Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

prefect posted:

Yulia Tymoshenko, right? :swoon:

Yeah the article is this thing, her sending letters of support to Hillary from prison.

http://www.unian.info/politics/604949-yulia-tymoshenko-thanks-hillary-clinton-for-support-in-letter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

What does the new thread title mean? What did I miss over the last 36 hours?

it means donald trump bought na'vis dota team

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I'm going to be charitable and say we only have proof Trump is "owned" by the Russians with all this evidence in the same respect Clinton is "owned" by the EU, Saudi and Israel.

Still, that much at least is proven now. Which I don't think is going to fly with any voters except the true alt-right, which (assuming they actually use their burning spirit in November) is maybe a few percent of the electorate.

If Trump doesn't have some insane truthbombs built up from stuff Manafort or others know, with evidence, he's got no path.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
What if this is why Trump is deliberately tanking his campaign, so he won't ever have to deliver on favors for Russia?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

it's taken me up to recent weeks, but I'm now sure that if DJT made a secret pact to sabotage the Republicans and get Clinton elected, it wouldn't look like this

it's way too unnecessarily damaging to his own reputation. he could absolutely have tanked his own chances just as effectively without making himself look like such a loving wreck, damaging his brand, devaluing everything he owns. he definitely wouldn't have brought in his own children as special advisors, connecting them so visibly and permanently to all this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Brainy, attractive, and outspoken, McCaughey soon found herself tapped to run as New York Governor George Pataki’s lieutenant. To put it delicately, she did not play well with others. Pataki aides quickly pegged her as self-absorbed and self-promoting to the point of disloyalty. Before she was even sworn in, McCaughey used her own money to hire a personal publicist. Once in office, she issued reports and press releases and gave speeches that contradicted her boss’s positions. She was also notoriously rough on staff. One campaign story had her ordering an aide out of her van on the side of a highway. As lieutenant governor, she was accused of using the troopers assigned to her security detail to run her personal errands, prompting Pataki to pull her detail for a couple of weeks. Party leaders and Pataki staffers alike began publicly slamming McCaughey as “unstable,” “paranoid,” and “too bizarre to describe.” The governor cut her out of meetings. In 1996, Republican leaders refused to make her a delegate to the RNC’s presidential-nominating convention.

How did McCaughey handle the pressure? Not so well. She accused Pataki aides of “McCarthyism,” accused the governor of instructing her driver to make her late for official events, and publicly feuded with other members of the administration. When the party refused her credentials to the convention, she tried to go as a member of the media. Word on the street was that she was in talks to become a Democrat and run for Senator Al D’Amato’s seat.

When Pataki dropped her from the ticket in 1997, McCaughey did indeed jump to the Democrats and promptly launched a gubernatorial challenge to Pataki, funded by her second husband, Wall Street financier Wilbur Ross. He was, at the time, still her boss. This is when things got really weird. A couple of months in, McCaughey became convinced Pataki was bugging her phones. She hired a counter-surveillance guy to sweep her home and office; when he didn’t find anything, she allegedly stiffed him his $3,000 fee. She continued to hemorrhage staff, and departing aides continued to trash her in the media. As one ex-staffer told the New York Daily News, “A lot of politicians are out for the limelight, but Betsy’s constant need 24 hours a day was something I’d never seen.”

Sound like a certain presidential nominee?

As it turned out, McCaughey’s husband cut off funding for her campaign just before the 1998 primary election. (The couple split not long after. Two years later, McCaughey sued Ross for $40 million for supposedly breaking his promise to fund her campaign no matter what.)

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Oiled and Ready posted:

I'm going to be charitable and say we only have proof Trump is "owned" by the Russians with all this evidence in the same respect Clinton is "owned" by the EU, Saudi and Israel.

One major difference is that Trump's finances are (likely) a complete wreck, and that's the kind of thing that makes you very own-able. It's not just the money coming in, it's how badly you need it. There's a part of me that thinks that this presidential bid is Trump's last ditch shell-game attempt to avoid getting whacked by the Russian mafia for debts he's been taking on for years and years.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

manafort responds

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Denying the accusations is all well and good, but couldn't he have made a statement that was slightly harder to disprove?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mannerup posted:

manafort responds

Long form trump tweets with a pro writer.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/347191326112112640

That's a terrible statement "Yes I totally worked for the Ukrainian president who tried to become a dictator but it was all through my bank account, no cash!" kind of misses the point.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/HallieJackson/status/765132701674471424

there is the full statement

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
https://twitter.com/JoePrich/status/765141731771682816

https://twitter.com/AJDelgado13/status/765030349504208896

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Fun fact:

On 11 December 2009, Yanukovych called for his supporters go to Maidan Nezalezhnosti Kiev's Independence Square in case of election fraud.[67]

Sound familiar?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Oiled and Ready posted:

Fun fact:

On 11 December 2009, Yanukovych called for his supporters go to Maidan Nezalezhnosti Kiev's Independence Square in case of election fraud.[67]

Sound familiar?

