Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

cheese-cube posted:

Cross-post, might not be a mechanical failure but close to one:

I guess that makes this aircraft a bee-22.

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Not even bees can make that piece of poo poo fly.

No, the F-22 is the good one. Its software crashes when you cross the international date line and occasionally the pilot's oxygen supply shuts off, but it flies and generally does what it's supposed to.

The F-35 is the one that sucks at everything all the time.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Had the same thing as that bee swarm but with wasps covering the ground power receptacle on an AWACS when we were in Japan in 2005. thousands of the fuckers in a clump like 2 feet across. We tried everything, brushing them off with a broom and then running for your life, spraying them down with a hose from 15 feet away, etc. We finally got them by shooting them with a halon fire extinguisher.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

cheese-cube posted:

Hey could be worse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgenair_Flight_301

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a morbid fascination with reading crash reports on wikipedia, and it seems that malfunctioning pitot tubes are a fairly common cause. Are they more reliable/redundant nowadays?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a morbid fascination with reading crash reports on wikipedia, and it seems that malfunctioning pitot tubes are a fairly common cause. Are they more reliable/redundant nowadays?

Not really, pretty much the same tech in principle for the last 50 years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also this seems to frequently be a factor

quote:

The co-pilot and the relief pilot Muhlis Evrenesoğlu both seemed to recognise the approaching stall and tried to tell the captain, but did not intervene directly, possibly out of deference to the captain's age and experience.

It was a contributing factor to the Tenerife disaster, and also another crash recently that I can't quite remember but it involved the pilot and the co-pilot providing opposite inputs (the co-pilot was right) and the plane, being an Airbus, averaged those out into "no control surface movement" :pseudo:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Air France 447!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cheese-cube posted:

"crew members realized that honey bees are at risk of extinction"

Jesus Christ, CNN, you're not even trying to limit yourself to factual information anymore.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Except that's not (hugely) wrong? :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

literally a fish posted:

Except that's not (hugely) wrong? :v:

It's *hugely* wrong. Honeybees are in no danger of extinction. None whatsoever. That individual colonies might collapse at a greater rate doesn't mean a danger of extinction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/23/call-off-the-bee-pocalypse-u-s-honeybee-colonies-hit-a-20-year-high/

Even if there weren't more *domestic* honeybee colonies right now than there have been for decades, that still wouldn't mean honeybees were in danger of extinction. The only thing that could be more wrong than claiming that is claiming that they're actually extinct. "Crewmen realized these were the last honeybees in the known universe so they called for a beekeeper."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if it's not extinction in the purest sense of the worse, colonies dying off at an unprecedented rate sure isn't a good thing.

At least for the last 100 years or so. The archaeological record on bee population probably doesn't go back very far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

It's *hugely* wrong. Honeybees are in no danger of extinction. None whatsoever. That individual colonies might collapse at a greater rate doesn't mean a danger of extinction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/23/call-off-the-bee-pocalypse-u-s-honeybee-colonies-hit-a-20-year-high/

Even if there weren't more *domestic* honeybee colonies right now than there have been for decades, that still wouldn't mean honeybees were in danger of extinction. The only thing that could be more wrong than claiming that is claiming that they're actually extinct. "Crewmen realized these were the last honeybees in the known universe so they called for a beekeeper."

Yep. Its pseudoscience being spread by the Anti-GMO crowd.

xzzy posted:

Even if it's not extinction in the purest sense of the worse, colonies dying off at an unprecedented rate sure isn't a good thing.

At least for the last 100 years or so. The archaeological record on bee population probably doesn't go back very far.

Well, to be fair, recent evidence suggests a recovery is happening, but most of the issues with the honeybees are a combination of pesticides, parasites, and disease.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

xzzy posted:

Palaeontological record. Archaeology is a branch of Anthropology, the study of humans.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Opened my door today to find my front seats covered in coins, springs, and bits of plastic. Looked like a drunk Robie had wandered into my car, vomited everywhere, then stumbled off:

Turns out the plastic clips holding the spring loaded coin dispenser together broke off in the heat and launched coins and parts of itself all over the place :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A robie would never vomit up his meals. He only opens his flap and poops the coins out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm really surprised this many people remember robie.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

I'm really surprised this many people remember robie.

I wish I could talk to the person who got that idea past management.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I love that an image search for Robie is mostly a Frank Lloyd Wright house with a smiling yellow robot sprinkled in.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Xy Hapu posted:

Opened my door today to find my front seats covered in coins, springs, and bits of plastic. Looked like a drunk Robie had wandered into my car, vomited everywhere, then stumbled off:

Turns out the plastic clips holding the spring loaded coin dispenser together broke off in the heat and launched coins and parts of itself all over the place :v:

Sounds like your car has (had) a confetti cannon. I wonder what it looked like when it went off, though it's a good thing you weren't in the car when it did.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I thought that was about to be a story about getting your car broken into, but then I realized that junkies breaking into cars take all the change with them instead of sprinkling it about the cabin.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Xy Hapu posted:

My heat story: One spring day I was bustling around in my car and for stupid reasons, a tube of neosporin triple-antibiotic ointment ended up in my overhead console sunglasses holder. I promptly forgot it was up there until a summer stretch of 90F+ days and I was parking my black car in the sun. The tube liquified, expanded, burst, and the hot oily liquid started dripping onto my seats and center console. Luckily no damage, but frustrating and it seemed gross to clean up, although in hindsight it was free of bacteria and quiet non-gross. I cleaned the seats, console and sunglasses holder, but I couldn't get all of it without disassembling the overhead console. As if it was mocking me, for weeks that summer while driving to work in the morning sun each day, one oily drop, hiding deep within the overhead console, would drip on the forearm of my work shirt, as if to say, "Good job, idiot."

