Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Geniasis posted:

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent some time trying to remember when Goku attempted to kill his future wife and daughter before I realized you meant shonen's other famous absentee father.

so vegeta in gt, clearly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goku would rather get stronger and fight strong dudes than stay with his family, but when he can do so while also staying with his family he is perfectly content. sasuke avoids his wife and child because he doesn't like them very much.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

goku would rather get stronger and fight strong dudes than stay with his family, but when he can do so while also staying with his family he is perfectly content. sasuke avoids his wife and child because he doesn't like them very much.

that's sad. sorry i haven't read much in the naruto spinoffs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

smell this posted:

that's sad. sorry i haven't read much in the naruto spinoffs

salad gaiden is wonderful and you should read it.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Doresh posted:

Was it ever explained why he told nobody? Did he find it amusing to be bossed around by lesser Arrancar?

He was the nihilist. He didn't see the point, and probably always figured Aizen was gonna slaughter all of them one day anyways.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bacontotem posted:

He was the nihilist. He didn't see the point, and probably always figured Aizen was gonna slaughter all of them one day anyways.

Well he wasn't wrong on that last point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aizen obviously stacked the espada numbers to keep his psychos under control.

Starrk isn't going to cause any trouble and he's super strong, so make him #1. That way the ladder-climbing nuts will bother him instead of Aizen.

Barragan wants minions, so he'll get pissed if he isn't near the top. Make him #2.

Harribel is the only sane espada, so make her #3 so she can boss the others around.

Ulq is possibly the strongest one, but since he doesn't care about rankings, make him #4. Also 4 is the super cool death number so that's bitchin'.

As for the others, the ones who want to get higher in the rankings can fight each other for slots 5-9 all they want, it's not like they actually really matter.

Yammy is dumb and needs a confidence booster, so tell him he's secretly #0.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you are confusing how aizen pretends he is a devious mastermind with how he is really a dumb posturing thug.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At least Orihime didnt get knocked up by the ultimate absentee father, Winner of most absent father 10+ years running and who got an additional lifetime achievement award for his attempts at killing his future wife and then his daughter.

But we havent seen the epilogue yet.

Holy poo poo kubo what wonders will you show us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Sasuke avoids his wife and daughter because he doesn't like himself very much

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elfgames posted:

Sasuke avoids his wife and daughter because he doesn't like himself very much

Well at least he has a correct opinion of himself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

slev posted:

That pairing was really popular in Japan but that isn't really surprising when Sasuke/Sakura is also a popular thing

it was popular over here as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SyntheticPolygon posted:

it was popular over here as well.

So was Katara/Zuko in avatar when up until the last season the only real interaction the characters had was basically trying to kill each other. Nerds are dumb.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
for at least half the time I read bleach i've always wondered how it could've been good if someone competent started writing it midway through the SS arc but before aizen's one finger blade stop

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Nuebot posted:

So was Katara/Zuko in avatar when up until the last season the only real interaction the characters had was basically trying to kill each other. Nerds are dumb.

This is also why they think CIvil War is better than Winter Soldier.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bacontotem posted:

Oh well, at least he held back on annoying speeches about the darkness in his heart. Or maybe I have purposely forgotten those.

Nuebot posted:

But they had such great chemistry in the well-researched theater version. It must be true!

Man, imagine if the anime did return, but it was just the entire cast watching a very bad theatrical performance of the final arc. Aka it's just the final arc, but the characters are MST3King while it happens.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

yaay posted:

for at least half the time I read bleach i've always wondered how it could've been good if someone competent started writing it midway through the SS arc but before aizen's one finger blade stop

The real tragedy is no matter how well they continued the plot, how nuanced the factions, even if they wrapped up character plots satisfyingly, it'd never have the aizen one finger blade stop. So it would never be as good as if it did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What was the exact moment when y'all realized this series was going to poo poo.

For me it was the Szayel fight.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

Oh Snapple! posted:

For me I still was mildly enjoying it until the end of decide and then the fullbringer nonsense.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Oh Snapple! posted:

why me sad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

yaay posted:

I kind of like to imagine if the story had continued on to a mystery arc about finding Aizen's killer instead of whatever it became.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think somewhere in the fake kurokoro arc or whatever, what I recall the most was ice boy fighting some black lady with a shark power that made me go "...this barely matters and we're gonna get a month of it because Every character gets their own moment no matter how small they are.", though I was starting to dig the Fullbringer stuff and the first year of the war arc was exciting since it was pretty neat and also had the "this is the end" stuff going on. Then we got Ichigo and Renji going to a hotspring and I just couldn't take it anymore.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Probably the Fake Karakura Town arc. But there was also a lot of stuff before that which sucked as well.

Actually did the Ulq fight happen before Kubo jumped to Fake Karakura for like a year? Because if that happened first it was definitely the Ulq fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was never any one thing that made me think "hmm, this is bad now". it was a slow decline over time, basically from the second the ss arc ended and ichigo went home. the fullbringer arc was when I decided that it was never gonna get better tho

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Around the time when I thought to myself 'hey actually the filler was better than this'.

So once the kanonji karakura heros episodes started being filler

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I like Chad, so I believe I started reading Bleach for the trainwreck around when Chad got knocked out by Nnoitra.

