Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I sure hope no one was flying in an airship when the Mist receded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Ah, the obligatory evil tree boss.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And thus, Lindblum held an iron fisted monopoly for the next two centuries on airships.

Or at least they would have, if they hadn't just gotten wrecked.

As I understand, the chests in the Iifa Tree also look different from anything we would have seen up to this point. Isn't that another red flag for Mega64 to point out?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

There's also a nice secondary benefit for Phoenix, in that if you party gets wiped there's a chance Phoenix completely revives them, as long as Eiko is in the party. It's related to the number of Phoenix Pinions in your party, namely Pinions/256 chance. Naturally, this means you have at max a 99/256 or 38.7% chance of being revived from a party wipe. It has a separate animation and I'll show that if I actually get the opportunity to.

Luckily, Gitan & friends get wiped periodically so here's that version of it. Interestingly, you don't even need to have the Phoenix ability - just the Pinions in inventory.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They like to make Soulcage immune to Raise (Life) in actual serious FFRK content. Not that it's the biggest deal, but the cheese strategies really did get tuned out later. I remember being intimidated by this part of FF9 quite a bit, too. It just gets crazier from here.

By the way, the Iifa Tree music has a motif similar to that of the Moon World Map theme from FF4. Intentional callback or happy accident, it's your choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Probably not an accident given all the intentional homages in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's worth noting that the treasure chests in the Iifa tree use a completely different model than all the others seen so far.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

When you're sexting your bae and your mom texts you.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Soulcage is a neat idea of a boss since he uses his own weakness against you via Fire Blades. Also, his closing line talking about futility of fighting him was suitably cheesy/awesome enough to make me memorize it as a kid.

And then you chump him with a Phoenix Down.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Eiko :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing to point out is that Soulcage never clarified how the Mist was produced, just that it was part of the 'refining process'. We still don't know what the origin of the Mist is, we just know its delivery mechanism.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I have seen the end of my thousand-year life, and it is not now.

*Casts Life.*

Wait aaaaaaaaaaargggggggggh-

More seriously, the Iifa Tree is one of my favorite areas in the game. The atmosphere is haunting and unique, the music is great and unsettling, and the bottom of the tree is just so bizarre and dare I say eldritch that it really feels like you've just stumbled upon the tip of a terrifying iceburg - which I'm pretty sure is exactly what they wanted.

I also like how you can totally chump Soulcage despite all his ominous posturing, yet if you decide to take him on seriously he's actually a pretty cool boss fight.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like they could've pumped the boss for more information before starting to wail on him

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

And thus, Lindblum held an iron fisted monopoly for the next two centuries on airships.

And thus, Lindblum's airship fleet and all the commerce ships plummeted to the earth, killing or stranding each ship's crew while crippling the Mist continent's economy. At least the survivors will live healthier lives.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

thetruegentleman posted:

And thus, Lindblum's airship fleet and all the commerce ships plummeted to the earth, killing or stranding each ship's crew while crippling the Mist continent's economy. At least the survivors will live healthier lives.

Steam airships :science:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Echoing that the Iifa tree is great. The final area being a harp with strings of water that is Life Energy or something really hammers home how weird everything is. There's enough subtle hints to tell you roughly what's going on (the tree above is dead, all the encounters are with zombies of some sort, but the area down below is chock full of life. Also the mist is a 'byproduct of the refining process') and it is really neat when it comes back later.

