Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

You're more mature than I am. I would've completely lost it at that point.

I was typing in FC chat after I rolled "watch this drg beat me and win the mount" so I guess I am cynical and pessimistic enough to mount farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Spent two hours grinding 15 legendary manjimutt coins only to find out I had already purchased the weapon.

The main quest continues unfinished

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know, I have to wonder why the Garleans haven't just written Eorzea off. Every attempt to take it since Ala Migo has resulted in incredible losses of soliders and money.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Welp this past week I resubscribed after having left the game about a week after Alexander launched and I'm now all caught up on the story and completed nearly every 3.x dungeon and non-Savage raid :toot:

They added a lot of cool poo poo in those patches. Void Ark is awesome, as is Alex Midas (I hated Gordias at the time it launched, just did not like most of those mechanics). Loved the new dungeons, and the main story quest had some solid enough story beats (the final cutscene before the Nidhogg trial is pretty incredible, even if everything after it was kind of meh).

I'm surprised they wrapped up Ishgard so neatly with a bow when it seems like there's another couple content patches, but I guess that'll deal with this Ascian storyline, which... I gotta say, is not nearly as interesting as the dragon stuff. The Warriors of Darkness are hilarious and bad. I guess they've got to get the rest of the Warring Triad out of the way too, right? Unless they plan to have you return to Azys Lla during the next expansion? And it seems like the Garleans are probably out of the way until 4.0, what with Regula van Hydrus getting totally owned in 3.3.

Also, I left off Hildebrand at like the 2.3ish story stuff, and powering through that to 3.3 was a fantastic experience, by far the most fun I've had watching cutscenes in an MMO. Hildebrand 3.2 and 3.3 was incredible, and I'm excited to see that get continued.

I reckon I'll finish up the last bits of content I have left - Weeping City and Pharos Sirius hard - as well as some of the 2.0 dungeons I never did, then let my subscription lapse again (reckon Destiny and potentially the new WoW expansion are going to sap any desire I have for doing endgame-y stuff or an alt class). I might actually pick this back up for 3.4 depending on how much gets added, but either way I think I'll be back before the next expansion drops just so I can do the last stages of Alex and Void Ark/sky pirate stuff while people are still running them. This game owns and this week has made me realize I kind of missed it and its stupid-yet-strangely-compelling story.

though the one thing I still haven't gotten around to is figuring out what the hell BLM's AOE rotation is supposed to be. ah well, I don't think anyone in my duties have noticed...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Spent two hours grinding 15 legendary manjimutt coins only to find out I had already purchased the weapon.

The main quest continues unfinished
This is why I made a yokai atma grinding spreadsheet

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Tae posted:

Just a question, is the story of FF14 done (as in, resolves what was started with the empire and poo poo) and Heavensward is an epilogue/extra story?

Nah, in fact, Heavensward even adds more questions on some of ARR's unresolved plot-threads.

Zodiark stuff is still going on and probably won't have an end any time soon, I highly doubt the Crystal Braves subplot will be resolved in the Heavensward cycle, and I swear the same dude has been twirling his handlebar mustache about finding Omega Weapon for over a year now on three separate occasions.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 15, 2016

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

You know, I have to wonder why the Garleans haven't just written Eorzea off. Every attempt to take it since Ala Migo has resulted in incredible losses of soliders and money.

My understanding of it is that it's because Eorzea won't genocide the poo poo out of all their beastmen the way the Garlean Empire did. They continue to summon their primals, which Garlemond considers an existential threat. Ifrit or Garuda could temper entire countries and then basically take over the planet.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

though the one thing I still haven't gotten around to is figuring out what the hell BLM's AOE rotation is supposed to be. ah well, I don't think anyone in my duties have noticed...

AoE any pack of 3 or more mobs. The basics: Fire 3 to start off, Fire 2 until you're almost out of mana, then Flare, Transpose, Fire 3 once you have enough MP to cast it, then repeat.

Use Ley Lines if you have it, though you'll need to wait maybe .1 seconds after you regenerate mana to cast Fire 3 because otherwise you won't have enough mana to cast Fire 2 twice and that fucks everything up. Use Enochian for the 5% damage buff but don't refresh it with Blizzard 4, it's a DPS loss.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
So I learned a neat thing today:

Wind-Up Ultros dances with the Calca and Brina minions! He has to start with just one doll, but after that more dolls can be thrown in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tae posted:

Just a question, is the story of FF14 done (as in, resolves what was started with the empire and poo poo) and Heavensward is an epilogue/extra story?

