Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Eph "Epitaph" Phatha
Siobhan "It's Shivvon" Mackenzie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

zyxophoj posted:

Considering Mackenzie's class and extreme spikiness, there's an obvious choice for her:

Agreed.

Buckethead

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade Star posted:

What? Why would Julian be a back up unit? He's going to be frontline every mission he's full health.
I was half-asleep when watching the video last night, so I kind of tuned out you saying Julian's going to be on the front lines when at full health or at least 90% health. My bad.

As for nicknames,

Siobahn: Shredder
Eph: Empanada

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

EggsAisle posted:

So I'm thinking about picking this game up since it's on sale. It looks like fun and I'm enjoying EU/EW, but I'm hesitant about the bug/glitch situation. Everyone loves to say "fix your game, Jake" but to what degree do the errors actually detract from gameplay? I'm a little bothered by reports of LoS bugs/shooting through solid walls and such- it's already frustrating when it happens in EU/EW, and it sounds like it's even worse this time around?

The joke might go over people's heads since we say it so often but 99% of every "fix your game, Jake" is tongue-in-cheek. I've personally never encountered a game breaking bug, or other serious flaw. The tiny, somewhat humorous odd mistakes are plentiful though, mostly harmless, and kind of give the game some charm. XCOM is like goat simulator - they'll fix the game breaking bugs, but leave everything else in because it's hilarious because Jake is too busy to fix his game.

Also I suggest Eph "Phenolphthalein" Phatha. Too long? Don't care. Epitaph is great too.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 14, 2016

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Coffeehitler posted:

As for nickname voting:

Siobhan "Shredder" MacKenzie
and
Eph "Empanada" Phatha

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

GuavaMoment posted:

The joke might go over people's heads since we say it so often but 99% of every "fix your game, Jake" is tongue-in-cheek. I've personally never encountered a game breaking bug, or other serious flaw. The tiny, somewhat humorous odd mistakes are plentiful though, mostly harmless, and kind of give the game some charm. XCOM is like goat simulator - they'll fix the game breaking bugs, but leave everything else in because it's hilarious because Jake is too busy to fix his game.

Also I suggest Eph "Phenolphthalein" Phatha. Too long? Don't care. Epitaph is great too.

You should watch Jade's highlights. There's a great one involving the front of a train just disappearing and leaving a guy exposed allowing an alien as yet unseen in the LP to score an easy kill.

Then there are also incidents of ADVENT Officers floating in the air attached to puppet strings and in one instance acting as full cover.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Even with all the flexibility that the game engine gives for 'procedurally generated' levels and modability, it still unnerves me that they were never able to change it so LoS and shooting actually used the environment properly instead of just saying 'Oh, character X can see character Y, let's just draw a straight line for their firing path.' Then you get people clipping walls and shooting through floors.

I also prefer the old XCOM: EU/EW Long War way of tackling cover which is cover is pretty drat sturdy and doesn't shatter to nothing if you miss a shot in the general direction of the target. The only way to effectively get rid of cover with Long War was Collateral Damage or explosives.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Eth's nickname should be Carne Asada -- she's a beef empanada -- shredded, of course.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GuavaMoment posted:

Lunethex posted:

You should watch Jade's highlights. There's a great one involving the front of a train just disappearing and leaving a guy exposed allowing an alien as yet unseen in the LP to score an easy kill.

Then there are also incidents of ADVENT Officers floating in the air attached to puppet strings and in one instance acting as full cover.

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/77346879

Mostly for clarification, but seriously go watch Jade's highlights, he's like a magnet for XCOM bugs bugs and glitches in every single game ever.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It was Jade's most genuine frustration in a stream ever :allears:

Spoilers, of course, if you care about seeing certain aliens when they're introduced!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Materant posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/77346879

Mostly for clarification, but seriously go watch Jade's highlights, he's like a magnet for XCOM bugs bugs and glitches in every single game ever on every single computer ever.

