Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I was trying to seek out some new crime cases for (me and) this thread but most of the lesser known cases I found were from other countries with very little info for english speakers in other countries. Though I did find this podcast that focuses on Japanese murders.

https://soundcloud.com/truecrimejapan

I've only heard one episode but I dig it. The hosts are good at not going off on a tangent and stick to what ever is relevant to the case, which has annoyed me with other crime-related podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Child murder stuff in current news, under spoiler:

A man and woman were arrested yesterday trying to cross the border from the U.S. into Tijuana, Mexico, with the dead body of a 2-year-old in a duffel bag. No info on the kid except she wasn't theirs and didn't die naturally.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-child-body-found-20160810-snap-story.html

Why the gently caress would you try to cross an international border with a body? How dumb do you have to be?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

pookel posted:

Child murder stuff in current news, under spoiler:

A man and woman were arrested yesterday trying to cross the border from the U.S. into Tijuana, Mexico, with the dead body of a 2-year-old in a duffel bag. No info on the kid except she wasn't theirs and didn't die naturally.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-child-body-found-20160810-snap-story.html

Why the gently caress would you try to cross an international border with a body? How dumb do you have to be?

We don't usually catch the smart ones. :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilly_Smith

She got an asteroid named after her for her trouble

Watch in 25 years when Asteroid Tilly smashes into Siberia and plunges the world into blackness

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/girl-6-dies-after-piranhas-eat-her-legs-when-canoe-capsizes-on-family-holiday-10022189.html

I'm a horrible person and a loving idiot, I clicked the links to the Brazilian news articles even after the warning not to :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he came out ok. You'd think the very beginning of a tsunami is where you'd wanna be if you got caught up in it.
Yeah, watching all these tsunami videos did make me consider some of the elements of a tidal wave that id perhaps known about but didn't really actively consider cuz who really thinks about tsunamis that often. Like the fact that people totally get tugged out into the ocean, or that the tsunami is actually less horrifying when it first hits because at that point it's not a loving mobile wave of concrete and houses and debris, or that the tsunami was almost this weird human trap made by nature for those who were uninformed...the tide would roll back, either with the first wave or those came after, and people act all lulled and lured like moths to the flame, interested in the weird low tide landscape and momentarily bedazzled.
Also how I never consider the whole human survivalism element in a situation like this basically results in a bunch of old people and children dying. It's not something you think about in the first world sans natural disasters, like sure there's a lot of problems with elderly poverty and starvation, but I mean more in the sense of "oh god something horrible is happening and everyone is abandoning all the old people".
With the children they have parents clinging to their sides but with a lot of the elderly it's just heartbreaking in those videos watching them stubbornly slowly trudging forward unassisted as the wave bears inevitably down on them.

I tried reading Wave but I kind of lost interest once it became repetitious descriptions and reminiscings of her upper class suburban life, obviously I know the act of writing was a therapeutic exercise for her but it just stopped being a compelling enough read for me.
Still, those first pages of the disaster and aftermath are chilling. The moment that sticks with me is her running past her parents bungalow as the wave is bearing down, as she flees with her children, and she doesn't take the time to run in to warn them or even scream a warning and you can just feel the tortuous agonizing weight of that split second memory. You want to be like, "You could've at least shouted!" but who can say how they'd react in such a surreally horrifying surprise attack of a disaster, one minute you're fine and the next minute a wall of certain death is bearing down on you and the world is ending.
I just don't think I can get over those images of the elderly in either of the recent major tsunamis discussed and linked thus far, they all seem to share this similar stubborn dogged survivalist emotion that somehow pairs seamlessly with a resigned acceptance of inevitable death, you see them just slowly trudging forward or feebly clinging onto poles while death approaches. :smith:

Also jeez that British couple in that other video who lost their daughter, they're all cheeky and charming cracking about having a "shag" that morning and then suddenly at one point in the recollection you see the husband's expression just become this horrible stony thousand yard look and you know...you know things will not be ending well...

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he came out ok. You'd think the very beginning of a tsunami is where you'd wanna be if you got caught up in it.

I highly doubt it. The force of the wave is so strong it would likely just push you backwards at a shockingly high speed until you smashed against the first hard thing that came up. Whether that's a building, car, sea wall, or a pole is up to chance.

I mean, look at what the waves look like by the time they come deep inland. Like a mudslide filled with debris. If you get caught in it at any point you're screwed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well yeah, but I'm just saying it would probably be better than walking over the crushed dead and flaming debris on a flotilla of destruction with the tiniest bit of hope in your heart that you can make it to that open window, and then the flimsy ground below you gives way and you drown with chunks of plaster and splinters of wood in your lungs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Additionally, the water at the front is very aerated so you won't float very well at all. It would probably push the victim around at high speed while also holding them under.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you're all a bunch of pussies i got pounded in the butt by a tsunami and it only made me stronger

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Avshalom posted:

you're all a bunch of pussies i got pounded in the butt by a tsunami and it only made me stronger

You're a living Chuck Tingle novel?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fox posted:

You're a living Chuck Tingle novel?