Here are the major plot threads I can think of:

Initial Garlean invasion of Eorzea / Ultima weapon 1.0 - 2.0 Currently resolved.
Beast tribe primals in the 3 city states 1.0 - 2.3 Currently resolved.
Ishgardian Isolation / Reunification of Eorzea 1.0 - 2.0 Resolved.
The Dragonsong War 2.3 - 3.3 Resolved.
Ascians / Zodiark 2.0 - ?? Unresolved
Uldah Rebellion 2.1 - 3.0 On haitus.
Garlean presence in Ala-Mhigo 4.0?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 15, 2016

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i mean you got omega weapon, WOD, ala mhigo, nonstop uldahn political fuckery, ascians, the possibility that the WOL is becoming a primal, various strifes the scions are undergoing

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Empire is still around, too. Maybe they'll come into play with Ala Mhigan storyline.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farg posted:

nonstop uldahn political fuckery,

Why don't we end 2.55 with killing the Sultana and framing the player for it and then handwave it and go "nah it was sleeping potion!" and return everything to status quo

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Leal posted:

Why don't we end 2.55 with killing the Sultana and framing the player for it and then handwave it and go "nah it was sleeping potion!" and return everything to status quo

I can't even express how much that second spoiler disappointed me. Like drat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leal posted:

That sounds stupid as gently caress, why would they-

:negative:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Farg posted:

the possibility that the WOL is becoming a primal

The what? What is your reasoning behind this one, because I can't think of any reason this would be the case.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Leal posted:

I think i'm one of the few people this didn't even surprise - given the brutality of the whole sequence, I knew she was alive the second they failed to confirm the kill.

HiKaizer posted:

The what? What is your reasoning behind this one, because I can't think of any reason this would be the case.

Primals are people's hopes made manifest, powered by Aether. As more people rely on you, your power seems to grow to match - as though you're being worshipped by the people of Eorzea the way the beast tribes do their Primals.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 15, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
primals are empowered by people's belief in them and pretty much four countries are all whole hog on the wol bandwagon

not saying I've seen anything in the story that makes me think it's actually happening, it's just within the realm of plausibility in the universe

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

HiKaizer posted:

Well, the WOL is asked by everyone to solver their problems for them. Not much different than the beast tribe primals. And as we've seen with Ramuh not all of them are inherently malicious, but will definitely act out in defense of those who need them. Then there's the revelation Thordan has in his final moments while staring at them. I can see where they're coming from with that one.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That'd just mean that there'd be a Warrior of Light primal based off the Warrior of Light (PC), not that you're becoming one.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Argas posted:

That'd just mean that there'd be a Warrior of Light primal based off the Warrior of Light (PC), not that you're becoming one.

There are already three canonical examples of singular entities becoming primals - Phoenix, Shiva and Thordan.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People literally becoming primals because everybody put their hopes on them and then they were exposed to a bunch of aether has literally happened in the plot already. WoL primal is super plausible

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but all of those were people becoming something else.

Edit: I mean, it's definitely plausible but I'd see it as a case of you fighting the WoL Primal rather than the PC controlling it or it being a cutscene power-up.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 15, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's not just plausible, I'd even call it likely to hapen sometime in the future if things continue to progress as they have been. The WoL's been expanding their influence a lot from the beginning. Even the dragons are putting faith in the WoL now, and the WoL is more powerful than any of them too.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

For the rest of the 3.x storyline, I expect Lahabrea will be freed from Nidhogg's eye by Elidibus/the warriors of darkness. He'll probably remind the Garleans that the Heart of Sabik, the core of Ultima Weapon, is still sitting around the ruins of Praetorium to give them a reason to launch another invasion of Eorzea in order to reclaim it. WoL will stop them and with Ishgard + the dragons as part of the Eorzean alliance, we'll launch a counteroffensive against the Garleans and try to retake Ala Mhigo.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HiKaizer posted:

Gotta remember the WoL is soloing pretty much all the content save poo poo like Ultima where the story is explicitly saying you're doing this with buddies. You're way more powerful than any mortal should be, and crystal momma's blessing ain't the only empowerment you're rocking at that.

Actual question for the thread though. Gave Titan EX a couple tries tonight, but I've noticed a couple of my friends have real trouble dodging weight of the land. Any tips I can give them other than git gud?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Brainamp posted:

Gotta remember the WoL is soloing pretty much all the content save poo poo like Ultima where the story is explicitly saying you're doing this with buddies. You're way more powerful than any mortal should be, and crystal momma's blessing ain't the only empowerment you're rocking at that.

Actual question for the thread though. Gave Titan EX a couple tries tonight, but I've noticed a couple of my friends have real trouble dodging weight of the land. Any tips I can give them other than git gud?

The tolerances on it are super tight. Other than explaining Titans rotation, you're pretty much going to have to tell them to keep looking at the ground more than anything else. And if anyones lagging any amount, they're pretty much going to be eating them.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Titan attacks in a pre-defined pattern, so it's actually easy to know when it's coming up so that they can be prepared to dodge it. There are Titan apps for timing it, but if they just memorize when it happens then they'll be fine. It's a nice little buffer for some people.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Titan ex is bullshit given the average latency to server so there's just banging on it until it works.

