Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
CPC is a projectile block, and Guardians are no longer allowed in t4 fractals due to light fields becoming self-aware and plotting to destroy groups, so you may as well have at least one of your four Reapers do something helpful besides stand near mobs that happen to be dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Personally I skip Rise for Blood Is Power most of the time but I'm not that experienced with Necro so I could totally be wrong. I don't really have problems living without Rise (Ele has trained me to play like a coward), though I miss having 100000 hamsters scurrying around and just Lich Form doesn't scratch the same hamster swarm itch. Any idea which is more damage and when? I might just go back to Rise because hamsters

Adhesive Gamin posted:

CPC is a projectile block, and Guardians are no longer allowed in t4 fractals due to light fields becoming self-aware and plotting to destroy groups, so you may as well have at least one of your four Reapers do something helpful besides stand near mobs that happen to be dying.

Also you can do CPC -> Shroud 4 instead of having to do Shroud 5 -> Shroud 4 to set yourself up for a Whirl Finisher, so you can save Shroud 5 for breaking bars. Half the time I just do Shroud 5 -> Shroud 4 as part of breaking bars anyway, but it's nice to have options.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 15, 2016

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
The more you know, I like to run Suffer for more transfers. Since Shroud 3 wasn't mentioned am I some sort of scrub for using it for bars also?

And what is it with light fields? Do they take priority or is it just that a Guardian poops them out to a disturbing degree?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh yeah I'm a dipshit and entirely forgot that double tapping shroud 3 is a good break bar :downs:

Also yeah it's just that Guardians generate Light Fields on ton of abilities and Light Fields are completely worthless and overwrite other fields constantly and suck. Hammer Guardian (ie one of the better PvE builds) spits out a 4 second Light Field every 1.75 seconds, so good luck ever getting a different field for doing combos.

Guardian spits out Light Fields on some abilities that aren't even loving listed as Light Fields. Scepter 2 isn't listed as a Light Field but it is secretly a light field

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zokie posted:

Guardian poops them out to a disturbing degree?

Most def this

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tbh I wish guardian had a trait that just removed light fields from all their abilities or some signet or something. That or make Light Fields not be one of the absolute worst fields in the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation
Area Retaliation

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
^^^ please spoiler awful poo poo and mark it :nms:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Magres posted:

Tbh I wish guardian had a trait that just removed light fields from all their abilities or some signet or something. That or make Light Fields not be one of the absolute worst fields in the game

:nms:They gave Guardians even more light fields.:nms:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

zokie posted:

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1R-GiMTON4

Also Dreghon why Poison Cloud over Blood is Power?

blood is power pros:
high damage
long duration

cons:
duration exceeds life expectancy for trash mobs
individual ticks are low
single target
needs epidemic to do AoE
must transfer conditions to get full effect

poison cloud pros:
aoe
short duration, good for trash
weakness
projectile block
doesn't need epidemic
poison field for shroud 4 whirls (~5k ticks)

cons:
short duration means less damage for bosses (unless whirling)
enemies can run out of it
epidemic doesn't really help

i swap blood is power in when i don't need anything that poison cloud provides, which is rare, but happens. in fractals it's 90% trash so i use it instead

as for rise, 33% damage reduction, anywhere between 1 (if you suck) and 6 (if you're a boss) minions on a varying cooldown, which all pull conditions, transfer them, and explode in an AoE for more damage than blood is power. if you're not using rise, don't use the reaper elite spec.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Kassad posted:

:nms:They gave Guardians even more light fields.:nms:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
lol people still give a poo poo about field combos. That's adorable.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Lonk posted:

lol people still give a poo poo about field combos. That's adorable.
It's more about the inevitability of all fractal bosses having 100% retaliation uptime if any guardian is allowed in.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hey so I just got Jeweler to 400 without really looking into it b/c those slots seemed harder to fill at lvl 80, but can you not actually craft Ascended tier with that skill where every other crafting skill can?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I will poo poo out any field I want and give zero shits. It's not going to ruin your ability to win if you know what you're doing in combat really. Most people just get obsessed with wanting might because they're the same idiots who think you need berserker gear or viper's or whatever the "meta" is now or you'll lose. Then again people think leveling is too slow in GW2 despite the fact it was always quicker than other MMOs and the game literally shits tomes out now. I feel like a lot of people are just impatient and need quicker and quicker satisfaction, but then again I need more SAB already soooo :p

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Mover posted:

Hey so I just got Jeweler to 400 without really looking into it b/c those slots seemed harder to fill at lvl 80, but can you not actually craft Ascended tier with that skill where every other crafting skill can?

