Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

It's fun hearing the commentary of the player(s) I watch

Get this: playing the game is even more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

maybe its ok to not dogpile on the dude who technically has both played the games and seen the story

Slur posted:

On the note of Falcom games which aren't Ys or Trails, I've been working my way through Brandish: The Dark Revenant on the side. I'm just wondering if the game continues to remain tedious, or if the challenges are mixed up the further you make your way down the dungeon.

it mixes things up quite a bit but if you're not enjoying it you should probably stop. how far are you?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Slur posted:

On the note of Falcom games which aren't Ys or Trails, I've been working my way through Brandish: The Dark Revenant on the side. I'm just wondering if the game continues to remain tedious, or if the challenges are mixed up the further you make your way down the dungeon.

It reaches a maximum tedium point at the darkness area which is thankfully kind of short. But yeah, where are you

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The last thing I want in an RPG is for the final boss to have an insane amount of HP. The last few bosses in SC were like that, I figured out the strategy and was able to keep myself alive no problem but the fights went on forever and it was a drag. And then there were more forms of the same thing. More HP doesn't equal tough fight.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah, good hard bosses require you to find a good strat to balance being able to take the damage/effects they dish out while being able to dish out your own, bad hard bosses do this but make you do it for like 30+ minutes because of a giant hp pool.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Overbite posted:

The last thing I want in an RPG is for the final boss to have an insane amount of HP. The last few bosses in SC were like that, I figured out the strategy and was able to keep myself alive no problem but the fights went on forever and it was a drag. And then there were more forms of the same thing. More HP doesn't equal tough fight.

Oh yeah, I remember my feeling when I discovered there was a second form to the already aggravatingly long final boss, and that it was pretty much exactly the same but with more HP. I think it was something akin to a mix of boredom and despair. I mean really, 200k HP? You can't reliably deal numbers higher than like 3k in SC (at least in my experience, since that's about what Joshua was doing with his double strike while all buffed up on attack. It's been a while), so calculating just based on that, it's about 70 turns off those alone, not to mention all the maintenance you'll be performing with reupping buffs and so on. Just, ugh.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It doesn't help that the Trails battle system is really bad at keeping fights interesting once the player has gotten their footing. The battles I remember most fondly were against road monsters and robber trappers and enemies like that, where there's just too much damage coming in to cast all your buffs and debuffs and get to a state of equilibrium. Some of the game's boss fights seemed aware of this... but some didn't.

Also whose Patreon do I have to dump a bunch of money in to get the Trails in the Sky manga fan-translated, I mean drat. It looks pretty decent too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nrook posted:

Also whose Patreon do I have to dump a bunch of money in to get the Trails in the Sky manga fan-translated, I mean drat. It looks pretty decent too.

I've been considering it, since I have the whole series, but I have a lot on my plate right now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first few chapters of the manga have been tled in the past. it's ok, not great but ok

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, that was the impression I got from the first few translated chapters as well. But a decent adaptation combined with my residual affection would be enough for me to really enjoy it.

I did see the author did something really interesting with the first bit of SC: Estelle goes to Ruan alone, rather than being accompanied by Schera or Agate. It's a nice way to play to the theme of loneliness. The game had to give her a companion, largely because the battle system wouldn't work with a lone hero, but there's no need for an adaptation to do likewise.

Some Numbers posted:

I've been considering it, since I have the whole series, but I have a lot on my plate right now.

Well, if you wind up doing so, PM me and I'll buy you Sky 3rd or a case of beer or something.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Ring of Judgement interquel Manga set between Sky and Zero that Translation Tuesday did is both extra good and gets referenced in the second drama cd on the cold steel 2 site. (which I peeked at because I'M WEAK.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Colonel posted:

the first few chapters of the manga have been tled in the past. it's ok, not great but ok

I've read a good chunk of it and while it's basically the same story, there are some pretty interesting differences. I keep meaning to sit down and read through and compile the differences, but I haven't gotten around it yet.

nrook posted:

Well, if you wind up doing so, PM me and I'll buy you Sky 3rd or a case of beer or something.

