Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Following up from the Euro iPhone/Verizon Prepaid thing, I popped into one of the stores today to see what the options were. The guy put me on an hour long call with tech support who were generally nice guys who tried, but also admitted phones from outside of Vz and especially the US were difficult work.

It ended pretty much as well as it could have though - the tech put a note on my file saying that the SIM should work as the IMEI checked out fine, but there was no luck and I should be granted the $45 in credit as I can't use it. When the iPhone 7 comes out I'll probably get a normal contract through Vz, but I take it the stores don't get access to this system and thus won't see any notes. Am I best off giving them a call when preorders go up and sign up that way? Whatever is easiest for both me and carrier suits me best to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

EL BROMANCE posted:

It ended pretty much as well as it could have though - the tech put a note on my file saying that the SIM should work as the IMEI checked out fine, but there was no luck and I should be granted the $45 in credit as I can't use it. When the iPhone 7 comes out I'll probably get a normal contract through Vz, but I take it the stores don't get access to this system and thus won't see any notes. Am I best off giving them a call when preorders go up and sign up that way? Whatever is easiest for both me and carrier suits me best to be honest.

The general advice is to preorder from Apple you want it on or near launch day; the number of phones sent to carriers at launch is constrained since Apple prefers selling the phone themselves. Would it make more sense to open a new monthly plan account on Verizon via Apple preorder and try and transfer the credit to the new account (if that's possible of course)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Following up from the Euro iPhone/Verizon Prepaid thing, I popped into one of the stores today to see what the options were. The guy put me on an hour long call with tech support who were generally nice guys who tried, but also admitted phones from outside of Vz and especially the US were difficult work.

The stores could see the notes (company at least) if you have the account number to it.

Honestly, mileage will vary, a credit is always a call on the store/company end. My only input, you're way more likely to get the credit if you buy the phone/service from said Verizon company store. I know my manager would issue a $50 credit if the store is getting a new line of service. So I would talk to the store about it before signing up.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What will it cost me to end my contract now, if the contract end date is 10/12? Where do I go to find this? I want to move to google voice, but if it's too expensive to kill the contract now I'll just wait for it to end in a few months.

And is there any way to contact support through chat, instead of the useless goddamned "automated support assistant"?

quote:

If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device on or after November 14, 2014, your early termination fee will be $350, which will decline by $10 per month upon completion of months 7–17, by $20 per month upon completion of months 18–22, and by $60 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of your contract term.
Would it kill them to just put a table in there laying out the fees per month? What I'm gathering from this is that I'm drat near done with this thing and any termination fee I owe is going to be small, like $50 or less. That sound right?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 9, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

What will it cost me to end my contract now, if the contract end date is 10/12? Where do I go to find this? I want to move to google voice, but if it's too expensive to kill the contract now I'll just wait for it to end in a few months.

And is there any way to contact support through chat, instead of the useless goddamned "automated support assistant"?

Unknown, it goes down overtime. But probably over $100, so it's worth it to wait until October.

Just call care. 611 from phone, mash 0 a bunch times, live rep. They might let you port out and activate random new number to keep service going until October.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

jackpot posted:

Are you averse to calling them? They will be able to answer those kinds of questions quickly.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Wickerman posted:

Are you averse to calling them? They will be able to answer those kinds of questions quickly.
I like chat conversations because they give me something I can save for later if I need to reference it. I don't mind calling, I just don't want to be tied to my phone when I'm put on hold...which in this case was a very easy 2 minutes.

Anyway, the early termination fee is $140, so with one $75 bill (for june-july) about to come out on 08/12, that leaves 3 more months of bills, so I come out a little ahead if I cancel now. Although I guess if I wait a few days (8/13) I can save another $10 by making it through another month, yeehaw.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All these Verizon Nexus rumors are scaring me. I don't want a Moto Z situation where the unbranded device is GSM only and the only way to get one that works on Verizon is to buy through Verizon. Hopefully it's simply a case of needing to buy the carrier version only if you want to do a device payment plan.

If I can't get a completely unmolested Nexus on Verizon this year, that will be the final straw to push me to ATT. Loss of unlimited means there's nothing keeping me here anymore and I will never go back to a carrier branded handset after owning a MXP for a year. I get a corp discount on either ATT or Verizon so the cost is a wash. Every plan in existence has unlimited voice so mobile to mobile is no longer a consideration.