Aren't we all?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just read on the MegaTsunami. Seems it was caused by a relatively strong earthquake of 7.8 that caused an enormous landslide, which caused the nearby glacier to rise up, which caused the matter under it to slide down in the bay, resulting in an uplift of 70m in the bay's sea floor on top of the displaced kinetic energy.

Yeah uh.. :gonk:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I was browsing SA on a bus and this skinny nerd walks up to me and mumbles something so quietly I had to ask him to repeat himself multiple times.

And then I finally heard him

"Do you have stairs in your house"

:gonk: GOONS ARE REAL AND THIS ONE WAS STARING AT ME AND MY PHONE SCREEN AAAAAAAA

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Xun posted:

I was browsing SA on a bus and this skinny nerd walks up to me and mumbles something so quietly I had to ask him to repeat himself multiple times.

And then I finally heard him

"Do you have stairs in your house"

:gonk: GOONS ARE REAL AND THIS ONE WAS STARING AT ME AND MY PHONE SCREEN AAAAAAAA
The truely unnerving thing, is that you weren't protected....

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

sinking belle posted:

The truely unnerving thing, is that you weren't protected....

I am here to protect you

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A guy got convicted for killing his wife 54 years ago. Bonus: he seemingly killed another wife and a girlfriend as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nally-on-trial/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A guy got convicted for killing his wife 54 years ago. Bonus: he seemingly killed another wife and a girlfriend as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nally-on-trial/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSkXGH8mNs

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Pinellas County Woman, 62, Charged With Manslaughter After 6-Year-Old Son Kills Infant Daughter. And the story is even more horrible than the title would infer.

"I guess I have to plan a funeral." :shrug: The woman deserves jail. Hopefully the non-murderer still-alive kid has a chance in life, but I doubt it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So there's apparently a Hep A epidemic going on. It started a while ago when an ice cream place got into deep poo poo for keeping quiet about one of their food prep guys having Hep A, a lot of people on the staff knew but they still let the guy make food. Now a ton of restaurants are getting into poo poo for the same thing, several places have had to close down and lose thousands of dollars in food and a lot of people are being hospitalized. A disease outbreak like this on a small island is kind of freaky.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

BJPaskoff posted:

Pinellas County Woman, 62, Charged With Manslaughter After 6-Year-Old Son Kills Infant Daughter. And the story is even more horrible than the title would infer.

"I guess I have to plan a funeral." :shrug: The woman deserves jail. Hopefully the non-murderer still-alive kid has a chance in life, but I doubt it.

quote:

Paramedics said Steele did not appear to be concerned about her daughter's condition, reportedly putting away groceries while crews attempted to revive the infant.

So she had the boy when she was 56 and the daughter when she was 62?

quote:

Steele and her husband appeared on an episode of the reality TV show "I'm Pregnant and 55 Years Old," before the birth of her first child. He died of cancer in 2011 at age 66. Deputies say the two youngest children were born through artificial insemination, using the dead husband's frozen sperm. Steele had been raising the children alone.

Oh, ok. :stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pidan posted:

That's the slowest wave I've ever seen.

Yeah that video sucks. Here's a better one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfdtJrAp50

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karma Monkey posted:

So she had the boy when she was 56 and the daughter when she was 62?

Oh, ok. :stare:

It's like a crazy cat lady but with babies

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I edited an article on that story at work yesterday.

I had to take a break afterwards for a little bit, it was one of the worst things I've ever read. The article I worked on went into pretty solid detail on how the beating occurred.

Awful. :(

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah that video sucks. Here's a better one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfdtJrAp50

Just looks like a tidal bore, which I suppose it is

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

A Spider Covets posted:

I edited an article on that story at work yesterday.

I had to take a break afterwards for a little bit, it was one of the worst things I've ever read. The article I worked on went into pretty solid detail on how the beating occurred.

Awful. :(
I saw the worst stuff on a regular basis during my copy editor days. :( The AP has a way of putting the most memorable details in the slug (this is like the story filename/title, for non-journalists) and I'd always find myself clicking on the ones with words like "decapitation" or "gruesome" in them.

The worst for me was a minor item on a toddler who'd been abused to death by her stepmom. Her name sounded familiar, and I remembered she was the little girl we'd shown on the front page running around in her diaper in a tent. It was a story about reservation housing and why her family was homeless (she lived with her bio mom then), and she looked dirty but happy. Apparently at some point after that story, she went to live with her dad and stepmom (I assume because of the housing situation) and it didn't end well. Poor baby. :(

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Theresa Knorr used her kids to help murder her other kids.

The Marybeth Tinning case is especially as she had to have had major psychological problems, but it took 15 years before authorities arrested her. All nine of her children had died in infancy at that point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Reminds me a lot of Sylvia Likens.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol she had a fling with a guy named estelle

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Avshalom posted:

lol she had a fling with a guy named estelle

I bet he's a real American Boy.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

I saw an episode of Forensic Files or something that covered this years ago. It's easily the worst thing I've ever heard of and it still bothers me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhiU5zBEW1M

Moors Murders

Wikipedia posted:

The Moors murders were carried out by Ian Brady and Myra Hindley between July 1963 and October 1965, in and around what is now Greater Manchester, England. The victims were five children aged between 10 and 17—Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett, Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans—at least four of whom were sexually assaulted. The murders are so named because two of the victims were discovered in graves dug on Saddleworth Moor; a third grave was discovered on the moor in 1987, more than 20 years after Brady and Hindley's trial in 1966. The body of a fourth victim, Keith Bennett, is also suspected to be buried there, but despite repeated searches it remains undiscovered.