Before you get your hopes up too high, doing an actual fan translation with English text on the manga pages would be far more work than I'm willing to commit to.

Story summaries and dialogue translations I can do, though likely worse than SpaceDrake.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Before you get your hopes up too high, doing an actual fan translation with English text on the manga pages would be far more work than I'm willing to commit to.

Story summaries and dialogue translations I can do, though likely worse than SpaceDrake.

Yeah, dialogue translations I could have open in another window while reading the untranslated work would be fine; cleaning scans is of course really hard and not a lot of fun. And Trails SC has one of the best (maybe the best?) localization I've seen in a game, so you could be quite a bit worse than that and still do a decent job!

e: not that I'm really in a position to judge how good the localization in superlative terms, since I haven't played it in Japanese... well, it's definitely quite good, at least

nrook fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 16, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nrook posted:

Yeah, dialogue translations I could have open in another window while reading the untranslated work would be fine; cleaning scans is of course really hard and not a lot of fun. And Trails SC has one of the best (maybe the best?) localization I've seen in a game, so you could be quite a bit worse than that and still do a decent job!

Well, I have some extra time right now so let me see what I can get done this week.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II will release September 6th.

So y'know.

Get hype and whatnot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II will release September 6th.

So y'know.

Get hype and whatnot.

Is this for real?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Is this for real?

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/765641721040539648

Press release got sent to news outlets this morning, official announcement probably later today.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yup xseed announced it, not another placeholder

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

gently caress YES

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/765646122027057153

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
gently caress yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Important news regarding one of our most beloved NPCs via one of the games translators:

https://twitter.com/Disgaeamad/status/765646676178636801

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
YESSS! I haven't finished CS1 yet. so being able to go into CS2 that soon is great.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Nice, that's way earlier than I expected. Now I just have to decide which character to dance transfer, the hardest of decisions even if it only ends up affecting one or two scenes. My gut says Sara or Crow but my heart says Laura.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Decus posted:

Nice, that's way earlier than I expected. Now I just have to decide which character to dance transfer, the hardest of decisions even if it only ends up affecting one or two scenes. My gut says Sara or Crow but my heart says Laura.

Laura erryday.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Time for another adventure with Rean and his merry band :getin:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/765649768475353089

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hatsuu: Perpetually out of the loop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This and Ace Attorney 6 are released 2 days apart, my life is only video games this september

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I know Europe's launch is in roughly the same window as the US one, so let's hope it's not too far behind. Guess I may as well import if it's more than a few weeks, since Vita games are cheaper in the US and Canada anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Europe is November 11th, it was weirdly announced by NIS a while ago and nobody noticed

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Europe is November 11th, it was weirdly announced by NIS a while ago and nobody noticed

I'll probably import then, but as I've just been reminded, Ace Attorney and Steins;Gate 0 both come out in September too, so I guess I'd hardly be short of things to do if I didn't.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I look forward to myself, Cake Attack and Some Numbers powering through the game and leaving walls of spoiler text everywhere while the rest of yall are still in chapter 1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm only going to be able to play it like a regular obsessive this time, not an insane obsessive like with SC and CS cause of work, RIP

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Zaggitz posted:

I look forward to myself, Cake Attack and Some Numbers powering through the game and leaving walls of spoiler text everywhere while the rest of yall are still in chapter 1.

Then everyone else catches up and posts more walls of spoilers and I reach the half way point in Chapter 2.
Sigh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

My work just cut my hours and I haven't found a new job and part of my LP commentary team is leaving the country on the 7th.

I will have NOTHING BUT TIME. I'm going to finish two playthroughs of CS2 before Christmas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I'm only going to be able to play it like a regular obsessive this time, not an insane obsessive like with SC and CS cause of work, RIP

You're old now. Old and busted. You'll never pilot a giant robot to defeat evil with the help of your plucky friends.

Anyway I have to rush through CS before P5 hits so hey.

At least FFXV got delayed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, for a variety of reasons, I have an important question:

Is there any way for me to transfer my save data from a PS3 copy of CSI to a vita copy of CSII without having a vita copy of CS1?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

are you willing to buy a ps3 copy of CSII as well y/n