Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Saguaro PI posted:

I think you're being uncharitable, Cirno, Paizo devs have at least three more feats they could churn out by tying a mouse cord around a limb and playing cup-and-ball with it.

Cup-and-Ball Proficiency: Your armor check penalty no longer applies to cup-and-ball checks

Improved Cup-and-Ball: You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity when playing cup-and-ball in a threatened square
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +2, Cup-and-Ball Proficiency

Cup-and-Ball Expertise: You gain a +2 bonus to cup-and-ball checks while standing in normal terrain
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Cup-and-Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cup-and-Ball Proficiency: Your armor check penalty no longer applies to cup-and-ball checks

Improved Cup-and-Ball: You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity when playing cup-and-ball in a threatened square
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +2, Cup-and-Ball Proficiency

Cup-and-Ball Expertise: You gain a +2 bonus to cup-and-ball checks while standing in normal terrain

All of which are prerequisites for the Ball-Cupper prestige class. Nobody quite cups the balls like they can.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, I don't know much about his design experience...but if Buhlman and Reynolds are representative of Paizo, I'm sure Chris Cocks can cup the balls better than any of them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanna be the ball cupper? Too bad...

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

:sigh: For the last time, the Cup-N-Baller class is perfectly viable as long as the GM makes sure to include enough encounters that can only be resolved by playing Cup & Ball.

Yes, I realize the 3rd level wizard spell, Magnificent Cup And Ball can achieve the same thing, but that's no problem since it's limited by spell slots and the Cup-N-Baller can play Cup & Ball all day.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
May I suggest you play cup and ball world instead? It really captures how it felt to ball cups as a kid.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Crafty Games's Ballcraft is pretty technical, but I think the complexity really helps simulate playing with balls more accurately, and the cup balance is a great improvement.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Really, the way to go is Balero: The Stickening .

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
To be fair, paizo's Warlock isn't the Warlock, it's the kineticist. And it at least seems like something I'd try rather than the other classes in that book which are either bog standard not wizards or actively terrible.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kurieg posted:

To be fair, paizo's Warlock isn't the Warlock, it's the kineticist. And it at least seems like something I'd try rather than the other classes in that book which are either bog standard not wizards or actively terrible.

Surprise! It's actively terrible.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Of course, none of that matters, because...

Bigby's Beatific Ball-in-a-Cup

Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1 min./level

You recieve a +15 bonus to cup-and-ball checks for the duration of the spell. Usage of the Cup-and-Ball skill no longer provokes attacks of opportunity, and any attackers targeting you for the spell's duration must make a DC25 Will save or cower in shame at the sight of your cup-and-ball performance.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Surprise! It's actively terrible.

Even worse than the class that wrests control away from you if you use your features at all?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Imagine a 3.5 Warlock who has to punch himself in the face repeatedly to use his powers effectively.

Also as a class feature you get the ability to store up punches to the face to avoid taking them later in the day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Imagine a 3.5 Warlock who has to punch himself in the face repeatedly to use his powers effectively.
That's so meta. It's like, he has to pretend he's playing a fighter in 3e to use his actual powers in a 3e campaign setting.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kurieg posted:

The Mesmerist isn't a bog standard not wizard though. The fun part of that class is probably the most original thing and most dynamic aspect to any class in 3.X. Of course 4th edition and 13th Age did off action support long before Pathfinder did but still it was really surprising that it exists. Of course the fanbase hates the class because of how effective that mechanic is...

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 15, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There are ways to mitigate burn and at higher levels having high burn actually makes you stronger (If you pick anything but dex/con for your burn bonuses however you're basically dead) They're fragile but I sort of like the idea of ripping magma out of my brain to kill people and not having Wizard or Sorcerer hovering over my head.

In other news: Monte Cook's latest kickstarter is up, and it's a doozy.

This is the minimum tier, what do you get for all that?

My favorite is the plastic hand.

but it gets better, for $540 plus shipping you can have Monte Cook send you poo poo personally.

quote:

Pledge $539 or more
Control the Black Cube

I summon and control the infamous Black Cube from the void. I receive one copy of the Invisible Sun game, including one of eight random sun medallions. This spell also grants me a special secret of the setting tied to the sun that is active when I make my pledge.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte, which includes 12 months of material handouts and secret packages, sent to me and the other players in my group (see the Directed Campaign for more details).

