Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Gattaca. Dystopian future where your genetic makeup determines your future. Protagonist wants to follow his dreams and be an astronaut but can't because his genes suck.

Here's the problem. He has an actual heart defect. They didn't just look at his genes and then arbitrarily decided that he wasn't good enough for no particular reason. His heart is hosed up - he has trouble passing a jogging test on a treadmill. Like dude, you probably shouldn't be an astronaut if jogging may cause your heart to explode. I mean they could just have set the movie now, today, and have a guy subvert medical tests to become a pilot in spite of being legally blind or something. Truly an inspiration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Especially when he's the loving navigator. His heart might give out at literally any moment and doom the rest of his crew to a slow death but I'm supposed to cheer him on?

Seriously, if it was just him being a "love child" or whatever they called people conceived naturally, I'd be 100% behind him and his entire scheme but he should not have gone on that mission.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

You didn't fit Irish in there

There aren't always Irish people. Just usually.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anos posted:

Gattaca. Dystopian future where your genetic makeup determines your future. Protagonist wants to follow his dreams and be an astronaut but can't because his genes suck.

Here's the problem. He has an actual heart defect. They didn't just look at his genes and then arbitrarily decided that he wasn't good enough for no particular reason. His heart is hosed up - he has trouble passing a jogging test on a treadmill. Like dude, you probably shouldn't be an astronaut if jogging may cause your heart to explode. I mean they could just have set the movie now, today, and have a guy subvert medical tests to become a pilot in spite of being legally blind or something. Truly an inspiration!

Sure he was massively irresponsible in his goal but a point of the concept was that he couldn't get any serious career at all. No one would hire a defect due to the possibility of his impending death so his only avenue was the labour that no one actually wants to do.
He was fated to be in the underclass and he rejected that in the biggest possible way.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

Sucks about that girl though.

That they played this straight-faced through the end is my favorite thing on TV, ever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

syscall girl posted:

As I understand it it's based on a graphic novel comic book so they're just trying to adapt it for television.

I watched 5 episodes of the show before giving up. The only thing it had in common with the comics is that the characters had the same names.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Anos posted:

What? No he didnt. He had the PROBABILITY of a heart defect. He was more then a match for everyone else on the treadmills.

Unless youre interpreting his heart racing and getting louder during the scene where his brother was literally in the same room as him as a "defect" and not you know.. him panicking; in which case lol how the gently caress did you interpret it that way?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nutsngum posted:

What? No he didnt. He had the PROBABILITY of a heart defect. He was more then a match for everyone else on the treadmills.

And that was the whole point in all the swimming contest scenes: "You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back. "

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is more an issue with rom-coms in general but it always makes me roll my eyes when movies seem to make the guy the love interest was already dating into this total piece of poo poo to justify her leaving him for the male lead. It works sometimes, but a lot of the time it really feels forced because the writer was "gently caress, gotta make it so the guy she's leaving isn't sympathetic....oh, he's cheating on her!"

The most insane was in Sweet Home Alabama where the male lead is a tremendous shithead who refused to sign divorce papers AFTER BEING ESTRANGED FOR 7 loving YEARS. (This is another pet peeve, same thing in Twister, it never comes across as romantic, it's a massively lovely thing to do) and her fiance is a rich dude who legit loves her, but gently caress that this guy's some hick douche who ~might make something of himself~

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Unless youre interpreting his heart racing and getting louder during the scene where his brother was literally in the same room as him as a "defect" and not you know.. him panicking; in which case lol how the gently caress did you interpret it that way?

Dude he regularly pre-recorded heartbeats from the other guy.

When his heartbeat recorder turns off for a split second, the machine goes loving nuts.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Aug 12, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

(Stranger Things)

It was kinda strange that They decided to drug the sheriff instead of offing him like the cafeteria dude. I guess it could be explained as them not wanting too many "suicides" in a small area, but an "accidental death" could probably have worked.

I think it was more that they didn't want to try and explain what happened to the local chief of police - that's a bit harder than random chef 24

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That they played this straight-faced through the end is my favorite thing on TV, ever.

