Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

hogmartin posted:

Presumably not every engineer, but probably every officer. ADM Rickover was famous for conducting uncomfortable and humiliating interviews of potential nuclear submarine officers, it would be very surprising if he hadn't enacted some kind of plan to ensure that his successors continued the tradition now 30 years after he died. http://www.businessinsider.com/hyman-rickover-interview-techniques-2014-4

The US has not had a catastrophic nuclear casualty since putting people to sea on the world's first nuclear-powered submarine over 60 years ago, so I'm guessing Rickover got something right.

I remember a story in one of my sub books about some prospective officer going through the Rickover interview where he got pissed off at an answer, and picked up the paperwork he had on his desk and threw it all straight up in the air. A folded piece of paper spiraled down and landed on Rickover's head, perched there like a hat, and Rickover conducted the rest of the interview like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Isn't there also a story where he took a prospective officer to lunch and failed him instantly when the guy salted his food without checking if it needed to be salted first?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

anyway, i showed my brand new sheath for my dagger to my hauptmann and he said "that's not suitable for a common soldier". showed it to a friend of mine and he said "as soon as you get hungry you'll sell it."

Thanks for the vote of confidence, dickbags. The friend in question is the same guy who killed my prisoner a few weeks ago

I bet you your sheathe to my hat that you won't sell it next time you're hungry.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ArchangeI posted:

Isn't there also a story where he took a prospective officer to lunch and failed him instantly when the guy salted his food without checking if it needed to be salted first?

A lot of the stories are apocryphal. My favorite is the one where Rickover dressed up in civvies and tried to walk aboard one of the SSBNs parked in Groton. A Marine guard confronted him with an aimed M14 and yelled "Halt right there!" Rickover drew himself up to his full height (which wasn't much) and said "Marine, do you know who I am?" The Marine responded "Yes, sir! You're the deadest loving admiral in the US Navy if you don't halt right there!"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Let's play a game, this one is called "1715 or 1915?"

So which one is it? I legit can't tell.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So which one is it? I legit can't tell.

Hint: binoculars

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Belgian posted:

Hint: binoculars
weirdly enough, no
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars#Galilean_binoculars
(binoculars or a portable telescope mean this isn't 1615, tho)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 14, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Well I suppose, but wouldn't it be exceptionally rare for a soldier to have one back then? It also seems unlikely that they would be durable enough to be used in a military context back then.
(Though I could be completely wrong.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Belgian posted:

Well I suppose, but wouldn't it be exceptionally rare for a soldier to have one back then? It also seems unlikely that they would be durable enough to be used in a military context back then.
(Though I could be completely wrong.)
rare, yes. a telescope that's portable by a single person would itself be the Hot New poo poo as of 1715, which is why 30yw battlefield ruses look so hilarious to us

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

rare, yes. a telescope that's portable by a single person would itself be the Hot New poo poo as of 1715, which is why 30yw battlefield ruses look so hilarious to us

ruses such as....?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

A lot of the stories are apocryphal. My favorite is the one where Rickover dressed up in civvies and tried to walk aboard one of the SSBNs parked in Groton. A Marine guard confronted him with an aimed M14 and yelled "Halt right there!" Rickover drew himself up to his full height (which wasn't much) and said "Marine, do you know who I am?" The Marine responded "Yes, sir! You're the deadest loving admiral in the US Navy if you don't halt right there!"

Yeah, he's kind of like the Keyser Soze of the Navy that way. I've heard the "do not presume the eggs are not already salted" one too. It's kind of hard to know what to believe. There are 2 main types of Rickover stories:
- A haughty junior officer tries to snow him and gets utterly shut down
- An E-nothing peasant doing a poo poo job Does The Right Thing and gets his approval (like Phanatic's story above)
So you can see how he became a folk legend. I believe all the interview stories though.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think it was a Rickover story where if he asks you if you have children, and you do, and you answer with more than, "Yes, sir," then you lose the interview.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hogmartin posted:

Yeah, he's kind of like the Keyser Soze of the Navy that way. I've heard the "do not presume the eggs are not already salted" one too. It's kind of hard to know what to believe. There are 2 main types of Rickover stories:
- A haughty junior officer tries to snow him and gets utterly shut down
- An E-nothing peasant doing a poo poo job Does The Right Thing and gets his approval (like Phanatic's story above)
So you can see how he became a folk legend. I believe all the interview stories though.

I think most of the stories are also told with Rickover's name filed off and Curtis LeMay's name written in.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I think most of the stories are also told with Rickover's name filed off and Curtis LeMay's name written in.