Oddly, but not surprising, you cannot craft ascended jewelery. It's been rumored and some material datamined that eventually you can, but nothing has come out yet. Ascended jewelery is the easiest to get however, so you don't worry about it that much.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lonk posted:

I will poo poo out any field I want and give zero shits. It's not going to ruin your ability to win if you know what you're doing in combat really. Most people just get obsessed with wanting might because they're the same idiots who think you need berserker gear or viper's or whatever the "meta" is now or you'll lose. Then again people think leveling is too slow in GW2 despite the fact it was always quicker than other MMOs and the game literally shits tomes out now. I feel like a lot of people are just impatient and need quicker and quicker satisfaction, but then again I need more SAB already soooo :p

I don't pay attention to combo fields either, but those stats are """""""meta""""""" because it gets poo poo done faster. I've only seen leveling in gw2 called slow in comparison to gw1, which it is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also "is worse in other games" is not really a good defense for basically anything.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lonk posted:

Seems like anytime anyone talks about what is optimal and what is weak, if it happens to be something that you do you'll make these angry rants about the discussion even taking place.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Magres posted:

if the next guardian specialization turned all light fields into fire or dark fields that would actually be really good.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Lol at anyone who doesn't just cram minions into all their utility slots (cept RISE though, it's great).

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Combo field control hasn't been a part of the PvE meta for years (since Phalanx Strength warrior got introduced), it's just a persistent minor inconvenience that the specific skill combos which work alone suddenly stop happening when you're around allies. Maybe that area weakness was more helpful than the water blast I wanted, or the Reaper shroud 4 whirl in an errant light field from Druid seed spam saved someone's life! Who knows. The only thing you can really maliciously affect is pre-blasting steath and might.

Also they "buffed" the Zeal minor trait that drops a greatsword symbol to 75% heath threshold instead of 50% so it's even harder for Guardians to not put retaliation up on fractal bosses, but that problem is swept under the rug by embracing the new 4 Reaper 1 Druid meta.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Combo field control hasn't been a part of the PvE meta for years (since Phalanx Strength warrior got introduced), it's just a persistent minor inconvenience that the specific skill combos which work alone suddenly stop happening when you're around allies. Maybe that area weakness was more helpful than the water blast I wanted, or the Reaper shroud 4 whirl in an errant light field from Druid seed spam saved someone's life! Who knows. The only thing you can really maliciously affect is pre-blasting steath and might.

Also they "buffed" the Zeal minor trait that drops a greatsword symbol to 75% heath threshold instead of 50% so it's even harder for Guardians to not put retaliation up on fractal bosses, but that problem is swept under the rug by embracing the new 4 Reaper 1 Druid meta.

Honestly the only combo field control I care about is not having Light Fields out because bosses having Retaliation is awful. If there's a Guardian in the group I'll specifically slot in Corrupt Boon just so I can strip the Retaliation they will inevitably give the boss. It's really dumb that having Guards around generally actively makes it harder for me to survive.

Lonk posted:

Play what you want, just don't make it harder for other people to play what they want without dying. Spamming Light Fields and giving bosses Retaliation is rude and uncool

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

It might not be a problem for long anyway. Get your Radiant Retaliation condi Guardian builds ready!

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Combo fields don't matter if you just flood the fractals with viper necros like a perfect world

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
I intentionally swap to hammer when I use my guardian in group content.

Every 'Area Retaliation' brings a smile to my face. :sun:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

maybe they should just make retaliation good

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
^^ Yah more than people not bringing light fields i want light fields to not be worthless garbage

Make retal damage scale with mob hp in pve there you go ANet I'll take my royalties check now

hexal posted:

I intentionally swap to hammer when I use my guardian in group content.

Every 'Area Retaliation' brings a smile to my face. :sun:

Hammer is easily the best Light Fields though because it spams Protection everywhere and makes it super easy to live.

Redmanred posted:

Combo fields don't matter if you just flood the fractals with viper necros like a perfect world

Yeah this is the real answer. 4 Necro 1 Healer and ggggggggoooooooooooooooooooooo

Hell I don't even care if your poo poo is Viper, bring Rabid and Dire stats for all I care as long as you're rockin a hamster swarm

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've known people to not use Rise! but I decided to sever them from my life and their neck.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What so good about viper necros?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

malhavok posted:

What so good about viper necros?