Alas, there are only two in the world. One of which doesn't work so well because Cid's queen got jealous.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The Mist is obviously Mako, refined from the Lifestream at the bottom of the tree, which is actually just a giant Mako Reactor. Also, the descent to the bottom of the tree has always made me think of descending the crater to the core of the planet. Probably intentional given all the other homages and references to FFs past in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As a kid I just kept wondering what the giant harp was for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It plays the melodies of life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Weeble posted:

The Mist is obviously Mako, refined from the Lifestream at the bottom of the tree, which is actually just a giant Mako Reactor. Also, the descent to the bottom of the tree has always made me think of descending the crater to the core of the planet. Probably intentional given all the other homages and references to FFs past in the game.

the 'Earth as a Living Being' was an idea very close to the SE writers' hearts at this time.
So much so that they reused it for ff7, ff9 and Spirits Within. I also think some spinoffs had this as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Shintoism sure is a thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love status effect attacks in this game for bosses. Sure it might screw you over first time but in the rematch, equip the appropriate status effect guarding ability and suddenly the boss starts to waste their turns a lot and gives you ample time to heal or whatever.

It makes this and a certain much later fight a lot easier in the difficulty hacks I've played.

the 'Earth as a Living Being' was an idea very close to the SE writers' hearts at this time.
So much so that they reused it for ff7, ff9 and Spirits Within. I also think some spinoffs had this as well.

The Farplane ends up like this in X-2. In X, it was just a standard afterlife so far as I could tell but in the sequel it's a source of life energy at the center of the planet and is being tapped by Shinra.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 15, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sorry double post

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I never before noticed the triangle symbol on the first Iifa Tree elevator. That's neat, since it shows up in a few other places.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Pureauthor posted:

Foreshadowing for Ar Tonelico.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that all-consuming war is "the refining process" Treeface talked about?

Also I wonder if that stuff actually makes people more aggressive or if just giving feudal civilizations airship technology increases their expanding-and-maiming radius.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax

bewilderment posted:

I never before noticed the triangle symbol on the first Iifa Tree elevator. That's neat, since it shows up in a few other places.

It's the Illuminati behind it all

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Even Soulcage has hobbies.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Alxprit posted:

They like to make Soulcage immune to Raise (Life) in actual serious FFRK content. Not that it's the biggest deal, but the cheese strategies really did get tuned out later. I remember being intimidated by this part of FF9 quite a bit, too. It just gets crazier from here.

By the way, the Iifa Tree music has a motif similar to that of the Moon World Map theme from FF4. Intentional callback or happy accident, it's your choice.

You know, now that you mention it, I can hear it. That along with the Mystida/Black Mage village music are nice little easter eggs.
That said, FF9 has a LOT of callbacks to FF4, some of those including plot elements. However, to divulge the full details would be heavy spoilers.

Also, the cutscene music for the Mist stopping is so beautiful, but is achingly short. I want more, dangit! :allears:

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Glazius posted:

Also I wonder if that stuff actually makes people more aggressive or if just giving feudal civilizations airship technology increases their expanding-and-maiming radius.

Based on its role in creating monsters out of normal animals, I suspect it actually makes people more aggressive. Additionally, although it's not supported in the text, I half suspect the Brahne's notable change in demeanor upon meeting Kuja, notorious producer of mist-powered weapons and friend of the tree itself, is due to mist exposure courtesy of Sir Thongsalot himself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

WIND SOUNDS

Will this clear up your Mist Continent?
I think so.

As some posters have said, it'll probably also result in any airships aloft at the time to come crashing down and likely killing the crew and passengers, plus crippling trade for the continent. But our actions have no consequences so it's all good.

Anyway, we did all this to lure Kuja since a silver dragon was seen around here apparently.

It said that black mages are made from the Mist, right? When I thought about how other black mages were being made for war... I didn't want that to happen, no matter what.

I think they'll all hate me.

Listen to me.

After all, your brothers wouldn't want you to do that.
Do you really think so? Do you think...they'll understand?
Of course! They're your brothers. It'll be alright.

As I said last update, Eiko is very similar to Zidane, even down to the daily Vivi pep talks.

Eiko!
What's the matter? Why did you come all this way?

Okay, I'll be right back!
Alright, I'll go on ahead and tell the others.

Wait, Eiko! What's up?
Someone stole something precious from the village!

Thanks, but what about Kuja!?
Madain Sari isn't that far.