Edit: Right after he got his 'power up', no less.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It got pretty silly in the hueco mundo/karakura arc but I was okay with it because things were wrapping up since Aizen is clearly the final boss of the manga.

then the fullbring arc happened for no loving reason

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was never any one thing that made me think "hmm, this is bad now". it was a slow decline over time, basically from the second the ss arc ended and ichigo went home. the fullbringer arc was when I decided that it was never gonna get better tho

Basically this. After the end of Soul Society, a full year's worth of chapters occurred between ariving back home and plans to capture Orihime. So, like no character development, the vizord and their training, the fight with yammy and the brisk appearance of Grand Fisher, and the fights with filler arancar, including baldy getting his Bankai, Rukia's shikai, and soul reaper shenanigans.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man Bleach ends tomorrow and I can honestly barely remember anything post Soul Society.

I doubt I'll ever forget any of the early openings or endings until I go senile, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJ8xRYDTOA

I remember seeing the first episode on YTV and thinking how loving cool Ichigo was. There were different anime I'd seen before then, but Bleach was the one that pulled me into it and the first thing I wanted to watch so badly I looked up on youtube and watched it with subtitles.

Bleach was cool, you guys :allears:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 15, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
While Bleach started to decline post SS, the point where the series took a headfirst dip to me was when Aizen singlehandledly instagibbed every single Captain.

While it may sound like a cool way to hype your final boss, it also shows that Aizen was hugging the Idiot Ball really tight.

He spent gently caress knows how many years recruiting mooks that he ended up watching get offed or offing them himself, and the only one who he actually gave a use to was Wonderweiss.

The moment Aizen pwn3d all of the Captains in one sweep at the start of Deicide it instantly retconned the whole Fake Karakura Arc as completely pointless.

"Since when where you under the impression I was not using Kyoka Suigetsu?"

Since when indeed. Even if the Espada turned out to be complete poo poo, he could have assisted them by using Kyoka Suigetsu so that they may caught the Captains offguard and beat them. Then he would have been able to invade Soul Palace full force. Sure, Nimaiya's Sword that Cuts would have probably taken care of all 10 of them, but it would have given Aizen and Tosen (and Gin depending on how far he was willing to go with his charade) enough time to outgambit the King's Guard.

Even pawns have their uses and you don't want to sacrifice them all to clear the path for the Queen to go "SWOOSH! SWOOSH! SWOOSH! all across the board, exposing her to be killed. Which is exactly what happened.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man Bleach ends tomorrow...

It doesn't end this Monday. It ends next Monday. All of the fansubbers get the SJ scans before they are officially released in Japan through leaks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

It doesn't end this Monday. It ends next Monday. All of the fansubbers get the SJ scans before they are officially released in Japan through leaks.

It'd be fun to keep a running total of the people that forget and message Kubo about it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

lezard_valeth posted:

While Bleach started to decline post SS, the point where the series took a headfirst dip to me was when Aizen singlehandledly instagibbed every single Captain.
Aizen could own everyone except he wasn't coupled with Aizen was behind everything also Aizen had a hoagie first also Aizen Aizen Aizen was the point where Bleach started peeling back the layers of the onion to find a soggy but smug Aizen face within. It's common to wonder with fiction is the writer stole someone else's ideas and then couldn't come up with anything else but Bleach really makes me wonder.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It's common to wonder with fiction is the writer stole someone else's ideas and then couldn't come up with anything else but Bleach really makes me wonder.

There's an argument to be made that whenever Kubo ran out of ideas he just riffed off YYH.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aizen was so bad and terrible. So much so that I almost forget that his initial reveal was actually pretty good.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

While the rest of the SS arc was pretty good, turning Rukia into an emo princess in a castle for the entire duration is still my least favorite thing Kubo has done. Every other entertaining character also ended up getting Rukia'ed eventually, so to me that's where it all started going south.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty sure that aizen's entire character was made to justify two dramatic moments: when he revealed that he was the evil mastermind and when he stopped ichigo's sword with one finger. his illusions are incredibly dumb but they needed to be that dumb so that kubo could pull off the "harmless dead guy was the real enemy all along" thing. likewise, aizen needed to be ridiculously overpowered so he could block that sword, even though nothing he had done up to that point implied he was particularly strong. so, my theory is that kubo thought up that scene, thought it was cool (it actually kind of was), and then worked backward from there so that he could get the story to that cool scene.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Speaking of, what was that thing in the SS arc they thought the villian was originally after? It turned out to the maguffin in Rukia's body, but didn't they think at first it was that loving super zanpaktou that was was only unsealed for executions?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xy Hapu posted:

While the rest of the SS arc was pretty good, turning Rukia into an emo princess in a castle for the entire duration is still my least favorite thing Kubo has done. Every other entertaining character also ended up getting Rukia'ed eventually, so to me that's where it all started going south.

idk what you mean there, rukia had a pretty legit reason to be unhappy that arc but she was still able to troll renji and have more emotional responses than "I'm sad". bleach also went into her Tragic Backstory™ at that point, using her current situation to expound upon a previous low point in her life. it was handled way better (and more in character) than, say, orihime. there was also the plot point of the hogyoku being planted inside her, making her rescue an actual important plot point outside of her just being ichigo's buddy, again unlike orihime whose relevance amounted to aizen lying about her being relevant

those are the only two that had an arc about how they need to be rescued

JDRockefeller posted:

Speaking of, what was that thing in the SS arc they thought the villian was originally after? It turned out to the maguffin in Rukia's body, but didn't they think at first it was that loving super zanpaktou that was was only unsealed for executions?

yea they thought someone was gonna use the big pole phoenix to do something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a reasonable assumption, since no one could have predicted that some dude would randomly be the strongest man (ghost) to ever (ghost) live.

• Locked thread