What do you mean?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nutsngum posted:

There's a scene where he grips his chest in pain because his heart is about to explode from the physical exertion of doing sit ups. Dude shouldn't be on a multi-year space trip.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Thing I didn't like about Gattaca was the score. For whatever reason they gave this futurist dystopian eugenicsland a cheesy Hollywood orchestra. It trivialized the impact of the setting and made the movie feel like lovely Oscar bait.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

God Hole posted:

There's a scene where he grips his chest in pain because his heart is about to explode from the physical exertion of doing sit ups. Dude shouldn't be on a multi-year space trip.

Nutsngum posted:

Sorry but you misinterpreted that scene. His heart is racing but he's using a recording of Jude Laws heartbeat to fool the test. It accidentally disconnects and his real heartbeat can be heard momentarily and that's when he bails. At no point is his heart just as good everyone else on the treadmills.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

OldTennisCourt posted:

The most insane was in Sweet Home Alabama where the male lead is a tremendous shithead who refused to sign divorce papers AFTER BEING ESTRANGED FOR 7 loving YEARS. (This is another pet peeve, same thing in Twister, it never comes across as romantic, it's a massively lovely thing to do) and her fiance is a rich dude who legit loves her, but gently caress that this guy's some hick douche who ~might make something of himself~

As someone that went through this exact same thing (two years, but still) I will never understand how this could possibly be seen as romantic.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Sorry but you misinterpreted that scene. His heart is racing but he's using a recording of Jude Laws heartbeat to fool the test. It accidentally disconnects and his real heartbeat can be heard momentarily and that's when he bails. At no point is his heart just as good everyone else on the treadmills.

I thought it was because those people are genetic Ubermench that they could jog for hours on end with no real exertion? Like even Ivan Drago broke a sweat and heart rate increased in those training montages.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As someone that went through this exact same thing (two years, but still) I will never understand how this could possibly be seen as romantic.

Hasn't signed the papers? Awww, he's still in love. :h:

Why hasn't this premise been used in a horror film where some weirdo kills his soon to be divorcee and her lover?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah his heart is definitely hosed up. From the script:

quote:

MOTHER
(trying to break it gently)
Vincent, you have to be realistic. A
heart condition like yours--

VINCENT
--I don't care. I'll take the risk.

MOTHER
It's not just you they have to be concerned
about. Perhaps we could get you one of
those new pacemakers. They're not perfect
but--

quote:

He writhes in agony on the white-tiled floor - a brutal reminder
of the physical frailty he seeks to disguise.

quote:

For once Jerome is able to sleep unconcerned. It is Irene who lies
awake, head against JEROME'S chest, listening to the sound of
his erratically beating heart. However it has a soothing
effect on her.

quote:

We focus on Jerome's recording device attached to the bottom of
the control panel. It clicks to a stop, indicating that the
bogus heartbeat recording has ended before the workout.

The heartbeat monitor in the observation room suddenly races
from 80 to 250 beats per minute. Lamar catches the discrepancy
out of the corner of his eye but before he can take a second
look, Jerome has whipped his electrode from his chest. The
physician shrugs it off as a glitch in the machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeip-0sUt78

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

The worst for me is Liar Liar, where the ex leaves her current partner because he doesn't tickle her son in an identical method as the lead. :psyduck:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Will have to rewatch the movie then. I still believe the point of the scene is more to show Vincent panicking at being so close to being found out then trying to show how bad his heart arythmia is despite keeping pace with everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOK3PCKH17E

This is the scene in question. Its pretty obvious a tension device in the scene.

Nutsngum has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Aug 13, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

The worst for me is Liar Liar, where the ex leaves her current partner because he doesn't tickle her son in an identical method as the lead. :psyduck:

Well you see God himself came down and fixed him from his career of doing his job as a lawyer and sent him on a magical quest to steal airport equipment and bring down a plane.

It's probably over your head.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mike from Stranger Things seems like a terrible dungeon master.

Your final showdown ends in one shot because someone rolled a natural 14? loving amateur hour over here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mike from Stranger Things seems like a terrible dungeon master.

Your final showdown ends in one shot because someone rolled a natural 14? loving amateur hour over here.