Further, I get all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additional materials, and more.
Includes

• Copy of the game
• The Directed Campaign
• All Stretch Goal books and other items unlocked
• Medallion
• Sun-based secret

Estimated delivery Nov 2017

quote:

Imagine this: you’ve decided to run an Invisible Sun campaign. The rules aren’t too hard to learn, the setting material is easy to reference, and there’s some great introductory stuff, so you’re off to a great start. But what’s next? What if Monte himself provided you with a bunch of unique ideas? And those ideas came with new artwork, maps, and handouts for your players, and even a few new clues to mysteries in the game besides? And what if, month after month, he kept sending them to you, and occasionally sent you physical packages with even more deluxe props and cool stuff for your game?

Or imagine this: you’re a player in an Invisible Sun campaign. One day, you go to your mailbox and there’s a letter addressed to your character. Inside is an in-world missive about a new opportunity for your character—an invitation to an exclusive party, a welcome letter to a hidden society, or a love letter from a secret admirer who would like to meet your character. You show up at the next game session with this, and suddenly it becomes a part of the game, and a part of your character’s story arc.
You also gain access to the stretch goals only if you back at the $540 tier or higher.

Did i mention that there's a higher?

quote:

Pledge $1,475 or more
Master the Black Cube

I summon and control the infamous Black Cube from the void. In this world of secrets, I will possess secrets that no one else has. I receive a unique copy of the Invisible Sun game.

The unique game includes a personalized note that Monte writes to me, including a singular secret of the setting that only I will ever have access to. The box is signed and personalized, and also includes a unique, secret element that will only be true for my copy.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte and all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additions to the box, and more.

My conjuration also includes all eight sun medallions and a special medallion keyed to the Invisible Sun itself. Only 17 (plus one that Monte will have) of these special medallions will be made. I also gain all the sun-based secrets of the setting, regardless of when I make my pledge.

Plus, I get early access to the game’s rules and can be a part of the playtest, providing feedback. During this process, I’ll provide a character name that will be incorporated into the setting (probably with a spell named after me).

This incredibly potent spell also summons Monte himself for a one-on-one Skype chat with me where I can ask him questions and he reveals secrets of the setting and game available nowhere else.
Includes

• Unique copy of the game signed and personalized by Monte
• The Directed Campaign
• Character/spell named after me
• One-on-one chat with Monte
• Early playtest access
• Medallion (x8)
• Special 9th Invisible Sun medallion
• All Sun-based secrets

Ships to Anywhere in the world
This is also the first level you gain Playtest access at, Or you can add it on.

And if you're absolutely insane?

quote:

Pledge $5,912 or more
Merge With the Black Cube

I summon and merge with the infamous Black Cube from the void. I become one with it. I receive a unique copy of the Invisible Sun game.

The box of this unique copy of the game includes my name in red foil and a special foil symbol found nowhere else—one of the Invisible Sun artists designs it just for me. It includes a personalized note that Monte writes to me, including a singular secret of the setting that only I will ever have access to. The box is signed and personalized, and also includes a unique, secret element that will be true only for my copy.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte, including direct contact with Monte to gain advice and suggestions just for me. I receive all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additions to the box, and more.

My conjuration includes special bronze versions of all eight sun medallions and the Invisible Sun medallion. No more than 3 (plus one that Monte will have) of these special medallion sets will be made. I also gain all the sun-based secrets of the setting, regardless of when I make my pledge.

I get early access to the game’s rules and can be a part of the playtest, providing feedback. During this process, I’ll provide a character name that will be incorporated into the setting (probably with a spell named after me).

With the power of this spell I will meet with Monte and the entire Monte Cook Games design team for an in-person game session in Seattle. (Travel expenses to Seattle not included.) After this game, Monte will reveal secrets of the setting and game available nowhere else.
Includes

• Unique copy of the game signed and personalized by Monte
• Special access version of the Directed Campaign
• Character/spell named after me
• Early playtest access
• Special bronze medallions (x9)
• Game with the MCG design team
• All Sun-based secrets

That is unless you're a verfied retailer, then you get 3 copies of the game at half off.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jesus Monte, don't be building your setting with 'exclusive secrets', that's just all the hallmarks of bad 90's design.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

BrainParasite posted:

Really, the way to go is Balero: The Stickening .