Eiko did help them out with the Iifa Tree, so might as well return the favor, right?

Anyway, a short and rather uneventful trek back to Madain Sari.

Moco told me the news. Are you alright?
Come now! Talk later, kupo!

All the moogles are congregated around this area. No sign of Quina anywhere, guess it got washed away or something again. Oh well, we're at a full party anyway so who cares.

Looks like Lani's lumbered gently caress it I can't do a good alliteration for this one.

FADE TO WAVE SOUNDS

It's... It's...

They said that we should take care of it because it's a symbol of the summoners' heritage.

Alright. How about we start looking for clues?
I'll help, too.

<Hiccup.>

<Hiccup.>

<Hiccup.>

Eiko?

<Hiccup.>

You understand, right? The real villain is the thief who stole it. So, let's just look for some clues and get that stone back, okay?
<Hiccup.>

We know, Eiko. But if you feel like crying, just cry.

Of course, Eiko's only six years old and not that used to bad things happening to her (well, other than losing her grandfather I imagine), so she can't hold it together quite as well as Zidane.

What about you, Zidane? What do you do when you need to cry?

When Zidane and Dagger first meet, they're pretty chummy up until Lindblum, when Dagger gets sick of Zidane's antics while wanting to prove she can do things by herself. Then once she and Zidane get back together, Dagger's feeling miserable due to a combination of failure, losing her eidolons, helplessly watching her mother conquer other nations, and Zidane being Zidane kinda put the brakes on things a bit. This bit to me feels like the first time Zidane and Dagger have acted the way they did in the early game, flirtatious with Dagger playing along and without Zidane being as over-the-top. They're definitely getting closer in a way I doubt either of them have really noticed.

But who cares poo poo's going down.

Dammit! The thief was still here!

They went to the Eidolon Wall!

A couple items to loot here, but nothing exciting.

All the moogles are congregating out here.

Tell us if there's anything we can do for you, kupo!

We can wait to gear up, heal, or peek inside. Let's peek.

What's this wing ornament on your back? It makes you so easy to pick up.
My grandpa gave it to me! Get your grubby hands off it!
Oh, shut up. Just be still until he gets here.

In case you were wondering about Eiko's wings, they're cosmetic. Mystery solved.

Use it for Eiko, kupo!

Free Exploda and Elixir. Not too shabby.

It's a good idea to use Man Eater for this upcoming fight, as you may expect.

Next prompt will ask us where Mog is.

Was Mog captured, too?
Nope, Mog is right here behind me.

Mog, I need your help to save Eiko.
Ku-Kupo...
I got an idea. It's alright. You won't be in any danger.
Ku...po...
It's no use. Mog has always been a coward.
Yeah... Well, we gotta do something.

Standing here debating our options is getting us nowhere. Might as well jump in and save her.

What have you done to Eiko!?
She was too rambunctious, so I put her to sleep with a sleeping weed.
Sleeping weed, eh? Then she's probably sleeping well.

gently caress I knew I should've equipped Insomniac on her.

No can do. This is way too convenient to pass up!

What happened to the pendant that you always have on!?
I have it.
Oh, you really are a good knight. Now, cough it up already!

Queen Brahne is after the royal pendant. I found another jewel just like it in this village! I'm glad I came all this way looking for it!

(If only Eiko was conscious...)

You're plotting something, aren't you? Stay right there!
Grr!

Huh? M-Me?
Bring me the pendant! Remember, do as I say if you value this brat's life!
Zidane...

O-Okay...

FADE TO SILENCE

Yo! Can you stand?
Huh? What's going on?

Oh, that's it! Who are you calling a hag!?
You!
So, the tables turn! Now, hand over the jewel you stole!

I thought you're supposed to be the number one bandit!

He's the one with wanted posters all over Treno!

This guy also happened to be yet another person competing in the Hunter's Festival, along with Lani and Quina. Small world, huh?