I just want to buy drat service from you Verizon, stop putting your grubby hands over devices.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

All these Verizon Nexus rumors are scaring me. I don't want a Moto Z situation where the unbranded device is GSM only and the only way to get one that works on Verizon is to buy through Verizon. Hopefully it's simply a case of needing to buy the carrier version only if you want to do a device payment plan.

If I can't get a completely unmolested Nexus on Verizon this year, that will be the final straw to push me to ATT. Loss of unlimited means there's nothing keeping me here anymore and I will never go back to a carrier branded handset after owning a MXP for a year. I get a corp discount on either ATT or Verizon so the cost is a wash. Every plan in existence has unlimited voice so mobile to mobile is no longer a consideration.

I just want to buy drat service from you Verizon, stop putting your grubby hands over devices.

Think that the unlocked one will still work on Verizon?

And yeah, they never learn the lesson on over controlling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Think that the unlocked one will still work on Verizon?

And yeah, they never learn the lesson on over controlling.

I don't know. It's impossible to guess until we get closer.

The Moto Z precedent scared me. I guarantee you, the conversation went something like this.

Lenmoto: We got this great new phone and it will be great for the Droid branding we have exclusivity on!

Verizon: Yeah, that looks good. About that though, I see you are selling it unlocked everywhere else.

Lenmoto: Yeah, but we're leaving the upper end model with the larger battery and shatterproof display as a Verizon exclusive.

Verizon: You know, the last flagship phone you released, you did this end run thing around us where released one model that could work anywhere. It was a real PITA in the stores when people tried to activate it. It also stole the thunder from the Turbo 2.

Lenmoto: Sales really weren't that high, I doubt many peo...

Verizon: Yeah, if you could go ahead and nerf the capability of the otherwise identical unlocked phone from being used on Verizon that would be great.

Lenmoto: I really don't think it will be an issue, most people buy their phones from the sto...

Verizon: That wasn't a request. If you want to keep Droid branding exclusivity, no unlocked variant of a Droid can work on our network. If it's capable of doing it, the FCC says we have to activate it. We do not wish to, so don't make it.

Lenmoto: What about this Moto G4 we have?

Verizon: That's a device for poors, Verizon network is the network for winners, we don't give a poo poo about that.

I just worry similar negotiating tactics went into bringing this "Nexus" in stores. Verizon could have easily dictated the axing of CDMA capability on the unlocked version (or had Google restrict the bands) so that they could sell one with a bootloader that can be unlocked loaded with Verizon bloatware.

It's also possible it may be a timed exclusive on Verizon (locked bootloader and all) and if you want an unlocked version, you'll have to wait.

Or, alternatively, maybe it's just going to be paying more for the otherwise same device with a Verizon logo stamped on it like the Nexus 6.

Won't know until October.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 10, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just an aside, but I'm on ULD and I think if Verizon sent everyone a note saying "Okay, we'll admit to it, we want to kill off Unlimited Data, and we're willing to offer you 100GB/month with the new rollover policy, for the $50 we've got you paying now, and we'll freeze that price forever simply because if you have ULD, it means you've been a loyal customer for a long time, and we want to keep you."

I might actually jump at that simply so I could have more flexibility in loving around with my current Frankenstein plan.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My mother died and trying to take over our family phone plan was an absolute nightmare and a half, then the Verizon tech went out of his way to break all the little grandfathered particulars my mother had spent a decade working out. No way to undo it, went as far with a formal complaint as I could, mostly just bitching.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why is your entire post in spoilers? Don't do that.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/verizon-has-a-plan-to-make-the-android-bloatware-problem-worse/?comments=1

TL;dr: Verizon is selling companies the ability to add protected bloatware to android phones at $1-2 per device.

This is one of the worst things I've heard from verizon since they killed unlimited. If I weren't grandfathered I'd be switching. How does a phone carrier feel like it can get away with charging MORE for its service than its competitors and also try poo poo like this? You can gently caress me one way or the other, but how dare you do this both ways and expect to get away with it?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
It looks like Verizon is currently advertising 2GB/line in bonus data on the Verizon Plan - is there any way to take advantage of this promotion as an existing customer currently on a More Everything plan? The extra data would finally be worth giving up the $15/mo access charge.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Stutes posted:

It looks like Verizon is currently advertising 2GB/line in bonus data on the Verizon Plan - is there any way to take advantage of this promotion as an existing customer currently on a More Everything plan? The extra data would finally be worth giving up the $15/mo access charge.

I just looked at this myself. Be aware the small print states you have to get the "L" plan (8gb / $70 a month) at minimum.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stutes posted:

You have to do a phone purchase on device payment to get the 2GB.