Ian Brady and Myra Hindley

Wikipedia posted:

Driving down Gorton Lane, Brady saw a young girl walking towards them, and signalled Hindley to stop, which she did not do until she had passed the girl. Brady drew up alongside on his motorbike, demanding to know why she had not offered the girl a lift, to which Hindley replied that she recognised her as Marie Ruck, a near neighbour of her mother. Shortly after 8:00 pm, continuing down Froxmer Street, Brady spotted a girl wearing a pale blue coat and white high-heeled shoes walking away from them, and once again signalled for the van to stop. Hindley recognised the girl as Pauline Reade, a friend of her younger sister, Maureen. Reade got into the van with Hindley, who then asked if she would mind helping to search for an expensive glove she had lost on Saddleworth Moor. Reade said she was in no great hurry, and agreed. At 16, Pauline Reade was older than Marie Ruck, and Hindley realised that there would be less of a hue and cry over the disappearance of a teenager than there would over a child of seven or eight. When the van reached the moor, Hindley stopped and Brady arrived shortly afterwards on his motorcycle. She introduced him to Reade as her boyfriend, and said that he had also come to help find the missing glove. Hindley claimed Brady took Reade onto the moor while Hindley waited in the van. After about 30 minutes Brady returned alone, and took Hindley to the spot where Reade lay dying. Her throat had been cut twice with a large knife. The larger of these wounds was a four-inch incision across her voice box, and the collar of Reade's coat had been deliberately pushed into this wound. He told her to stay with Reade while he fetched a spade he had hidden nearby on a previous visit to the moor, to bury the body. Hindley noticed that "Pauline's coat was undone and her clothes were in disarray ... She had guessed from the time he had taken that Brady had sexually assaulted her." Brady's account differed from Hindley's. He claimed that Hindley was not only there at the scene, but that she assisted him with the sexual assault on Pauline. Returning home from the moor in the van—they had loaded the motorcycle into the back—Brady and Hindley passed Reade's mother, Joan, accompanied by her son, Paul, searching the streets for Pauline.

Wikipedia posted:

Hindley claimed that Brady began to talk about "committing the perfect murder" in July 1963, and often spoke to her about Meyer Levin's Compulsion, published as a novel in 1956 and adapted for the cinema in 1959. The story tells a fictionalised account of the Leopold and Loeb case, two young men from well-to-do families who attempt to commit the perfect murder of a 12-year-old boy, and escape the death penalty because of their age.

And a little extra The Smiths trivia:

Wikipedia posted:

Although five children were murdered in the Moors case, only three are named in the song: John Kilbride ("oh John you'll never be a man"), Lesley Ann Downey ("Lesley Ann with your pretty white beads"), and Edward Evans ("Edward, see those alluring lights"). The murders of Keith Bennett and Pauline Reade were not attributed to Myra Hindley and Ian Brady until 1985,[3] after "Suffer Little Children" had already been released.

e: Here's an image gallery related to the Moors Murders and the surrounding investigation. Nothing gory, nothing that wouldn't be in a (modern, sensible) paper.

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Aug 16, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was literally loading up this thread to post this, because I've been listening to that song like crazy lately.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

radiatinglines posted:

I was literally loading up this thread to post this, because I've been listening to that song like crazy lately.

It's a good song. Like a lot of people I got into The Smiths during my teenage years, and I remember looking around the internet to get more information on my new favorite band. That's when I found out about the Moors Murders. I've been reading through the whole thread during downtime at work lately and was mildly surprised that no one had posted about it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you want songs that are about murderer's you could always listen (ironically*) to Manic Street Preachers' Archives of Pain.

Manic Street Preachers (the chorus) posted:

Kill Yeltsin, who's saying? Zhirinovsky, Le Pen
Hindley and Brady, Ireland, Allit, Sutcliffe
Dahmer, Nielson, Yoshinori Ueda
Blanche and Pickles, Amin, Milosovic
Give them respect they deserve
Give them the respect they deserve

*I say ironically because the song is pretty much about how people obsess over these people but forget about the very real victims and the suffering they and their families suffered.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Smiths song is about the victims and even uses their names, though. It does anything but glorify the murders, even ironically.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Sure it's been mentioned before... But tell me why I don't like Mondays

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

djssniper posted:

Sure it's been mentioned before... But tell me why I don't like Mondays

Do you also sulk?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My favorite is The Balled of Tim Evans.

It's depressing. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If we're doing serial killer songs then there's always Sufjan Stevens' one about John Wayne Gacy from Illinoise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ygoDnlGCg

it's actually one of the worst tracks off the album, but it's an incredible album so