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 15, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The fact that multiple people in this thread know what Robie is makes my heart all warm. :3:

I still have mine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that the coin eating robot? I had one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My too drat hot story just happened recently.
The rear view mirror in my car just decided it had had enough and let loose from the windshield. Wouldn't normally be a problem but it decided to pull a chunk of glass about the size of a BB out with it which caused a crack to start spreading from that spot.
Progressive covered the new replacement windshield no problem.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

I had one of these explode in my EF hatch a year or so ago, I still find pieces of it from time to time. The experience has made me a Bic customer for life :france:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I had one of these explode in my EF hatch a year or so ago, I still find pieces of it from time to time. The experience has made me a Bic customer for life :france:

When I was a kid, my mom bought a pack of those and left them in the backseat, in the middle of summer in Texas.

She came out after work and there was plastic confetti of every color in the car. Those fuckers are dangerous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

... buzz? :v:

If those were yellow jackets or hornets I'd say hell with it just fire it up and the problem will take care of itself, but we need all the honeybees we can save.
It'd be worth it for the "Hornets take down Raptor" clickbait and the ensuing Dos Gringos song.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

InitialDave posted:

It'd be worth it for the "Hornets take down Raptor" clickbait and the ensuing Dos Gringos song.

I cannot believe this is the first time I've seen/heard this joke.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Forgot about a bic lighter on my dash for a while and it burst earlier in the summer. Wasn't driving or even in the car, or it could have ended badly.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Gay Weed Dad posted:

When I was a cool dude and smoking behind the toilets at school I couldn't get one of these to light so I threw it at a wall. It exploded like a fire cracker and I ran from the scene like a kid who was about to be caught smoking at school.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mythbusters did a whole thing where they couldn't get a can to explode in a car and claimed it couldn't be done. Well I've seen it happen first hand. Friend of mine runs an Airsoft wargaming company and left a can of HFC22 propellant (used for the gas powered pistols) on the van dashboard. It took out the windscreen and a side window. It was also sitting next to a stack of his freshly printed promotional bumper stickers and turned them into sticky-backed vinyl confetti that coated the interior. It happened again a couple of years later to another mutual friend with a can inside a polymer gun case. Broke part of the gun and put a piece of metal through the top of the case and into his cars roof lining.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Mythbusters also said you couldn't do a burnout that set fire the to tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFTOUfhOu8

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

IPCRESS posted:

I think we all knew which video that was before clicking

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ReelBigLizard posted:

Mythbusters did a whole thing where they couldn't get a can to explode in a car and claimed it couldn't be done. Well I've seen it happen first hand. Friend of mine runs an Airsoft wargaming company and left a can of HFC22 propellant (used for the gas powered pistols) on the van dashboard. It took out the windscreen and a side window. It was also sitting next to a stack of his freshly printed promotional bumper stickers and turned them into sticky-backed vinyl confetti that coated the interior. It happened again a couple of years later to another mutual friend with a can inside a polymer gun case. Broke part of the gun and put a piece of metal through the top of the case and into his cars roof lining.

I blew up a can of Coke earlier this month. The top was peeled off about 3/4 of the way around.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

:perfect:
I couldn't tell if a dude was going woooooooo the entire time or if it was the supercharger. I'm gonna pretend it was a dude in the sides.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SouthsideSaint posted:

I couldn't tell if a dude was going woooooooo the entire time or if it was the supercharger. I'm gonna pretend it was a dude in the sides.

Same.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Manual fleet vehicle :psyduck:

All the fleet cars I've driven have been manuals, then again I'm Swedish. The only exception being a Toyota Prius.

When I worked in hospital IT we had two Toyota Avensis wagons, one red and one blue. The red one they went crazy with the options on, had both CD and tape player for some reason (this was an '05!) and climate control, all electric windows, etc. The blue one was slightly newer but was some sort of miserable fleet spec and had nothing but a radio if I recall correctly.

Best fleet cars they had actually was the VW Golfs and Jettas. Pretty quick even with the small engine optioning.

For content our dumb rear end team leader horribly mechanically failed in his brain and whacked the focus wagon into a very obvious concrete column in the garage one day and we struggled to hold our laughter in.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SouthsideSaint posted:

That car is its own biggest fan.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
And the tire BECAME the Michelin Man.