Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I want to add that after rereading Snotgirl a few times I noticed that there is something peculiar about her new friend. No one interacts with her aside from Lottie and always seems to catch her off guard in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XTORT posted:

I want to add that after rereading Snotgirl a few times I noticed that there is something peculiar about her new friend. No one interacts with her aside from Lottie and always seems to catch her off guard in many ways.

...Does she meet her before or after her new meds?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Xinder posted:

On the other hand, Black Science might be my new favorite comic. The writing is spectacular and the art is just as good. I love everything about it.

Black Science is loving amazing. I'm really disappointed that he couldn't keep that same level of mise-en-scene worldbuilding in Low (which also has gorgeous, but different, art, but the writing is just not good)

Has anyone else read Nailbiters? It's incredibly engaging and well written despite having so incredibly many opportunities to be bad, it never seems to get there.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Black Science is loving amazing. I'm really disappointed that he couldn't keep that same level of mise-en-scene worldbuilding in Low (which also has gorgeous, but different, art, but the writing is just not good)

Has anyone else read Nailbiters? It's incredibly engaging and well written despite having so incredibly many opportunities to be bad, it never seems to get there.

Yes, I am 15 issues deep. I kinda feel the same way about it, however it took a backseat to some other new and ongoing titles that grabbed my interest.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Somehow Ennis got to do a sequel to Red Team at Dynamite, called Double Tap, Center Mass. It's a pretty straightforward cop drama, if you're into that sort of thing, although it'll probably start getting very dark very fast if the original's any indication.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Not sure how I feel about Lady Killer 2 yet, still nice to look at but issue 1 was all setup and not much really happening.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just finished Marguerite Bennett's Animosity #1. I'm here to let you know you have to read it. Bye.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just finished Marguerite Bennett's Animosity #1. I'm here to let you know you have to read it. Bye.

Is it better than her other Aftershock book? I took a pass because I didn't like that one at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've yet to read the insect one, but this was great.
I'll have stuff to post in the funny thread when I'm home.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I see it has the same artist from Super Zero. I hope that doesn't mean that comic is done. I thought it was just wrapping up an arc I'd be bummed if it was actually cancelled.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Read the first few issues of Cinema Purgatorio - Moore and Gillen's ones are good of course, I even like Max Brooks' "Gettysburg meets Them!" story, the others don't really grab me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh man, Animosity #1 was up there for me with The Vision in terms of books I had zero expectations for beforehand only to be fully hyped and on board to the bitter end by the last page. Mega thanks to whoever it was in the Funny Panels thread that posted up a few pages.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh man, Animosity #1 was up there for me with The Vision in terms of books I had zero expectations for beforehand only to be fully hyped and on board to the bitter end by the last page. Mega thanks to whoever it was in the Funny Panels thread that posted up a few pages.

Yeah it was a great first issue. Felt a bit short though.

I also grabbed Kill or Be Killed and Mycroft Holmes and enjoyed both. I knew what to expect with Brubaker and Phillips, but Holmes was a surprise.

And I picked up Nailbiter 1-20 and the Hack and Slash crossover from a local guy and holy smokes this is good stuff. I need to grab 21-23 next weekend so I can get caught up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah it was a great first issue. Felt a bit short though.

I also grabbed Kill or Be Killed and Mycroft Holmes and enjoyed both. I knew what to expect with Brubaker and Phillips, but Holmes was a surprise.

And I picked up Nailbiter 1-20 and the Hack and Slash crossover from a local guy and holy smokes this is good stuff. I need to grab 21-23 next weekend so I can get caught up.

Yeah, Naibiter is good stuff. I'd check out Birthright by the same writer if you haven't. It's my favorite work of his. He's also the new writer on Flash.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought the first 14 issues of Birthright in the same lot. Excited to start those.