What are you talking about?
Leave the jewel and get out of here.
What!? We're partners on this job!

Well, that's taken care of. Good thing this random guy saved us!

...WELP!

I told you. I'm not here to help. I just want to level the playing field.
Fair enough. Let's do it.
Zidane!
It's okay.

Zidane being Zidane, as always.

This is Scarlet Hair. And what a mane this guy has!

This is a solo fight with Zidane, and kinda gimmicky as well. All this guy does are physical attacks.

He only has an Ether and those Poison Knuckles that are on sale everywhere that no one can use.

Scarlet Hair has a gimmick where he'll jump around randomly, raising his evasion.

Then he'll literally tell you he's gonna attack you for a couple rounds before going back to hopping around all over the place.

The physicals don't do much damage, and Zidane evades a fair number because Distract is an awesome ability.

The guy has close to 9000HP, so it takes a bit of whittling down, but nothing Zidane can't handle.

Didn't even need items for this one. Maybe you should've focused on boosting strength instead of HP, ya chump.

Can you stand?

You wanna die that bad? I just spared your life.
So you want to banish me, then?
You can go if ya want. I won't follow you.
Aha! Trying to trick me, eh?
Trick you?

The fight's over, and we're both still alive. Good enough, right? We got back what was stolen from us, after all.
Listen to you. I lost to some spineless thief.

Yeah, that guy has some serious issues. Oh well, he's gone probably forever.

FADE TO SILENCE

I will! Thanks, Zidane!

Huh?
I'm going!

They shall, but we'll take a break and catch up next time. More plot! Don't worry, there's some good stuff and a few actual answers coming up in the next one. Also maybe one last party member? Could it be Morrison? I won't say it's Morrison (but it's totally Morrison).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Even though Morrison joins your party so late in the game and doesn't get much character development compared to everybody else he's quite solid and fun to use in battle :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When Scarlet Hair is jumping around, his evasion is 255 so he's impossible to hit (evasion is checked against a random number 1-100). Though interestingly, his defense also drops to 0, so if you could hit him you'd do a lot of damage. Special abilities aren't checked for evasion, but the only special abilities Zidane has at this point are his Dyne skills. It doesn't really matter since it's an easy fight anyway.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to see Spike Spiegel survived his fight with Sid. Don't care for the dye job (hair or skin) but probably something to keep the Syndicate off his back.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

When Scarlet Hair is jumping around, his evasion is 255 so he's impossible to hit (evasion is checked against a random number 1-100). Though interestingly, his defense also drops to 0, so if you could hit him you'd do a lot of damage. Special abilities aren't checked for evasion, but the only special abilities Zidane has at this point are his Dyne skills. It doesn't really matter since it's an easy fight anyway.

Even then I think his Dyne abilities ignore defense anyway and do enough damage to one or two-shot Scarlet Hair here. His latest ones should definitely be hitting the damage cap by now.

Also the summoner's village jewel is pretty alike to Garnets. Huh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Squarely Circle posted:

Even though Morrison joins your party so late in the game and doesn't get much character development compared to everybody else he's quite solid and fun to use in battle :allears:

Morrison's okay, but he doesn't really stand out that much in battle. Problem is that in a team of fairly unique characters he just kind of comes off as... bland, and since you've had two discs to already get used to everyone else in battle it's not that compelling to use him.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even then I think his Dyne abilities ignore defense anyway and do enough damage to one or two-shot Scarlet Hair here. His latest ones should definitely be hitting the damage cap by now.

Not only that, but we know from earlier in the game that Garnet's jewel is similar to the Lindblum Falcon's Claw. So that's three very similar jewels.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You'd think step one of 'working together' would be running your plans by each other to make sure everyone is cool with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

They don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pureauthor posted:

You'd think step one of 'working together' would be running your plans by each other to make sure everyone is cool with it.

Or actually working together. Where was Scarlet Hair this whole time?

• Locked thread