Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i think the funniest thing microsoft did was rename lync to SKYPE FOR BUSINESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

Slack is Discord for yuppies and old people.

Its an IRC reboot

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CommieGIR posted:

Its an IRC reboot

Again, literally Discord with some yuppie paint.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lady Naga posted:

Again, literally Discord with some yuppie paint.

technically if you go by release cycles, discord is slack for hipster gamers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Slack manages to combine the worst aspects of email and IM into a single communication system.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Discord is Slack with a much less plausible business model.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

Discord's business model is to sell cosmetic skins to gamers.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

exploding mummy posted:

Discord's business model is to sell cosmetic skins to gamers.

i interviewed with them and i think their business model is actually exploiting their employees

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

i interviewed with them and i think their business model is actually exploiting their employees

But that's every startup.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

But that's every startup.

it's all enterprises under capitalism, comrade

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Did someone say Slack?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Snapchat is in LA not SF so technically they're not an SV company

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah its Silicon Beach :smugdog:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

corn in the bible posted:

It's because ~brand identity~ is a thing that people actively care about and not just a thing where people occasionally remember an ad about a thing they now want to buy.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

corn in the bible posted:

You'd think that after 20 years of "Hey, people know (and possibly even like) our product X, why don't we name product Y with some variant of X", they would have learned that it doesn't work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wheany posted:

You'd think that after 20 years of "Hey, people know (and possibly even like) our product X, why don't we name product Y with some variant of X", they would have learned that it doesn't work.

Bill "I have no taste" Gates Steven "Developers" Ballmer Satya "Nutella" Nutella's subordinates' ideas cannot fail, they can only be failed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

Best Buy has been noted for their bait and switch tactics in the past. I briefly worked for Geek Squad when I was a teen, and was the only one actually with any certifications.

Initially, it was all about fixing customer's machines (Best Buy had JUST acquired Geek Squad), but then it became about selling people new computers, even lying about their machine being infected beyond the point of no return.

Yeah, I worked for GS just after the acquisition as well, and got out when I got a better job as a datacenter tech, right before they decided to go to having all their software repair work done by remote techs. The amount of time I spent stuck selling printers because the PC sales team were incompetent while customer machines sat behind the counter not getting fixed was absurdly frustrating.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
None of these email killers are going to have any staying power if they're proprietary.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Xibanya posted:

None of these email killers are going to have any staying power if they're proprietary.

Replacing email is one step beyond replacing facebook.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't know about the yuppie one but Discord definitely has no ambitions about replacing email.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If peeps are gonna disrupt anything I would like secure email.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

If peeps are gonna disrupt anything I would like secure email.

There was some talk a year back or so about Gmail and maybe Yahoo mail planning to offer some kind of user-friendly JavaScript-powered PGP or something on them, I wonder if anything came of that.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's like a godwins law for tech poo poo where all "tech" conversations eventually trend toward bitchy anecdotes about best buy

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Lol it really is true that this thread exists solely for jealousy inspired ranting about tech companies isn't it

Slack is cool and good

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't really know what Slack is and all I do know is that my company still uses Lync (which is still branded as Lync).

We are fairly nimble for a large company though; it only seems to take about 3 years between a technology being released and us adopting it. Which I guess means another two years before we all get Windows 10.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gail Wynand posted:

Lol it really is true that this thread exists solely for jealousy inspired ranting about tech companies isn't it

Slack is cool and good

"Jealous" is a weird way to put it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Where is the unicorn disrupting email with block chains?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

Slack is cool and good

Yeah bro very jealous about these innovative companies

DISRUPT THE WORLDDDD

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
if you need secure email i bet you work for the government and you make 50k/year lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

namaste faggots posted:

if you need secure email i bet you work for the government and you make 50k/year lmao
Google got hacked by the Chinese government a few years back, as have other prominent companies that I misremember. Corporate espionage is also a real thing that exists. Email security is a nightmare for any corporation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gail Wynand posted:

Slack is cool and good

Slack in a ten person team is good.

Slack in a 50+ person organization mutates into a shockingly god awful productivity leach and stress source.

The first however isn't sufficient to support a $3b valuation so...

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

I'm actually worried about this because I kind of like Discord and I want it to do well, but I also get this creeping feeling that no matter how good the product turns out to be, the company will fail regardless due to how they have absolutely no discernible business model. (Or at least it will eventually go down the same road Skype did in terms of degradation of product quality and functionality.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We still use Microsoft Office Communicator, It's like using MSN back in the day except you are doing it in the present year.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

jaete posted:

There was some talk a year back or so about Gmail and maybe Yahoo mail planning to offer some kind of user-friendly JavaScript-powered PGP or something on them, I wonder if anything came of that.

quote:

I receive a fair amount of email from strangers. My email address is public, which doesn’t seem to be a popular choice these days, but I’ve received enough inspiring correspondence over the years to leave it be.

When I receive a GPG encrypted email from a stranger, though, I immediately get the feeling that I don’t want to read it. Sometimes I actually contemplate creating a filter for them so that they bypass my inbox entirely, but for now I sigh, unlock my key, start reading, and – with a faint glimmer of hope – am typically disappointed.

I didn’t start out thinking this way. After all, my website even has my GPG key posted under my email address. It’s a feeling that has slowly crept up on me over the past decade, but I didn’t immediately understand where it came from. There’s no obvious unifying theme to the content of these emails, and they’re always written in earnest – not spam, or some form of harassment.

Eventually I realized that when I receive a GPG encrypted email, it simply means that the email was written by someone who would voluntarily use GPG. I don’t mean someone who cares about privacy, because I think we all care about privacy. There just seems to be something particular about people who try GPG and conclude that it’s a realistic path to introducing private communication in their lives for casual correspondence with strangers.

Increasingly, it’s a club that I don’t want to belong to anymore.

read the entire thing, it's good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

namaste faggots posted:

*faxes u medical records*

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*faxes u medical records*

has not stopped anyone since forever

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It really was good. Thanks. I was disappointed that he didn't pursue the line that people who use gpg voluntarily probably also believe in bitcoin and The Singularity.

God, I have a gen-1 PGP pair of keys somewhere. On 3.5" floppy. I used it to communicate with a friend when we had reason to believe that the consulting company we worked for was not above reading people's mail. Also because it was fun, in that lemon-juice-on-paper way. Those messages, if I still had them (I don't) are probably breakable now with very little effort.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It really was good. Thanks. I was disappointed that he didn't pursue the line that people who use gpg voluntarily probably also believe in bitcoin and The Singularity.

God, I have a gen-1 PGP pair of keys somewhere. On 3.5" floppy. I used it to communicate with a friend when we had reason to believe that the consulting company we worked for was not above reading people's mail. Also because it was fun, in that lemon-juice-on-paper way. Those messages, if I still had them (I don't) are probably breakable now with very little effort.

I think it's simplistic to have that assumption about those users, but I do think there might be some (perhaps significant) overlap. The problem is that if the process required to encrypt your communications is too cumbersome, only very obsessive people will use it outside of a real top-secret scenario.

Nowadays apps like Whatsapp and Viber, not to mention things like Telegram, offer end to end encryption in an effortless way. Of course, the funny thing is that most people are still terrible at securing their devices, and forget that encryption means nothing if anyone can easily access your phone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I just write an email, print it, and then snapchat a pic of it to the other person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

blowfish posted:

It's because ~brand identity~ is a thing that people actively care about and not just a thing where people occasionally remember an ad about a thing they now want to buy.

it sort of worked because i installed skype for business thinking it was skype but it wasn't skype so i uninstalled it