Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

The best thing about DVa is how mad she makes people who don't like her. She's a hyper-competitive individual who just wants to get in people's heads MACDONLADS.

Sorry haters. ;)
Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cleretic posted:

Careful, people. I got this avatar by talking about exactly this subject in another thread. But here goes anyway!

It's definitely different people bitching about D.Va and Widowmaker, for entirely different reasons. You can't conflate the two just because they're both women. From my perspective, Widowmaker gets justified hate for being painfully oversexualized (Not nearly to Quiet levels, but she's definitely the worst in the Overwatch roster), while D.Va gets justified hate for being just a really loving bad character.

To me, the most aggravating part of D.Va is that Blizzard don't seem to be aware that she's obnoxious and terrible. They've shown awareness and willingness to poke fun at the game's character designs elsewhere (Reaper and Junkrat especially, but most characters get some level of poo poo from other characters) but D.Va gets more love and affection in dialog than any other character by both quantity and percentage. There are more posters of her on walls of the game's maps than Lucio, and his concept is an on-tour international celebrity DJ fitting rounds in between his gigs. She's elevated to quite frankly illogical levels of adoration, and it's just insufferable.

It hurts even more because if you look at her cosmetics, you can see the core of a character that works just so much better. She's got a 'dance party' emote that's brilliantly, deliberately obnoxious and works fantastic for her, but even better than that is the alternate skins that recast her as a really low-end technician sort with a mech made out of a lovely old car. There's ways they could've made her character fantastic, but instead she's very Mary Sue-ish.

Snatch Duster, save us!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

Careful, people. I got this avatar by talking about exactly this subject in another thread. But here goes anyway!

It's definitely different people bitching about D.Va and Widowmaker, for entirely different reasons. You can't conflate the two just because they're both women. From my perspective, Widowmaker gets justified hate for being painfully oversexualized (Not nearly to Quiet levels, but she's definitely the worst in the Overwatch roster), while D.Va gets justified hate for being just a really loving bad character.

To me, the most aggravating part of D.Va is that Blizzard don't seem to be aware that she's obnoxious and terrible. They've shown awareness and willingness to poke fun at the game's character designs elsewhere (Reaper and Junkrat especially, but most characters get some level of poo poo from other characters) but D.Va gets more love and affection in dialog than any other character by both quantity and percentage. There are more posters of her on walls of the game's maps than Lucio, and his concept is an on-tour international celebrity DJ fitting rounds in between his gigs. She's elevated to quite frankly illogical levels of adoration, and it's just insufferable.

It hurts even more because if you look at her cosmetics, you can see the core of a character that works just so much better. She's got a 'dance party' emote that's brilliantly, deliberately obnoxious and works fantastic for her, but even better than that is the alternate skins that recast her as a really low-end technician sort with a mech made out of a lovely old car. There's ways they could've made her character fantastic, but instead she's very Mary Sue-ish.

EDIT:

This is probably the best Yu-Gi-Oh cosplay that's actually possible to do. Anything else would either be too ridiculous, or barely recognizable as being from the show, but this... gently caress, that duel disk is amazing,and he's totally pulling off Joey's look as well as you feasibly can.

Winky face.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
안녕

안녕 안녕

안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

EY FRYMAN, THEY MADE ME A FREAKIN MECHA PILOT CAUSE I SHRED GUITAR SO GOOD!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I gotta hand it to him, that's some crazy accurate joey hair.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Same guy?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Grey Fox posted:

The best thing about DVa is how mad she makes people who don't like her. She's a hyper-competitive individual who just wants to get in people's heads.

Sorry haters. ;)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grey Fox posted:

The best thing about DVa is how mad she makes people who don't like her. She's a hyper-competitive individual who just wants to get in people's heads.

Sorry haters. ;)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Yes. Also this:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Aug 14, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Goddamn, that's amazing.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

quote:

MACDONLADS
Look I hate derails as much as the next guy, but I can't let this one go. The gently caress is a Mac Don Lad?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hahaha, WOW.

Also what the hell is up with D.Va? I stopped playing Overwatch when Competitive Mode ruined it, but in the 6 week span, I don't think I ever heard anything bad about D.Va other than her mechanics being poo poo and needing a buff pretty badly. I definitely never heard anything about Mary Sue...

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hahaha, WOW.

Also what the hell is up with D.Va? I stopped playing Overwatch when Competitive Mode ruined it, but in the 6 week span, I don't think I ever heard anything bad about D.Va other than her mechanics being poo poo and needing a buff pretty badly. I definitely never heard anything about Mary Sue...

She got buffed a little while ago along with Zenyatta. She's way more effective now and Zenyatta became so powerful that they're now talking about nerfing him a bit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fantastic. And I say this as a Symmetra player.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As someone with a D.Va avatar and gang tag, I can safely say I've heard like...two people on SA complain about D.Va's character and that's about it.

D.Va's the best.

Eat poo poo, haters. :dva:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dva is fine you big loving babies

Look at marxy snd widowmaket and their fuxked up dpines you fucks

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

HardDisk posted:

I think you broke your keyboard.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer

:potg:
Amazing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My only beef with D.Va cosplay is that it consists of "Add 1x D.Va Jumpsuit to Cart" and clicking Check Out.

They put some good effort into the boots and earphones sometimes, but in general Gremlin D.Va is much more fun to see.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Didn't realize Marx was in Overwatch. What's his ult?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Didn't realize Marx was in Overwatch. What's his ult?
Abolition of private property.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

안녕

안녕 안녕

안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕안녕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Charlie Sheen?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arcsquad12 posted:

Charlie Sheen?

I was thinking Shoreleave.

Either way anchors away baby!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My only beef with D.Va cosplay is that it consists of "Add 1x D.Va Jumpsuit to Cart" and clicking Check Out.

They put some good effort into the boots and earphones sometimes, but in general Gremlin D.Va is much more fun to see.

I'm going to go ahead and defend the body suits. The good ones are custom sized, so you have to get a ton of measurements (wrist, forearm, upper arm, ankle, calf, etc etc). You receive a piece of printed fabric, that you then have to cut, sew, and fine tune the fit for. It's not as easy as it seems, and custom printing body suits is catching on and making certain kinds of costumes way easier to make.

Photo taken from Kamui's page. Not sure what character this is for, but this is what you receive to work with.

I will agree that gremlin D.Va's are more fun though.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

This is rad and super well-done. I always thought it was very cool that Overwatch had a wide range of body types, and I think it's even cooler to see them genderbent (considering how few plus-size characters there are for bigger girls to cosplay as, and considering how much poo poo they get when they try to cosplay as someone who doesn't match their body type).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Charlie Sheen?

The best costume from any Resident Evil game.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Low Cost Cosplay is brilliant
https://www.facebook.com/Lowcostcosplay

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Yeah, he's my favourite cosplayer

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

Look I hate derails as much as the next guy, but I can't let this one go. The gently caress is a Mac Don Lad?
where you go for hormburgler and chisps

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mind the walrus posted:

D.vA is one of the worst characters Blizzard has ever created and that is saying a lot, which makes the ways the fandom manage to justify her existence all the better.
get hosed, nerd.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Alaois posted:

EY FRYMAN, THEY MADE ME A FREAKIN MECHA PILOT CAUSE I SHRED GUITAR SO GOOD!

same

TenementFunster has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Aug 15, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

get hosed, nerd.

Holy gently caress you're late to the party.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress you're late to the party.
who are you calling a child?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Go to bed dear, the cosplay will be here in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm not a good loser

• Locked thread