FTFY

Siobhan "Stingbringer" MacKenzie, because she looks like a mutant bee, and Eph "Kahoreheuaua" Phatha, in honor of his New Zealander roots, and no other reason.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Eph "You See Kay" Phatha

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

When I hear the name Siobhan I think of Trillby's Notes.

Siobhan "it hurts" Mackenzie.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Shredder and Beef

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jenner posted:

Shredder and Beef
Seconded

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GuavaMoment posted:

Jade was also one of the people to find out what happens when you poison a certain bulky alien.
Sometimes they are more serious bugs than others.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Jenner posted:

Shredder and Beef

agreed

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jenner posted:

Shredder and Beef

Short and sweet!

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Can I vote we name someone else Empanada, if only to confuse Jade even more? Otherwise, I'm absolutely for Siobhan "Shredder" Mackenzie and Eph "Beef" Phatha.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Supersonic Shine posted:

Eph "You See Kay" Phatha

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Coffeehitler posted:

I think the loot you got came out of the mission objective box, since it was an item retrieval mission. I mean, it could be that the game bugged out and gave you one of the two or three loot items the snake would have dropped, but I think those boxes give loot.

As for nickname voting:

and
Eph "Empanada" Phatha

:bandwagon:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Shredder feels appropriately Mad Max. That was what I was trying to go with when I wrote her up :)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AradoBalanga posted:

As for nicknames,

Siobahn: Shredder
Eph: Empanada

This is perfect in every way.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Angry Lobster posted:

This is perfect in every way.

Quoting for irony and avatar.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Scribbleykins posted:

Eph "Kahoreheuaua" Phatha, in honor of his New Zealander roots

Them's fighting words mate!

Also I don't really want to vote on the nickname for the character I submitted but I think beef is a pretty good choice. Empanada is a very close second.

Regarding sparks, I assume you can set the Julian voice pack on multiple spark units? Are we going to get to see a double Julian squad at some point?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

Them's fighting words mate!

Aw crikey. :doh:

Y'know, it would really help if one of you two nations got off your asses and got a better more different flag so I wouldn't need to pay attention start watching this LP in fullscreen!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

For the love of god, this. If Jade knows how to pronounce this from the get-go I will be very disappointed.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh come on, that ones not even that hard. It's some dumb drug or sciencey name that's spelt like it sounds.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
In fairness, 'Eph Phatha' is also spelt like I presume it sounds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eph "Iamyour" Phatha

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Jade Star posted:

Oh come on, that ones not even that hard. It's some dumb drug or sciencey name that's spelt like it sounds.

Fee-nol Thay-leen

First year faculty of science stuff. Even Jade can do it.

E: \/ \/ \/ Hm, you're correct. Never heard it pronounced that way though.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 16, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Teledahn posted:

Fee-nolf Thay-leen

fixed

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Teledahn posted:

Fee-nol Thay-leen

E: \/ \/ \/ Hm, you're correct. Never heard it pronounced that way though.

You've never heard it pronounced that way because it's pronounced like you have it. Think of it as two words, Phenol and phthalein that are stuck together. Though the ph is pretty much ignored in the phthalein part.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I phucking hate words that are spelled with ph like that

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Nevermind this is dumb, gently caress that word, no one cares.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
on and on about Jade Star's pronunciations; did anyone submit characters named "Ghoti" or "Raymond Luxury Yacht"?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

FriskyBoat posted:

Can I vote we name someone else Empanada, if only to confuse Jade even more? Otherwise, I'm absolutely for Siobhan "Shredder" Mackenzie and Eph "Beef" Phatha.

Siobhan "Empanada" Mackenzie and Eph "Shredder" Patha

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Just start bringing out like, overspelled french words like "versailles"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FicusArt posted:

Just start bringing out like, overspelled french words like "versailles"

Vercingetorix was unanimously voted the best name in any language by my high school French class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Give everyone a pokemon name

That's all the callsigns.

Lt. Magikarp can do it! Oh look they missed again.

• Locked thread