Edit In a single player experience the way that fight is would be acceptable but in an MMO it's plain bad and stupid. As I said early people who think otherwise have Stockholm syndrome

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 15, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yep I think it's time for that argument again.

What is the "average latency to server" though?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you know the fight you know when plumes are about to come out and you can prepare yourself to dodge them before it actually happens. Yes if you're pulling 150+ ping getting out of the orange circle in time could be tricky but that's not fundamentally different from eating any other orange circle in the game--Titan just has more and deadlier ones than the norm. But it's not bullshit at all for an Extreme primal to ask players to memorize the timing of the fight and think a few seconds ahead--the design intent is for it to take a reasonably competent premade more than one lockout to learn.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like yeah titan isn't trivialized by gear in the same way garuda or ifrit are but how is that indicative of "bullshit"?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Niton posted:

I think i'm one of the few people this didn't even surprise - given the brutality of the whole sequence, I knew she was alive the second they failed to confirm the kill.

Yeah, same. They set up somnus, the illegal drug involved, as far back as 1.0. Within a few days of seeing 2.55 unfold, I was theorizing how Nanamo could still be alive through the drink. Additionally, even if this was a sort of copout, there were still real consequences with the loss of Raubahn's arm.

i enjoy plot

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Brainamp posted:

Australian ping is real, yo.

The tryhardish solution would be for people to buckle down and learn the pattern - each phase of titan is entirely scripted, so he does his attacks in a fixed order. Knowing what's coming up next lets you prepare for it before it actually happens, effectively giving you more time than just responding on reaction time alone. The low-effort solution is just to do it unsynced and move onto Ifrit to show off that fight, then continue the tour of the other old EX content.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Titan ex is bullshit given the average latency to server so there's just banging on it until it works.

I play on the American server and I'm from the UK. Considering most players from this side of the great pond are likely mostly on the EU server, I refuse to believe that my ping is above average and I have plenty of room on Titan. It's unfortunate for those with poorer ping, but come on. I've never even had to learn the pattern.

E:

Olesh posted:

Australian ping is real, yo.

I still find it dumb that they've not at least set up a server or two for Australians.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just got cids airship, I have no idea what a zodiark is or what thing about ultima. I'm just still on a 20 hour quest to beat garuda.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

I just got cids airship, I have no idea what a zodiark is or what thing about ultima. I'm just still on a 20 hour quest to beat garuda.

Oh yeah, the other weird story tangent.

"All my friends got captured. We must rescue them immediately! We'll do it in about 30 game hours and I'm 15 levels stronger."

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

like yeah titan isn't trivialized by gear in the same way garuda or ifrit are but how is that indicative of "bullshit"?

I posted about this last year as well but it's also computer specs (basically the old computer I used for this game shaved around .5-1.0 seconds of every aoe marker in the game). Ifrit and Garuda aren't trivialized so much by gear but by standing in certain positions for most of the fight so that you minimize having to move out of aoes by just knowing where they're going to be.

The problem with Titan is that the aoes are player based rather than position based (Eruption is player based but was interrupted near constantly in 2.x), so the main way of dealing with it would be "Don't be where you were 2 seconds ago" as opposed to "Don't be where the aoe will appear". Also it didn't help that Landslide would one shot you. I mean the only real ways I can think to dodge Landslides/Weights would be to know the fight well enough to know when they'd spawn, to the second. Or to just play a Bard and spend 50% of the fight running around in anticipation of aoes that might hit me.

To give an example about how dumb it was playing with a poo poo computer, assuming that Eruptions got interrupted, I could finish Ifrit while taking no damage, while every Magitek Beam from Ultima Story would hit me without fail.

Edit: Unless specified, I'm talking about HM here, since that's where most of my "poo poo computer" issues became absolutely unbearable.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 15, 2016

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
You know, if the Warrior of Light is the Eorzean primal, what if Ishgard rejoining the alliance is actually the WoL tempering the nation? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You need a bunch of aether suffused into a being to transform them into a primal as we've seen in three situations. This has not happened to the WoL yet, he has merely channeled aether through other objects. It wasn't using Tupsimati that made Louisoix into Phoenix after all.

The Warrior of Light is no more a primal than any particularly charismatic leader is a primal. Even if you had a bunch of aether stuffed into you there's no guarantee you'd become a primal unless you specifically willed it, again as in all three situations where someone became a primal.

No doubt someone could summon a primal that fitted their ideal of the warrior of light however. That seems unlikely as there is already a quest line about fighting yourself in the game already.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 15, 2016

• Locked thread