Personally, I only play the retro-clone Globes & Goblets as it really embraces the "balling not balls" mindset that Gary intended.

EDIT: Those add-ons are ridiculous. "You get one of these decks or hands in the $197 box, but are you sure you don't want two? You'll probably need it! Also enjoy 8 dorky necklaces for 107 bucks!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cascade Jones posted:

Personally, I only play the retro-clone Globes & Goblets as it really embraces the "balling not balls" mindset that Gary intended.

EDIT: Those add-ons are ridiculous. "You get one of these decks or hands in the $197 box, but are you sure you don't want two? You'll probably need it! Also enjoy 8 dorky necklaces for 107 bucks!"

Or if you're a Retailer get the necklaces as a pack-in meaning you're getting $700 of customer facing product that you're free to mark up additionally for $300.

You know, if you can actually find someone dumb enough to buy your magic onyx cubes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Watching people on my social media starting threads about Invisible Suns but putting in these ridiculous "this is NOT a place to discuss the cost!" riders or being all "well this looks interesting" when it really doesn't is both hilarious and depressing as poo poo.

e: it's honestly amazing how people are walking on eggshells trying not to say this whole thing looks like a stupid idea. Everyone's all "well, I wish him luck!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am halfway on board with games being made like Once Upon a Time in Shaolin. I think it would be pretty great to have Monte Cook as my GM patronus, sending me new and neat stuff every month for a year. As long as that stuff was for a game better than ones designed by Monte Cook, anyway.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gonna need a couple pulls from that sooth deck to get rid of the headache that ks caused me.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

For perspective:

$6000 could get you:

300 lbs of Chessex dice.
A solid gold set of 10mm dice
A pretty good Black Lotus
8 copies of every 5e book with an MSRP
12 cubic feet of ebony
100,000 8MM Black wooden cubes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What Treasure Type table did you roll that on?!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

What Treasure Type table did you roll that on?!

Treasure Type: Why?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Or slightly fewer than half a million Tic Tacs.

That's a million calories! Enough to sustain an adult human for over a year!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you don't want to run a dungeon where the PCs randomly find 12 cubic feet of ebony and 100,000 wooden cubes, I don't know what to tell you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Watching people on my social media starting threads about Invisible Suns but putting in these ridiculous "this is NOT a place to discuss the cost!" riders or being all "well this looks interesting" when it really doesn't is both hilarious and depressing as poo poo.

e: it's honestly amazing how people are walking on eggshells trying not to say this whole thing looks like a stupid idea. Everyone's all "well, I wish him luck!"

That's what's amused me so much about this. Like, of course, he's going to succeed in his Kickstarter, nerds are maybe the most slavishly devoted fans that exist, but I don't see anyone really even trying to claim anything about this looks good. The best I've seen is "well I've always loved Monte Cook's work and this looks like the sorta thing i would normally be interested in..."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Actually, RPGNet and reddit seem to be okay with saying that the game looks dumb and that the price point is horseshit. I suppose I'm not seeing it much on G+ because most of the people I follow there are industry folks, and regardless of how you feel about a game it's pretty unprofessional to say the kind of things we do here.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I don't get what the hell the hook on this game is. I can't get a good grip it. It looks like some jumble of themes that were popular in RPGs in the 1990s, and it looks like he took the board game/RPG fusion that FFG dips their toes in and pushed past the point of good sense. Other than that I am lost.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I feel like if someone else was doing this we'd think it was a cool idea. An RPG with all the necessary components in one box, with everything themed appropriately, and including unusual game play pieces (a game board in an RPG sounds neat as hell, really) sounds like something right TG's alley. Especially since it also has old school box set pieces that are just there to give it some weight, like that cloth map.

But it's Monte Cook, so the track record tells us it's mechanics will be be D&D 3e with a thin gloss of ideas someone else would make better use of, and the setting will be the least interesting possible take on a clever idea. Notable only for an embarrassing and socially tone deaf gaffe someone will uncover shortly after release.

EDIT: Also the price point is pure nonsense, even with all the stuff in the box. Freemarket did basically this same thing at about a third of the price.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I feel like if someone else was doing this we'd think it was a cool idea. An RPG with all the necessary components in one box, with everything themed appropriately, and including unusual game play pieces (a game board in an RPG sounds neat as hell, really) sounds like something right TG's alley. Especially since it also has old school box set pieces that are just there to give it some weight, like that cloth map.