The rest of the table did call him out on it being a poo poo session

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't recall seeing the joker in the purple outfit they have for all his toys and poo poo in the suicide squad movie.

The movie was flaming bullshit but considering there's a 250$ toy out there of him in his purple jacket, and he's not wearing it in the movie, that's just weird.

Also, the scenes in the trailer but not the film. I hate that.

Also, the entire plot being dumb as gently caress, but really that's a rational irritation. Also, bit weird how the main dude in the "What if superman flew into the white house and kidnapped the president, who could stop him" team is a guy who's ability is to shoot bullets real good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't recall seeing the joker in the purple outfit they have for all his toys and poo poo in the suicide squad movie.

The movie was flaming bullshit but considering there's a 250$ toy out there of him in his purple jacket, and he's not wearing it in the movie, that's just weird.

Also, the entire plot being dumb as gently caress, but really that's a rational irritation. Also, bit weird how the main dude in the "What if superman flew into the white house and kidnapped the president, who could stop him" team is a guy who's ability is to shoot bullets real good.

You're talking about toys and really overthinking a movie for kids.

The real question is how does the villain in Jessica Jones get away with wearing Jack Nicholson's suit from Keaton era Batman.

Crossing the drat streams.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNFaAUs2mo

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

syscall girl posted:

The real question is how does the villain in Jessica Jones get away with wearing Jack Nicholson's suit from Keaton era Batman.

He mind controls people into thinking he looks cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Foley sounds of teeth against fork are way too prevalent when people are eating. It's like the characters are just shaking the fork around in their mouth for the food to fall off.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

At least he didn't use a Prince track.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Slime posted:

His powers are subconscious, so all along he never realised that "like my jacket? " wasn't actually a question.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Foley sounds of teeth against fork are way too prevalent when people are eating. It's like the characters are just shaking the fork around in their mouth for the food to fall off.

You SMUG gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxVMf2ozrs

Actually I have no complaints about Requiem other than the fact that the end made me want to nosedive off the balcony of the theater.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

syscall girl posted:

The actor's age was 43 then. Later in the show, they reveal that due to his childhood illness, they started experimenting on him to find a cure. He's too young to understand what's going on, or they don't tell him, so, due to the isolation and experiments, he never truly matured past the age that thinks Killgrave is a badass name. He sees Batman 88 in the theaters around the age of 18, thinks the joker's suit is baller, and goes out and makes a tailor make him one. Don't tell me you didn't make questionable clothing choices in your late teens.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The best part is that this guy is one of the best guys on the team. The others include:

A guy who throws boomerangs real good (gun would be better)
A guy who has wicked fire powers but doesn't want to hurt people.
A big guy who is strong(?) and supernaturally ugly.
A woman with a sword. A craaaaazy sword that collects souls or something, which is never shown except when she talks at it once.
A guy whose literal only ability is to 'climb anything'. You're thinking "Hey, like Spiderman?" No. It's a guy with lovely, slow grappling hooks.
A girl who is crazy and literally has no other abilities. I guess she's athletic? Why she was even put on the team is beyond me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why not a guy that throws guns really good?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why not a guy that throws guns really good?

I mean that might be better than the Boomerang Bogan. I think he throws maybe three boomerangs the entire film.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'm not sure if I heard it correctly but I believe there's a bit in Suicide Squad where Flagg confirms with one of the other military guys that "there's no use in fighting" the zombie things, followed immediately by five minutes of the Squad fighting the living poo poo out of them. Apparently a bunch of army guys with guns couldn't put them down but a couple of guys with guns and a bunch of people with baseballs bats and boomerangs and poo poo did just fine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe you guys don't realize just how good with a boomerang this guy is. Here's a dude who saw a man who can run faster than the speed of light and his response to that was "I'm gonna throw a boomerang at him."

And he did. For years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't remember him actually throwing more than two boomerangs once he joins the Squad in the movie, and one wasn't even at an enemy. He mostly used them as knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

I don't remember him actually throwing more than two boomerangs once he joins the Squad in the movie, and one wasn't even at an enemy. He mostly used them as knives.

He was just preparing his big finale but the fight ended before he could get there.