Or James Mattis.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

ruses such as....?
one tactic for the defenders during a siege is literally that from a distance it's hard to tell where the front door of a star fort is

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HEY GAL posted:

one tactic for the defenders during a siege is literally that from a distance it's hard to tell where the front door of a star fort is

I assume this means they make/paint on fake doors? That's pretty funny.

"Curse you Bugsolfus von Bunnystein!"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Finnish infantry brigades are supposed to use tractors, trucks and buses for strategic mobility though. Besides, the only thing they're good for is for being a force-in-being anyway since they have almost no AA or AT gear.

Infantry Brigade 80 has tractors and trailers, but I was speaking of paikallispuolustusjoukot, ie. battalion and company sized local defense units.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

I assume this means they make/paint on fake doors? That's pretty funny.
no, this means from far enough away the glacis just looks like an almost featureless low slope

you can't see the thing from high up, if you try to get closer the defenders will start shooting, and theoretically maps and plans of the fort you're besieging might exist, but where? and how would you get them?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Why would you bother attempting to take a Star Fort anyway? Those things are huge, terrifying obstacles. Just go around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know they wrote a big manual on how to attack star forts by digging trenches towards it, but I was under the impression that the general advice for doing so was "Don't."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Endman posted:

Why would you bother attempting to take a Star Fort anyway? Those things are huge, terrifying obstacles. Just go around.
now that fort's dudes are behind you

cool

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

I know they wrote a big manual on how to attack star forts by digging trenches towards it, but I was under the impression that the general advice for doing so was "Don't."
several books
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege#Marshal_Vauban_and_Van_Coehoorn
but no, people keep loving attacking these things

sieges are the new black, have you seen the 80yw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try diplomacy?

Wait a few centuries for the aggressive ravelin cancer to consume the entire fort?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

HEY GAL posted:

cool

I can see how that might be a pain, but certainly less of a pain than trying to take a Star Fort. And besides, they might be behind you, but you're in their bed with their wife in the town they're not defending because they're sitting in the fort.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

no, this means from far enough away the glacis just looks like an almost featureless low slope

you can't see the thing from high up, if you try to get closer the defenders will start shooting, and theoretically maps and plans of the fort you're besieging might exist, but where? and how would you get them?

From wounding round the remains of incomplete star fort in the UK recently, I can say that they are easier than you think to overlook. I didn't realise it was a star fort on the drive up, only once I was walking around what would have been its walls, realising that there was some stonework around and a low slope, and thinking back to HEY GAL's posts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

From wounding round the remains of incomplete star fort in the UK recently, I can say that they are easier than you think to overlook. I didn't realise it was a star fort on the drive up, only once I was walking around what would have been its walls, realising that there was some stonework around and a low slope, and thinking back to HEY GAL's posts.

I didn't think we had any actual star forts over here, I know some of the castles were updated, the Tower of London is surprisingly modern in its outer works and Stirling Castle shows some definite gunnery modifications but do we have any actual purpose built star forts?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Endman posted:

I can see how that might be a pain, but certainly less of a pain than trying to take a Star Fort. And besides, they might be behind you, but you're in their bed with their wife in the town they're not defending because they're sitting in the fort.
I think I see a fatal error.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't think we had any actual star forts over here, I know some of the castles were updated, the Tower of London is surprisingly modern in its outer works and Stirling Castle shows some definite gunnery modifications but do we have any actual purpose built star forts?

I was going to say, I thought we had our own little brand of crazy coastal fortress towers instead of Stat Forts?

Endman
May 18, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

I think I see a fatal error.

Shhh, I may have just noticed the same one. :ssh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Good news, motherfuckers. Someone's just come back from holiday.

12 August: We close the book on the Battle of Romani, and General Haig plays a genuinely hilarious jape on General Joffre; but that's just an appetiser for the return to action of Sergeant Flora Sandes, the only Briton the Salonika front who actually wants to be there. Oh, and General von Falkenhayn's position as German commander-in-chief is looking extremely ropey and he desperately needs to not be totally wrong about something; good thing he's assuring everyone in Berlin and the Kaiser too that Romania cannot possibly enter the war until the end of September even if they wanted to, which they probably don't. Digestif courtesy of E.S. Thompson, who's managed to lose his mates' kit, and Max Plowman, who has acquired a batman, a patronising attitude, and a disturbing piece of news.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Ask nicely?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So I was wandering through a book store today and found 6 of 7 volumes of "The World War" by Francis March. The third volume was missing.

Does anyone in here have any advice for reading it? So far it seems very very nationalistic and rah rah America which, fine, it's written by the relative of a general and also 3 years after the armistice.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endman posted:

Rifled cannon, motherfucker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

cool

Don't kinkshame

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Endman posted:

I can see how that might be a pain, but certainly less of a pain than trying to take a Star Fort.