Reading comics in paper form rather than digitally is a very different experience. A lot slower.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo, everyone buy Hickman's new Image book. Okay, bye.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would be cool if you told us its name.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
The Black Monday Murders. Pretty good read, very dense.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's the one with the ram skull on the front.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Black-Monday-Murders-1/digital-comic/385205?ref=cGFnZS92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvbGlzdDEyNjA2

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the Gaffe posted:

It's a hell of a start. I've grabbed a few indie #1s over the last two months and this is definitely my favorite.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
This is the most hickman thing i have read, so many infographics. I loved it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So is the Manhattan Projects dead? I mean I guess they more or less ran out of characters and I'm not sure they ever had more of a plot besides "do weird science poo poo", but still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman's said it's just going to be a bunch of miniseries now. I assume whenever he gets a story idea and PItara's available.

So, no, but kinda.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone pick up #1 of Hunt, Throwaways, Brik, or Horizon? #2s coming up this week and I'm curious if any are worth jumping on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Horizon definitely felt like a very sparse set up issue to me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Horizon looks promising but hard to say with only a #1 so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also Providence #10. Pieces start to fall together for Black and he promptly loses it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

the Gaffe posted:

Just read it for the first time, I'm just a bit worried that things are going over my head, it'll definitely need a few read throughs before I decide weather I'll subscribe, wait for a CE or drop it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Anime_Otaku posted:

Just read it for the first time, I'm just a bit worried that things are going over my head, it'll definitely need a few read throughs before I decide weather I'll subscribe, wait for a CE or drop it.

I don't think it's all that deep, it's just a fantastical historical graphic novel of world finance. But it is very well executed so far

e: Well, I suppose it could be deep--what I'm trying to say is I think it's okay to just enjoy it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read Kill or Be Killed #1, and enjoyed it a lot. Though I skipped the Devin Faraci bit at the end, though I guess I can't technically hold that against the comic proper.

The only other Ed Brubaker things I've read was The Man Who Laughs and the first volume of Gotham Central, what are his best works considered to be? Are Criminal and Fatale good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Just read Kill or Be Killed #1, and enjoyed it a lot. Though I skipped the Devin Faraci bit at the end, though I guess I can't technically hold that against the comic proper.

The only other Ed Brubaker things I've read was The Man Who Laughs and the first volume of Gotham Central, what are his best works considered to be? Are Criminal and Fatale good?

Yes.

His runs on Catwoman and Captain America are pretty definitive for the characters.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

In my opinion his best stuff is Criminal and Gotham Central. I like his other cape stuff, but those just really hold up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chairman Capone posted:

Criminal is my favorite Brubaker, but unless you really dislike crime drama and/or noir, all of his Sean Phillips collaborations are really good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

The man can do no wrong by me. His name on the front of a comic is as good a sign of quality as exists in comics. In particular his work with Phillips is just top notch.

He really shines on noire and thriller stuff, which is mostly what he does with Phillips.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not seeing the love for Sleeper here, which had the additional difficulty of being set in the Wildstorm universe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The what?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Not seeing the love for Sleeper here, which had the additional difficulty of being set in the Wildstorm universe

Sleeper is my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration. It's supervillain-noir-espionage, and it's soul-crushing and awesome. If you try it, make sure you read the prequel, Point Blank, although it's by a different artist who isn't as good as Sean Phillips (Colin Wilson).

The Wildstorm Universe used to be a separate continuity that included the character from Wildcats, Gen13, Stormwatch (which became the Authority), and Planetary. When Jim Lee sold Wildstorm Comics (his imprint within Image Comics) to DC, they maintained their own universe, but were eventually, quietly folded into the DCU.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I check out 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank today, and I really liked that, looking forward to more.

I also read Plutona which I was liking, but then it ended really abruptly, and The Strange Talent of Luther Stride was pretty entertaining just for the absurd amount of gore.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Speaking of gore, is anyone but me still reading Spread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

While on the subject of gore, Invincible is ending (about loving time).

http://www.skybound.com/robert-kirkman-on-the-end-of-invincible/