So say you switch the the 8GB, and you have 4 lines and 1 person upgrades. You would have 8+2=10GB. If 4 do you would have 8+8=16GB.

You can pay off the device payment at any time, but you are essentially adding that cost to your plan.

And yes, 8GB or higher plan. The promo won't apply to anyone upgrading on any older plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/verizon-has-a-plan-to-make-the-android-bloatware-problem-worse/?comments=1

TL;dr: Verizon is selling companies the ability to add protected bloatware to android phones at $1-2 per device.

This is one of the worst things I've heard from verizon since they killed unlimited. If I weren't grandfathered I'd be switching. How does a phone carrier feel like it can get away with charging MORE for its service than its competitors and also try poo poo like this? You can gently caress me one way or the other, but how dare you do this both ways and expect to get away with it?

This is a terrible idea yes.

They describe it as the app would download after device activation. Not sure if anyone here has activated a new phone lately, but there's like, 4 games that Verizon already does this with (the one i remember is called Panda Pop and I think another is Empire of Kings). I kept seeing the apps suddenly show, and finally remembered to check after turning on and they def are not there at unboxing, but show up a min or two after the phone is programmed and makes it past the initial phone setup.

So who knows if that's a similar deal or not (probably), but yeah, Verizon is already doing it and most customers just leave the apps untouched in the app drawer (they'll remove the shortcut). The apps are uninstallable.

Drives me nuts though, they all look so scammy. The worst is when they are being downloaded on something like a Galaxy J3 which only has 8GB of storage.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

So a few pages back I asked about porting my number to Google Voice, it's a good idea, I'm going to do it. So I go to voice.google, go to options, and...there's my phone number, already there. I guess I already added this number to Voice years ago (at least 5 or so, because the carrier is listed as Sprint) and just never used it for anything. So what do I do now?

Under registered phones, that's my current number. Should I delete this phone and re-add it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

So a few pages back I asked about porting my number to Google Voice, it's a good idea, I'm going to do it. So I go to voice.google, go to options, and...there's my phone number, already there. I guess I already added this number to Voice years ago (at least 5 or so, because the carrier is listed as Sprint) and just never used it for anything. So what do I do now?

Under registered phones, that's my current number. Should I delete this phone and re-add it?

Do you have Sprint Google Voice integration? That could change what I am recommending below.

You don't have it ported to Google Voice, you just have it synced to it. Essentially its currently an option you could use for Voicemail and its a number to forward that 804 number to.

So your Google Voice number is actually that 804 number. So what you would have to do is remove your main number from there and also release the 804 number. Then you can port your regular number from whatever carrier you have to Google Voice. But you can only have on number registered to Google Voice. You can forward to multiple numbers, but only have one number on a google account.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That makes sense, thanks. And yeah, it's slowly coming back to me - I signed up for it back when the neat new feature was visual voicemail and voicemail transcriptions (which I used for five minutes before never looking at again), so syncing is probably all I did.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a terrible idea yes.

They describe it as the app would download after device activation. Not sure if anyone here has activated a new phone lately, but there's like, 4 games that Verizon already does this with (the one i remember is called Panda Pop and I think another is Empire of Kings). I kept seeing the apps suddenly show, and finally remembered to check after turning on and they def are not there at unboxing, but show up a min or two after the phone is programmed and makes it past the initial phone setup.

So who knows if that's a similar deal or not (probably), but yeah, Verizon is already doing it and most customers just leave the apps untouched in the app drawer (they'll remove the shortcut). The apps are uninstallable.

Drives me nuts though, they all look so scammy. The worst is when they are being downloaded on something like a Galaxy J3 which only has 8GB of storage.

If they did that on my iPhone I would dump them immediately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone on another forum just told me that Verizon dropped the M2M line discount if you're on a More Everything plan once the device is paid off. Has anyone else heard this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Three-Phase posted:

If they did that on my iPhone I would dump them immediately.

There's a fantastic thread in gbs about how much iPhones suck and are for simpletons, while android users just put up with this constant poo poo.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's a fantastic thread in gbs about how much iPhones suck and are for simpletons, while android users just put up with this constant poo poo.

IPhones are far from perfect, but I've heard lots of Android horror stories about weird crap like viruses on the phone. It's mental.

It's not perfect again but there's nothing really irritating or weird that the iPhone does. It's very hands-off and chill most of the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

IPhones are far from perfect, but I've heard lots of Android horror stories about weird crap like viruses on the phone. It's mental.