Many things!

They're incredibly durable - Necros and Warriors are the only 19k base HP classes (Rev/Engi/Ranger/Mesmer get 16k, Guard/Thief/Ele get 11.6k) and Necro gets Shroud. Also there's a trait in one of their universally used lines that heals you for 10% of all condition damage you put out, which can easily be 1k-2k health per second and more or less turns the class into autopilot because you're healing for so damned much. It's a significant DPS loss, but who cares about that when you're not on a time limit and can be basically invincible.

Condition damage is better than Power damage in high level fractals because enemy toughness scales up, which hinders power damage but not condition damage.

Epidemic wipes adds off the face of the earth hilariously (for clarity, Epidemic spreads up to 25 stacks of conditions to all nearby, and really melts adds)

Corrosive Poison Cloud is a long duration, high damage poison AOE that destroys enemy projectiles, which mitigates lots of damage

Lich Form and "Rise!" both generate Jagged Horrors, which do a great job of distracting enemies, spamming bleeds onto them, and, when you get enough of them, outright breaking the game by absorbing all of many enemies' attacks' possible targets. You know how most abilities have limits on the number of targets they can hit? So do enemy attacks, and if you put down enough hamsters they can readily eat all of those hits. "Rise!" hamsters also reduce the damage you take by 33%, which is like having Protection all the time, except it also stacks with Protection.

Dagger 4 transfers conditions from you to the target, which is nice when you have instabilities that cause Conditions.

Corrupt Boon is fantastic when there's the boon thief instability because it means when a boss steals quickness, fury, and 25 might you can turn it all into more conditions instead of having a souped up boss beat your brains out.

They can cheese a bunch of stuff with Flesh Wurm, too, because it's a long range blink that can be used for skipping a lot of things.

In the end they're just really, really sturdy while also doing reasonable damage and have decent utility. For super optimized ultra high end play you can put together groups that will speedrun fractals faster (iirc something like Chrono, Warrior, Thief, Ele, Ele will theoretically clear fractals significantly faster than 4 Necro 1 Druid) but Necro is extremely resistant to dying and is relatively easy to play. Most people don't care about trying to set new world records for fractal speedrunning, they care about getting their fractals done with a minimum of party wipes and frustration, and Necrocomp is great at that.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 15, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Do people still slot runes of the traveler the same way they seek out zerker gear, or has something else replaced it and its tasty move speed bonus? Asking for a necro who's probably going to give condi a whirl.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I think everyone has a way to get the 25% speed bonus now. Except Guardians maybe?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
With Staff and "Retreat!" Guardians can keep permanent swiftness on

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use traveler runes as guardian because I don't like the staff. They're great!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

drat that Necro effortpost.
I'm trying to love my Dragon Hunter but the Reaper I made is just such a joy to play.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks. I've had Signet of the Locust on pretty much since I started playing, but wasn't sure if traveler runes were still apparently considered preferable to utility powers.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like anytime anyone talks about what is optimal and what is weak, if it happens to be something that you do you'll make these angry rants about the discussion even taking place.

Because I'm right and people are making this pretty casual MMO into something that sounds harder than it really is. The only "angry" part about any of it for me is when some people take it to the point of wanting to exclude or poo poo on others for playing how they wish and act like if you're not ~optimal~, you're totally poo poo at the game. I've had pleeeeenty of times where I got called out by goons for my gear/stats/skills/etc even though I do perfectly fine in PvE and that poo poo is rather dumb. This game is not exactly rocket science and about the only place where you "need" to be "optimal" in any capacity is raiding or the rear end-end of high level fractals.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Should I use my lvl 80 boost on my necromancer? At 37, it is now my highest level character, I like playing her, and I think it would be cool to start some end game content. Am I going to be gimping myself by skipping 40+ levels?

Also, I was in voice chat for some sort of SFD guild event on Wednesday night but I didn't participate because I had no idea what was going on =O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Boosting up doesn't gimp you at all aside from some incidental rewards.

Remember: A max level character can always go to lower zones for their rewards. Maybe the biggest barrier is the gold or other resource to get you kitted with exotics.

• Locked thread