But it's Monte Cook, so the track record tells us it's mechanics will be be D&D 3e with a thin gloss of ideas someone else would make better use of, and the setting will be the least interesting possible take on a clever idea. Notable only for an embarrassing and socially tone deaf gaffe someone will uncover shortly after release.

EDIT: Also the price point is pure nonsense, even with all the stuff in the box.

Well near as I can tell it doesn't use a d20 as a resolution mechanic, instead it uses the deck because you need the deck to play the "off site" games using the mobile deck app.

But nothing in this box is worth as much as he wants for it. He's asking for 150 bucks to be allowed to playtest for him for fucks sake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EverettLO posted:

I don't get what the hell the hook on this game is. I can't get a good grip it. It looks like some jumble of themes that were popular in RPGs in the 1990s, and it looks like he took the board game/RPG fusion that FFG dips their toes in and pushed past the point of good sense. Other than that I am lost.

Well it has pretty components, talks about how epic and win magic is, and is made by a Name, so that's the hook.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrainParasite posted:

For perspective:

$6000 could get you:

300 lbs of Chessex dice.
A solid gold set of 10mm dice
A pretty good Black Lotus
8 copies of every 5e book with an MSRP
12 cubic feet of ebony
100,000 8MM Black wooden cubes

--pay rent for anywhere from 3 months to a year depending on location
--decent down payment on a car

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

EverettLO posted:

Same. Maybe I'm dumb, but after reading through the Kickstarter page (I didn't watch the video because phone browsing and :effort: ) I still don't get what the game is, how to play, or how I'm supposed to do anything. If I'm going to learn a confusing game draped in "secrets" I will actually skip that and just re-read Evil Mastermind's F&F of The Secret Fire.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Cascade Jones posted:

Same. Maybe I'm dumb, but after reading through the Kickstarter page (I didn't watch the video because phone browsing and :effort: ) I still don't get what the game is, how to play, or how I'm supposed to do anything. If I'm going to learn a confusing game draped in "secrets" I will actually skip that and just re-read Evil Mastermind's F&F of The Secret Fire.

Ah, but if you drop an extra $150, you can get into the playtest and find out...!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bruceski posted:

--pay rent for anywhere from 3 months to a year depending on location
--decent down payment on a car

Hell 6000 paid for my car. Admittedly it's a few years old, but it's solid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As someone in the G+ kicksnarker thread for this put it, for less than the cost of the $1500 semi-extravagance tier, they're going on vacation with their family to another country.

e: there we go, someone saying that you're paying for the "Experience" and you can't put a price tag on that.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 15, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Comrade Gorbash posted:

EDIT: Also the price point is pure nonsense, even with all the stuff in the box. Freemarket did basically this same thing at about a third of the price.

Nah, I'd still think this was stupid even if it was by, like, Greg Stolze or something, the difference being that someone like Stolze wouldn't feel the need to make a $200 RPG that hangs on a bunch of overpriced tat and pretentious boilerplate. And as someone else pointed out, FFG has already done stuff like this before with Warhammer Fantasy 3E which did indeed have some neat and interesting ideas and use components more commonly associated with boardgames, though this had its downsides as well.

Hey actually this reminds me of another Kickstarter project, Keith Baker's Phoenix: Dawn Command, an RPG by the guy who made Eberron that's about reincarnating eternal champions and that uses a card-based resolution system. For $50 backers got the boxed game set which consisted of:

quote:

280 Tarot-sized cards, including Action cards, Lessons, School cards and Challenges.
A softcover book (approximately 120 pages) containing the rules to the game, a guide to the fantasy setting, and a seven-mission story arc.
32 Health tokens and approximately 70 Spark tokens.
Condition tokens to track temporary effects.
Player booklets will be provided as a free PDF download. These provide an overview of the setting and the rules, giving each player easy access to everything they need to know to get started.

So a 120 page book, a 280-card tarot sized deck, a bunch of tokens, plus digital game aids, all for a reasonable price point. But it doesn't have a dorky plastic hand to hold the cards for you, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, uh

what is the game actually about?

I understand there are suns and a box.

That's pretty much all I got, and who the hell drops 500 bucks, sight unseen, for that?

• Locked thread