To be fair, if someone gets a virus on an Android phone it's usually because they rooted their phone, enabled unsecure installs, and didn't take the time to install proper security or keep their ROMs current. It's why I no longer root my phones, but my tablets I go to town on. Rooting a phone and using Samsung Pay or keeping banking apps on it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Three-Phase posted:

All this says to me is that the iPhone malware is less obvious and more successful.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

All this says to me is that the iPhone malware is less obvious and more successful.
Wrong, at least according to security researchers. Compared to iOS, Android malware is still significantly more prevalent and successful (97% in a 2013 study). What's difficult to nail down is the actual overall infection rate, which could be much lower than some state. This study, for example, mentions that it's sub-1% on Android:

https://arc.applause.com/2015/09/21/android-malware-infection-rates/

So it's not really a huge issue for the average user who's just using their phone as intended. As far as we know there aren't massive trojan networks out there that actually managed to use the highly publicized exploits over the last year or so like Stagefright. Those media stories still leave impressions on consumers though, as you can tell.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 19, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That's why I want to go IOS. I'm tired of all the bundled garbage and stripped out features. Android isn't more customizable for me, it's more customizable for Verizon. Updates take 6 months to come down to us and somehow nobody figured out it made the phone operate worse in that time, then the carrier, Google, and OEM all point fingers until it's time to gently caress up the phone again.

I'm done with my LG G3. The wifi doesn't work. It reboots the phone if I try to use it. I normally work around this, but Spotify likes to try to turn it on and it was bootlooping when I needed the GPS and I'm frankly tired of its poo poo.

I moved my SIM card to my old Galaxy S3, also a Verizon phone. Everything works. Do I need to tell Verizon I'm doing this? Do they care as long as the bill gets paid?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Or, you could just buy a Nexus device and not have to deal with the garbage too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Or, you could just buy a Nexus device and not have to deal with the garbage too.

Yeah, if I stick with Android that's where I'll probably go.

Some of them IIRC were made by LG. Fool me once...

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, if I stick with Android that's where I'll probably go.

Some of them IIRC were made by LG. Fool me once...

Nexus phones are no guarantee of anything other than no bloatware crap. My Nexus 6P disappointments me daily, yet is still the best choice for Android. That's kinda scary and sad, cause I really do like Android.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Nexus phones are no guarantee of anything other than no bloatware crap. My Nexus 6P disappointments me daily, yet is still the best choice for Android. That's kinda scary and sad, cause I really do like Android.

I'm interested in hearing your disappointments - I love my 6p.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I spoke with Verizon a few months ago to ask if my bill would go down when my 2 year contract expired, and they told me it would go down $25/month. Then, I guess they changed the policy and put a stop to that discount and would only give me this discount called "$15 Off Month to Month" on my bill.

Would I lose this discount if I now upgrade to a new phone on a monthly installment plan, or is it only a contract thing? Basically, if I went to Target and bought a note 7, am boned?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Verizon shitted up the Note 7.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/verizons-galaxy-note-7-another-example-carriers-interfering-no-good-reason/

We are getting to the point where we need more regulatory oversight. Carriers really need to be forbidden from having any influence in hardware and all phones should be sold unbranded and unlocked.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Annnd this is exactly why I want to go Apple even though I don't have anything against Android specifically.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
Figure I'd ask this again since its been a few weeks - any better understanding of the data threshold for those that pay for the unlimited hotspot, in addition to unlimited data, before the line is terminated? Is it still "100 gigs", or is this cap increased due to the extra spend. I know people use more and are currently fine, but if I can save $30 because it's a "100 gig" cap no matter what I'd rather stop wasting money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

chicagobutters posted:

Figure I'd ask this again since its been a few weeks - any better understanding of the data threshold for those that pay for the unlimited hotspot, in addition to unlimited data, before the line is terminated? Is it still "100 gigs", or is this cap increased due to the extra spend. I know people use more and are currently fine, but if I can save $30 because it's a "100 gig" cap no matter what I'd rather stop wasting money.

The best indication we've been given is that ritual overuse can get you a nastygram. Even at $50/month it's a deal over the 100GB/month plan.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The best indication we've been given is that ritual overuse can get you a nastygram. Even at $50/month it's a deal over the 100GB/month plan.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Verizon shitted up the Note 7.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/verizons-galaxy-note-7-another-example-carriers-interfering-no-good-reason/

We are getting to the point where we need more regulatory oversight. Carriers really need to be forbidden from having any influence in hardware and all phones should be sold unbranded and unlocked.

iPhone supremacy right here.

• Locked thread