Fun fact:

Trump is owned by the Russians lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Traitorous Trump

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

Fun fact:

Trump is owned by the Russians lol

guess hes not gonna turn into a corncob after all
hes gonna turn into a lovely eastern europ potatoe just like how his wife will look in 20 years

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Trump's new SC shortlist:
- Vladimir Putin with a fake nose and mustache
- Vladimir Putin wearing a wig and a dress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i miss the cult of personality :( fuckin russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The EU, the Saudis, and Israel are the US's main allies in foreign policy, whereas Russia is probably the biggest rival in terms of foreign interest.

Russia recently invaded and annexed the territory of a key regional US ally and is sabre rattling today, while the EU the Saudis and Israel aren't.

Russia is widely acknowledged to be deploying cyberattacks on US institutions, including and not limited to these recent DNC hacks, whereas those other countries are not. The next US administration would be charged with coordinating the US's security from these attacks, and Trump seems terribly relaxed by this.

Clinton, together with most of the US economic system, does have connections to yes, the EU, Israel and the Saudis, but they have all been above the board business dealings relating to the fact that they are massive trading partners. Meanwhile the Trump campaign's dealings are the stuff of off the books ledgers, for services rendered in undermining US policy interests, that Trump works very freaking hard to avoid disclosing.

Clinton's business dealings are diluted by the fact that she gives speeches and collected donations from a ton of organisations and people, all with diverse and conflicting interests. Thus individual deals might sound like a lot but are but small drops in the bucket of her overall finances. Manafort's dealings with Putin form the majority of his recent income and he is doing his Trump work 'for free'.

Clinton's foreign policy is consistent with the general arc of US foreign policy for fifty years. Trump's policy overturns all of that.

So, no, it does not seem like these things are equivalent at all.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Russia recently invaded and annexed the territory of a key regional US ally and is sabre rattling today, while the EU the Saudis and Israel aren't.

the yemenity of my yemenity is my friend

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I take one night off from keeping up with this dumpster sharkplosion of a campaign, and I wake up to Trump being lead by the nose by a literal Russian agent who's received unreported millions in literal black book money.

There's no bottom to this well.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 15, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
saudi scum are engaged in a retarded cold war slash genocide with iran

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fangz posted:

Russia is probably the biggest rival in terms of foreign interest.

I'm old enough to remember when the Democratic candidate made fun of this silly idea.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just got real giddy at the thought of Trump trying to spin and clean up Manafort's mess

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Oh my god. Nothing matters.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Seems like this might not be all of it.

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/764992807236808704

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Fangz posted:

Clinton's foreign policy is consistent with the general arc of US foreign policy for fifty years. Trump's policy overturns all of that.

Yeah that's why I said once people know this picture more clearly it will only appeal to the actual alt-right, not people who picked up the word "globalist" as a brick to lob at Hillary. A few % of the electorate.

The more Trump appeals to my ilk at this point the less likely he will be to win. He hit a nice midpoint between standard GOP and "Bush knew Iraq was predicated on a lie, our wars are for the globalists and the petrodollar not for our own citizens' wealth" way back in like June.

At this point my best hope is that he's a kamikaze redpill but he isnt even focused or articulate enough to make me feel like he's doing more good than harm in that regard.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Joementum posted:

I'm old enough to remember when the Democratic candidate made fun of this silly idea.

What a difference four years makes.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

fart blood posted:

Yeah this is exactly the alt-right few % I was talking about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How many long distance calls do you think Manafort made to hide his Russian mob money before releasing that statement this morning.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Antti posted:

What a difference four years makes.

Putin's third presidency has been kinda nuts in terms of how far Russia has gone off the rails.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Corey was just on CNN and said he retweeted the story to make Hillary and the media look bad. He really made no sense at all with his backpedal.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fushin posted:

Corey was just on CNN and said he retweeted the story to make Hillary and the media look bad. He really made no sense at all with his backpedal.

Where we're going we don't need making sense!

castille
Jan 22, 2015

fart blood posted:

If someone had video of Trump chanting towards Mecca at sunrise and sunset, that might matter, but everything else is okay.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

So do you think it will be Ivanka or Don Jr who gets the campaign manager job next?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Siena polls New York!

Clinton: 50
Trump: 25
Johnson: 9
Stein: 6

:laffo:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

castille posted:

Trump chanting towards Mecca at sunrise and sunset

Oh that Trump and his sarcastic sense of humor! :newlol:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Franco Potente posted:

Siena polls New York!

Clinton: 50
Trump: 25
Johnson: 9
Stein: 6

:laffo:

Trump's gonna take New York and California for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
docs/Ukraine/mytreason.txt

• Locked thread