I wonder why many successive generations of professional soldiers who actually fought in those centuries never thought of this very obvious "just go round" tactic you've discovered.

It's a pretty basic feature of military strategy. Fortifications don't just make the things inside them more difficult to attack, they control the entire area surrounding them. One of the things inside them, being protected, is a mobile force. You can't destroy that force without reducing the fortifications, and you can't ignore them because they will sortie and interfere with you. For example, your army has to eat, which means foraging or a supply train, probably some combination of the two. Living off the land requires you to disperse men in foraging parties, who are then vulnerable if the enemy sorties from their fortress. Likewise, your supply train is vulnerable to attack. You ignored the star forts, and now your army is starving.

There is also the probability that you may have to fight a pitched battle, and if you left enemy fortifications intact in your rear, while you are engaged with the enemy's main force the garrisons will sortie and hit you from behind. Also a specific issue with the idea of just going around the forts and capturing a city, which is loss of cohesion during pillage. Basically, when you march in your men will want to steal anything they can get their hands on, find booze and get wasted, assault women, fight over loot, booze, and women, and just generally collapse into disorder. You really do not want this to happen with enemy garrisons intact in your rear, because they are in fighting order and your men are not.

Reducing the star forts is very difficult. Not reducing the star forts is fatal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Was fatal at least. Patton got stuck on them after being all :agesilaus: about no fort being able to stand up to his genius. Ended up having to just go round and leave forces to bottle them, which was totally fine with the USA's manpower advantage at that time and probably wouldn't have worked in any other war or will ever work again.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

sieges are the new black, have you seen the 80yw

Something something flanders field?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Was fatal at least. Patton got stuck on them after being all :agesilaus: about no fort being able to stand up to his genius. Ended up having to just go round and leave forces to bottle them, which was totally fine with the USA's manpower advantage at that time and probably wouldn't have worked in any other war or will ever work again.

Well, like ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted, technical innovations over the course of the 19th century gave attackers considerably better options for dealing with fortifications. Better guns, better shells, etc. made it more feasible to reduce forts through firepower. Moreover, by the time Patton was butting up against the Siegfried Line, sorties by defenders were much less dangerous because leaving the fortifications meant exposing themselves to artillery and airpower and probably being disrupted before they could do anything useful. He was pretty safe just leaving men to screen the fortifications, because he knew they had the finest artillery and close air support in the world backing them. The development of modern fire support is just a huge problem for those kinds of counterattacks. Even if the combat spearhead comes through okay, softer supporting elements just get chewed up badly. The German reaction to the landings at Anzio are a great example, because they did what they were supposed to do--they identified the landing site and used their mobile reserve to mount a determined counterattack. But in practice, any German column that moved exposed itself, and was met by overwhelming fire from naval guns and air support. Got wrecked before they could do anything useful.

Of course since then you do see armies with a material disadvantage moving towards guerrilla warfare, and arguably the principle is very similar. Instead of having walls and trenches you hide yourself in the civilian population, and you make sorties by ambushing the enemy and then retreating back into obscurity.

Endman
May 18, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

I wonder why many successive generations of professional soldiers who actually fought in those centuries never thought of this very obvious "just go round" tactic you've discovered.

It's a pretty basic feature of military strategy. Fortifications don't just make the things inside them more difficult to attack, they control the entire area surrounding them. One of the things inside them, being protected, is a mobile force. You can't destroy that force without reducing the fortifications, and you can't ignore them because they will sortie and interfere with you. For example, your army has to eat, which means foraging or a supply train, probably some combination of the two. Living off the land requires you to disperse men in foraging parties, who are then vulnerable if the enemy sorties from their fortress. Likewise, your supply train is vulnerable to attack. You ignored the star forts, and now your army is starving.

There is also the probability that you may have to fight a pitched battle, and if you left enemy fortifications intact in your rear, while you are engaged with the enemy's main force the garrisons will sortie and hit you from behind. Also a specific issue with the idea of just going around the forts and capturing a city, which is loss of cohesion during pillage. Basically, when you march in your men will want to steal anything they can get their hands on, find booze and get wasted, assault women, fight over loot, booze, and women, and just generally collapse into disorder. You really do not want this to happen with enemy garrisons intact in your rear, because they are in fighting order and your men are not.

Reducing the star forts is very difficult. Not reducing the star forts is fatal.

Consider me educated on why reducing fortifications is so critical. Of course, if you could do so next time without the snide comment at the beginning, that would be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of WWII combat situations are the result of a weird balance in tech where things like this are possible but would now just not happen due to our ability to simply blow the poo poo out of them with a single flyover.