are a thing now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Noctone posted:

Also bear in mind that Skype interviews are a thing now.

A pretty popular thing too, I work for a huge company that does this

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

I've been applying to these aero companies like it's nobody's business and I haven't even gotten a nibble. All this on top of the fact that a friend who worked HR at Grumman said my resume looked stellar... So wtf am I doing wrong?!

Aero is not doing that well right now. My factory of 10,000 has 3 open positions... and those are unskilled labor.

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.
Yeah we have been in the boom portion of the aero cycle for way too long. I think a lot of companies are trying to get ahead of the inevitable downturn. The large company I work for is offering voluntary layoffs to cut costs.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I know someone at Boeing in Seattle and she said they weren't really doing any hiring right now either. Bleh.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's always the wild world of semiconductors lol. A surprisingly broad field of disciplines are needed, though entry level stuff may be hard to find.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How do you find out what sectors are doing good? Is this one of those mysterious benefits of networking or is there a way to glean it from the news?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you REALLY want to know, a lot of companies are publicly traded so you can find their quarterly earnings, projections, etc.

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.

Jyrraeth posted:

How do you find out what sectors are doing good? Is this one of those mysterious benefits of networking or is there a way to glean it from the news?

I think doing job searches with a very wide range can help you get an idea. Too often people only look in one geographic area and either aren't able/willing to move to a different area of the country that might be hiring in their field.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

HondaCivet posted:

I know someone at Boeing in Seattle and she said they weren't really doing any hiring right now either. Bleh.

Boeing shut down their facility in Wichita within the last few years and relocated several of their engineers to Seattle. I'd imagine they'll have a glut until the current group starts retiring.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Is aero overall really doing THAT bad? P&W is scooping up anyone with a degree and LHM seems to have thousands of openings on their website.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President
I think it's mostly just commercial aerospace that's slow right now but there are always exceptions. I do know Lockheed Martin ADP has advertised they are currently in full out hiring spree mode for work beginning in early 2017 if that interests anyone (~100 jobs).

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is aero overall really doing THAT bad? P&W is scooping up anyone with a degree and LHM seems to have thousands of openings on their website.

It took me 8 months to find an aero job when I graduated MAE (2012) and I ended as a software engineer at an avionics company. Have you tried systems engineering positions? The majority of the MAE people I graduated with are systems engineers now at Boeing/LM/NG.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

It took me 8 months to find an aero job when I graduated MAE (2012) and I ended as a software engineer at an avionics company. Have you tried systems engineering positions? The majority of the MAE people I graduated with are systems engineers now at Boeing/LM/NG.

Yeah, I try to apply to anything that requires a BS in aero or mechanical, which typically includes systems and project engineers. I probably wouldn't be a good fit in a software position though, as I only have a marginal background in VBA. Outside of that, I just haven't been having luck on any front :shrug:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Does anyone know much about going to grad school in engineering? I have a BS in ME but ended up doing unrelated work (software development) for the past five years after school but it hasn't really been a good fit over time so I'm interested in getting back into engineering. I had asked about work earlier in the thread and people suggested systems engineering which sounds cool but all my undergrad work experience was research rather than industry. I am strongly leaning towards a terminal MS rather than a PhD. How does having a MS change the work you do, your employability, etc. typically? If you did it yourself are you glad you did it or not? I'd want to study the areas of controls and mechatronics and such and I'd be looking at more R&D-ish jobs, maybe even jobs at like the national labs.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

neibbo posted:

I think it's mostly just commercial aerospace that's slow right now but there are always exceptions. I do know Lockheed Martin ADP has advertised they are currently in full out hiring spree mode for work beginning in early 2017 if that interests anyone (~100 jobs).

From what I've seen, both commercial and defense aero aren't doing too hot right now. The entire Airbus A380 product line is a stone's throw away from shutting down completely.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Couldn't that be more of a reflection on Airbus though? I mean, they did decide to make a plane that can only land in certain airports. I feel like it's a pretty niche market and they can only sell so many to begin with...

bred
Oct 24, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Does anyone know much about going to grad school in engineering? I have a BS in ME but ended up doing unrelated work (software development) for the past five years after school but it hasn't really been a good fit over time so I'm interested in getting back into engineering. I had asked about work earlier in the thread and people suggested systems engineering which sounds cool but all my undergrad work experience was research rather than industry. I am strongly leaning towards a terminal MS rather than a PhD. How does having a MS change the work you do, your employability, etc. typically? If you did it yourself are you glad you did it or not? I'd want to study the areas of controls and mechatronics and such and I'd be looking at more R&D-ish jobs, maybe even jobs at like the national labs.

I got my MSME a couple years ago while working. It was on my review as self improvement and got me another 5% on my raise the year I got my degree. I focused on control theory and heat transfer which rarely apply to my work in mfg. Now I teach part time at my school which is a lot of fun and probably the best return on the degree cost. The coursework was similar to my undergrad and very reasonable.

On the other hand, my coworker just quit to chase his master's full time because he was struggling with the schedule and going to a school pretty far from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

bred posted:

I got my MSME a couple years ago while working. It was on my review as self improvement and got me another 5% on my raise the year I got my degree. I focused on control theory and heat transfer which rarely apply to my work in mfg. Now I teach part time at my school which is a lot of fun and probably the best return on the degree cost. The coursework was similar to my undergrad and very reasonable.

On the other hand, my coworker just quit to chase his master's full time because he was struggling with the schedule and going to a school pretty far from work.

I'm guessing you did non-thesis track? It's cool to hear that you enjoy teaching though. :3: I'd probably go full-time and try to get a TA or something like that to cover the costs. I know that's harder for a terminal Master's though.